Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Humanist + offering Dhimmis everything seems like a really really good approach tbh. No revolts from lack of religious unity anymore, idea cost AND tech cost discounts? Uhhh alright :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Why am I constantly getting Catholic Zealots popping up in one of my colonial nation's provinces (Belem, in Brazil) even though that province has been Protestant since the time I colonized it? It's happened three times now.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
Unless you're swarmed with religious minorities dhimmis win out over conversion, I think. If you have positive heathen tolerance like the Ottomans it's literally free money and MP, you're only limited by their Influence.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Okay Prester John got a lot easier when I conquered all of Zanzibar and set my port there, colonized Cape and sent a massive trade fleet to the Indus node and swam in money forever.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Eej posted:

Okay Prester John got a lot easier when I conquered all of Zanzibar and set my port there, colonized Cape and sent a massive trade fleet to the Indus node and swam in money forever.

"You want Constantinople, rear end in a top hat? You and what army?"

*four hundred thousand mercenaries crest the ridge*

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

The change to the trade goods mapmode, so that it cross shades provinces where that trade good can appear, is brilliant... but it should only show on as-yet-uncolonised provinces, surely? Literally all of Western Europe and as far north as Stockholm is cross shaded when you click grain, despite already having trade goods, so it's not going to change (without an event anyway). Makes it a pain to look at :(

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Allyn posted:

Humanist + offering Dhimmis everything seems like a really really good approach tbh. No revolts from lack of religious unity anymore, idea cost AND tech cost discounts? Uhhh alright :)

Do they disappear if you're Western tech or do you get to keep them? Sounds pretty powerful if you can be Western and still get all those bonuses.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Do they disappear if you're Western tech or do you get to keep them? Sounds pretty powerful if you can be Western and still get all those bonuses.

Just checked and yes, they do disappear after westernising... so I guess you can convert it all over then.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

That's always a valid strategy, but it's really nice being able to effectively jump up a tech group as a Muslim country. Dhimmi provinces also get -2 unrest if they have 60+ loyalty.

Do dhimmi provinces not get the malus for low tolerance/wrong religion or does the bonus to tolerance from dhimmi get you positive?

EDIT: Also makes religious ideas feel like a waste. Guess I can just get Deus Vult and refund it later on

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 6, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Do dhimmi provinces not get the malus for low tolerance/wrong religion or does the bonus to tolerance from dhimmi get you positive?

EDIT: Also makes religious ideas feel like a waste. Guess I can just get Deus Vult and refund it later on

They do still have RR from low tolerance, but 0.5/1/1.5/2 tolerance of heathens (going up per 20 influence, with 0.5 at 0, so max of 2, and only when over 60 loyalty) probably isn't enough on its own. I still think you'll need humanist though, except maaaybe the Ottomans.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

I'm going for Kingdom of Jerusalem as the Knights. I allied Qara and they called me to war when one of their vassals declared independence. In the mean time Ottomans decided to declare conquest on that vassal, they fully annexed them. We have 100% war score on the one guy left but Qara refuses to end this drat war. Call for Peace is loving my poo poo up and I cant even seperate peace because the last guy left in the war is a vassal. Am I just hosed? Reloading didnt help.

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 6, 2015

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Was the "Paused" banner always on a higher layer than all the interface tool-tips?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

anti_strunt posted:

Was the "Paused" banner always on a higher layer than all the interface tool-tips?

No it was added in the latest patch.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

No, because the Emperor can only demand unlawful territory if you hold an HRE province without having a core on it. Diplo-annexation gives you free cores on all the provinces you just annexed.

But they still get pissed off at you annexing an HRE member.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Poil posted:

No it was added in the latest patch.

Really? That's a weird change. Is it editable?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Anybody else have this issue with water in game?

Zoomed in:

Zoomed out:

In motion it looks even worse because it flickers as I zoom in/out. I played around with the graphics settings as well as my driver settings but nothing fixes it. Map/water graphics mods don't change it either.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Too Poetic posted:

I'm going for Kingdom of Jerusalem as the Knights. I allied Qara and they called me to war when one of their vassals declared independence. In the mean time Ottomans decided to declare conquest on that vassal, they fully annexed them. We have 100% war score on the one guy left but Qara refuses to end this drat war. Call for Peace is loving my poo poo up and I cant even seperate peace because the last guy left in the war is a vassal. Am I just hosed? Reloading didnt help.
It fixed itself when Qara got destroyed by its own rebels.

Side note: I just saw France and Castile in an Alliance and threw up in my mouth.

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 6, 2015

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any tips for a first idea group for Byzantium? Allied to Poland, took Naxos, Negroponte, Rhodes and Friuli from Venice. Should I go humanism or religious to take Ottoland? Or maybe a diplo idea first? Are all naval ideas crap?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Sistergodiva posted:

Any tips for a first idea group for Byzantium? Allied to Poland, took Naxos, Negroponte, Rhodes and Friuli from Venice. Should I go humanism or religious to take Ottoland? Or maybe a diplo idea first? Are all naval ideas crap?

I like religious for the free and powerful cb on almost every nation on the planet.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Palleon posted:

I like religious for the free and powerful cb on almost every nation on the planet.

Would it be worth it to get ideas to be able to turn into a republic or theocracy?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
How are you supposed to win the 100 years war as France? I managed to time it perfectly so that Austria couldn't join in, but it still seems like every Portuguese and English army I smash is just replaced a few months later.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ghetto Prince posted:

How are you supposed to win the 100 years war as France? I managed to time it perfectly so that Austria couldn't join in, but it still seems like every Portuguese and English army I smash is just replaced a few months later.

They'll eventually stop sending them.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

What's the best process for colonization if you aren't one of the Iberian countries? I'm playing Holland and want to see if I can dual task becoming the Emperor/colonizing the Random New World.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
So I posted earlier here about having problems with my Colonies and Vassals relative power not making any sense. It seemed way too high and was jumping up and down from 20% to 70% and back all of a sudden.
I think I finally figured this out. I was having the same issue in my current game, with my tiny vassal having 70% of my relative power and 100% liberty desire, despite my army supply being over 400.

It probably also factors in the power of any countries supporting independence. Both Ottomans and Ming supported independence for my vassal, and if you factor in their armies the numbers start making sense. The jumping up and down would be from different countries backing/unbacking their support for independence.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to show this in the tooltip in some way? It just says "All vassals' relative power", which is not very helpful.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gyre posted:

What's the best process for colonization if you aren't one of the Iberian countries? I'm playing Holland and want to see if I can dual task becoming the Emperor/colonizing the Random New World.

I'm doing my first Holland game right now and I'm a colonizing fiend... decided to prioritize Africa (I have all the colonizable provinces there, I guess Portugal's AI decided Africa wasn't a priority) and the East Indies. I do have a pretty big Dutch Brazil though too.

I started with taking Exploration ideas, then a non-colonizing one (Defense), and then Expansion, then Trade. It's 1600 and I'm rolling in cash with 3 colonists running at any given time (and the income to sustain 4-5 simultaneous colonies if I want to).

Only real downside is that my army is teeny-tiny, and I still haven't been able to form Netherlands yet (gently caress you Friesland and your giant web of alliances). Massive Trier keeps DoW'ing me every ten years to cleanse my heresy though and even though I won the first war by spamming mercs and taking a bunch of loans, this most current one is looking really dodgy.

So close to the Je Maintaindrai achievement and yet so far :sigh:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Gyre posted:

If you're not in Iberia and in no real position to jump from Iceland or whatever, you can hold off on exploration easily until your third or so idea group because chances are you'll have poo poo-all for colonial range until the equivalent diplotech. With Random New World you might have something more easily coloniseable, but you might also have poo poo-all in the north making it even harder to get colonial range for the new world, so just keep that in mind, RNW if you're not Iberia is a real hit-or-miss on whether you'll have anything reasonably close to you.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

I'm doing my first ever Ironman game! After the early game I ended up between Super-Ottomans, Russia and Ming who were #1, #2 and #3 in army size respectively. After expanding down towards India to build my strength I just managed to win a war against Russia, but I've been too weak to challenge the Ottomans all game. I've just barely held them off when they attacked, the problem got even worse when they allied Ming.

I think this might be my shot though! Ming is having rebel problems and the Ottomans just started a war with Portugal and France.
Let's see how this turns out....

Alright! Finally finished this game. Opponents status: stomped into the ground. A+++ would Iron Man again.

This was the map at the end. Sind, Orissa and Iraq are my vassals:

I decided against immediately taking on the Ottomans, and went after Ming first to cripple them, which worked out in the end.
Finally managed to nab Constantinople in November 1820, which had been my goal for a while.

Overall Nogai was a fun nation to play, the horde stuff is really satisfying in the beginning, and the gameplay changes when you reform the government. I reformed around 1550, but never westernized as I could keep up in tech anyway.
I was thinking of sticking to the horde stuff instead of reforming, but I wonder how long you can stay competitive just expanding and razing.

For Ideas I went Innovative -> Influence -> Defensive -> Humanist -> Quantity -> Expansion -> Offensive, which worked out fine. I never really felt like i needed Admin since I had enough adm points to core everything pretty much for the whole game. I only sorta ran out around 1780 when I started conquering everything. Probably should have gotten Quantity before Defensive now that I think about it. Expansion that late was also sort of a vanity choice as I wanted to fill in the holes left when I took Russias provinces.

Feel free to point out any mistakes I made, always looking to improve.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I decided to check out the EUIV Reddit for some godforsaken reason, and aside from the usual trash you might find on a Reddit, someone has done a Nogai WC run already using the new raze mechanics.

I'm only mentioning it to illustrate how cool it is that I think hordes can now be competitive if they just don't stop for anything. Razing is a great addition imo.

now that you have done nogai once kukrunkarmaskin, go back and do it again except WC style

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Sistergodiva posted:

Would it be worth it to get ideas to be able to turn into a republic or theocracy?

If you want to be a Republican Byzantium and break the game, someone posted a guide many pages ago about starting as Byzantium, conquering all of Greece, culture-shifting to Greek, then making sure Orthodox is 50% of your country or more then swapping religion and converting to Byzantium. I did it myself, and it's a pretty fun way to go about dominating the rest of the game.

Not sure if much changes with Cossacks but I would assume it would still work: http://m.imgur.com/a/HNNvv

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Influence. Don't take religious or humanist, they're both obsoleted by byz's ideas and patriarch authority

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
You can probably become a Republican Byzantium more easily in Cossacks. Let the Nobles stage a coup, then change government type.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
ugh, got bitten by the crash and eat your savegame thing. Guess I'm not playing until that gets fixed.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
I dunno if this is a glitch or what but I've been sitting on a siege at 49% success for two years now, which should have a roughly .00000958703309% chance to happen. Feel like that might be broke.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Average Bear posted:

Influence. Don't take religious or humanist, they're both obsoleted by byz's ideas and patriarch authority

drat, already have it. Should I abandon it?'

I had already taken influence though, seems awesome for vassal feeding. Any tip for third?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Deport The Irish posted:

I dunno if this is a glitch or what but I've been sitting on a siege at 49% success for two years now, which should have a roughly .00000958703309% chance to happen. Feel like that might be broke.

Did you fall below the minimum required number of troops to siege due to attrition?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Deport The Irish posted:

Wouldn't the chance be 0.49^24 = 0.000000037

I mean 0.51^24 = 0.000000095

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 6, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sistergodiva posted:

drat, already have it. Should I abandon it?'

I had already taken influence though, seems awesome for vassal feeding. Any tip for third?

Deus Vult CB is completely bonkers, just keep religious. You can leave it at 1 idea and refund it later if you want, tbh.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

Enjoy posted:

That's the chance he succeeds 24 times in a row. 0.51^24 is the chance he fails 24 times in a row. I think he left off a couple though, since it should be 0.0000000958703309

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

junidog posted:

That's the chance he succeeds 24 times in a row. 0.51^24 is the chance he fails 24 times in a row.

I knew that! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

Did you fall below the minimum required number of troops to siege due to attrition?

No, I don't have brain damage.

Enjoy posted:

I mean 0.51^24 = 0.000000095

I don't care. It's an infinitesimal either way.

Another Bug: The game just keeps randomly taking out loans for no reason. Got hundreds of ducats in the bank and it's claming I'm in debt and takes out another loan. Jesus loving Christ paradox get at least one playtester before you release poo poo. Just loving one.

• Locked thread