Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Evil Canadian posted:

I feel dumb for even asking, but I hit the point in the story where they just added what I assume to be most of the characters, yet I can only find lin and elma to add to my group? What/where am I going wrong here.

*ed*

Ok I just found one randomly in the town, kinda gonna suck to find where everyones hidey hole is though.

Go the menu by pressing start and there's a member option. You can toggle people at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Oh and what does everyone think of the music? Xenoblade Chronicles had one of the best soundtracks I've heard in years. Does it hold up? I dunno any of those other soundtracks that this guy has done.

And my last question: is the villain as scene-chewingly hilarious as Metal Face was?

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 5, 2015

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Calaveron posted:

Also can I redo my avatar? I have severe remorse on the life choices that led to my dude's current hairstyle.

I know you can change your look(and even gender) after creation, I just don't know where exactly.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Go the menu by pressing start and there's a member option. You can toggle people at will.

Didn't work when I first found it, still doesn't work after I found some people.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

How are y'all taking screenshots of the game?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

TurnipFritter posted:

How are y'all taking screenshots of the game?

If you hit the home button and make a miiverse post while playing, it'll screencap whatever the camera is currently on. If there is another way that I don't know.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

axeil posted:

Oh and what does everyone think of the music? Xenoblade Chronicles had one of the best soundtracks I've heard in years. Does it hold up? I dunno any of those other soundtracks that this guy has done.

And my last question: is the villain as scene-chewingly hilarious as Metal Face was?

People seem to either love or hate the music, due to some engrishy lyrics. They're a lot of fun in my opinion. But they don't kick in for the first half minute or so of the song, so even if they're not your cup of tea, you probably won't actually hear that much of them in most fights. Look on Youtube for 'Black Tar' and 'Uncontrollable' for some good examples. Whatever you think of them in a vacuum, they're not very jarring when they're in the background of a fight.

Don't know about the villain yet.

Question of my own - does anybody know where to redeem the division rewards? The gamepad reminds me I can get them, but I never actually saw a place in town to pick them up.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Could someone put this in the OP?

Chapter 6 is when you get your first Giant Robot

Chapter 9 is when you can make them fly

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The raygun's aura boosted attacks get kinda ridiculous if you use them in conjunction with Full Specs and the secondary cooldown bonus, as it turns out. The one downside is accidentally hitting stuff that wasn't fighting you.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Saigyouji posted:

The raygun's aura boosted attacks get kinda ridiculous if you use them in conjunction with Full Specs and the secondary cooldown bonus, as it turns out. The one downside is accidentally hitting stuff that wasn't fighting you.

I spent a good amount of time getting beat up by the wildlife and noticed that I could change job classes and felt really dumb. "Maybe I'll pick up a few levels near NLA before heading out."

Of course I picked the beam weapon and had like a herd of angry not-sheep attack me as well as those lanky monsters.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So I'm trying to trigger chapter 4 but I need to get the "a prob-fessional job" done first, I have no idea where to find that mission, any help?

edit: of course i figure it out as soon as i ask. The gamepad has so much info, it's great

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 5, 2015

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
I think it's going to get asked a lot, so here's how to do the last part of Lin's first affinity mission. The game does an absolute poo poo job of explaining 2 of the 3 things you need to do.

The 5 white whatevers come from mining probes. There are only 2 on Primorida I've found that have the things you need. Plop down a mining probe on that spot and just do other stuff and you'll get the 5 things you need

The tubes or whatever you need from puges, which are the mech things in the first alien encampment you find east of NLA. I had to kill about a half dozen of them to get the 2 tubes.

The spaceship parts are blue crystals that are on the path leading to Obilvia or whatever the next area to the west is called. There's a land bridge in the northeastish part of Primordia. They spawn along that path. Just run back and forth. There's a place to sleep there that will reset the ground spawns after a few hours. Took me at most 2 minutes to get the things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well for some reason UPS took forever to get my copy to me, I'll start playing tomorrow. Any important tips for starting out you guys found?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Man, this game is DENSE. I'm still stuck in tutorial stages but I don't mind because there are a lot of mechanics and systems to take in.

Can you change the classes of your party members? Kinda annoyed that the two party members that seem most important are redundant with the two classes I'm most interested in trying.

axeil posted:

I really like the music so far. The lyrics people were annoyed by in YouTubes don't stand out nearly as much in the actual game, with sound effects and characters yelling over it.

And I'm still early (chapter two) but there doesn't seem to be a villain yet.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 5, 2015

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Holy poo poo I just lost 5 hours because I got disconnected from the game servers. Save often, holy gently caress.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ghostinmyshell posted:

Holy poo poo I just lost 5 hours because I got disconnected from the game servers. Save often, holy gently caress.

Why would you go 5 hours without saving? Geez

I save like every time I see an opportunity to.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

well, that's 10.5 hours clocked.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

It's the best RPG this gen.

lol

best wii u rpg sure

game is fun, but has some flaws / annoyances

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

videogame is, in fact, a videogame

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol

best wii u rpg sure

What are they, I just started playing yday and don't intend to binge so what should I be preparing for?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This game captures the feeling of exploring an alien world filled with crazy things where you'll never know what's gonna pop up next better than any other game. You're fighting a mini-boss enemy and then suddenly out of nowhere a giant building-sized dinosaur that's like level 80 wanders into the middle of your fight taking up most of the screen. And you panic and run away hoping not to stomp on but the dinosaur just doesn't give a gently caress and walks away. Awesome game.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
So what classes are good? I got up to partisan eagle and it feels weak. What do I get from maxing out one of the final 6 classes?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Man this NLA music is FUNKY. I'm digging this so hard.

So I'm a couple hours in. Anything I should off the bat so I don't gimp myself in the long run? I heard something about mining nodes loving you over or something?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
There's quite a few affinity quests that ask you find some random gently caress item with no direction other than the continent that its on. You cannot drop the quest nor move on with the story until you clear it. This is my major complaint with the game. Literally using ideas from Dragon Quest VII. I had to run around for 3 hours to find the right enemy and pray for its rare drop twice.

Prima must be have a best seller with their guide.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I just got Blast Fencer and I see they get some some arts that have effects like double damage when used in a combo but I have no clue what a combo is. Is that just when you use the art trigger a soul voice thing?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Farg posted:

So what classes are good? I got up to partisan eagle and it feels weak. What do I get from maxing out one of the final 6 classes?

You "master" that class tree's weapons, meaning you can use them and their related arts even while in another branch.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 5, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LemonAIDS posted:

I just got Blast Fencer and I see they get some some arts that have effects like double damage when used in a combo but I have no clue what a combo is. Is that just when you use the art trigger a soul voice thing?

A combo is using arts in succession. So an effect like "double damage in a melee combo" means performing that art after a melee art.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm a little confused on the social grouping. Is there a goon squad we can form or do I have to deal with Goku Joined Squad, Goku Leaves Squad all day.

When you start up the game, you can choose to join a Squad consisting only of people in the Friends List. You can also turn off Squad notifications.

Rexroom posted:

Started playing this. Is there a command to make your teammates retreat, or do I have to deal with my buddies following some dumb alien beast who jumped down a cliff?

Press + and use the D-Pad to issue orders during battle. Use ZL/ZR to change which party member you're ordering.

Stormgale posted:

So is there any way to tell how difficult a mission will be, just stepped out of the tutorial and suddenly 32 aggressive mobs I seem to have to kill (I'm not even level 10)

Do you mean the quest where you have to pick up the comm device? Approach the object as far away from the enemies as possible during the night. It's possible.

axeil posted:

Is the combat the same? I really liked how you had to think about chaining things together rather than just mashing attack constantly. Monado visions obviously aren't in, but is there anything else cool they did instead?
Combat is not exactly the same. It's cooldown based just as before. Every Art is now split into being based on either your ranged weapon or your melee weapon. Pretty much all Arts now also have a "Secondary Cooldown" which counts down when you're using the weapon of that type of art. So, instead of using Slit Edge immediately when it's off cooldown, if you're using your melee weapon (you switch weapons by pressing X), a second cooldown will start, and once it's done, the Art is stronger. The second addition is Soul Voices. Your allies in battle will call out for you to do certain things, and a corresponding Art on your bar will highlight. If you press it, the one who called out as well as you will have some HP restored, and Affinity will increase. Some of your Soul Voices will trigger challenges (pressing the B button at the correct time), which if you succeed at, everyone in the party restores HP, you'll activate whatever bonus you have set to that Soul Voice, and party morale will increase. More morale, more Soul Voices.
Finally, using Arts, auto-attacking, Perfect-ing Soul Voices, and some other things, will increase your TP bar. Some arts require 1000 TP. Reviving a party member costs 3000 TP. Going into Overdrive, which is somewhat like Chain Attacks, except you only control your own character, and Tertiary Cooldowns will start counting down, which is like Secondary Cooldowns even better.

You can also target certain appendages on monsters to weaken them, there's some consumable items, there's Skell combat and all that entails, mix-and-match Arts, different classes, buffs and debuffs... basically it's still super involved and constantly mashing attack will not get you far. Or at least not as far or as smooth.

Farg posted:

So what classes are good? I got up to partisan eagle and it feels weak.
Remember to upgrade your Arts and Skills!

Lord Ephraim posted:

There's quite a few affinity quests that ask you find some random gently caress item with no direction other than the continent that its on. You cannot drop the quest nor move on with the story until you clear it. This is my major complaint with the game. Literally using ideas from Dragon Quest VII. I had to run around for 3 hours to find the right enemy and pray for its rare drop twice.
You can buy items that drop from monsters in your barracks, by using reward tickets which you get from doing Squad Missions or Squad Tasks. You cannot buy items that go in your collectopedia, though.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Motto posted:

A combo is using arts in succession. So an effect like "double damage in a melee combo" means performing that art after a melee art.

ah, ok so I should be waiting for all my melee arts to go off cooldown then just piss them out

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Lasers and miniguns are cool but they are also the weapons most likely to turn the one not-sheep you are fighting into a herd of not-sheep and a normally peaceful level 50 giant dinosaur thing chasing you to your likely death.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hey so I beat Chapter 3 and a bunch of dudes joined my party out of nowhere, but I don't know where they are. How do I fix this?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stormgale posted:

What are they, I just started playing yday and don't intend to binge so what should I be preparing for?

For me, it's the really the repetitive nature of the quests. But if you don't intend to binge, that probably won't be a problem. At least you could completely ignore quests in Xenoblade if you wanted. Here, not so much.
The long rear end tutorial and bloat of systems isn't really that great either. Story is pretty bad so far.

Not that I dislike the game. It's just that outside of being pretty and having poo poo to explore, everything else is mostly mediocre or bad imo.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol

best wii u rpg sure

That its script was found crumpled in the bottom of its 12 year old author's backpack being one of them. That it was then given voice by his extended family being another.

This poo poo is dire.

*pick one of two emotional responses*
*display no emotion*
*everyone reacts as if you're dropping bombs*
*mutely rock back and forth*

UH UH UH YEAH! UH YEAH YEAH YEAH!

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 5, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lord Ephraim posted:

Prima must be have a best seller with their guide.
They do, the 15 people ahead of me in gamestop all needed the guide

I was able to get mine and as I was leaving another group just came in needing the guide.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Fix posted:

That its script was found crumpled in the bottom of its 12 year old author's backpack being one of them. That it was then given voice by his extended family being another.

This poo poo is dire.

*pick one of two emotional responses*
*display no emotion*
*everyone reacts as if you're dropping bombs*
*mutely rock back and forth*

UH UH UH YEAH! UH YEAH YEAH YEAH!

What is even going on in this post

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bloodychill posted:

He's mad that the videogame doesn't allow him to sex up the blue aliens like mass effect does.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Your mother is dead karl. STFU

anyways, I went Enforcer straight off the bat, then went into Commando instead of blast fencer

Holy poo poo I dislike commando a lot. I hope striker isn't as bad as this because so far it consists of backslash, some tp moves, and a sliding side attack.

I wanted to merge out the trees, and I feel gimped coming from enforcer. Sure, I do much more, but now I feel way too squishy, kind of like a rogue I guess.

I'm also kind of frustrated because all the drops I've been getting are much better than anything I can buy in the store, and I don't quite get the whole gear creation thing. Should I be doing that? seems like a waste of resources for stuff im just gonna swap out in 2 levels.

Also is 14~ too low for nocilum? I ended up fighting Goetia at 15 and poo poo was hard, way way harder than anything else I had been fighting. Could be that I wasn't doing the fight right, but most of the time I end up staring at my cooldowns while looking at my feet. Maybe that's a WoW thing?

So far I'm lvl 16 after 13 hours. Kind of annoyed how everything is so much higher level than me all over the place.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm also kind of frustrated because all the drops I've been getting are much better than anything I can buy in the store, and I don't quite get the whole gear creation thing. Should I be doing that? seems like a waste of resources for stuff im just gonna swap out in 2 levels.

Also is 14~ too low for nocilum? I ended up fighting Goetia at 15 and poo poo was hard, way way harder than anything else I had been fighting. Could be that I wasn't doing the fight right, but most of the time I end up staring at my cooldowns while looking at my feet. Maybe that's a WoW thing?

Yes, you should be doing that.

No, it's not. You can go pretty much anywhere and find enemies suited to your level.

Have you been upgrading your arts and skills? With a few levels in upgrading them the cooldowns should be way less. It's also better to not just mash an art when it gets off cd and instead focus on finding the right opportunity to attack.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Also I want to mention to anyone who wants to do all of the achievements, you can't miss or mess up a single one.

they can be gotten in post game as well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Terper posted:

Yes, you should be doing that.

No, it's not. You can go pretty much anywhere and find enemies suited to your level.

Have you been upgrading your arts and skills? With a few levels in upgrading them the cooldowns should be way less. It's also better to not just mash an art when it gets off cd and instead focus on finding the right opportunity to attack.

Yeah, I know that, I know about the double/triple cooldown thing for skills. Most of my skills are level 2-3 atm

I also can't find wherever these upgraded storefront items are going. To the left of the research station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

bloodychill posted:

This game is poorly written, poorly acted, and suffers from a great number of other shortcomings that are frontloaded in the playing of it. I can't wait to get out and shoot alien dinosaurs, but the early portions are just awful, from exploration to the bad affinity system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it gets better once they stop talking about it and it boils down to pure gameplay systems, but the introduction of all this stuff is a mess.

• Locked thread