Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Thump! posted:

Man, if only that couple knew their explosives well enough, they could've taken out a shitload of retarded and incompetent reporters. Woulda been a net gain for the US media tbh.

Please don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dr Christmas posted:

Um, I think you mean Anders Brevikh, not Julian Assange.

Yes! Sorry, I always get the two confused somehow.

You can be both insane and a terrorist (PP shooter was a wild eyed lunatic), and sane and a terrorist (Hamas/Hezbollah fighters) and a murderer and sane and not a terrorist (Most people convicted of 2nd degree murder). It all depends on the circumstances, even if some rear end in a top hat groups try to pretend that the Insane PP shooter wasn't also influenced by a poisonous ideology that convinced him that PP and Obama were evil.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Sorry. Macabre humor that allows me to laugh keeps me from screaming :shobon:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
@AP 21m21 minutes ago
BREAKING: FBI: Probe so far into Calif. shooters shows signs of radicalization, but not that they were part of terror cell.

Hmm, so it wasn't ISIS after all.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I don't think the Farooq family picked the right lawyer to help them through this tragedy:

quote:

A lawyer for the family of suspected San Bernardino gunman Syed Rizwan Farook floated skepticism about the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary shooting in his efforts to cast doubt on early police findings about the massacre at a county holiday party that left 14 dead this week.

“There was a lot of questions drawn with regards to Sandy Hook and whether or not that was a real incident or not. We just don't know,” Chesley said, in video published Friday by British tabloid The Daily Mail.

The Mail reported that Chesley, asked directly if he questioned the attack at Sandy Hook, said: “There has been a lot [sic] speculation about it is all I would say.”.

In the video, the attorney also suggested there is “a lot of motivation at this time to emphasize or create incidents that will cause gun control or prejudice or hatred toward the Muslim community.”

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

@AP 21m21 minutes ago
BREAKING: FBI: Probe so far into Calif. shooters shows signs of radicalization, but not that they were part of terror cell.

I think you'll find that they were muslims and therefore defacto members of ISIS.

I still wish they'd elaborate a little on what made them decide it was terrorism.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

@AP 21m21 minutes ago
Just like Robert Dear, then.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

@AP 21m21 minutes ago

The narrative is starting to break towards the fiancee being the person who radicalized Syed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

@AP 21m21 minutes ago

It seems pretty obvious to me that there are crime of passion elements to this, even if radicalization was a factor. Why shoot a bunch of people one of them worked with, instead of a more high-density location? It was personal.

It was both a terrorist attack and going postal.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

fknlo posted:

I think you'll find that they were muslims and therefore defacto members of ISIS.

I still wish they'd elaborate a little on what made them decide it was terrorism.

Probably the bombs. They pretty well imply a plan to attack something.

This would go if they were white, black, chinese or Native American.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's beginning to sound like they're the first successful ISIS plan. Despite not having connections to the terror group, they likely felt marginalized and discriminated against to such an extreme that they both hit their breaking point. There's already talk in a few articles about them being subjects of racist remarks from coworkers.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

JT Jag posted:

It seems pretty obvious to me that there are crime of passion elements to this, even if radicalization was a factor. Why shoot a bunch of people one of them worked with, instead of a more high-density location? It was personal.

Right. Dumb rear end TDR said earlier there are "classical elements to a terrorist attack... and this followed it." Which is one of the dumber things he's posted because it doesn't fit the profile the terrorist attacks he's trying to conflate it with.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Talmonis posted:

ftfy

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Why do your own citizens hate your country so much they shoot it up?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

JT Jag posted:

I think they were likely planning something larger, but just decided that this was a target of opportunity and went with it. I dunno, I'd consider it a terrorist attack if there was, y'know, a message or something attached with it, but as it stands it seems like that'd be jumping the gun a bit. They were intending to commit a terrorist attack but decided to go with a workplace shooting first for whatever reason.

Kafka Esq. posted:

300 million people with 100 million firearms and relatively loose regulations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Talmonis posted:

The columbine kids brought bombs and I don't believe that is/was considered terrorism.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

fknlo posted:

The columbine kids brought bombs and I don't believe that is/was considered terrorism.

We even had someone ITT argue it wasn't!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The wife was ISIS in spirit, just had never give through the initiation, of like, met them or talked to them. Like being in the KISS army, but for Muslims.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kafka Esq. posted:

Have you seen our country?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I don't think the Farooq family picked the right lawyer to help them through this tragedy:

He's not wrong

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

And to clarify, I think it clearly was, in a broad sense, terrorism. I am not convinced it was a religiously motivated crime.

And, even if it were/is, it does not and should not distract us from enacting meaningful legislation on gun safety that could have helped prevent these and other tragedies carried out.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Okay, I'm with the dude up the page: I'm pretty sure we're in the farcical alternate timeline.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Right. Dumb rear end TDR said earlier there are "classical elements to a terrorist attack... and this followed it." Which is one of the dumber things he's posted

Where did I say that?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Talmonis posted:

the FBI declared Columbine terrorism?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The narrative is starting to break towards the fiancee being the person who radicalized Syed.

Yeah, based on the fact that it's know Syed worked with a zionist shithead that was very vocal about hating muslims it wouldn't be surprising to find out that his wife was the radicalized one and over time convinced him that the west hated muslims and to stock up on guns and ammo to protect his family when the RoHoWa against them starts. Syed and zionist gets into it at the party, Syed leaves and the two of them return to shoot up the place.

This is just speculation but seems pretty plausible given that the only terrorism connections they've found is liking poo poo on facebook.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Where did I say that?

Like three pages ago. Though in the interest of fairness, those should have been single quotes because I was paraphrasing.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 4, 2015

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, based on the fact that it's know Syed worked with a zionist shithead that was very vocal about hating muslims

Where did this come from?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

the FBI declared Columbine terrorism?

The FBI deserves our thanks for putting themselves in harms way

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Didn't the crazy joker guy who shot up the movie theater booby trap his apartment with bombs? Was that called terrorism?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like three pages ago.

Can't find any match to what you quoted

Edit oh hahaha I see what happened

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

They released the victims names yesterday and one of them happened to be a messianic jew that would complain about ISIS and muslims.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

fknlo posted:

Didn't the crazy joker guy who shot up the movie theater booby trap his apartment with bombs? Was that called terrorism?

No, but then again as far as we can tell he had a real mental illness and was not acting out of some larger ideology.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

fknlo posted:

IIRC he just had wires leading into jars of gasoline because he didn't know/was too crazy to make bombs.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McDowell posted:

That is the whole point - people like Adam Lanza and this couple weren't just lashing out - they were intentionally trolling to create cultural dissonance. This is a more nuanced definition of terrorism than 'political/ideological violence', in my opinion

From a few pages back. I completely agree with this. The facts surrounding this shooting are so unique and yet they still have elements that are common to terrorist acts. It's unique nature is what makes it so much more frightening. The most frightening commonality between the two is that there really is no way to stop either one from happening again.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Hulk Krogan posted:

http://nypost.com/2015/12/03/california-massacre-victim-ranted-about-muslims-on-facebook/

Dude was pretty vocal about his hate boner for muslims.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Kafka Esq. posted:

Do you even follow this thread?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

radical meme posted:

From a few pages back. I completely agree with this. The facts surrounding this shooting are so unique and yet they still have elements that are common to terrorist acts. It's unique nature is what makes it so much more frightening. The most frightening commonality between the two is that there really is no way to stop either one from happening again.

NPR interviewed one of the survivors yesterday and the really chilling part was when he described having known Syed for over 2 years and thinking he was a pretty chill, if a bit closed off, type of guy. He even mentioned congratulating Syed when his baby was born and it's just nuts to think that a guy you could consider a nice coworker just show up to a party and start executing people. Ugh.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So, uh maybe this was part of it?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Raskolnikov38 posted:

IIRC he just had wires leading into jars of gasoline because he didn't know/was too crazy to make bombs.

Honestly, I've wondered on several occasions why American terrorism is all about guns and fire and practically never about "stuff a bunch of gunpowder and nails in a pipe or pressure cooker". Lack of knowledge is probably a big factor, as is the mega-easy availability of guns and the untraceability of gasoline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Have you seen our country?

This guy seemed to have a pretty good life here...

• Locked thread