Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ulthar posted:

My dad shared this gingerbread house on facebook today and I thought of all you guys.

im gonna make a brutalist gingerbread house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

wayfinder posted:

Is it a deliberate act of disrespect that the h in his name keeps jumping around in your posts but never lands where it should?

No. I just keep forgetting how to spell his name.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

i actually sort of like this

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Chinatown posted:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Ulthar posted:

My dad shared this gingerbread house on facebook today and I thought of all you guys.

Show him how to make a meat house next.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ulthar posted:

There's no cookie in the world that can do what you're asking it to!

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Here's some inspiration

[edit: might as well just link the picture]]

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Tochiazuma posted:

Here's some inspiration

This is good and cool.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

This showed up in the failed tech thread.

Zopotantor posted:

BEST had some architecturally ...interesting... showrooms designed by SITE.
BEST Products Company Buildings

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bogan Krkic posted:

I think he's disagreeing on what the fundamental purpose of an architect is

he's wrong.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 6, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ulthar posted:

One of the better levels in Hitman: Blood Money

Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House was also used in that game, for the rehab clinic in the mission Flatline.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Behold the AT&T Building in Worcester MA - a corporate office on Main St in downtown Worcester built in 1975 with no windows...Must be very uplifting to work here.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 6, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Behold the AT&T Building in Worcester MA - a corporate office on Main St in downtown Worcester built in 1975 with no windows...Must be very uplifting to work here.

Sometimes buildings serving a particular function look like fortresses because they were, in fact, built like fortresses for a reason. I don't know if that was the case here but it doesn't seem too unlikely.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sometimes buildings serving a particular function look like fortresses because they were, in fact, built like fortresses for a reason. I don't know if that was the case here but it doesn't seem too unlikely.

It's always been a telecom building since it's creation. It was originally built for New England Telephone Co and then transferred to NYNEX. After NYNEX it was purchased by AT&T. Though I will say there are a lot of rumors of there being CIA offices inside.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

It's always been a telecom building since it's creation.

Exactly.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

That's UMIST and i'll have my £5 thanks

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The Basilica of St. Vader lookin' good.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

-Zydeco- posted:

This showed up in the failed tech thread.

Okay, a lot of those are cool as hell. I wish more companies tried to turn box stores into something fun and interesting.

That said, I wonder how many smacked their head into the brickwork on this one:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Tsaedje posted:

That's UMIST and i'll have my £5 thanks

UTDallas bubba

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

It serves it's purpose very well actually. That place isn't filled with many offices. There are quite a few like that shattered across the US. Several that have excess space now rent out secure server space as well.

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 6, 2015

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
anyone posted the Salk Institute yet? Its perhaps the best example of Brutalism. And, thus, it owns very hard.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The Salk institute is the exception to the rule about brutalism being better with lots of greenery. Kahn wanted to put trees in that space but luckily Luis Barragan talked him out of it.

Anyway, Abitare's fb/instagram is hitting it out of the park this weekend.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Paddyb posted:

The Salk institute is the exception to the rule about brutalism being better with lots of greenery. Kahn wanted to put trees in that space but luckily Luis Barragan talked him out of it.

Anyway, Abitare's fb/instagram is hitting it out of the park this weekend.

Not shown : The chute your body travels down to be turned into biomass after they unplug you from the matrix.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Any connection to the guy who made Polio vaccine?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Yes, those are offices for researchers on the courtyard and the labs are behind them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

It's always been a telecom building since it's creation. It was originally built for New England Telephone Co and then transferred to NYNEX. After NYNEX it was purchased by AT&T. Though I will say there are a lot of rumors of there being CIA offices inside.

Nope those floors were almost entirely switch banks. Chicago ATT building has the same thing for the first 5 or stories. Of course, only a fraction of that would be used for line switching now, but if they're smart it's been converted to data center space to either serve their enterprise network, or to lease out for additional revenue.

Either copper switch banks or modern data center, that building is perfect for those purposes.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

xlevus posted:

Probably something along the lines of being unfit for purpose. Could you imagine living in a house shaped like a pizza slice? You'd have wasted space everywhere.

Steen Hall, Stephen F. Austin University, Nacogdoches, TX. Here's the room designer flash app on the school website; note that the available furniture doesn't actually all fit in the room, and the angles you can rotate the furniture to don't line up with the walls.

Edit: I made it mostly fit.

I'm not sure if the one chest will open, and you'd probably have to climb over the other one to get to the desks.

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I may or may not know of a secret government installation in one of those.

(It's just the county's disaster-response control center; they outgrew the bunker under the old city hall/fire station, so they rented a floor in the AT&T building.)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 7, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chinatown posted:

anyone posted the Salk Institute yet? Its perhaps the best example of Brutalism. And, thus, it owns very hard.

Brutalism is where the difference is usually greatest between the artistically positioned photos and the actual reality, though.

Solstice
Mar 12, 2002

Non-violent for the entire family!

Chinatown posted:

This is amazing but a brief google image search leads me to believe almost no one has actually ever been here.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Solstice posted:

This is amazing but a brief google image search leads me to believe almost no one has actually ever been here.

I went on a tour there about 8 years ago, it was pretty awesome. I wonder if I still have the pictures kicking around somewhere.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Solstice posted:

its extremely cool in person. kinda weird, but therein lies the coolness

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The way it terminates in the sea and sky gives the impression that it's somewhere high up. At first I thought it was on a roof. The Registan in Samarkand has a similar effect and it's really cool.

Just nothing in the background.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Elukka posted:

The way it terminates in the sea and sky gives the impression that it's somewhere high up. At first I thought it was on a roof.

its on a cliff so ya it is basically

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tochiazuma posted:

Here's some inspiration

sko buffs

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Now you can own your very own Brutalist Building in cardboard...

http://www.zupagrafika.com/zupamarket_en.html

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Tochiazuma posted:

Here's some inspiration

Colours? On a brutalist house? If I saw that irl I'd knock it over like Corbusier Kong

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Maleh-Vor posted:

Neoclassicism is the ketchup of architecture.

What do you suppose the sriracha of architecture is?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Suspect Bucket posted:

What do you suppose the sriracha of architecture is?

Brutalism. It's good in certain scenarios but goons love it and want everything to have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Maleh-Vor posted:

Neoclassicism is the ketchup of architecture.

• Locked thread