Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

N. Senada posted:

You'd be sad too if your butt had just exploded poo poo against a wall while wearing a pretty, white dress.

Serperoth posted:

I'd be sad too if they'd taken a pic of me right after I lost bowel control.

ONE AMAZING TRICK MODELS USE FOR WEIGHT LOSS! DOCTORS HATE THEM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This joke would be funnier if it weren't for the fact that laxative abuse is an actual problem that anorexic people have

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wanamingo posted:

This joke would be funnier if it weren't for the fact that laxative abuse is an actual problem that anorexic people have

Nah, the joke's still pretty funny as it is.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Good for the immune system!*

*compared to starvation

God, these kill me.

Studies have shown that kids who eat Amazing Crunch for breakfast do better in school!*

*compared to kids who ate nothing at all

Of course the kid that ate loving breakfast did better than the kid that didn't. It's like they're saying "Our cereal is better than nothing!"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Non Serviam posted:

I really think this is fascinating. McDonald's tastes the same everywhere, but coke changes their drink recipes in different countries.

They make Guinness different to sell in Nigeria (stronger and darker, iirc)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wanamingo posted:

Is that type of model really considered hot? She's skeletal. Her dress is just draped over her. I've always figured that body type is cultivated to show off the fashion, not to be sexy.

Even if originally it was just intended to show off the fashion, the fact that those body types are elevated on billboards and whatnot to show off the fashion means they end up influencing what people think of as attractive.

Fashion is super hosed up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's called cocaine-chic or something messed up like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mu Zeta posted:

Heroin-chic, which I think was partially influenced by rock stars? Yeah poo poo's hosed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin_chic

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Heroine-chic. It came into vogue with those Calvin Klein ads where teenagers were being photographed in what looked like a 70's rumpus room.

So yeah, it was unhealthy and may involve underage molestation.

Edit: beaten.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Heroine-chic. It came into vogue with those Calvin Klein ads where teenagers were being photographed in what looked like a 70's rumpus room.

So yeah, it was unhealthy and may involve underage molestation.

Edit: beaten.

And we're finally back to the actual worst thing about that ad in the first place. Even without the text I think people would have said something, the pose is so blatant! :barf:

Thanks to those who pointed out English is super-common in Singapore.

Soda chat: I used to sell Faygo to juggalos because their clown-faced gods sprayed it on the crowds like sticky manna from Detroit. I always wondered what it was like for the Faygo folks at the time realizing the only way to push their syrup water out of the Midwest was via murder clowns. One time on a dare a coworker tried to chug the Peach flavor and ended up heaving over a storm grate in the mall parking lot. That's my Faygo story.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Even without the text I think people would have said something, the pose is so blatant! :barf:

I actually missed the text at first and was still going to post "that's pretty messed up" and then I saw it :stare:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I always wondered what it was like for the Faygo folks at the time

"Sir, we're moving a helluva lot of product all of a sudden. What happened?"

"Clowns, Jenkins."

"Clowns, sir?"

"Yes. It's better if you don't ask questions. Just sit quietly and enjoy your bonus."

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Fresh content: Me posting about a kickstarter project on gbs. I expected around 60~80% of the comments to be negative, sure, but you can guess how it turned out

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

One time on a dare a coworker tried to chug the Peach flavor and ended up heaving over a storm grate in the mall parking lot. That's my Faygo story.

Your coworker is a big baby. Faygo is just regional soda, it doesn't actually taste like clownwater.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

muscles like this? posted:

A couple of years ago one of the big cereal companies got in trouble because they put labels on all their kids brands saying that they were good for the immune system when they didn't really have any proof.

The stupidest thing I saw in the cereal aisle was frosted mini-wheats claiming that they'd make children do better in school. The theory was that because they were high in fiber they'd keep children from feeling hungry longer so they'd do better in their classes that were before lunch. So you load them up on this stuff and they'll focus better and get better grades.

They were literally claiming that their cereal would get children better grades. It's simultaneously both a stupid move in marketing and a brilliant one; how many parents want to give their children every edge they can or are desperately looking for ways to improve little Poopy's grades?

Zaphod42 posted:

Even if originally it was just intended to show off the fashion, the fact that those body types are elevated on billboards and whatnot to show off the fashion means they end up influencing what people think of as attractive.

Oh fashion is hosed up in so, so many ways. In a lot of fashion shows they'll deliberately get young girls (think 14 to 16 or so) to volunteer to walk with the promise of free clothes. So it isn't technically being paid because they're not getting money out of it. The other reasoning was that they weren't done growing so they were smaller, thinner, and weren't as developed. There were of course promises of "oh you'll be a famous model some day just stay beautiful and you'll be rich and fabulous when you grow up!" Take a guess how often that happened and how often that batch of girls got discarded for the next batch.

The rail thin, skeletal thing happened because women are kind of a pain in the rear end to design clothes for. Women have breasts, rear end, and thighs to deal with and there is a hell of a lot of variety in how those things are put together. If you assume one particular body type and make clothes from there it's easier to design for which is why models have pretty specific parameters when it comes to height, weight, body type, and whatever. A rail thin woman with no curves is easier to design clothes for and easier to hang a dress on. Then they're put in professionally designed clothes, meticulously done makeup, and paraded around only during their finest moments. Absurd amounts of effort goes into making these women look good so you end up with "I must be thin, perfect, and without any body fat at all" getting into peoples' heads.

Now consider that not only that is the standard body type but the modeling targets teenagers as models. Then you look at billboards and you see women on them who are always photoshopped, airbrushed, and made perfect. Unreal, even, and it just gets worse. Suddenly the message is "you must look like a photoshopped 15 year old girl to be beautiful."

No wonder there's so much backlash against it.

theironjef posted:

Your coworker is a big baby. Faygo is just regional soda, it doesn't actually taste like clownwater.

I've had Faygo. It isn't bad. It isn't all that good either but it's bog standard as far as sodas go. It's been around for a long time and is generally cheap as hell which is part of why the target demographic of juggalos (i.e., poor white people) were easy to convince to buy it. It isn't exceptional in any way whatsoever. It's a soda that tastes like whatever flavor of soda is printed on the can. The cola is cola, the grape is grape, the orange is orange.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Dec 4, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah it definitely normalises it.

I've got a ridiculous hip to waist ratio and I spent most of my teens and twenties dieting and being really unhappy that I didn't look like what I considered to be 'normal'. It's a massive irony that the thing I hated most about myself, is actually super sexy to a lot of men and in particular, my boyfriend. There are aspects of the 'Fat is Beautiful' culture that are bad, like anything, but at least girls have a lot more options as to where to look for fashion inspirations and models that are closer to what they look like than there were back in the pre-internet days.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Ironically the whole "real women look like this" movement has just made treating skinny women like poo poo even more socially acceptable. I have a friend who is naturally rail-thin and it's shocking to me how people will think nothing of asking if they have an eating disorder or shame their appearance.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
That horseshoe's a bitch.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The thing is that men have really low standards and even if you look like rear end a bunch of guys will still want to have sex with you.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

And we're finally back to the actual worst thing about that ad in the first place. Even without the text I think people would have said something, the pose is so blatant! :barf:

Before I saw the text I thought it was an ad for American Apparel which brings about it's own icky connotations.

Seriously, looking at some American Apparel ads makes me feel like I will probably be put on some sex offender list.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The fashion modeling poo poo gets worse when you get into the predatory photographers like Terry Richardson

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I once worked with a stunningly beautiful young woman who tried and couldn't get work as a model because she was like 5' 9" which was apparently too tall for anyone to hire her.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Madkal posted:

Before I saw the text I thought it was an ad for American Apparel which brings about it's own icky connotations.

Seriously, looking at some American Apparel ads makes me feel like I will probably be put on some sex offender list.

Most of those ads were just an excuse for the CEO to gently caress the female models hired for them.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

mostlygray posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but it feels like I can taste the difference in Mexican Coke vs American Coke. Part of it might just be the glass bottle. It reminds me of being a kid and drinking one of those 8oz bottles they used to sell from chest coolers outside of a business. You had to finish it right there as the bottles were always returned.

We got to do a big blind taste test at work last year. I don't remember the exact numbers but out of like 50 people, around two thirds said they preferred glass-bottle Mexican sugar Coke beforehand (me included), but 90% chose the glass-bottle American HFCS Coke as the better tasting one (me included). So people can definitely taste the difference even if it's subtle enough to confuse them about which they actually like better.

They only gave us small cups and not whole bottles so it's possible this is another Pepsi challenge type situation, and therefore I'm not putting too much stock into the outcome.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

e: double post

mr. mephistopheles has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Dec 5, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I once worked with a stunningly beautiful young woman who tried and couldn't get work as a model because she was like 5' 9" which was apparently too tall for anyone to hire her.

I don't want to say she was lying but there's basically no way that's true.

E: Assuming that was her actual height and not just a ballpark.if she was 5'10 or more then yeah it could be true.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Ironically the whole "real women look like this" movement has just made treating skinny women like poo poo even more socially acceptable. I have a friend who is naturally rail-thin and it's shocking to me how people will think nothing of asking if they have an eating disorder or shame their appearance.
Yeah that is poo poo and I hate it. That whole 'real women' thing is embarrassing, it makes me cringe.

When I lost a load of weight (through cutting out the poo poo I was eating and mainly eating soups and stir fries for 3 months or so) people thought nothing of commenting on it and not always in a positive way either. I also noticed some friends starting to treat me ever so slightly differently. It's hard to explain, but it was almost like I'd done wrong by them by losing weight. It was a subtle change but I felt some people distanced themselves from me, like being thin meant I couldn't be one of their mates. Weird.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rondette posted:

Yeah that is poo poo and I hate it. That whole 'real women' thing is embarrassing, it makes me cringe.

When I lost a load of weight (through cutting out the poo poo I was eating and mainly eating soups and stir fries for 3 months or so) people thought nothing of commenting on it and not always in a positive way either. I also noticed some friends starting to treat me ever so slightly differently. It's hard to explain, but it was almost like I'd done wrong by them by losing weight. It was a subtle change but I felt some people distanced themselves from me, like being thin meant I couldn't be one of their mates. Weird.

It's not so strange. When you've been culturally, and sometimes individually, bullied by thin people about your weight; you tend to try to avoid situations where it might happen.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mulva posted:

It's not so strange. When you've been culturally, and sometimes individually, bullied by thin people about your weight; you tend to try to avoid situations where it might happen.

Woah, I think you just replaced the Panasonic PT-AE8000 for Editor's Choice at projectorcentral.com

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Keepin' it light: the best TV product placement I can think of, seen on the inimitable 30 Rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d36wUmJGzvA

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sentient Data posted:

Fresh content: Me posting about a kickstarter project on gbs. I expected around 60~80% of the comments to be negative, sure, but you can guess how it turned out

That's because you decided to advertise your game in the wrong forum, to people who don't give a poo poo about babbys first TTRPG, and you should have probably just bought an ad. So yeah, it belongs in this thread.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Heroine-chic.

Capes and masks?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHM2J8_iHfM

I'm not sure why, but for some reason a cable supplier in my area has been pushing their landline service really hard. Half of all households in America exclusively use cellphones, and I doubt they'll be able to do much to reverse that trend.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wanamingo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHM2J8_iHfM

I'm not sure why, but for some reason a cable supplier in my area has been pushing their landline service really hard. Half of all households in America exclusively use cellphones, and I doubt they'll be able to do much to reverse that trend.

I only have a landline because it mysteriously made the price of my cable/internet bill go down. Beats me what Verizon gets out of it. Feel like that qualifies for this thread.

VVV I hope the NSA enjoys me trolling telemarketers and providing tech support to my parents.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Dec 5, 2015

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I only have a landline because it mysteriously made the price of my cable/internet bill go down. Beats me what Verizon gets out of it. Feel like that qualifies for this thread.

It's because they're selling your call info to :nsa:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
For immediate payback they're hoping that you ever dial 411 or pay to not have your address listed in the phonebook, but usually it's simply that telecom providers get subsidies based on the number of subscribers in some areas, and they want to make sure you (read: old people) don't get landline service with someone else, then decide that a dsl package with that provider is cheaper than cable internet

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I don't want to say she was lying but there's basically no way that's true.

E: Assuming that was her actual height and not just a ballpark.if she was 5'10 or more then yeah it could be true.
Naw, 5'9 - 5'10 is pretty much the exact range of "ideal model" height. I've done a little bit of modelling/acting on and off since college and it's basically the only time I ever feel short (I'm about 5'7).

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

For immediate payback they're hoping that you ever dial 411 or pay to not have your address listed in the phonebook, but usually it's simply that telecom providers get subsidies based on the number of subscribers in some areas, and they want to make sure you (read: old people) don't get landline service with someone else, then decide that a dsl package with that provider is cheaper than cable internet
It's also another way they can inflate the various bullshit "customer engagement" metrics for investors.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Ever since I moved to my current place, I've only used a cell phone. But my sister still uses a landline at her house because the cell reception there is basically nonexistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sleeveless posted:

Rondette posted:

Yep. I'm not super into gender studies topics, but I find this issue fascinating because how it marketing and public opinion and propaganda weave through it. The whole "Photoshop Free" is a faux-healthy movement that displaces the responsibility from industry standards to a piece of technology. All of the "Real Beauty" talk that follows is just the same bullshit approach to fashion and beauty with the same values but slightly altered standards to make it seem "progressive" and "feminist," while hiding that it's still technologically-driven body policing.

I also read somewhere that the rail-thin standards for models began in the late Victorian/Early Edwardian era, well-antedating "Heroin Chic," for all of the design reasons mentioned above. I guess fabric just hangs better, or at least more predictably, on thin bodies.