Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Probably they don't want to have a situation where you launch a little ship from a big ship and FSD out. I wonder if you can dock at a station with a fighter. It would be funny to buy a bunch of ships and leave them floating in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

TomR posted:

I wonder if you can dock at a station with a fighter.

I was hoping to be able to do this with a smaller ship docked in my anaconda. It would be great if large ships could have a way to dock with outposts, instead of being poo poo-out-of luck for some nonsensical reason. Players with large ships would have their options expanded, but things would remain balanced as they would still be inconvenienced, because it would eat up extra time ferrying back and forth between their ship and an outpost (especially if selling/buying a lot of goods), and their ship would be more vulnerable to attack floating outside the station while they're gone, which would keep the advantage of using a small or medium ship for outposts if you value the extra speed and safety. If we can't carry a sidewinder, i hope they at least give us a new tiny-sized ship that's focused on cargo (and passengers when we finally get that). Something the size of an imperial fighter or condor, but instead of guns, armor, and a beefy power distributor and whatnot taking up space, the inside is mostly cargo space with maybe a 10 or 20 ton capacity.

Cathair posted:

For real though, I can't figure out what's wrong with the example given- a buggy inside a Sidewinder inside an Anaconda. If there were a couple more layers, sure, but that level of nesting alone is just fine in terms of being manageable to the player. A full-featured landing craft for players who want to be able to fly a larger ship while still being able to get around on a planet is nothing but a good idea, something that other games would do if they could and would put on their features list as a selling point.

Maybe they think their engine can't handle it or something, I dunno. There's no good design reason why not.

Yeah, unless it's an engine limitation I don't see why it shouldn't be possible. Of course it will be fun flying around in a condor or imperial fighter, i was just hoping to be able to carry something slightly more versatile/substantial, like a sidewinder or eagle.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

TomR posted:

Probably they don't want to have a situation where you launch a little ship from a big ship and FSD out. I wonder if you can dock at a station with a fighter. It would be funny to buy a bunch of ships and leave them floating in space.
It's this I would imagine, the game is a bit weird at times when it comes to handling ships. Like how you can't store a ship with cargo on board or own two of the same ship at a single station.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Luneshot posted:

The fact that you can't pay off a dormant bounty, especially if you got it for a stupid reason like accidentally hitting a cop with a laser in the midst of a firefight, pisses me off to no end.

For low end players who can't afford to fight the cops it basically bans them from the system for a week until it becomes a legacy fine, which becomes rather troublesome when your ship is stored in that system.

I've tried being scanned by a KWS but the dormant bounty doesn't show up, so being killed doesn't even remove it.

Commit an incredibly minor crime in that system, that reactivates the bounty. Then get another player to KWS and kill you in a sidey or something.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

The Clipper has 5 weapons. 2 large, 2 medium, and 1 750 ton kinetic melee weapon. It is one of the best PVP ships in the game, an absolute joy to fly if you know how to fly sideways, and just generally it owns in every way. The distant wing mounted weapons mean it is not so good if the other guy knows how to chaff and fly, but it can generally escape if it can't win, because it's fast as hell. Basically, it's a PVP ship that lets you pick and choose if you want to fight. If you know the odds, it might not always win, but it never loses.

Could you elaborate on this a bit, please? What kind of maneuvers can you do flying sideways? I find lateral thrusters useful just to keep momentum in a certain direction if nothing else, but I don't get a ton of use out of them what with limited yaw and all. I've tried things with my Courier like using laterals to orbit at an angle during a jousting pass, so that it takes me out of the enemy's field of fire faster, but it still doesn't seem to make that much difference.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Should I be tricking out this adder I got the other day, or just rushing for the Cobra Mk III?

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

TomR posted:

Would this be possible, though? You get a loading screen when you transition from Ship to SRV, so I would imagine that it would apply when going from Big Ship to Little Ship. Sounds like it's a technical challenge more than a game-play challenge. Even if it weren't, would the mass of the attacking ship(s) be enough to limit the Little Ship's ability to FSD out quickly?

In unrelated news, someone posted screenshots of cockpit details. Not sure if their quip on the FAS means that all Federal Assault ships have copy+paste cockpits.

http://imgur.com/a/wp9iV

knockout fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 6, 2015

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Dr. Tough posted:

Should I be tricking out this adder I got the other day, or just rushing for the Cobra Mk III?
Both. There's no loss on module sales, so just downgrade everything before you sell it to get the Cobra.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
They are essentially copy/paste.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
A little common sense would indicate that space turducken hugely multiplies the number of player actions and scenarios they'd have to account for in dev and testing across the whole game. The return on investment probably just isn't there. From a dev perspective it's a smart decision to limit scope and spend their resources efficiently.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I don't understand, that's what the logbook is there for: Write your own fiction about what happens to you.

If there is something interesting in the posts itself, post them. There are hundreds of people who write a lot of log entries, me included: I probably have more then that guy, even.

Those look like flight logs..

Are they?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Anyone have any suggestions for "D3D cannot lock a buffer"? Game is getting drat near unplayable because I get this error every 5-60 minutes.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Update drivers and Direct X would be my only suggestion sorry

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Those look like flight logs..

Are they?

No, they're labeled "logbook entries", so definitely not.

Flight logs are a different menu and you're just importing logs from your game for those.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Is there any reason to build reputation with minor factions?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Dr. Tough posted:

Is there any reason to build reputation with minor factions?

They'll give you better missions if you're friendly/allied with them.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

YellerBill posted:

They'll give you better missions if you're friendly/allied with them.

Then the Wolf 918 Gold Bridge Network will be mine

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Dr. Tough posted:

Then the Wolf 918 Gold Bridge Network will be mine

I wish I could rank up with the League of KUI 11 League already :mad:

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
Would the Imperial Eagle service perfectly well until I can get in a Cobra, or should I grab a Viper in the meantime?
I can survive well enough with the former in highres sites as long as I don't do anything really stupid and let the police distract poo poo.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Everyone fox for the "fix" option in this poll: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=207962

Even if you do not know what this is about go vote that way. Trust me.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How is the Fed Assault Ship? got a Vulture atm and it's boring as gently caress but pretty good, looking for something to work up towards but the FDL/Python seem so much further away it's a bit intimidating. I'm starting to make some dollar from the community event to actually get some space bucks, so not sure how long it's gonna take me.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I havent played Elite since summer.

New poo poo's coming out so i need more space money for it

what's the best way to get more space money?

I've got an A spec fer de lance (:smug: i just saw about the new power plant :smug:) and an imperial clipper set up for trading i think.

I tried to play a month or so ago and there was some thing where you travelled really far delivering cargo and made big bucks, is that still a thing?

I was gonna do that but it was taking like a minute or more to do hyperjumps so i lost interest.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 6, 2015

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Space Skeleton posted:

Everyone fox for the "fix" option in this poll: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=207962

Even if you do not know what this is about go vote that way. Trust me.

Things visually popping into existence right next to you after you deploy the SRV is weird and definitely seems like a bug, but I'm fine with them leaving ground stuff off the radar during flight. I was playing with a friend last night, him in his SRV and me in my ship, and we were tag teaming POIs: I'd fly around and find a purple circle, he'd come over while I visually scanned for the wreckage, and once he got close, skimmers/whatever spawned and I killed them so he could grab the loot.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 6, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

hakimashou posted:

I havent played Elite since summer.

New poo poo's coming out so i need more space money for it

what's the best way to get more space money?

I've got an A spec fer de lance (:smug: i just saw about the new power plant :smug:) and an imperial clipper set up for trading i think.

I tried to play a month or so ago and there was some thing where you travelled really far delivering cargo and made big bucks, is that still a thing?

I was gonna do that but it was taking like a minute or more to do hyperjumps so i lost interest.

There is a similar thing (Robigo system) except it's much slower than Sothis, because instead of taking 5-10 smuggling missions worth like $2-8M each, you take a bunch of trading and smuggling missions with generally lower payouts that require more cargo space. It's not fun at all IMO.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Price shot back up from $15 sale priced to $45- If Horizons comes out next week, I assume that'd be another ~$30+?

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

How is the Fed Assault Ship? got a Vulture atm and it's boring as gently caress but pretty good, looking for something to work up towards but the FDL/Python seem so much further away it's a bit intimidating. I'm starting to make some dollar from the community event to actually get some space bucks, so not sure how long it's gonna take me.

It was said earlier in the thread, but the Fed Assault Ship is a straight upgrade to the Vulture in every way but shields. It's tough enough that weak shields barely matter, though.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah the FAS is a lot of fun, I'm trying one for the first time in the beta. It's pretty fast and has tons of power and wrecks stuff!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Shine posted:

There is a similar thing (Robigo system) except it's much slower than Sothis, because instead of taking 5-10 smuggling missions worth like $2-8M each, you take a bunch of trading and smuggling missions with generally lower payouts that require more cargo space. It's not fun at all IMO.

Robigo still works...as long as you have allied with the factions there, which is very easy with donations. Helps to be a Tycoon trader though (which kind of defeats the point), and you still need to use the log out & switch mode trick to refresh missions. Having private groups to cycle between helps too.

Has made me enough money for a Cutter anyway, and am 75% of the way to Elite trade rank.

Flipswitch posted:

It is very, very good, if you can work around lovely shields. Weird hardpoint placement too, but nothing terribly bad, just have to get used to a class 3 on the bottom.

And much less boring than the vulture - you have 2 extra medium slots to put interesting things in.

And *way* more power to play with - this is a boring A-grade combat loadout (lose the armour for a slightly saner price):

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/26A6A5A5D6A4D4C1e1e2727000404044a5j2b59276b.Iw18cQ==.Aw18cQ==

That doesn't even hit 100% with everything running, it's just asking for rails or plasmas.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I turned in 20 pages of exploration data but forgot to sign up for the community goal first :suicide:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Eyud posted:

Things visually popping into existence right next to you after you deploy the SRV is weird and definitely seems like a bug, but I'm fine with them leaving ground stuff off the radar during flight. I was playing with a friend last night, him in his SRV and me in my ship, and we were tag teaming POIs: I'd fly around and find a purple circle, he'd come over while I visually scanned for the wreckage, and once he got close, skimmers/whatever spawned and I killed them so he could grab the loot.

That's just it though, the wreckage was spawning for the srv, not you. If you were by yourself the purple / blue circle just stays a purple circle, no skimmers, no structures, no items, nothing. It's so inconsistent compared to the rest of the game and Frontier's insistence on keeping solo/open similar in every other way that for them to say, now, 'oh BTW screw solo players' while a sizeable part of the community has been howling for players in solo to not affect others that play in open in regards to influence and the bgs is confusing as all heck.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I turned in 20 pages of exploration data but forgot to sign up for the community goal first :suicide:

poo poo dude, that loving blows hahahaha.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

OhDearGodNo posted:

Price shot back up from $15 sale priced to $45- If Horizons comes out next week, I assume that'd be another ~$30+?

Unless those prices aren't in USD, Horizons is $60.

Though if you buy it on Frontier's site (and possibly when it goes live on steam) you get a discount for owning the first game.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Today I learned you lose unclaimed bounties when your ship gets blown up

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

tofes posted:

Today I learned you lose unclaimed bounties when your ship gets blown up

This is only an issue early. Once you aren't flying a Sidewinder or an Eagle made of tissue paper you should basically never die unless you were being reckless or not paying attention.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Submit a customer service ticket. They are surprisingly chill about that sort of stuff.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

xiansi posted:

Robigo still works...as long as you have allied with the factions there, which is very easy with donations. Helps to be a Tycoon trader though (which kind of defeats the point), and you still need to use the log out & switch mode trick to refresh missions. Having private groups to cycle between helps too.

Has made me enough money for a Cutter anyway, and am 75% of the way to Elite trade rank.

It is very, very good, if you can work around lovely shields. Weird hardpoint placement too, but nothing terribly bad, just have to get used to a class 3 on the bottom.

And much less boring than the vulture - you have 2 extra medium slots to put interesting things in.

And *way* more power to play with - this is a boring A-grade combat loadout (lose the armour for a slightly saner price):

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/26A6A5A5D6A4D4C1e1e2727000404044a5j2b59276b.Iw18cQ==.Aw18cQ==

That doesn't even hit 100% with everything running, it's just asking for rails or plasmas.

Do not use multis on the FAS. They are bugged and won't fire. I'd personally recommend fixed guns on the medium hardpoints because their firing arcs are poo poo and will just end up annoying you most of the time.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Run gimballed medium cannons on the FAS. It owns and is good.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

xiansi posted:

I don't know, effectively doubling my net worth and going from 25% Tycoon to Elite in about a week was extremely my poo poo.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Paramemetic posted:

Run gimballed medium cannons on the FAS. It owns and is good.

I'm going to try this even though it runs counter to everything I know about both the FAS and cannons.

If it sucks I'm blaming you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

Basking in the summer sun, I greeted the seabirds.
But then... I entered the demon's den.

• Locked thread