Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kilometers Davis posted:

It really shouldn't do that, so at least try a replacement to check if the ATV4 just doesn't like your internet or something. Mine has been in use for at least 7-8 hours a day since launch and it has never crashed, buffered abnormally, froze, anything like that.

Yeah and I'm finding some other folks on macrumors forums saying the same... But not so many people that it seems to be a pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
My ATV3 does that constantly. Like at least once per hour of use.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Feenix posted:

Yeah and I'm finding some other folks on macrumors forums saying the same... But not so many people that it seems to be a pandemic.

Of course last night I had my first freeze/weird lockup for about 5 minutes thanks to PlutoTV being buggy. Should have kept my mouth shut!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The Weather Channel app is poo poo.

The Weather Network app is pretty good. No ugly ATV2 menus anywhere and a TV stream that is like Weather Channel used to be before NBC hosed it up hard. I wasn't even aware they had a channel for the US; since they were originally "the Canadian version of TWC."It even superimposes your local forecast over the lower third of the video like a local cable weather computer station would.

If you just want to keep track of weather at your current location, Siri is fine; but if you want like a multi region forecast this will do you until one of the iOS indie darlings come over.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 3, 2015

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

My wishlist for the new ATV, in no particular order:

• Slingbox App
  • Official Plex App
  • Pandora App
  • Spotify App
  • Twitch App
  • VLC App
  • HockeyStreams App
  • Remote iOS app integration
  • HomeKit integration
  • Non-sucky Netflix App
  • Siri Search to include Plex/Home Sharing/etc (Siri API essentially)

Each of these have varying levels of inevitability, ranging from "definitely happening at some point" to "not gonna happen, but I want it anyway."

Quoting myself a little over a month later to see how we're doing:

• Slingbox App NOPE
  • Official Plex App YAY!
  • Pandora App NOPE
  • Spotify App NOPE
  • Twitch App NOPE
  • VLC App NOPE (but I don't really care about it anymore anyway)
  • HockeyStreams App NOPE (also don't really care about it anymore)
  • Remote iOS app integration NOPE
  • HomeKit integration NOPE
  • Non-sucky Netflix App NOPE
  • Siri Search to include Plex/Home Sharing/etc (Siri API essentially) NOPE

Overall not too much progress made yet. I wonder what's taking a lot of these app developers so long to get tvOS apps out? I thought for sure we'd have Pandora and Spotify by now. Then again, I thought for sure we'd have an updated Remote app by now, so :iiam:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

OldSenileGuy posted:

I think VLC is in TestFlight beta right now, and you can sign up for it. And if you really want it now you could compile it yourself from their git. It is open source after all. :v:

It's pretty good, but at this point I would rather stream everything through Plex; it's just easier. Cool to see the libraries running though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

OldSenileGuy posted:

[*] Twitch App [b]NOPE[[b]

I use UnTwitched for many hours of watching (as my record of shot posting in the Dota tournament thread can attest) and am happy with it. Wish I could select my own bitrate quality, but oh well. If necessary, their iOS app has solid AirPlay support.

In a sense, an unofficial app is better because it doesn't include support for their advertising. I was a bit sad when the developer of Roku's unofficial app shut it down when an official one came out. It's not like they HAD to, given the plethora of Android apps. It's why their API exists.

Lasalas
Feb 26, 2005
Infuse for Apple TV is out

http://firecore.com/blog

How is nobody talking about this?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lasalas posted:

Because Plex is free and it got there first.

Lasalas
Feb 26, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Because Plex is free and it got there first.

This is nothing like Plex. There's no middleware involved here - basically turns your Apple TV into a local streaming device from almost any network point.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Lasalas posted:

This is nothing like Plex. There's no middleware involved here - basically turns your Apple TV into a local streaming device from almost any network point.

It doesnt need a server? What "middleware" does plex have?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah if plex had any less "-ware" it'd be pulling shows magically out of thin air and/or beaming it straight into your brain.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cornjob posted:

It doesnt need a server? What "middleware" does plex have?

I haven't used the more advanced features of Infuse, though I've installed it on my phone for tinkering. It just logs in via the typical file sharing channels, namely FTP and SMB/Windows File Sharing. Which works fine locally, but maybe isn't so great when you're serving FTP/SMB to the Internet. I don't know how Plex server works so I'm not saying it's more secure, but people do seem to trust it whereas opening file sharing to the world kind of leaves you on your own as far as security goes.

On top of that, you don't get the Plex account system where you can log into a server or multiple servers just by logging into the Plex directory. And while it does play a lot of file containers, Plex will convert many additional codecs into something usable with your device whether native or no. Conversion takes processing somewhere, and while the ATV could transcode audio in real time (I've had an Android tablet from 2012 do this) it isn't likely to do video.

IIRC, Infuse is one of those "by Apple users, for Apple users" apps so you lose the flexibility of the many Plex apps across all sorts of devices and systems. I don't believe there's any clients for Roku or Fire or Xbox or PS4 or whatever you may have in addition to iOS/tvOS.

So basically Infuse is okay if you don't want to set up a server to handle transcoding, don't plan to stream on the go (or are okay opening some public-facing file protocol ports) and have never once stepped out of the Apple ecosystem in many years. And after all of that, for comparable features you have to pay for the app, too. Most normal user cases should simply use Plex because It Just Works.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 5, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

• Slingbox App NOPE
  • Official Plex App YAY!
  • Pandora App NOPE
  • Spotify App NOPE
  • Twitch App NOPE
  • HockeyStreams App NOPE (also don't really care about it anymore)
  • Remote iOS app integration NOPE
  • HomeKit integration NOPE
  • Non-sucky Netflix App NOPE
  • Siri Search to include Plex/Home Sharing/etc (Siri API essentially) NOPE

Overall not too much progress made yet. I wonder what's taking a lot of these app developers so long to get tvOS apps out? I thought for sure we'd have Pandora and Spotify by now. Then again, I thought for sure we'd have an updated Remote app by now, so :iiam:
Lack of Pandora and Spotify are strange, for sure. Don't get your hopes up on a different Netflix app, though. It's identical to what every other device has, though I do agree it's a big step down from the ATV3 app.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Lack of Pandora and Spotify are strange, for sure. Don't get your hopes up on a different Netflix app, though. It's identical to what every other device has, though I do agree it's a big step down from the ATV3 app.

It's not though, even their iOS app has more functionality than the tvOS app, despite their similar look.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Craptacular! posted:

I haven't used the more advanced features of Infuse, though I've installed it on my phone for tinkering. It just logs in via the typical file sharing channels, namely FTP and SMB/Windows File Sharing. Which works fine locally, but maybe isn't so great when you're serving FTP/SMB to the Internet. I don't know how Plex server works so I'm not saying it's more secure, but people do seem to trust it whereas opening file sharing to the world kind of leaves you on your own as far as security goes.

On top of that, you don't get the Plex account system where you can log into a server or multiple servers just by logging into the Plex directory. And while it does play a lot of file containers, Plex will convert many additional codecs into something usable with your device whether native or no. Conversion takes processing somewhere, and while the ATV could transcode audio in real time (I've had an Android tablet from 2012 do this) it isn't likely to do video.

IIRC, Infuse is one of those "by Apple users, for Apple users" apps so you lose the flexibility of the many Plex apps across all sorts of devices and systems. I don't believe there's any clients for Roku or Fire or Xbox or PS4 or whatever you may have in addition to iOS/tvOS.

So basically Infuse is okay if you don't want to set up a server to handle transcoding, don't plan to stream on the go (or are okay opening some public-facing file protocol ports) and have never once stepped out of the Apple ecosystem in many years. And after all of that, for comparable features you have to pay for the app, too. Most normal user cases should simply use Plex because It Just Works.

Does infuse have the option to use local metadata for cover art and organization? I dont like that Plex ignores my local nfo files.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Lasalas posted:

I bought it and it's pretty bad, it stuttered on the files I tried that work fine in plex

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cornjob posted:

Does infuse have the option to use local metadata for cover art and organization? I dont like that Plex ignores my local nfo files.

Maybe. I only have free Infuse set up on my iPhone to compare with VLC for playing files off a local network. I don't use it remotely, don't use it's Trakt integration (nice idea though) or whatever else. I need to play with it more in the future, but from a superficial scan I realized it isn't a viable TV In Every Room platform for most households.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you have a jpg with the same filename as the video file plex uses that as the cover art. I use it all the time.

Lasalas
Feb 26, 2005

Perplx posted:

I bought it and it's pretty bad, it stuttered on the files I tried that work fine in plex

That's not good. Was it as bad on an iPad/phone if you managed to try it on either of those?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

GutBomb posted:

If you have a jpg with the same filename as the video file plex uses that as the cover art. I use it all the time.

Also the Plex web interface let's you customize all the art elements of any file including submitting your own works to the local database.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

UnTwitched is pretty much what I want from a Twitch client. Not sure what an official one will offer over this, other than maybe it'll be free?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Craptacular! posted:

Also the Plex web interface let's you customize all the art elements of any file including submitting your own works to the local database.

I know, but it sucks at properly identifying things right the first time, and the changes you make cant be exported. If you move your plex server to a different machine, you lose all your changes. If your library is large, with lots of customization, its a pain in the rear end.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cornjob posted:

I know, but it sucks at properly identifying things right the first time, and the changes you make cant be exported. If you move your plex server to a different machine, you lose all your changes. If your library is large, with lots of customization, its a pain in the rear end.

There isn't an official way in the app but the config files and database are portable by simply putting them where they belong on the new machine. I'm not sure where they live on Mac (but I'm assuming in ~/Library/Application Support/) but on Windows they are in the appdata folder for your user.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
http://www.techhive.com/article/3011950/streaming-hardware/apple-tv-gets-an-app-for-over-the-air-channels-with-the-right-hardware.html

I bought this app today to take one step closer in my quest to have the ATV be my one input. Plex's HDHR add-on was ok, but I couldn't get an onscreen guide working and required a bunch of navigating for me and my setup.

Setting up the app was easy, it automatically found my tuner. Guide worked beautifully and the fiance was able to navigate easily. I'm sure less costly apps will start popping up soon, but I'm happy with the purchase.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have all my video files in iTunes with good tagging. Is Plex worth trying if I currently use iTunes home sharing?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

smackfu posted:

I have all my video files in iTunes with good tagging. Is Plex worth trying if I currently use iTunes home sharing?

Yes, I've completely abandoned iTunes for this since Plex came out for ATV.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Plex isn't great at things like CBTs or other videos which don't fit into the "Show->Season->EpisodeXX" format, but that's about the only gripe I have with it.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

The NFL app on Apple TV (not sure when this was released) has full Gamepass support!

I still have to use Adfreetime to trick the geo-location, but can watch LIVE full games on the new ATV. Pretty sure this is the first media box to support this, definitely never found a gamepass app on the Fire TV or Roku.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Plex mini-review (vs using iTunes Home Sharing):

Very easy to set-up the server on my Mac.
Apple TV app is free, surprising since it's $5 on other platforms.
Doesn't show you thumbnails as you scrub.
TV show features are much better, more like Netflix with offering to show you the next episode.
Doesn't require the transcoding to h264/MP4 step.

Plus it has the standard Plex features like working outside the house and from cheap Android tablets. And accessing your library from an iPhone doesn't require a five minute loading step like the built-in Videos app.

So I'm going to stick with it for now. I think I'll still do the transcoding, because iTunes formatted files with metadata are pretty nice to deal with if you have Macs.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Am I missing something or is there no way to skip to the next video in YouTube?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Nope, The YouTube app seems pretty rushed overall. I still haven't found a way to refresh the Subscriptions feed without force-closing the app.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Cawd Rud posted:

Nope, The YouTube app seems pretty rushed overall. I still haven't found a way to refresh the Subscriptions feed without force-closing the app.

It's not just the YouTube app. It seems in general the remote lacks a "skip to next" button when watching videos. It's the same thing when watching a Plex playlist - the only way to get to the next episode is to scrub to the end of the currently playing episode and let it finish. It's very annoying. :mad:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Finally had the chance to check out the new ATV in person. Looks pretty nice, going to wait it out a little bit though seeing all the teething issues it has.

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's not just the YouTube app. It seems in general the remote lacks a "skip to next" button when watching videos. It's the same thing when watching a Plex playlist - the only way to get to the next episode is to scrub to the end of the currently playing episode and let it finish. It's very annoying. :mad:

Push and hold the right side of the touch pad. If you just touch it it's a 10 second jump. But if you hold it, it skips to the next video.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
This thing honestly feels entirely half-baked. There's almost no support for it and whatever is on there is less functional than older devices. Lack of Remote.app and a real keyboard to input text as well. After putting in like four passwords and failing to properly enter my keypass generated Plex password twice I gave up and let it go for another time.

But at least it came packed nicely and there was a lightning cable?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
On my ATV3 that certificate way of using Plex had a setting where you could basically say "don't show me synopsis unless I've seen the ep already."

The official TVOS ATV4 Plex app *seems* to have none of that... Unless I'm missing something? Do tell...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
None of the Plex apps I've ever used in numerous platforms have ever had a setting like that. I think whoever set up that old ATV workaround probably made that to address their higher-than-normal aversion to spoilers.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Update your phone and TV. The new remote app supports ATV4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Got a link? I don't see any updates in the App Store.