Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have some Brokered Convention YES shares. I believe they'll take a bounce near Iowa, where I'll sell.

EDIT https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1564/Will-a-US-State-Dept-worldwide-travel-alert-be-in-effect-on-February-25%2c-2016#data

This seems way undervalued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Aliquid posted:

I have some Brokered Convention YES shares. I believe they'll take a bounce near Iowa, where I'll sell.

EDIT https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1564/Will-a-US-State-Dept-worldwide-travel-alert-be-in-effect-on-February-25%2c-2016#data

This seems way undervalued.

Yes or No? I'm leaning towards Yes because I sincerely doubt ISIS is going to be magically rolled up within the next few months but I have no idea what goes into issuing these alerts.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Necc0 posted:

Yes or No? I'm leaning towards Yes because I sincerely doubt ISIS is going to be magically rolled up within the next few months but I have no idea what goes into issuing these alerts.
Terrorism events, terrorism chatter, terrorism terrorism.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Peachstapler posted:

Terrorism events, terrorism chatter, terrorism terrorism.

This. I've spent a lot of time overseas and if there's one constant to life outside the US, it's incessant State Department warning emails. YES is only around .44 and I fully expect it to resolve.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Jeb! @ 5% end of month just crashed with the CNN poll that came out this morning. Down to the low 30's. I did buy a small amount in the 60's thinking, seriously, how low can he go? At least 5% o Republican voters have to be old money moderates from good blue blooded families. I'm probably a sucker for punishment, but I'm going to see if I can pick up some more YES in the mid 20's. Seem's like a good/reward, but yeah, I know, we are talking about Jeb! here. Either way it will remain a small bet, under 3% of my portfolio.

But someone stop me before I lose more on Jeb!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jeb Dropout YES is my single biggest market. It's even going down, get some for .10!

Romney Nominee YES is down to .01, insane. That's a penny stock worth buying imo

In fact, I would track Romney YES equally to Brokered Convention YES, since he's by far the most likely compromise candidate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Aliquid posted:

Jeb Dropout YES is my single biggest market. It's even going down, get some for .10!
:stare: well someone just bought the poo poo out of that

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Super dark horse alert: Graham is literally over 500:1 on Betfair. I think there's a very good chance he bounces a few points as a result of the media attention from the speech, especially if he gets a good talk show slot or two. Probably even odds of him going to 100:1 or higher (this tip does not apply to PredictIt since you guys are stuck with your 1c minimum.)

Less dark horsey - Cruz is now at 7:1 on Betfair and the chance of him going to 4-5:1 in the next month is virtually 100%. With Jeb! continuing to fade the chance of a Rubio v. Cruz HU showdown are spiking hard.

Looking at PredictIt, you guys are really getting screwed. Your prices are so far off what those of us outside the US can get :( If this was for serious volume I'd have to arb it but ehh.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Aliquid posted:

:stare: well someone just bought the poo poo out of that
Who wants to make 20 cents on the dollar within the next 6 weeks? NO just dipped to 80.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Adar posted:

Super dark horse alert: Graham is literally over 500:1 on Betfair. I think there's a very good chance he bounces a few points as a result of the media attention from the speech, especially if he gets a good talk show slot or two. Probably even odds of him going to 100:1 or higher (this tip does not apply to PredictIt since you guys are stuck with your 1c minimum.)

Less dark horsey - Cruz is now at 7:1 on Betfair and the chance of him going to 4-5:1 in the next month is virtually 100%. With Jeb! continuing to fade the chance of a Rubio v. Cruz HU showdown are spiking hard.

Looking at PredictIt, you guys are really getting screwed. Your prices are so far off what those of us outside the US can get :( If this was for serious volume I'd have to arb it but ehh.

Uhhhh mismatched prices are an opportunity, not "getting screwed." Unless you mean screwed due to caps, but I would argue the caps give me more opportunities because there isn't a ton of arbitration eating up my opportunities.

Graham is not going to improve.

You're probably right on Cruz.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

Romney Nominee YES is down to .01, insane. That's a penny stock worth buying imo

In fact, I would track Romney YES equally to Brokered Convention YES, since he's by far the most likely compromise candidate.

I hate to be the guy, but this is really bad advice. The most likely choice in a brokered convention is someone who already receieved a huge plurality of popular support. An outside compromise candidate is an extreme and unlikely last resort that alienates voters.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

Uhhhh mismatched prices are an opportunity, not "getting screwed." Unless you mean screwed due to caps, but I would argue the caps give me more opportunities because there isn't a ton of arbitration eating up my opportunities.

Graham is not going to improve.

You're probably right on Cruz.

You only get to exploit your own side and the mismatch is such that all the great bets are on this end.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Adar posted:

You only get to exploit your own side and the mismatch is such that all the great bets are on this end.

You think so? I think the best place to be is where people (and their wagers) are farthest from reality, and PredictIt has been pretty solid for that. Perhaps less so by the day, but still plenty of delusional folks willing to put up bets.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The delusional bets haven't even started yet. Wait till we get closer to the election and people start to get emotional about it.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

You think so? I think the best place to be is where people (and their wagers) are farthest from reality, and PredictIt has been pretty solid for that. Perhaps less so by the day, but still plenty of delusional folks willing to put up bets.

There's been a lot of convergence this week but even after all of it Cruz, soon to be the hot stock of the month, is at 24 on PI and 14 on Betfair.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
A bunch of new markets this morning, mostly playing off Super Tuesday events:

• Texas GOP Primary Winner
  • Vermont GOP Primary Winner
  • Virginia GOP Primary Winner
  • Alabama Dem Primary Winner
  • Arkansas Dem Primary Winner
  • Georgia Dem Primary Winner
  • Massachusetts Dem Primary Winner
  • Oklahoma Dem Primary Winner
  • Tennessee Dem Primary Winner
  • Texas Dem Primary Winner
  • Vermont Dem Primary Winner
  • Virginia Dem Primary Winner

If the Bernie fans are out in full force this morning, be sure to get your Clinton bets in if you spot something low.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Peachstapler posted:

A bunch of new markets this morning, mostly playing off Super Tuesday events:

• Texas GOP Primary Winner
  • Vermont GOP Primary Winner
  • Virginia GOP Primary Winner
  • Alabama Dem Primary Winner
  • Arkansas Dem Primary Winner
  • Georgia Dem Primary Winner
  • Massachusetts Dem Primary Winner
  • Oklahoma Dem Primary Winner
  • Tennessee Dem Primary Winner
  • Texas Dem Primary Winner
  • Vermont Dem Primary Winner
  • Virginia Dem Primary Winner

If the Bernie fans are out in full force this morning, be sure to get your Clinton bets in if you spot something low.

The Hillary fans can be just as insane. Or maybe its Hillary group think that she is inevitable EVERYWHERE. I managed to buy some Bernie winning Vermont at 70. Just wish there enough people out there who will allow me to max out this contract at that price.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Zeta Taskforce posted:

The Hillary fans can be just as insane. Or maybe its Hillary group think that she is inevitable EVERYWHERE. I managed to buy some Bernie winning Vermont at 70. Just wish there enough people out there who will allow me to max out this contract at that price.
That's very shaky ground. The most recent polling out of Vermont was Castleton in October which had Clinton only 6 points under Sanders (double her support there from their previous poll).

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Peachstapler posted:

That's very shaky ground. The most recent polling out of Vermont was Castleton in October which had Clinton only 6 points under Sanders (double her support there from their previous poll).

Where is this poll? I can't seem to find it. Not saying you're wrong, it just contradicts what it feels like on the ground in Vermont. The most recent poll I see is on marijuana legalization. The most recent presidential one shows Bernie with a 35 point lead over Clinton.

http://www.castleton.edu/about-castleton/the-castleton-polling-institute/poll-results/

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Where is this poll? I can't seem to find it. Not saying you're wrong, it just contradicts what it feels like on the ground in Vermont. The most recent poll I see is on marijuana legalization. The most recent presidential one shows Bernie with a 35 point lead over Clinton.

http://www.castleton.edu/about-castleton/the-castleton-polling-institute/poll-results/
You're right, I was looking at the previous poll they'd released. So he is increasing support as of August 24 - September 14, 2015.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't someone here say earlier that Dean won the 2004 nom in Vt after dropping out?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fronz posted:

Didn't someone here say earlier that Dean won the 2004 nom in Vt after dropping out?

Yes. He dropped out on February 18, but won Vermont on March 2. Edwards wasn’t on the ballot, though, which helped.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

fronz posted:

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/primaries/pages/states/VT/

Pretty decent turnout for an election with such low stakes too. It is pure going out in the middle of the winter to support a local hero.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bernie could literally die today and he'd still win Vermont.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Quite honestly I'd be less surprised by Clinton winning Texas in the general than Bernie losing Vermont in the primary.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Does anyone have any strong feelings about Dilma Rousseff remaining president of Brazil through the end of the year? I know she is deeply unpopular and it seems like a matter of time before she is impeached, but for a long time it seemed to be on the back burner. I never had that much invested, but I sold my 25 shares at 97 cents last month.

Lately there has been a lot more action politically and her days are looking more numbered. But the days remaining in 2015 are also more numbered. Volume has gone from almost non-existent to low but steady. It's been bouncing from the upper 80's to mid 90's so pays more than any other year end expiring contract. But I know a lot less about Brazilian politics than I do Vermont politics. Is anyone playing with this one?

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/683/Will-Dilma-Rousseff-remain-president-of-Brazil-through-year-end#data

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Aliquid posted:

I love this market, by the way. Every month like clockwork someone bids his stock up to double digits and I make bank* :allears:

*pennies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

For the Rahm market: is the DoJ investigation into the CPD only, or will it potentially (eventually) put the Eye of Sauron on him too?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Latest poll has Cruz leading in Iowa, and needless to say the PredictIt market has completely flipped its poo poo and is putting Cruz at 60% likelihood there 2 months out.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

He's against corn subsidies too, so get ready to hear about that.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Latest poll has Cruz leading in Iowa, and needless to say the PredictIt market has completely flipped its poo poo and is putting Cruz at 60% likelihood there 2 months out.

The trend is your friend and Cruz seems to be peaking at the right time. IDK. Iowa Republicans do love them some religion. 60% is probably fair. Don't know how to play this one, but I'm not going to bet against him.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zeta Taskforce posted:

The trend is your friend and Cruz seems to be peaking at the right time. IDK. Iowa Republicans do love them some religion. 60% is probably fair. Don't know how to play this one, but I'm not going to bet against him.

I think he's peaking too early. He'll have to maintain this for two months, and the other candidates are just now kicking into full gear in the state. I think the "trend" is greatly overreaching at this point.

We'll see how it goes. I'm buying No shares right now, anyway.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
For anybody looking to make a quick turnaround, the government shutdown market closes in a week. It's selling at 95 cents each for NO right now, but it's worth keeping an eye on in case it goes down a bit as we get closer to the deadline.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vox Nihili posted:

I think he's peaking too early. He'll have to maintain this for two months, and the other candidates are just now kicking into full gear in the state. I think the "trend" is greatly overreaching at this point.

We'll see how it goes. I'm buying No shares right now, anyway.

It's also worth remembering that Iowa has no qualms about changing their mind on a dime and, through the power of he who walks behind the rows, elevating someone from last to first place within a week of the caucus.

Edit: Is there any safety in buying No on Blatter's indictment by the end of the year?

Gyges has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Dec 8, 2015

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
https://www.jebbush.com

A masterful troll.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

God drat. Is Jeb doing Trump's homework for him yet?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Someone please talk me out of buying up a bunch of shares of No on Blatter being indited by New Years Eve.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

Someone please talk me out of buying up a bunch of shares of No on Blatter being indited by New Years Eve.

Well they just revealed some new big thing: http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/fbi-investigating-sepp-blatter-100m-bribes-scandal-isl-fifa-president-120615

Probably mostly safe due to the very short time left to run in the contract, but there's certainly some degree of risk. It isn't "free money" if that's what you're hoping for.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
Anyone have a take on the CNN debate viewership market? https://www.predictit.org/Market/1734/What-will-the-average-viewership-be-for-the-CNN-debate

The R debates so far have gone:

Fox: 24M (aug)
CNN: 23M (sept)
CNBC: 14M (oct)
Fox Business: 13.5M (nov)

Meanwhile, D debates have been:

CNN: 15.3M (oct)
CBS: 8.5M (nov)

very clear trend of people getting bored and the Dec 15th debate is closer to the holidays when people might be traveling. But being back on a major network, on a weeknight, with all the trumpmentum, the US/Paris attacks, etc, I'm torn. Already up on a handful of 22+ shares, but I might just try to take advantage of swings/inefficiencies since this feels really hard to predict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

thethreeman posted:

very clear trend of people getting bored and the Dec 15th debate is closer to the holidays when people might be traveling. But being back on a major network, on a weeknight, with all the trumpmentum, the US/Paris attacks, etc, I'm torn. Already up on a handful of 22+ shares, but I might just try to take advantage of swings/inefficiencies since this feels really hard to predict.

For what it's worth, I saw a TV commercial advertising the debate today. I don't think any of the others had much advertisement, did they?

• Locked thread