Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Sooo, got a call today to let me know that a ktm 690 smc had popped up at a bike store I frequent, and they knew I've been looking for one. It's a 2008 model, aside from the usual, anything specific I should be looking for a danger signs? These bikes are super rare to pop up for sale in a reasonable distance for me so if it's in decent condition I'm going to jump on it. They're bringing it to their shop for me tomorrow to look at/test rode tomorrow before work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You really want it in stock trim / exhaust / air box / fueling - check the dial under the seat to see what mode it's in.

This is for a duke but a similar thing is under the seat on the SMC:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBKbJm6NZc

You'll want to have the valves checked, it shouldn't burn any oil, if it does that's probably ok but you need to keep an eye on it. Valve arms are also worth keeping an eye on for wear/bearing failure.

Otherwise the bike should be very reliable.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Any of y'all know of a tank that will mount on an 83 GS 750 that doesn't have indents for fairings. Like a naked version.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Z3n posted:

You really want it in stock trim / exhaust / air box / fueling - check the dial under the seat to see what mode it's in.

This is for a duke but a similar thing is under the seat on the SMC:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBKbJm6NZc

You'll want to have the valves checked, it shouldn't burn any oil, if it does that's probably ok but you need to keep an eye on it. Valve arms are also worth keeping an eye on for wear/bearing failure.

Otherwise the bike should be very reliable.

Modes? As someone who doesn't...doesn't do that, what is this black magic?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChewedFood posted:

Any of y'all know of a tank that will mount on an 83 GS 750 that doesn't have indents for fairings. Like a naked version.

The tank from a GS750E. The 750ES had the fairing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verge posted:

When did you sprout that AV??

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Slavvy posted:

When did you sprout that AV??

Like, an hour ago. I put it there myself, it's my bike. I felt I might as well own my rep as a dumbass.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good stuff! Let this be a lesson to you about showing off on the internet or something I dunno

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Good stuff! Let this be a lesson to you about showing off on the internet or something I dunno

Haha, thanks I guess. Speaking of which, did you get your avatar from someone else?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verge posted:

Haha, thanks I guess. Speaking of which, did you get your avatar from someone else?

He spoke and his words fell upon the waves and lo his avatar sprang therefrom fully formed.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

So that is a hilariously fun bike, great nic, I'm getting it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Verge posted:

Like, an hour ago. I put it there myself, it's my bike. I felt I might as well own my rep as a dumbass.

I ride a motorcycle so that I don't have to care about the safety of others.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Verge posted:

Ignition maps - they change the aggressiveness of the tuning for bad gas, normal riding, and race mode. Off-road guys use it to change up bike performance based on the terrain they're in.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

There's a switch under the seat - we actually used it on the test ride to tame the throttle a little as it was super choppy (bike has a power commander + tune, so I got used to it, but it's a bit choppier than I'm used to from my ZX10R).

I couldn't stop grinning the entire test ride, bike is amazing. Tips in so easy and comfortably. Throttle seems like it's only happy if you're on it, but I can deal with that. Will probably pick up the bike next week as long as finance is all fine.

There's a little oil leak that I noticed on the left side, I don't think it's anything major, but they're going to check it out for me first.

e: sorry, murdered tables.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

He spoke and his words fell upon the waves and lo his avatar sprang therefrom fully formed.

Pretty much this (the waves of shitposting).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It shouldn't need a tune with the stock exhaust. That snatchyness is primarily because KTM uses an incredible aggressive cam on the throttle body, so a little throttle rotation means a lot of gas. A g2 throttle tamer helps significantly, or you'll just adjust to it in time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Slip that clutch.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, once we'd turned it down it was far nicer and I was getting used to it pretty quickly, I'll probably just leave it. Still can't believe how fun it was even just cruising around the backstreets of Brisbane.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Ozmiander posted:

The tank from a GS750E. The 750ES had the fairing.

That's much simpler than I thought. Thanks!

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I've got a 1981 CM400A. I went out to test my new custom-built storage system today (a milk crate ziptied to the cargo rack) and when I went to leave the store, I pressed the starter button - got a split second of movement, then nothing. Presses after that did nothing at all. I kickstarted it to ride home, and after bringing everything in I tried the starter a few more times to no avail, until all the lights went out. They flashed back on for a moment as the key went from Run to Off, and when I tried again later the lights worked fine but the starter still did absolutely nothing.

What's wrong with my bike?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ChewedFood posted:

That's much simpler than I thought. Thanks!

I have an 86 GSX750ES, same as the 83-85 US GSes. While it has fairing, there are no dimples at the front of the tank, the fairing is supported by the frame. There are dimples at the rear but they are for the plastic side panels. Perhaps the older ones are different, parts fiche on a shop like cmsnl.com or bikebandit.com will help you clarify.

N is for Nipples posted:

What's wrong with my bike?

Most likely: Bad battery
2nd most likely Bad starter relay
3rd most likely: Bad starter

Easiest fix to diagnose: Bad battery

Cheapest and simplest thing to replace: Battery

Most valuable tool in diagnosis: Multimeter

Most useful battery parameters to measure: High 12s volts resting charge, no lower than 11s cranking charge, 13-14 charge at higher than 4000 rpm.

Most sports-stats-like post in a motorcycle forum: This one

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm finally getting a bike after having my license for three years, and my only experience has been riding a 400cc Yamaha Majesty around Hawaii for a few days (which is actually a pretty fun scooter). I was pretty set on getting a SV650 as a first bike (I'm 6'3" and 220lbs), but my buddy is willing to sell me his 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 for $1500. Horrible idea for a first bike? That's a crazy deal compared to what SV650s go for.

*edit*
I'd eventually use it to commute around 30 miles in LA traffic, so I'm thinking the riding position on the Daytona may not be ideal either. Besides the other draw backs of twitchier handling, etc.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 5, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Ooh, another mootmoot??

No, don't get the Daytona. It's a sportbike set up for peaky power and twitchy track-oriented handling. It's not a good thing to learn to ride on. The SV650 will be plenty powerful and far more forgiving of the riding errors you will make.

I would also generally say that the SV is better as a second bike, if you seriously have no experience other than a few days of scooter riding, but the rest of CA can argue those points for you. I recommend smaller bikes than some people would.

Finally, I imagine there's something seriously wrong with the Daytona for that price; in good condition, the bike is worth about 4 times as much. If it's in good shape, you must be sleeping with the guy for him to let it go that low.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The Daytona is a better street bike than most sportbikes, but still probably not a great choice for a new rider. For the price, though, it's a screaming deal so you may as well buy it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

He did have to replace the front fork and various parts when he gave it too much power and it flipped over, but it's been on the road for a while since then. He hasn't used the bike in a year so I'd have to bring it to a shop and get it checked out / fluids changed, but it's that price because it's a good friend and he isn't using it. I told him it's worth way more than that, so I'd probably pick up his bar tab for a year if I bought it that cheap.

I think I'll have to go with a different bike, it's just such a good deal that I hate to let it go. I can always sell the SV650 in a year or two and see if he still has the bike, I just liked the idea of paying under half what a good condition SV650 costs. I was telling myself maybe it wasn't too sporty, but reading reviews has me thinking it's probably not going to work.

Z3n posted:

The Daytona is a better street bike than most sportbikes, but still probably not a great choice for a new rider. For the price, though, it's a screaming deal so you may as well buy it.

I was thinking of buying both, but I don't think my wife will go for that. Maybe I can get him riding it again so he doesn't want to sell it, then buy it later.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

He did have to replace the front fork and various parts when he gave it too much power and it flipped over,

Run the gently caress away. If that's what he's admitting to, there'll be thousands more things he's done to it, and the Daytona frame isn't the sturdiest to start with.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, "gave it too much power and it flipped over" is not really something that happens to a conscientious rider. No offense (well, not much) to your friend.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Guys guys it could happen to anyone

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Run the gently caress away. If that's what he's admitting to, there'll be thousands more things he's done to it, and the Daytona frame isn't the sturdiest to start with.

Yep, rule 4 of buying a bike

4: If it's been crashed walk away.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Yep, rule 4 of buying a bike

4: If it's been crashed walk away.
Unless it's a trackbike :v:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Ugh god I'm just trying to find out what size brake pads / oil filter will fit my Striple but all the goddamn Triumph forums are flaming landfills of humanity. Is there some technical site I could just check?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

Ugh god I'm just trying to find out what size brake pads / oil filter will fit my Striple but all the goddamn Triumph forums are flaming landfills of humanity. Is there some technical site I could just check?

What year? I've got the owners manual for a 2013

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
2015, I've got the manual but nothing is listed in the specification or maintenance procedure sections.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

-Inu- posted:

Unless it's a trackbike :v:

Or dirtbike :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Springfield Fatts posted:

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/triumph/street_triple/15/

Just get the part numbers from there. Any decent online retailer will have a similar search...

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Got it, thanks for the link.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm finally getting a bike after having my license for three years, and my only experience has been riding a 400cc Yamaha Majesty around Hawaii for a few days (which is actually a pretty fun scooter). I was pretty set on getting a SV650 as a first bike (I'm 6'3" and 220lbs), but my buddy is willing to sell me his 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 for $1500. Horrible idea for a first bike? That's a crazy deal compared to what SV650s go for.

*edit*
I'd eventually use it to commute around 30 miles in LA traffic, so I'm thinking the riding position on the Daytona may not be ideal either. Besides the other draw backs of twitchier handling, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qepDZAaNlns Daytona 675.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I never noticed before how hilariously squared-off the rear tyre is on the bike in that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I never noticed before how hilariously squared-off the rear tyre is on the bike in that video.

Have you looked at the average 600/750/1kcc sportbike tire parked in front of the coffee shop?