Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Look, the murderers are completely and solely responsible for their own actions and no external factors could have contributed into turning them into murderers. Now, let me tell you about how the Islamic community is turning people into murderers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/12/04/theyre-coming-here-kill-us-pirro-geraldo-spar-guns-radical-islam

Fox News: The reason we're losing to ISIS is because we're too politically correct and we must "speak out" against Muslims, regardless of political correctness.

Don't worry Fox I'm sure people will start shooting people who look like they're from the ME because they might be Muslim soon enough.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LGD posted:

Consider the possibility that getting people to stop justifying mass murder because doing so is ideologically convenient is the point.

I would love someone, anyone to quote the people doing this, because it's been asked for multiple times now and so far we've seen gently caress all.

No seriously, I'm waiting.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"Yes, the pig was about this high, Michelle."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Should I just post "convincing Westerners to radicalize Muslims by demonizing them was the stated objective of the Paris attacks" every page until posters stop arguing that not playing into their hands is "victim blaming"?

I mean, to be honest, it isn't "our" fault that these things happen. It's you dumb shits who have less understanding of other people than a kindergartener. If it weren't for you, terrorism would be a useless strategy and no one would bother with it.

Your idiotic reaction to terrorism is to blame. Yours- personally. You are the junky who buys the terrorists' product. You are the demand. ISIS is the supplier. Stop buying.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 5, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

Should I just post "convincing Westerners to radicalize Muslims by demonizing them was the stated objective of the Paris attacks" every page until posters stop arguing that not playing into their hands is "victim blaming"?

No, all violence comprises a monad of blame that exists entirely within the skin of the violencer

Napoleon did nothing wrong, but those guys marching in a line with muskets, hoo boy. Their blood is upon them.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

quote:

How? That's the question I was trying to answer. Something lead the couple to conclude that mass murder was their best option. How would you have stopped them from concluding that? What would you have changed about their lives and/or their surroundings?
I don't pretend to know, because nobody knows the actual circumstances or has any idea how we can stop all mass killers. What would you have changed about Elliot Rodger's life or surroundings to prevent him from going on a killing rampage? All agree his circumstances weren't unreasonable, but he still chose to take lives. So why are we content to assign blame to an internal flaw in one case, but are so quick to jump to external explanations of behavior in another?

quote:

The difference is the change being requested of the environment. I think asking toxic work environments to be made less toxic is a reasonable request. I don't think asking women to stop existing, or to appease every man that desires them, is a reasonable request. Again, it's a breakdown of what the causes were, and what can be done about those causes. If the cause of those murders was someone failing to get laid, then maybe we should consider changing how our culture portrays the importance of sex, or something (I'm making this up, I don't know the particulars of that case). It's not about assigning blame, it's about making changes to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Non-toxic work environments are reasonable. Killing an office because it's toxic very much isn't a reasonable response to one though, and it actually being a toxic environment is far from established. There are a lot of people who seem quite eager to conclude that it must have been a toxic enviornment to set these people off, and explore ways in which other people (the victims) could have changed their behavior to avoid provoking these people to kill. Which implicitly sets the victims up as the architects of their own demise- they had to have been lovely people to cause these killers to attack them. Which, I was hoping Elliot Rodger would demonstrate, they really didn't. This isn't about the end goal (which I agree with), it's about the way the killers and their victims are being discussed in this thread.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Erick Son of Erick is a literal child

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

LGD posted:

Non-toxic work environments are reasonable. Killing an office because it's toxic very much isn't a reasonable response to one though, and it actually being a toxic environment is far from established. There are a lot of people who seem quite eager to conclude that it must have been a toxic enviornment to set these people off, and explore ways in which other people (the victims) could have changed their behavior to avoid provoking these people to kill. Which implicitly sets the victims up as the architects of their own demise- they had to have been lovely people to cause these killers to attack them. Which, I was hoping Elliot Rodger would demonstrate, they really didn't. This isn't about the end goal (which I agree with), it's about the way the killers and their victims are being discussed in this thread.

It's not about the victims changing their behavior to avoid being killed - it's about the victims changing their behavior to not be lovely people. If you're lovely to someone, they may take umbrage and try to retaliate against you - you know the old adage, two wrongs don't make a right? If someone retaliates against you for being a lovely person toward them, they're still at fault, but you're not absolved of the blame that being an rear end in a top hat brings in the first place.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 5, 2015

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

LGD posted:

What would you have changed about Elliot Rodger's life or surroundings to prevent him from going on a killing rampage?

Actually, there are three large changes that I would make:

First, I would change the conception of self-worth in his/our society so that male self-worth were not aggressively promoted as something exclusively measured in pussy.

Second, I would change the understanding of said "pussy" from a commodity possessed by mysterious entities which reward masculinity to a biological feature of half of the human race who are otherwise not unlike him.

Third, I would change his (but not ours, since mental health services are great in my community) society so that mental health were not mystified and the issues not stigmatized.

E: actually, four changes: I would restrict access to guns like countries that aren't hostages to manchildren and profiteers!

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 5, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hodgepodge posted:

First, I would change the conception of self-worth in his/our society so that male self-worth were not aggressively promoted as something exclusively measured in pussy.

Second, I would change the understanding of said "pussy" from a commodity possessed by mysterious entities which reward masculinity to a biological feature of half of the human race who are otherwise not unlike him.

Third, I would change his (but not ours, since mental health services are great in my community) society so that mental health issues were not mystified and the issues not stigmatized.

SImilar to point #1, we also need to change society such that people's self worth isn't derived from financial success.

And the media needs to stop sensationalizing its reporting of spree killers.

Almost all of these people are suicidal and want to go out with a bang in a blaze of glory. We know how to address suicide waves; you provide services and support, and you stop sensationalized reporting of the attempts.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

"How big do my balls have to be to go up against Hillary?"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

Third, I would change his (but not ours, since mental health services are great in my community) society so that mental health were not mystified and the issues not stigmatized.

E: actually, four changes: I would restrict access to guns like countries that aren't hostages to manchildren and profiteers!

Do you notice how all of the behavioral changes you're advocating are focused on altering Rodgers' self-conception and thought processes? But the social changes people have been advocating for most strenuously in this thread have been oriented towards changing the (alleged) behavior and thinking of the people these killers victimized?

Niton posted:

It's not about the victims changing their behavior to avoid being killed - it's about the victims changing their behavior to not be lovely people. If you're lovely to someone, they may take umbrage and try to retaliate against you - you know the old adage, two wrongs don't make a right? If someone retaliates against you for being a lovely person toward them, they're still at fault, but you're not absolved of the blame that being an rear end in a top hat brings in the first place.
If you're not interested in assigning blame for the killings to the victims themselves why are you so concerned about their moral unworthiness? Like all humans they undoubtedly weren't morally perfect individuals ("no angels"), but with 14 people dead why are you at all interested in their "shittyness" if you don't have any interest in justifying their killings or suggesting that they brought it upon themselves through their actions/beliefs?

Maybe the woman who was raped was racist and really did say some awfully provocative things- if we repeatedly emphasize those facts after a rape, and argue that people should use the incident as an example of why we should try to hold more socially positive attitudes and not cause strife that leads to "chains of unfortunate events" what does that say about our real motivations?

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 5, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I know what can unite D&D again: a Gizmodo article on why spending money on infrastructure is bad because Uber doesn't get a say in where it's spent.

quote:

A big infrastructure bill finally passed the House this week, pushing $305 billion over five years to transit and highway projects. In the same week, Uber raised another $2.1 billion, bringing its total valuation to $62.5 billion—roughly the same amount the new bill spends on infrastructure each year.

Which of these figures do you think will impact our streets more? The answer will tell you everything about how the way we get around is changing—and how the way we plan for transportation needs to change along with it.

Uber is just one example of a company that’s radically altering our streets. Not only is it changing what it means to use a car, it’s now a major player in an autonomous revolution. Uber will transform the landscape of America’s road system, alongside its peers like Google, Apple, Tesla, and others.

Yet, if you look closely, nowhere in the new transportation bill is it clear that driverless cars, or even ride-sharing, is guiding the allocation of that hard-won $305 billion. That has to change, fast.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SedanChair posted:

What a lovely group, I hope that was from 25 yards.

Uh, if he was using a rifle he should have done better than that from 25 yards.

But he was probably using a pistol so maybe it's okay.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The outstretched arms thing is basically Bernie's "Let me be clear", isn't it?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

1stGear posted:

The outstretched arms thing is basically Bernie's "Let me be clear", isn't it?

Maybe he's making fun of John McCain?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

If it impacts traffic patterns, then brilliant, dedicated data scientists will notice within a year or two and adjust their allocations accordingly.

Suck it, Uberailures.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

I'll trade the secret of road deterioration with uber in exchange for 75 noogies and 25 Golden Swirlies to the twat gently caress that wrote this poo poo.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Uh, if he was using a rifle he should have done better than that from 25 yards.

But he was probably using a pistol so maybe it's okay.

Even with a pistol that's still pretty bad aim. I've only been to a range 5 or 6 times but I can do better at 30 yards than that. :psyduck:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Slaan posted:

Even with a pistol that's still pretty bad aim. I've only been to a range 5 or 6 times but I can do better at 30 yards than that. :psyduck:

The vertical stringing lets you know he was getting excited.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

"Yes, the pig was about this high, Michelle."

:golfclap:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
O'Malley is working hard for the fishmech vote.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Why is O'Malley still running?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh yeah, the DoE is canceling more of the federal student loans of people who went to the now bankrupt for-profit Corinthian Colleges. This includes Everest, Heald, and WyoTech and brings the total forgiven over $500 million. Death to for-profit colleges.

(Bernouts are mad that Obama isn't cancelling all student loans for everyone ever.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Why is O'Malley still running?

If Clinton keels over dead he's the Establishment Understudy.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

What a lovely group, I hope that was from 25 yards.
First comment on the tweet noted this, his excuse is it's on purpose because he wanted to cover the whole thing top to bottom.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Edit: Nevermind

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh yeah, the DoE is canceling more of the federal student loans of people who went to the now bankrupt for-profit Corinthian Colleges. This includes Everest, Heald, and WyoTech and brings the total forgiven over $500 million. Death to for-profit colleges.

(Bernouts are mad that Obama isn't cancelling all student loans for everyone ever.)

Bernouts would be mad that full communism now wasn't full or now enough.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

T. Bombastus posted:

Good stuff. Does Trump have any policy positions that don't boil down to "I'm great, so it would be great"? All the moderate Republicans in my life cling to the belief that they're the party of hard-headed realism and intellectual rigor; I wonder who they're voting for in the primary?

He did say he wants to go "one step further than water boarding" if he was president. Seems pretty extreme but based on studies a drowned body would yield just about as much actionable intel as someone who is being water boarded.

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/12/04/theyre-coming-here-kill-us-pirro-geraldo-spar-guns-radical-islam

Fox News: The reason we're losing to ISIS is because we're too politically correct and we must "speak out" against Muslims, regardless of political correctness.

It's pretty great when you find an article so openly persecuting a religion that you could switch it to Christianity and make the authors name Pontus Pilate and it would still make perfect historical sense or the slightly less effective but more contemporary Godwin version. And by "pretty great" I mean suicidally depressing, of course.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Erick Son of Erick is a literal child

True, but the fact that he wrote an editorial about how he is scared to see the new Star Wars because he is afraid the theater will get attacked by ISIS then pulls this stunt makes him one of the more entertaining right wing personalities.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Bernouts would be mad that full communism now wasn't full or now enough.

So you are saying that between Full Communism Now and Accelerationism that the truth is... in the middle?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

LGD posted:

Do you notice how all of the behavioral changes you're advocating are focused on altering Rodgers' self-conception and thought processes? But the social changes people have been advocating for most strenuously in this thread have been oriented towards changing the (alleged) behavior and thinking of the people these killers victimized?

Yes and no. These focus on changing society as a whole, Rodgers included. Rodgers, of course, was quite priviledged, being white/asian, male, and from a well-off family.

Likewise, the behaviour of the privileged is the main area of dispute here. After all, these attacks have a simple goal- influence the majority in the West to persecute Muslims, so that some portion of Muslims will radicalize. This sets up a cycle of violence and persecution.

In such a scenario, the winning move is to break the cycle on one's own end. We aren't responsible for how others react to persectution. We are responsible for our own actions, and in that case, that is persecution.

Note that the victims, being dead, cannot be influenced by this discussion. Our own behaviour, and how we react to that of others within our society, can be.

I don't know your motives, personally. But your line of argument is not about whether the victims are to blame. It is about our own responsibility- yours, mine, our friends and families. And your argument is in favor of abdication of responsibility in favor of blaming someone or something else.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 5, 2015

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
No the truth is far from the middle. The only truth in this world is the absolute of death.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Wait, is D&D against student loan debt forgiveness now?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Maarek posted:

Wait, is D&D against student loan debt forgiveness now?

D&D is generally against criticizing Obama from the left, I'm not sure why.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
No did I say I was?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

Yes and no. These focus on changing society as a whole, Rodgers included. Rodgers, of course, was quite priviledged, being white/asian, male, and from a well-off family.

Likewise, the behaviour of the privileged is the main area of dispute here. After all, these attacks have a simple goal- influence the majority in the West to persecute Muslims, so that some portion of Muslims will radicalize. This sets up a cycle of violence and persecution.

In such a scenario, the winning move is to break the cycle on one's own end. We aren't responsible for how others react to persectution. We are responsible for our own actions, and in that case, that is persecution.

Note that the victims, being dead, cannot be influenced by this discussion. Our own behaviour, and how we react to that of others within our society, is.

I don't know your motives, personally. But your line of argument is not about whether the victims are to blame. It is about our own responsibility- yours, mine, our friends and families. And your argument is in favor of abdication of responsibility in favor of blaming someone or something else.

Yes, I'm suggesting that we clearly assign blame to those who thought that they were entitled to kill an office full of people, just as we're happy to assign blame to a rapist- they committed an act that is unconscionable regardless of how underprivileged or badly treated they may have been relative to their victim. The "behavior of the privileged" is only the main area of dispute if you're indeed seeking to justify what they did as a consequence of misbehavior on the part of "privileged" victims- i.e. they "deserved it" because the poor agency-less mass murderers had no choice in the face of their oppression but to lash out and murder 14 people. We can absolutely choose how we respond to this, in ways both good and bad. I think that minimizing the killer's responsibility for their own behavior so we can better speculate about how animus they *might* have faced from their victims led naturally to the victim's deaths is a very, very bad way to do that, and reflects quite poorly on the people doing so, regardless of how laudable their ends may be.

LGD fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 5, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If Clinton keels over dead he's the Establishment Understudy.

But Biden is still alive and popular?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

didnt the killdozer guy destroy a brand new library or something

gently caress that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Internet Webguy posted:

True, but the fact that he wrote an editorial about how he is scared to see the new Star Wars because he is afraid the theater will get attacked by ISIS then pulls this stunt makes him one of the more entertaining right wing personalities.
Oh, I forgot about that. But his demand was metal detectors at every theater not any shape or form of gun control right?

• Locked thread