Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TorakFade posted:

OK so I will be restarting a France game soon and enact my revenge over Austria.

What's the accepted "best" idea set for France? I'm thinking:

- Influence (grab vassals in the first few decades, then influence gives me more money, troops and lessens the impact of the inevitable massive AE pileup)
- Exploration (bolster my economy and prestige with a big colonization effort, grab the best land early, integrate natives for fast growth with that France idea)
- Offensive / Quantity (smash everybody either with godly generals or overwhelming numbers)
- Admin (by this time I should be tough enough to start grabbing the real good, developed land in Europe from the big guys and I'll need mercs / reduced core costs)
- Economic (more money, less inflation = loans and cash to fuel CONSTANT WAR)
- the other military idea that I didn't pick before
- Humanism to appease the clusterfuck of culture/religion that I will be by now
- whatever, probably Innovative just for the epic policies it unlocks

does that sound about right? I'm not sure about admin, I don't really like using huge amounts of mercs because I'm not that good at managing my economy, but everybody rates it as a top tier group...

VDay posted:

Looks pretty good. Ideas are fairly balanced nowadays, so pretty much any ideas you go with will be fine as long as you actually focus on taking advantage of them. Only changes I'd think about would be taking Quality instead of Quantity and Trade instead of Economic. France is big enough that you'll be able to field a sizeable army even without Quantity, and Quality will push your already-good troops into godmode. Then I'd take Trade since by then you should have a pretty good grip on the New World so Trade will help you lock down the flow of income so that it goes directly to you rather than being spread out across multiple end nodes where other European countries can get a piece for themselves.

And yeah Admin's a good idea set, even if you don't actually plan on using a ton of mercenaries. The core creation cost bonus makes a very sizeable difference, especially on big provinces in the mid/late game like you mentioned.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say Trade is superfluous as a colonizer. You get +5% global trade power for each colonial nation plus bonus merchants for CNs and trade companies. I'd only recommend Trade if you're not colonizing.

Taking two diplomatic idea sets in a row while also planning to go colonial will be tough since you also need DIP tech 7 to start colonizing. Make sure once you unlock the relevant Exploration ideas you have a Conquistador doing Search for the Seven Cities because that rakes in lots of free monarch points and you're likely to get some sweet permanent modifiers.

I would suggest going something like
Exploration
Administrative
Influence & a military idea for your 3rd and 4th picks, order depends on point income
another military idea fifth

Yashichi posted:

Does this work for Tengri? I was under the impression that pagan rebels can't convert you, and that's why Judaism was broken a few patches ago
Yeah you won't be able to flip back to Tengri.

Also, you can't get a free westernization from Danzig anymore which is relevant to the Russia chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Pellisworth posted:

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say Trade is superfluous as a colonizer. You get +5% global trade power for each colonial nation plus bonus merchants for CNs and trade companies. I'd only recommend Trade if you're not colonizing.
Yeah that's a fair point. I just really enjoy taking Trade because it gives you that extra edge to really cut all your rivals off from your precious trade income.

quote:

Also, you can't get a free westernization from Danzig anymore which is relevant to the Russia chat
Aw that's a bummer :( Well time to be best friends with Sweden again. Luckily Russia doesn't need any tech advantage if you just colonize Siberia and pick on the northern Asian/steppe nations while waiting for westernization to finish.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I wanted to ask how essential this expansion is compared to, say, Art of War. How much fun is it and is the new internal faction system frustrating or cool?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Pellisworth posted:

Taking two diplomatic idea sets in a row while also planning to go colonial will be tough since you also need DIP tech 7 to start colonizing. Make sure once you unlock the relevant Exploration ideas you have a Conquistador doing Search for the Seven Cities because that rakes in lots of free monarch points and you're likely to get some sweet permanent modifiers.

I would suggest going something like
Exploration
Administrative
Influence & a military idea for your 3rd and 4th picks, order depends on point income
another military idea fifth

On second thought, I guess I'd like focusing on Europe more, colonizing is kinda boring. Does it still make sense to grab exploration later on, say as a third or fourth idea set, just for fun, or is it a complete waste?

I could go influence, admin, military then exploration if so...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TorakFade posted:

On second thought, I guess I'd like focusing on Europe more, colonizing is kinda boring. Does it still make sense to grab exploration later on, say as a third or fourth idea set, just for fun, or is it a complete waste?

Yeah colonizing is mostly a vanity project as a European, if you're doing same-continent colonies in Africa, Asia, or the New World it's a lot more important. Influence/Admin/Mil idea is pretty much the power-expansion opening.

I would say maybe go Expansion fourth or fifth. Only one colonist, but that will let you establish some overseas ports. The CB gives you an easy way to bite off chunks of Asia and Africa.

Colonial provinces are really cheap to take in wars and since you're France you can just let the Iberians do the early colonizing for you, then beat them up and take all their poo poo for almost no warscore and coring cost.

You could still take Exploration fourth and get good mileage out of it, up to you.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Dorkopotamis posted:

I wanted to ask how essential this expansion is compared to, say, Art of War. How much fun is it and is the new internal faction system frustrating or cool?

It's honestly probably overpowered. I haven't had much trouble making my factions work for me.

That said, it has great potential. I have only ever triggered a faction disaster intentionally, but there are some random events that should make them more likely.

My only true frustration is that when a faction gets disloyal, it adds a ton of RR to every province the faction controls. If you've scattered them throughout the country then the ensuing rebellion will be Annoying As Hell.

In the meantime, I enjoy that it encourages you to make factions strong, but not too strong, in order to reap maximum rewards. To date, I have demanded cash, demanded manpower, demanded MP (you can get 100/100/100 every 20 years really easily, although you can bump that to 150/150/150 if you have guts of steel, and can at least get a consolation prize of 200 out of an estate if you let them run the country).

Actually I'm going to diverge here. I think that's actually kind of amazing for country customization. For example, Prussia needs its own noble faction called "Junkers" that don't create a noble republic and Prussia should probably let them sit on 100% influence at all times. Also Junkers should give discipline bonuses. The default Prussian bonuses should be scaled back a bit.

In fact, I'm not sure that factions should ever change government type. I think it should be entirely viable to declare "This faction runs the country" as a way of hyper-specializing yourself.

Getting back to the topic, there are a lot of other neat ways to use estates - free generals, admirals, bonuses to colonization, etc. Balancing it against the threat of making them too strong is neat. Use your estates and use them a lot.

tl;dr: Estates are useful and pretty fun. I disagree with some implementation details but not to a strong degree. I overall think they are a very positive addition to the game.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

You bumping autonomy? I'm playing as Mongolia and not having any issues at all. You do have to keep a close eye on where the separatists are at, and be ready for when they're going to revolt though.

hey, no, i wasn't. thanks for this. i started over with Uzbek, making sure to do this on everything i conquer now. much much smoother. it also lets me handle the overextension from keeping stuff uncored to raze. i also made sure to grab that gold province from kazan, i didn't see it before. really helps a ton.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

shallowj posted:

hey, no, i wasn't. thanks for this. i started over with Uzbek, making sure to do this on everything i conquer now. much much smoother. it also lets me handle the overextension from keeping stuff uncored to raze. i also made sure to grab that gold province from kazan, i didn't see it before. really helps a ton.

Razing makes me wish it were possible to dynamically generate vassal countries, so that I could conquer a stretch of territory, raze it to the ground, and then put some kind of puppet duke in charge of it. <Joke about that being how Russia was formed here>

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Get exploration first or not at all. More than any other activity in this game, colonization benefits from getting in early and building colonial nations that can then supplement your colonization with their own, grabbing all the trade power bonus provinces, etc. The benefit of being the 6th person to start colonizing is much less than being first or second.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah colonizing is mostly a vanity project as a European, if you're doing same-continent colonies in Africa, Asia, or the New World it's a lot more important. Influence/Admin/Mil idea is pretty much the power-expansion opening.

I would say maybe go Expansion fourth or fifth. Only one colonist, but that will let you establish some overseas ports. The CB gives you an easy way to bite off chunks of Asia and Africa.

Colonial provinces are really cheap to take in wars and since you're France you can just let the Iberians do the early colonizing for you, then beat them up and take all their poo poo for almost no warscore and coring cost.

You could still take Exploration fourth and get good mileage out of it, up to you.

I like beating kids up and stealing their candy. Influence/Admin/Mil it is then. After that I'll see, it's probably going to be Exploration 'cause useless diplo points, if previous games are any indication, not many AI countries colonize at a fast rate anyways so if you really want to get something done you have to do it yourself. Also the cities of gold, treasure fleets, etc. (also, RNW or is it best to leave the historic NW?)

I also think economic ideas might not be really worth it, I never took trade or economy ideas and always had loads of cash past the starting period. Might have something to do with never using mercenaries though...

New plan :
- Influence
- Administrative
- Quality
- Exploration
- Offensive
last ones Humanism/Innovative/Economic/??? depending on situation

Idea groups are very well balanced, I'd like to get every one of them and all could be very useful for every nation.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Trujillo posted:

Heads up for anyone getting For Odin, Greenland is part of Scandinavia but if you have a Canadian CN it'll go to them so you have to release them and take it. It stumped me for a minute since they're the same color.

Any tips? I've tried some NA and European starts but can never really get things going. In Europe I always get curb-stomped by some Catholic alliance since I have a hard time finding my own allies and in NA the cost of being Western or High American undoes any ideas that I think would be needed to return to Europe.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

shallowj posted:

I wouldn't say it's good to do it automatically to every province you take. I haven't tried hordes yet with this new patch but having low-0% autonomy is pretty important and it doesn't go down during war (without an extra idea or modifier lowering it) and I would think a horde would want to be fighting a lot. I usually go the other way when I take territory and lower the autonomy and only bump it up if it's an island that I don't want to have to assault. If you hold off on taking more territory until after you deal with the first wave of rebels from the land you just took they shouldn't be too much of a problem but if they still are then maybe try only raising it in 50-75% of new provinces and go from there. Once your army is big enough rebels stop being a threat so raising autonomy at that point of the game would be a waste.

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Any tips? I've tried some NA and European starts but can never really get things going. In Europe I always get curb-stomped by some Catholic alliance since I have a hard time finding my own allies and in NA the cost of being Western or High American undoes any ideas that I think would be needed to return to Europe.

There are probably 1000 ways to do it but what I did was start as a republic with a leader with 5 mil, London, Essex, Marches, the province south of Marches, and Meath, plus 5% discipline and a land forcelimit modifier and pick the deity that gives you 5% discipline. The first 5 tries I didn't take London but took some other 5 provinces in Britain because London is so expensive but each time England would eventually crush me so you need London to weaken them. England starts with a 0/0/0 ruler and will probably have trouble early on with France/civil war/lollards and you when you get 2 mil techs ahead of them. You'll probably get a mission to take over something in Ireland at the start. Take it and start a claim on another Irish country and take over Ireland, leaving one or two of the Irish countries as vassals if you want to cut back on rebels. From there you'll be a decent size to be able to take out Scotland or England depending on what happens diplomatically. As for allies, try raising relations with Sweden. Once you're big enough and they're free of Denmark they were friendly every time for me. You don't have to start in Britain but it's the safest place for a non-Christian to be in Europe once you get a navy and England is the single biggest roadblock to getting the achievement so destroying them from the inside at the start makes sense.

Just make sure to watch your AE in the peace deal for what countries might coalition you by hovering the mouse over the AE part on the negotiations window since you'll have less leeway than if you were Christian. I accidentally took too much of England at once and got most of western Europe in a coalition war against me that I only won because the Burgundian succession fired and ~30k of the enemy that were besieging London went up in smoke.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 4, 2015

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Are you sure about that?

The territory requirement is Gdansk or Krakow with <1 Separatism. Is the tooltip just wrong?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It seemed to be missing from the decision when somebody was playing during one of the dev streams. But maybe it varies by tech group; I believe the stream was somebody playing the Ottos, but Russia still definitely can westernize off of Danzig.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Dibujante posted:

Actually I'm going to diverge here. I think that's actually kind of amazing for country customization. For example, Prussia needs its own noble faction called "Junkers" that don't create a noble republic and Prussia should probably let them sit on 100% influence at all times. Also Junkers should give discipline bonuses. The default Prussian bonuses should be scaled back a bit.

In fact, I'm not sure that factions should ever change government type. I think it should be entirely viable to declare "This faction runs the country" as a way of hyper-specializing yourself.

These are pretty cool ideas.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

It seemed to be missing from the decision when somebody was playing during one of the dev streams. But maybe it varies by tech group; I believe the stream was somebody playing the Ottos, but Russia still definitely can westernize off of Danzig.

I think it might be the case that only one nation can take Western Focus now? In the dev game Groogy took the decision as Russia and westernised, so it is definitely possible.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm liking Estates a lot so far because it gives smaller countries a nice power boost early on. Theodoro, for example, gets the base 3 estates plus Cossacks since it's right in the Steppes so you can get the free army summon along with the cavalry bonuses. You can also get to converting territory sooner since the Clergy gives -2 unrest and at high loyalty +2% missionary strength. I also noticed that Burghers will increase the gold production which is great but I'm not sure why because I thought gold was exempt from production bonuses. Nevermind it was some weird autonomy thing.

The only thing is I haven't checked if there's an Estate map overlay although I'm sure there is one.

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 5, 2015

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
So, thread. Should I drop 20 bucks on Cossacks or no?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, probably.

Eej posted:

The only thing is I haven't checked if there's an Estate map overlay although I'm sure there is one.

There is.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Re: Westernizationchat

I just checked some of the major powers cause I was curios. Poland/Ottomans/Hungary can only do Vienna/Prague, but Novgorod and Muscovy can use Danzig and Krakow.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Yes

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I believe that I have finally found that most elusive of Kantian constructs, the "Synthetisches Urteil a priori", which is that all Paradox expansions are purchase-worthy.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Another Person posted:

I think it might be the case that only one nation can take Western Focus now? In the dev game Groogy took the decision as Russia and westernised, so it is definitely possible.

Ottoman version of the decision is Prague or Vienna, Russian is Danzig or Krakow. It's not universal and which is available to you is probably based on your technology group.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Sheep posted:

Ottoman version of the decision is Prague or Vienna, Russian is Danzig or Krakow. It's not universal and which is available to you is probably based on your technology group.

It's based on culture, Finno-Ugric/East-Slavic need Danzig/Krakow, all others Prague/Vienna.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
So I got this event with no options to select, and then my game crashed.

Three months and a day after I reload the save file my game crashes again

save is kill

Scrree fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 5, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On the bright side at least pause on event stays paused after hitting OK with today's patch.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Westernizing off of cities in Eastern tech countries seems a little strange for me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mygna posted:

It's based on culture, Finno-Ugric/East-Slavic need Danzig/Krakow, all others Prague/Vienna.

And also only one nation in the world can take the decision, because it sets a global flag that prevents other nations from taking it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Eej posted:

On the bright side at least pause on event stays paused after hitting OK with today's patch.

Oh thank christ. It's such a minor dumb thing but that was absolutely killing me.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
That's odd. I assume this isn't supposed to be happening? It's the only demand I'm making here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Scrree posted:

So I got this event with no options to select, and then my game crashed.

Three months and a day after I reload the save file my game crashes again

save is kill

This is why you shouldn't buy cossacks, or even update your game for a few more weeks.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really wish the AE notification in the peace window would stop lying. It says 33 AE but holding the mouse cursor over it reveals it's actually way above that for half the HRE. I know the HRE gives extra AE but if it doesn't tell the proper value on the window there is no point in even displaying a number there.

Strudel Man posted:

That's odd. I assume this isn't supposed to be happening? It's the only demand I'm making here.

The diplo point cost and gained prestige doesn't match up either. Try clicking Clear Offer and select the vassal again to make sure. Sometimes weird things can happen if you're fiddling around with a lot of taking provinces, releasing nations and vassalising before settling on one thing.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I got a really cool RNW. It is absolutely massive, 3 super continents. The trade does not go to Europe. Or China. It stays in the New World. It is almost all arid land, so about half of the land there has a 10% chance of gold (I have gotten none yet tho despite starting in the new world and having spent 150 years there).

It has 3 different end nodes on it. One on the Southern most point, one in the Northeast, and one in the Northwest. There is an insane web of trade flow right in the very middle of the 3 continents.

e; actually, it does go to nippon. way less cool.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 5, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Poil posted:

I really wish the AE notification in the peace window would stop lying. It says 33 AE but holding the mouse cursor over it reveals it's actually way above that for half the HRE. I know the HRE gives extra AE but if it doesn't tell the proper value on the window there is no point in even displaying a number there.

The diplo point cost and gained prestige doesn't match up either. Try clicking Clear Offer and select the vassal again to make sure. Sometimes weird things can happen if you're fiddling around with a lot of taking provinces, releasing nations and vassalising before settling on one thing.
There wasn't really any fiddling around. I didn't use 'clear offer' specifically, but it went to 0 properly when I had everything deselected, and then went straight to 60 when I picked vassalize.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Missed out on being Emperor of the HRE because I couldnt secure an alliance with an elector because I have a negative opinion of them. Why is this even a thing

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Uhh, my current save says achievements are disabled because "this savegame belongs to another user or is edited".

After some googling it looks like it's the hotfix's fault. That's a shame, I had a really good run going with a custom nation :negative:

Elman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 5, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Have the leaderboards just not updated in more than a day for anyone else? I just checked my campaign again and it's the same as it was even though I ought to have like twice the points.

e: this is v. important

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I have a 350k coalition against me and no military idea groups yet. Wish me luck, going to hide in the mountains.

it's 1487

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

I have a 350k coalition against me and no military idea groups yet. Wish me luck, going to hide in the mountains.

it's 1487

How the gently caress did you manage that

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yashichi posted:

How the gently caress did you manage that

As Venice I attacked Byzantium, Albania, Serbia, Wallachia, Bosnia, Naples, final war was against Genoa and when I peaced out the Coalition became massive. The no-cb vassalization of Wallachia may not have helped.

The Ottomans decided to ally Austria and joined against me.

My allies PLC, France, Tunis, Mamluks, and Brandenburg.

We were outnumbered 3-4 to 1 and got merked pretty bad.

I think most of my games end in massive coaltions sometime between 1460-1600. I just keep trying to push for more and like playing in the European thunderdome.

Edit: pause on events is still unpausing after I click on the event, I wish it wasn't this way.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
The game just ate my save. I thought the hotfix was supposed to fix that.

Patch bad. :mad:

• Locked thread