Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Toshimo posted:

I don't even get what you are arguing.

It's pretty simple.

Murder isn't ok.

Neither is the fact that we, as a county, are persecuting a portion of the population.

When people get mercilessly attacked at home, at work, in the news, by the politicians that supposedly represent them, yeah, the most unhinged and desperate are going to turn to violence.

So maybe everyone should be less lovely to each other as a start. Maybe this rear end in a top hat who was picking fights on Facebook and while IN THE OFFICE WHILE OTHERS LISTENED ON THE PHONE shouldn't have done that. I'm not suggesting in the slightest that we can point at him and pin it on him. I'm just saying maybe EVERYONE BEING lovely SHOULD TONE DOWN THEIR RHETORIC. Not because it will prevent incidents like this, it probably won't. But because maybe we should just not be lovely to each other.

I never condoned lovely office people, you are projecting massively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Unzip and Attack posted:

I think you should re-read the statement you quoted. No one is saying the alleged douchery of the murder victim in any way justifies the murder. What people are saying is that it establishes a potential motive for the killings. If you can't understand the difference there, then no one can help you.

it's true, it's important that we really emphasize how high the heels were and how short the skirt was in order to establish the motive

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Yeah the post you quoted is condoning the murders. Did you cum yet?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah the post you quoted is condoning the murders. Did you cum yet?

No, and you are disgusting

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Nor is anyone actually arguing a point I saw read earlier: that the chances of being shot mean that freedom of speech should be restricted to avoid offending people.

What people are trying to argue is that being diplomatic rather than being an argumentative, arguably hateful, hothead goes a lot further towards resolving these disputes peacefully rather than in a bloodbath.

There shouldn't be a dispute in the first place, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If you don't like what someone is saying stop listening.

LGD posted:

it's true, it's important that we really emphasize how high the heels were and how short the skirt was in order to establish what the motive here was

She let me take her out to dinner so I'm owed. :colbert:

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Hey hey hey, in my emails, Newsweed says "Are Republicans or Democrats responsible for San Bernadino?"

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SnakePlissken posted:

Hey hey hey, in my emails, Newsweed says "Are Republicans or Democrats responsible for San Bernadino?"

Facebook is the real culprit IMO.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Toshimo posted:

I don't even get what you are arguing.

It's pretty simple.

Murder isn't ok.

Neither is the fact that we, as a county, are persecuting a portion of the population.

When people get mercilessly attacked at home, at work, in the news, by the politicians that supposedly represent them, yeah, the most unhinged and desperate are going to turn to violence.

So maybe everyone should be less lovely to each other as a start. Maybe this rear end in a top hat who was picking fights on Facebook and while IN THE OFFICE WHILE OTHERS LISTENED ON THE PHONE shouldn't have done that. I'm not suggesting in the slightest that we can point at him and pin it on him. I'm just saying maybe EVERYONE BEING lovely SHOULD TONE DOWN THEIR RHETORIC. Not because it will prevent incidents like this, it probably won't. But because maybe we should just not be lovely to each other.

We'll never know why Muslims kill people but it is clearly their problem and has nothing to do with the culture that encourages people to hate them. All these attacks happen in isolation and there is never a motive that implies that someone was wrong for having an opinion. All opinions and are equal and we should only hate the people who hate our freedoms. Who just so happen to be Muslim.

Game, set, match.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
The question that I actually came here to ask, because I don't know about gun laws, is how these people got assault weapons and that much ammo in the first place?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

No, and you are disgusting

Keep tossing out accusations of tacit approval for mass murder. You'll get there.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mulva posted:

There shouldn't be a dispute in the first place, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If you don't like what someone is saying stop listening.

Wow. That's so easy. Why did I not think of not listening to the dude yelling at me at my government job about how lovely ~my people~ were while everyone else just nodded along or looked away uncomfortably?

Honestly, I'm p glad I'm a 18-35 white male right now so I don't have any problems, but man, it's pretty poo poo that people are just expected to sit there and take abuse non-stop from every angle and just lump it because how dare we tell people not to advocate hate speech.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Unzip and Attack posted:

Keep tossing out accusations of tacit approval for mass murder. You'll get there.

Are you like, schizophrenic

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

The question that I actually came here to ask, because I don't know about gun laws, is how these people got assault weapons and that much ammo in the first place?

Probably Arizona

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

IIRC everything but the extended :siren: MAGAZINES :siren: were 100% legal purchases in CA, with the :siren: MAGAZINES :siren: being straw purchased by someone else.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

A Winner is Jew posted:

IIRC everything but the extended :siren: MAGAZINES :siren: were 100% legal purchases in CA.

So it's legal for someone to buy an apartment full of weapons and ammo for personal reasons and not be on any kind of list. Super

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

So it's legal for someone to buy an apartment full of weapons and ammo for personal reasons and not be on any kind of list. Super

Yes, welcome to the US of A. :patriot: :911: :patriot:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

whoops

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bought them online, although they haven't said if the killers bought the guns.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mulva posted:

The problem is that this is also what the abortion protesters outside of Planned Parenthood are saying. And then they go back to sticking a big picture of a miscarriage in front of your face and call you a whore for considering Planned Parenthood.

This absolutely should have been handled through HR, and it is unequivocally unacceptable to become radicalized as a result, but if you are going day to day being harassed for your religion and you CAN NEVER GET AWAY from it because the people at Starbucks, at the mall, at the DMV, at work all do the same thing, it is possible to comprehend why someone would become angry and bitter about it.

If fewer people harassed other people and acted generally lovely about these things, there would be far less of a pervasive reason to become angry and bitter in the first place.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Trabisnikof posted:

Bought them online, although they haven't said if the killers bought the guns.

Did the guns that they bought have any purpose besides killing people? I really wish there was a cheat sheet for gun types, because I don't really see or handle any here (they are more or less banned in my area)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Did the guns that they bought have any purpose besides killing people? I really wish there was a cheat sheet for gun types, because I don't really see or handle any here (they are more or less banned in my area)

you can shoot targets with any gun, therefor all guns have a non-killing purpose

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yes, welcome to the US of A. :patriot: :911: :patriot:
I wonder, if someone goes into a gun shop and says give me three rifles, four shotguns and two handguns, are they any more likely to be looked at by the FBI or whoever than if they go to nine different gun shops and buy one each?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Trabisnikof posted:

you can shoot targets with any gun, therefor all guns have a non-killing purpose

Generally I'm against putting people on lists, but if my neighbor has that many guns I would really like someone higher up to like, know about it

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder, if someone goes into a gun shop and says give me three rifles, four shotguns and two handguns, are they any more likely to be looked at by the FBI or whoever than if they go to nine different gun shops and buy one each?

Remember that scene in the first terminator where he has a huge shopping list of guns and the guy selling them just says "ok"?

Yeah, it works like that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Neither, the federal government can't track gun ownership until a crime is committed:

quote:

There is no national database of guns. Not of who owns them, how many are sold annually or even how many exist.

Federal law bars the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives from keeping track of guns. The only time the government can track the history of a gun, including its first buyer and seller, is after it's used in a crime...

(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/29/gun-crime-tracing-weapons-difficult_n_2572908.html)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Toshimo posted:

Wow. That's so easy. Why did I not think of not listening to the dude yelling at me at my government job about how lovely ~my people~ were while everyone else just nodded along or looked away uncomfortably?

Honestly, I'm p glad I'm a 18-35 white male right now so I don't have any problems, but man, it's pretty poo poo that people are just expected to sit there and take abuse non-stop from every angle and just lump it because how dare we tell people not to advocate hate speech.

Doing the right thing sucks sometimes.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The problem is that this is also what the abortion protesters outside of Planned Parenthood are saying. And then they go back to sticking a big picture of a miscarriage in front of your face and call you a whore for considering Planned Parenthood.

And as much as I disagree with them, I agree that they should be allowed to be there as long as they are on public property.

quote:

This absolutely should have been handled through HR, and it is unequivocally unacceptable to become radicalized as a result, but if you are going day to day being harassed for your religion and you CAN NEVER GET AWAY from it because the people at Starbucks, at the mall, at the DMV, at work all do the same thing, it is possible to comprehend why someone would become angry and bitter about it.

If fewer people harassed other people and acted generally lovely about these things, there would be far less of a pervasive reason to become angry and bitter in the first place.

No, there is never a reason to radicalize and start killing people indiscriminately. It does a disservice to everyone who has affected change in non-violent means to say that violent extremists are just doing the same thing.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 5, 2015

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Generally I'm against putting people on lists, but if my neighbor has that many guns I would really like someone higher up to like, know about it

also note the color and shape of the targets

and no you're not allowed to ask for one of a white guy, people have tried

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Neither, the federal government can't track gun ownership until a crime is committed:

:911: what a beautiful world we live in :911:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The NRA will literally spend millions of dollars on your opponent if you're a politician and even hint about this, hth.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The type of gun (once you get into the category of auto-loaders) is essentially a complete red herring. The deadliest shooting attack in U.S. history was carried out by one guy using handguns with small magazines.

You also don't seem to know much about how people use firearms. Their attorney was somewhat impolitic but basically right- 4000 rounds of ammunition isn't actually an insane amount to own if you purchase in bulk to cut down on costs. If you go target shooting you'd be shocked at how many rounds a couple of people can burn through in an afternoon.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

LGD posted:

The type of gun (once you get into the category of auto-loaders) is essentially a complete red herring. The deadliest shooting attack in U.S. history was carried out by one guy using handguns with small magazines.

You also don't seem to know much about how people use firearms. Their attorney was somewhat impolitic but basically right- 4000 rounds of ammunition isn't actually an insane amount to own if you purchase in bulk to cut down on costs. If you go target shooting you'd be shocked at how many rounds a couple of people can burn through in an afternoon.

You're absolutely right, I have handled a gun exactly once in my life, which is why I was asking about it. The media made it sound like they had like insane amounts of weapons in their apartment, but since you actually shoot, is what they had or the types of guns they had in any way abnormal?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

You're absolutely right, I have handled a gun exactly once in my life, which is why I was asking about it. The media made it sound like they had like insane amounts of weapons in their apartment, but since you actually shoot, is what they had or the types of guns they had in any way abnormal?

They had more than average, but honestly nothing that's too suspicious.

Again, welcome to the US of A.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

A Winner is Jew posted:

They had more than average, but honestly nothing that's too suspicious.

Again, welcome to the US of A.

And they didn't have armor or anything...like, if someone went out and got guns, and then made a purchase of body armor some time later, that would be a deff red flag. But they didn't in this case :/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

And they didn't have armor or anything...like, if someone went out and got guns, and then made a purchase of body armor some time later, that would be a deff red flag. But they didn't in this case :/

If by "red flag" you mean something illegal for the government to track, then yes.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

(I don't actually own any guns, I go shooting with friends like maybe once a year)

And no, the types of guns they had were in no way abnormal. They had a handgun and a rifle each which is far from an arsenal and I would actually describe as below average for a gun owner (usually people have at least a .22 variant for plinking/a shotgun/a more traditional hunting rifle as well depending on their interests), and AR-style rifles are incredibly common and popular in the US for a variety of reasons (inexpensive, accurate, customizable, lightweight, familiar operation for those with military service). It turns out the features that make something a "good" gun are fairly universal, and everybody I know who shoots recreationally owns an AR (and I live in Portland, Oregon so most are not exactly right wing nutjobs).

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 5, 2015

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

If by "red flag" you mean something illegal for the government to track, then yes.

What's the point in making it illegal if you can't track if a gun was purchased as well?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Buying legal guns and/or buying body armor doesn't put you on a list in the US.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Trabisnikof posted:

Okay- the guns are legal, the magazines are not legal, and body armor would also be theoretically illegal

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I guess it could be a combination terrorism/workplace violence, it's just weird that that much preparation would have gone into it. But then I remember killdozer

This guy's wife was a recent immigrant - she might have convinced him to start planning something.

'If you insult my mother I might punch you in the mouth' meets 'stuff happens'

Magical thinking is the real enemy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi-ItrJISQE
The creator of the universe is so far removed from individual human 'honor' that you have to be insane to conflate the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A Winner is Jew posted:

Buying legal guns and/or buying body armor doesn't put you on a list in the US.

Thankfully otherwise back to school shopping would be a huge pain in the rear end.

• Locked thread