Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

net cafe scandal posted:

I know I shouldn't be spoiling Bloodborne stuff for myself but wow that boss looks friggin crazy

he's tough. he reminds me of artorias in the way that there is basically never a safe moment in the fight, and healing is always a huge danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
you can tell they spent a lot of development time on his moveset too. there are so many subtle things, like the tells he has for each attack pattern, and the way that a few of those are sort of tricky and similar to bait you into diving close when he tantrums, or dodging away when he's doing a closing distance swipe. my only complaint is that i wish he didn't do the jump attack, mainly because of how it fucks up the camera.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bloodborne has an even better art direction than Dark Souls :dance:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think it's miles better personally. Dark souls was a really fantastic high fantasy setting but I've never seen anything that looks like Bloodborne

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gothic Shithole is a great aesthetic.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

Gothic Shithole is a great aesthetic.

turn your monitor on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've spent a long rear end time just examining statues in bloodborne

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

bloodborne streamlined a lot of things and made the movement+combat a lot more arcadey and actiony, it's the polar opposite of dark souls 2 in terms of gameplay feel. its one of the reasons i can just keep playing it over and loving over again

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

Bloodborne has an even better art direction than Dark Souls :dance:

Bloodborne has immaculate art direction and in my opinion, it should have one the award for Best Art Direction at the VGAs

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

I like the Nun(?) statues.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've been trying to avoid DS3 details, but they posted a new trailer to facebook today and it looks like they're taking a lot of the same leads as bloodborne in terms of area design, which is awesome

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I didn't play it but the videos I saw of the network test looked a lot like yahrnam, which owns

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also, all of the armor in bloodborne is a fashion statement with extremely tiny differences in defense ratings, and all of it offers maximum mobility. this is how it should be in every game tbh

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

also, all of the armor in bloodborne is a fashion statement with extremely tiny differences in defense ratings, and all of it offers maximum mobility. this is how it should be in every game tbh

For real

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
i like horror vacui in art, but i like it in a souls game even more

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

agreed.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i also like that the horror aesthetic really expands what they can do with bosses. a lot of souls bosses (esp in 2) are fairly regular looking armored dudes, but in bloodborne everything is deformed, terrible, half dead, rotting. it's great. i think from has done the whole lovecraft inspired thing better than almost any attempt i've seen in other media, except for maybe alien.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah. Sometimes I'll swap stuff for like all arcane resist but it doesn't really do anything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bloodborne's art direction is really impeccable. The statues are all great and offer hints as to what's really up before any of the reveals, and I love all the Nightmare skyboxes

Bobnumerotres posted:

bloodborne streamlined a lot of things and made the movement+combat a lot more arcadey and actiony, it's the polar opposite of dark souls 2 in terms of gameplay feel. its one of the reasons i can just keep playing it over and loving over again

Yeah, it really feels so drat good to play. I'm gonna miss that sidestep dodge in Dark Souls 3

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it really feels so drat good to play. I'm gonna miss that sidestep dodge in Dark Souls 3

maybe it'll be a ring :pray:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
having rolls for not locked on and quicksteps for locked on is brilliant, and adds a lot to the combat. i too will miss it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat there was blood starved beast just like a regular rear end enemy

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

drat there was blood starved beast just like a regular rear end enemy

running into a boss as an enemy in chalice dungeons is super hosed up.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

sector_corrector posted:

having rolls for not locked on and quicksteps for locked on is brilliant, and adds a lot to the combat. i too will miss it.

For real. Even Zelda did this back on the n64.

Putting like 200 hours Ito Bloodborne makes playing ds2 really hard

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Got to Nightmare of Mensis on my skill character so I decided to try my hand at going through the game fast. I'm at Byrgenwerth with 1:17:00 on the clock. man I'm going to be playing this game forever. time to find an actual speedrun to watch while I get ready to go to bed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hm I wonder what item I have now that triggered this boss when the first time I was here nothing happened

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

In Training posted:

Hm I wonder what item I have now that triggered this boss when the first time I was here nothing happened

you have his skull

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In Training posted:

same. it looks so cool.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

the music is also really good. im stuck on darkbeast paarl

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

apropos to nothing posted:

you have his skull

Was it on the church altar? I forget where I got it

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Really excited to look at the statues.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

In Training posted:

Was it on the church altar? I forget where I got it

yeah its the altar that appears once you raise the lift to the research lab

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love the statutes or petrified corpses(?) in yhargul

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yo what do you guys make of the pebbles being eyes? And roms children having rocky heads? Or the research hall

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know the research hall is like a better version of dukes archives

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I didn't really get the second phase of that fight at all and just blundered through it using like 16 vials

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I love the statutes or petrified corpses(?) in yhargul

they reminded me of the fayth on mt. gagazet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Orphan is loving hard.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

rediscover posted:

Bloodborne has immaculate art direction and in my opinion, it should have one the award for Best Art Direction at the VGAs
I was about to get mad at whatever else won, but it was ori and the blind forest, a really cool game that I love, so it's cool now and I respect the competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Orphan is loving hard.

Still sure that you're going to beat the dlc tonight? :D