Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Mordiceius posted:

Cuchulainn is an annoying boss if only because he'll usually vomit within the first 5 seconds of the fight. I generally expect that for the first 15-20 seconds of a fight, most people are idiots and it takes them 10 seconds alone to realize the fight has started then another 10 seconds to consider that they might want to move to a position other than where people were clumped to start. Since Cuchulainn vomits almost immediately, it is almost always targeted toward that massive clumped group and 3-5 people will drop dead.

It has a maximum range. If you pull the boss and keep running straight forward the first spew won't reach the people standing by the purple line. He'll reset position a bit after that for the 4-tentacle slam and at that point if people still aren't watching they can eat poo poo, but it'll save the initial deaths from people not watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

PyPy posted:

Shameless plug, but I think I have a good idea. I'd like a skywatcher as an outdoor fixture for player estates, obtainable as a fishing achievement reward. I posted it on the official forums. If you like it, please log in with your character and up-vote it so maybe it can be seen by devs and not die.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/134353-Housing-Ideas-and-Feature-Requests?p=3465254&posted=1#post3465254

This is a great idea, I'd compromise for skywatchers at just the major bell, board and aetheryte shard spots in the residential areas too.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Runefaust posted:

Alright! I've put in maybe 10 hours worth of gameplay total since I picked this up for PS4, and I thought I'd have a lot rougher of a time with using a controller. I was telling myself "I could never play FFXIV on a controller" after playing it on PC.

Let me tell you, I loving love using the dual shock controller. It feels beautiful. My only gripe is setting up the different options and configuring the UI to the way I like it took a while, but otherwise the controls for PS4 are phenomenal.

That reminds me, I need to see what the current state of DS4 drivers is on PC. Last time I tried (admittedly a long time ago) it felt like I was getting input delays I don't have with the wired 360 controller. Was using USB so it wasn't a Bluetooth issue.

Would love to be able to stop having the odd 360 dpad misfire.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Quick question, sorry if it was addressed within the last few pages but does buying Heavensward come with a month of subscription time? I'm getting back into FF14 once I'm done with law finals and some friends who only played ARR were considering hopping back in as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bhsman posted:

Quick question, sorry if it was addressed within the last few pages but does buying Heavensward come with a month of subscription time? I'm getting back into FF14 once I'm done with law finals and some friends who only played ARR were considering hopping back in as well.

I don't think so. But you can get it for $20 of Amazon, unless you bought it through steam in which case you have to buy heavensward through steam.

Well, looks like its back up to $30 on amazon, but if you shop around or wait for a deal it goes down sometimes, and 30 is still better than the full 40 on steam and elsewhere.

WoW did the same thing, used to give you free months with each expansion but they stopped.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

This person is cooler than any of us will ever be.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

This image actually brings up a point I want to ask about - is there any way to decrease the size of my action bars without decreasing the entire UI, so that the little text boxes that pop up for quests aren't super tiny?

I'd love to have my buttons at roughly half the size they are now, but that also appears to require making everything else just as small.

I just feel like screen real estate is at a premium with this game. I play on PC.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Leofish posted:

This image actually brings up a point I want to ask about - is there any way to decrease the size of my action bars without decreasing the entire UI, so that the little text boxes that pop up for quests aren't super tiny?

I'd love to have my buttons at roughly half the size they are now, but that also appears to require making everything else just as small.

I just feel like screen real estate is at a premium with this game. I play on PC.

You can select the specific bar in the UI config and hit ctrl-home to increase/decrease their size.

vvv It is in fact ctrl+home.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 5, 2015

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Niton posted:

You can select the specific bar in the UI config and hit.. I believe ctrl + to increase/decrease their size?

I think it's ctrl-home.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This video is upsetting a lot of people on the OF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn_kGVgQ1LU

It owns (7 WAR and 1 WHM clear Thordan Ex).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tortolia posted:

That reminds me, I need to see what the current state of DS4 drivers is on PC. Last time I tried (admittedly a long time ago) it felt like I was getting input delays I don't have with the wired 360 controller. Was using USB so it wasn't a Bluetooth issue.

Would love to be able to stop having the odd 360 dpad misfire.

According to DS4Windows I'm always staying under 10ms latency via USB. I've certainly never had any trouble using it for anything, at least.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

seiferguy posted:

This video is upsetting a lot of people on the OF

It's kind of funny that this is the one bothering them, because it's unironically easier & less (skill) impressive than a normal solo heal video - all of th the "DPS" are a ton more survivable, and a group of Warriors absolutely does enough damage to beat the soft enrage. The only reason they even got close to the second Sacred Cross is because one of the warriors hosed up and ate a Gaze in the first phase.

Warrior's broken as poo poo and it's hilarious, :rip: warriors eventually but i'll be riding the train until then.

Niton fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 6, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's weird because I don't see a lot of people playing warrior, yet it's pretty clear that it's the best tank class. Of course the solution to PLD's issues would just be to nerf WAR instead.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Skaw posted:

This is a great idea, I'd compromise for skywatchers at just the major bell, board and aetheryte shard spots in the residential areas too.

Thanks! Spread the word with the link so maybe it can get more up-votes!

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
The solution is for SE to admit they were wrong and buff pld. Like they have been wrong about many things in the past.

I skimmed that thread until I got a headache but they seemed to be arguing that it wasn't possible to do the same with Paladin. I'm pretty sure the only hard thing about doing this with paladins is finding 7 competent paladins who haven't changed to dark knight.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

jwang posted:

This FFXI event is great. I love how the first part has you sparring with aquatic wildlife because it is the easiest way to improve you. It's only made better because it's also where you fight Cancer, which gives you the crab mini-pet that also takes a potshot at old school XI grinding.

I love that the FATE is named "Our Favorite Pastime."

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Fishious posted:

The solution is for SE to admit they were wrong and buff pld. Like they have been wrong about many things in the past.

I skimmed that thread until I got a headache but they seemed to be arguing that it wasn't possible to do the same with Paladin. I'm pretty sure the only hard thing about doing this with paladins is finding 7 competent paladins who haven't changed to dark knight.

I think Paladin might be just slightly under what you need, because of the lack of Slashing debuff and possibly also TP considerations. Maybe you could chain Divine Veils and bring an Astrologian for Spire?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

seiferguy posted:

It's weird because I don't see a lot of people playing warrior, yet it's pretty clear that it's the best tank class. Of course the solution to PLD's issues would just be to nerf WAR instead.

It's actually the worst tank class because PLD and DRK both look really good, whereas WAR looks like a hobo.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Mymla posted:

It's actually the worst tank class because PLD and DRK both look really good, whereas WAR looks like a hobo.

Considering MMO player characters are murder-hobos, you may as well fully play the part. :black101:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

A lot of it is just that most players don't get deep enough into the game to realize that realize that warriors are the best. They're more attracted to the aesthetics of being a typical knight in shining armor, or maximum edgelord.

That being said, paladin is pretty good for main tanking Thordan EX. A lot of the class's problems stem from Savage Alex encounter design.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

According to DS4Windows I'm always staying under 10ms latency via USB. I've certainly never had any trouble using it for anything, at least.

Yeah, went ahead today and updated the app (apparently a year and a half since I last tried) and it works great. Just had to switch the game to DS4 settings and not 360. Good stuff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Manmode thordex owns. I wonder how a scholar bookclub with a solo tank would fare.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Niton posted:

I think Paladin might be just slightly under what you need, because of the lack of Slashing debuff and possibly also TP considerations. Maybe you could chain Divine Veils and bring an Astrologian for Spire?

As mentioned above Paladin is actually pretty good for thordan, but I really don't know what a non-slashing pld would be like. Looking over FF logs its hard to find one that doesn't have nin or war but they are also really uncompetitive, most tanks that care about their DPS simply stopped playing PLD and the few who still do and usually dominate the alex savage parses aren't submitting thordan parses. It goes back to what I said before about finding 7 paladins who would or could actually do this. If they all pulled above 750 DPS it is within a clear parse, and I can see that happening.

Shouldn't diminish how poo poo paladin is, 750 is really not a high benchmark for tanks right now.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Fister Roboto posted:

A lot of it is just that most players don't get deep enough into the game to realize that realize that warriors are the best. They're more attracted to the aesthetics of being a typical knight in shining armor, or maximum edgelord.

That being said, paladin is pretty good for main tanking Thordan EX. A lot of the class's problems stem from Savage Alex encounter design.

This reminds me, how does DRK damage compare to WAR? On paper I'd think that DRK could keep up but WAR always seems a mile ahead.

When I say damage I mean like damage stance MAXIMUM DPS damage, not damage while tanking.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Fishious posted:

As mentioned above Paladin is actually pretty good for thordan, but I really don't know what a non-slashing pld would be like. Looking over FF logs its hard to find one that doesn't have nin or war but they are also really uncompetitive, most tanks that care about their DPS simply stopped playing PLD and the few who still do and usually dominate the alex savage parses aren't submitting thordan parses. It goes back to what I said before about finding 7 paladins who would or could actually do this. If they all pulled above 750 DPS it is within a clear parse, and I can see that happening.

Shouldn't diminish how poo poo paladin is, 750 is really not a high benchmark for tanks right now.

Oh, I don't doubt they could beat the hard enrage, but I don't think you could beat the soft enrage (like WARs did, without issue). I even play Paladin for Thordan - it feels really good, but mostly just makes me me hate Paladin for other things even more.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

BrightWing posted:

This reminds me, how does DRK damage compare to WAR? On paper I'd think that DRK could keep up but WAR always seems a mile ahead.

When I say damage I mean like damage stance MAXIMUM DPS damage, not damage while tanking.

For damage, DRK MT is better than WAR MT. WAR OT, obviously, is king.

I do want to stress that this is in fights with drawn out phases and not Thordan where things line up to match Warrior's bursty damage drat near perfectly. I'm not sure having a DRK MT, 6 WARs, and a Healer in there would be any better.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 6, 2015

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Niton posted:

You can select the specific bar in the UI config and hit ctrl-home to increase/decrease their size.

vvv It is in fact ctrl+home.

vOv posted:

I think it's ctrl-home.

Thank you both for this! Very helpful.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Skaw posted:

For damage, DRK MT is better than WAR MT. WAR OT, obviously, is king.

I do want to stress that this is in fights with drawn out phases and not Thordan where things line up to match Warrior's bursty damage drat near perfectly. I'm not sure having a DRK MT, 6 WARs, and a Healer in there would be any better.

Does this include WAR MT where the Warrior stance-dances to lay out Fell Cleaves, let alone triple-cleaves?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
paladins a cute

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've just started playing this and I'm levelling MRD to 50 first. I've already gotten GLD to 15 so I can be a Warrior, but are there any other cross-class powers I'm going to particularly want as a level 50 WAR when I eventually get there?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've just started playing this and I'm levelling MRD to 50 first. I've already gotten GLD to 15 so I can be a Warrior, but are there any other cross-class powers I'm going to particularly want as a level 50 WAR when I eventually get there?

The most important one is Provoke at level 22 GLD. You'll need that for higher level content. Pugilist's Internal Release (level 12) is good for Warrior, and GLD's Awareness at level 34 meshes well with a skill you get in the mid-50s as Warrior.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The most important one is Provoke at level 22 GLD. You'll need that for higher level content. Pugilist's Internal Release (level 12) is good for Warrior, and GLD's Awareness at level 34 meshes well with a skill you get in the mid-50s as Warrior.

But if you really hate playing GLD awareness isn't really that important so don't worry about it too much. Get provoke done as soon as possible though.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also just in case you're not aware, you can (and should) change to WAR at level 30, not waiting until you're 50.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You're going to need to continue GLD a little while longer so you can learn provoke, for one. I forget what level though. 21 or something.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Whoa, what is all this baby provoke poo poo? The best cross class for warrior is Internal Release which is Pugilist level 12.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Comic posted:

Also just in case you're not aware, you can (and should) change to WAR at level 30, not waiting until you're 50.

That's the plan, yeah. :) The question was generally "what cross-class skills do I want endgame as a WAR," but 50 isn't actually endgame any more. :v:

I'll get to MRD30 then go grind out 7 more levels of GLD for Provoke, and do PGL12 for Internal Release. I'm glad none of the must-haves are high level unlocks, the Armoury system is really cool, and I'm having a ton of fun as Marauder, since I like tanking but I also like not having a miserable time solo levelling.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

seiferguy posted:

This video is upsetting a lot of people on the OF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn_kGVgQ1LU

I presume theres a bunch of dick sucking about how good chocobo players are in there as well?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's the plan, yeah. :) The question was generally "what cross-class skills do I want endgame as a WAR," but 50 isn't actually endgame any more. :v:

I'll get to MRD30 then go grind out 7 more levels of GLD for Provoke, and do PGL12 for Internal Release. I'm glad none of the must-haves are high level unlocks, the Armoury system is really cool, and I'm having a ton of fun as Marauder, since I like tanking but I also like not having a miserable time solo levelling.

Hell, tanks are among the easiest for solo leveling anyway. Melee DPS don't get to hit their positionals unless they stun the mob or it decides to do a ground AoE, and anything with a castbar is subject to interruption annoyances when their target is hitting them in the face. Meanwhile, tanks not only don't have to worry about either of those things, but they can (by definition) take hits like a champ.

As for cross-class, gladiator 22 and pugilist 12 will cover almost everything you care about as a warrior, though you will eventually want to push gladiator/paladin to 34 for Awareness. Some time between 50 and 56 on warrior is probably a good time to make that push; late enough that warrior's slowed down a bit, but before getting the warrior ability at 56 (called Raw Intuition) which synergizes nicely with Awareness.

And technically you could push pugilist/monk to 42 for Mantra, but it's very anemic cross-classed and I can't remember the last time I actually wanted to cross-class it on warrior (or anything else that can cross-class it, for that matter).

It's basically Provoke, Internal Release, and then pick your favorite/situational three from Flash, Convalescence, Awareness, and Second Wind. With an honorary nod to Featherfoot, which never saves you despite anguished cries of "FEATHERFOOT SAVE ME!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I use interner release, provoke, flash, convalescence, and awareness personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I use interner release, provoke, flash, convalescence, and awareness personally.

That's my general setup too. Before Shiva Extreme, and definitely before Holy Yoshi-P deigned to grace us with the glory that is Equilibrium (all praise to his name), I ran Second Wind instead of Awareness. These days it feels a bit meh.

• Locked thread