Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
My fellow Americans, tonight I want to tell you that ISIS have indeed put on Kobe Bryant's jersey, yet much like him will soon be retired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

responsibleandmaturegunownership.png

Let's be honest here; he poked holes in it with a pen.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Is this gonna be the speech where he finally admits in order of bad to worse: He's going to take away my guns, rape my wife, then raise my taxes?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Is this gonna be the speech where he finally admits in order of bad to worse: He's going to take away my guns, rape my wife, then raise my taxes?

Make you get gay married too.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

euphronius posted:

What happened to that bill.

Same thing that happens to every bill in the Senate: nothing.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder, if someone goes into a gun shop and says give me three rifles, four shotguns and two handguns, are they any more likely to be looked at by the FBI or whoever than if they go to nine different gun shops and buy one each?

Pretty sure this causes Wayne Lapierre to appear and give you a high-five.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

euphronius posted:

I can't stress this enough congress refused to give Obama an Aumf for Isis!!

This would be different. It would be on a national speech during primetime and getting deeper into an election year. Could candidates really go from ATTACK ISIL YOU COWARD!!! to NO OBAMA WE MUST AVOID WAR!!! without people noticing? I'm not so sure.

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This would be different. It would be on a national speech during primetime and getting deeper into an election year. Could candidates really go from ATTACK ISIL YOU COWARD!!! to NO OBAMA WE MUST AVOID WAR!!! without people noticing? I'm not so sure.

The only thing that matters is that Obama is wrong. Full stop. Republicans would neither notice nor care.

Edit: remember, these are people who consider Chris Christie unelectable because he once touched Obama.

hakkart fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 6, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Lindsey Graham introduced one this week. It gives the President authorization to declare war anywhere for any amount of time.

Well someone sure does have a high opinion of his own elect-ability.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

hakkart posted:

The only thing that matters is that Obama is wrong. Full stop. Republicans would neither notice nor care.

Edit: remember, these are people who consider Chris Christie unelectable because he once touched Obama.

"Republicans weak on national defense. They turned down the President's request for AUMF". Especially since national defense is going to end up being a big topic next year as terrorist attacks increase.

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx

Nelson Mandingo posted:

"Republicans weak on national defense. They turned down the President's request for AUMF". Especially since national defense is going to end up being a big topic next year as terrorist attacks increase.

Unfortunately they also control the narrative. Don't get me wrong, I *want* you to he right, but my suspicion is that they can avoid giving the president a AUMF AND still claim to have tougher foreign policy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Preview of tomorrow's speech:

quote:

“We have moved to an entirely new phase in the global terrorist threat and in our homeland security efforts,” Jeh Johnson, the secretary of homeland security, said in an interview on Saturday. Terrorists have “in effect outsourced attempts to attack our homeland. We’ve seen this not just here but in other places. This requires a whole new approach, in my view.”

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

quote:

Unable to curb the availability of guns at home or extremist propaganda from overseas, the authorities may have to rely more on encouraging Americans to watch one another and report suspicions. Federal and local governments already have programs urging friends, families and neighbors to identify people targeted for recruitment.

Oh goody, the Stasi but for Muslims.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

Lindsey Graham introduced one this week. It gives the President authorization to declare war anywhere for any amount of time.

As if anyone enforces the War Powers Law anymore.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Obama taking all guns, white ppl genocide?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
So does ISIL have an app like Uber or AirBNB?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Every time I hear the word "homeland" I am like gently caress, we lost 9/11.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Samurai Sanders posted:

Every time I hear the word "homeland" I am like gently caress, we lost 9/11.

Sounds like someone has forgotten.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

What happened to that bill.

They're probably sitting on it to see if a Republican gets the white house next

euphronius posted:

I can't stress this enough congress refused to give Obama an Aumf for Isis!!

Doesn't fit the narrative of Obama actively restraining our bold congressmen from doing what needs doing, so you're going to have to remind people of this over and over and over and over

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Patriot Act Ver. 2.0 is imminent.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh goody, the Stasi but for Muslims. America

FTFY

This little guy is the mascot for the See Something Say Something program, and is actively used in stickers and things all over transit systems today. Isn't he cute!?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

quote:

The death toll from jihadist terrorism on American soil since the Sept. 11 attacks — 45 people — is about the same as the 48 killed in terrorist attacks motivated by white supremacist and other right-wing extremist ideologies, according to New America, a research organization in Washington.

The Great Satan maintains a slight lead, but can they hang on going into the playoffs?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

FTFY

This little guy is the mascot for the See Something Say Something program, and is actively used in stickers and things all over transit systems today. Isn't he cute!?

It's like the mascots for the London Olympics all over again. Why does anyone think giant eyeballs are reassuring to people?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Can't wait for that sort of program to become a de facto warrant to harass Muslims while some hillbilly on the west side of town of my college campus continues being radicalized by untracked white supremacist groups, then snaps and shoots up a bunch of people because he saw a hijab.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Alien Arcana posted:

It's like the mascots for the London Olympics all over again. Why does anyone think giant eyeballs are reassuring to people?

I just had to post that because I still occasionally see stickers of that mascot whenever I'm using public transit and can never help but think that it's literally a mash-up of Spy versus Spy with the cover of 1984, but made extra adorable (and always watching). :tinfoil:

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I just had to post that because I still occasionally see stickers of that mascot whenever I'm using public transit and can never help but think that it's literally a mash-up of Spy versus Spy with the cover of 1984, but made extra adorable (and always watching). :tinfoil:

Alternatively,

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Epic High Five posted:

Can't wait for that sort of program to become a de facto warrant to harass Muslims while some hillbilly on the west side of town of my college campus continues being radicalized by untracked white supremacist groups, then snaps and shoots up a bunch of people because he saw a hijab.

Some dude here on Long Island got arrested with a ridiculous amount of weaponry, including seven guns, 8300 rounds of ammo, a fake Federal Air Marshal's ID, and a fake DHS parking placard..

But he's white, so guess how worried people are about what he was up to?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Giant eyes don't bother me much.

After all my friend Iris was a pupil

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

QuoProQuid posted:

Given the carte blanche that is the 2001 AUMF, is there any reason he would actually want a new AUMF? I understand that Congress has been trying to write a new authorization for some time, but there's little agreement about what restrictions that would entail.

The GOP doesn't want to change anything because they want the ability to put lots of troops in the middle east without congress if they win the presidency. And if they don't they get to kick and scream about illegal wars by Clinton and Obama.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Niton posted:

Some dude here on Long Island got arrested with a ridiculous amount of weaponry, including seven guns, 8300 rounds of ammo, a fake Federal Air Marshal's ID, and a fake DHS parking placard..

The fake Air Marshal ID is pretty chilling to me.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Yeah. That really looks like a normal (for the US) gun hobbyist collection, minus the body armor. The fake badges and such are pretty worrying though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Niton posted:

We also already actually had somebody snap at just the sight of a hijab and beat the poo poo out of a Muslim lady in front of her 9 year old daughter. He tried to strangle her to death while screaming WHITE POWER and KILL THEM ALL over and over.

He's facing basic battery charges because Indiana has no hate crime laws of any type (up until recently the Klan would just sort things out in most of the state). He bit a policeman in the lockup too apparently, and blew almost 0.20. Thankfully this is a hippie liberal college town so it didn't get swept under the rug like it would've been in any other southern Indiana town

So yeah, it's pretty annoying to me when people INSIST that I'm in immediate danger from ISIS attacks. Why would they even bother attacking us? We attack ourselves on their behalf.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder, if someone goes into a gun shop and says give me three rifles, four shotguns and two handguns, are they any more likely to be looked at by the FBI or whoever than if they go to nine different gun shops and buy one each?

I would think the latter is more suspicious, since it seems like they're trying to buy them discreetly instead of discretely.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

An important few paragraphs from the nyt
"
The death toll from jihadist terrorism on American soil since the Sept. 11 attacks — 45 people — is about the same as the 48 killed in terrorist attacks motivated by white supremacist and other right-wing extremist ideologies, according to New America, a research organization in Washington.

And both tolls are tiny compared with the tally of conventional murders, more than 200,000 over the same period. But the disproportionate focus they draw in the news media and their effect on public fear demand the attention of any administration."

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
islamic terrorism is to terrorism as airplane crashes are to transportation deaths - a bad analogy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Logikv9 posted:

islamic terrorism is to terrorism as airplane crashes are to transportation deaths - a bad analogy

That's not an analogy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

IU students protest Governer Assface's blocking of already approved Syrian refugee families

Not normally news, but I found it particularly funny because just a few streets down from where this was going on, a bunch of dudes dressed up as strange devil men were terrifying children and whipping people with reeds in what is becoming a beloved yearly tradition

Paganism won in the end and life is all the better for it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

J33uk posted:

My fellow Americans, tonight I want to tell you that ISIS have indeed put on Kobe Bryant's jersey, yet much like him will soon be retired.

Isis has a much better shooting percentage tho.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LGD posted:

Consider the possibility that getting people to stop justifying mass murder because doing so is ideologically convenient is the point.

consider that you're loving illiterate and that that's why you can't see all the people telling you that nobody is justifying it you goddamn retard

discussing what lead to a tragedy is not justifying that tragedy, it's figuring out what happened so that maybe there's something we can change to try to stop another one from happening. in no way does this put the blame on victims.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vertical Lime posted:

It was just announced Obama's making an Oval Office speech tomorrow at 8.

drat, i wonder what its gonna be?
I assume its either war on ISIS or new surveillance poo poo. more likly it will just be "now is the time we as Americans come together" stuff.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 6, 2015

• Locked thread