Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

with kof14, snk accidentally brings back and perfects the 90s era lovely pre-rendered cg aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Rodyle has bad opinions on RPGs is my favorite part of the SBFP thread.
Are you defending FFX2 and chrono cross

If so I have some bad news for you, man.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'll defend X-2 because it plays good and say Chrono Cross wasn't that bad. It's just bloated and fucks up beloved characters in one of the greatest RPGs ever, but it's not objectively bad.

Anyway, are you guys HYPE FOR CAPCOM CUP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm74zi4mUF4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Those are some PS2-level graphics, drat. The undershirt doesn't even look textured, it just looks like a matte black.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Sad Mammal posted:

Man, is nostalgia milking so ingrained in corporate video game production that all lovely looking games have to look like PS2-era models?

yes it was my nostalgia for the sega saturn that made me say this game looks like dog poo poo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want a rpg that doesn't take itself to seriously, like it's full of slapstick humor like maybe one of the characters loves sports like a lot, to the point where if he see's the ball or whatever he's just compelled to kick it. Bonus points if something wacky happens like the ball is a bomb and it blows the main characters head off

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hate super wacky games. You need a balance of moods, or it becomes super boring like Fairy Fencer F which it was 200% snark which got old in an hour.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want a rpg that doesn't take itself to seriously, like it's full of slapstick humor like maybe one of the characters loves sports like a lot, to the point where if he see's the ball or whatever he's just compelled to kick it. Bonus points if something wacky happens like the ball is a bomb and it blows the main characters head off

So, Barkley?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How many episodes will ffx go for? I'm wagering 50+ unless there's a lot of cuts

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's no way it's going be around 50. Probably looking at 70+. The tipping forties took like 60 at around 30 minutes a video.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cmykjester posted:

There's no way it's going be around 50. Probably looking at 70+. The tipping forties took like 60 at around 30 minutes a video.

And some of those parts had "parts" too. It's gonna be a long Eidolon ride.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

you guys all laugh now but snk is just ahead of the curve since they're just preparing to license out their characters to be mascots for graphics card boxes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
God, it looks exactly like an early 90s prerendered cutscene. Maybe it's actually a nostalgia play

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Do not even ask posted:

you guys all laugh now but snk is just ahead of the curve since they're just preparing to license out their characters to be mascots for graphics card boxes

Oh my god. That's perfect. That's exactly what they are.

The renders on a graphics card box.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Oh my god. That's perfect. That's exactly what they are.

The renders on a graphics card box.

Get hype for the new character announcements of Ruby from the ATI Radeon video card boxes and the face from the Voodoo 3dfx boxes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, FF9 is a nice looking game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=galsDIziGoA

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I am looking forward to the podcast talk on the new best SF character F.A.N.G.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

pulp rag posted:

So, Barkley?

Was joking about the FFX novel that was put out, go figure there would be a actual game that kinda fits that.

I cannot believe there's a official FFX novel that features Tidus kicking a bomb that's painted like a blitzball and blowing his own head off for Yuna to catch. It's great.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want a rpg that doesn't take itself to seriously, like it's full of slapstick humor

I know this is a joke, but

Neptunia

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

I know this is a joke, but

Neptunia

No, they said Good, not Terrible

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Improbable Lobster posted:

No, they said Good, not Terrible

There was no mention of quality at all!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Let me introduce you to a game called "Mugen Souls"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tae posted:

Let me introduce you to a game called "Mugen Souls"

Nah, the guys already did a video about Saltybet.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Something I hear often these days is that it's a cardinal sin for something that's mostly comedic to try and up the stakes and be serious. I suppose mood whiplash can happen as a result of poor execution but is there good examples of this?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HGH posted:

Something I hear often these days is that it's a cardinal sin for something that's mostly comedic to try and up the stakes and be serious. I suppose mood whiplash can happen as a result of poor execution but is there good examples of this?

There's this game called Undertale

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

HGH posted:

every compile heart jrpg

edit: Oh wait, you want a game that did this well.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HGH posted:

Earthbound and Mother 3.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

HGH posted:

Seconding Undertale, which has a massive emotional range. Outside of video games I'd recommend JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, both in general and for this specifically. I never thought a series with a character named R.E.O. Speedwagon would make me cry big man-tears.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
wolfenstein old blood is such a weird choice for a playthrough because neither of them beat the main game so they crack jokes about the nazi super concrete sideplot without realizing that it actually ended up being important

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They should really LP the base game. Off-shoots of games are really weird unless they're completely unrelated like Blood Dragon.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pat dream canceling his hype about Ludwig's Holy Blade in order to shout about it is hilarious.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

wolfenstein old blood is such a weird choice for a playthrough because neither of them beat the main game so they crack jokes about the nazi super concrete sideplot without realizing that it actually ended up being important

Speaking of blood

borne

The crushing silence when the DLC started was incredible.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tae posted:

They should really LP the base game. Off-shoots of games are really weird unless they're completely unrelated like Blood Dragon.

The important thing is we're seeing Pat's FPS balls exposed on stream

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're not watching the Capcom cup right now, you should. Daigo is fighting infiltration right now

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
It's really amazing how the WWE games seem to get worse and worse as time goes on. I think the only real reason anyone buys the games anymore is just to mess with the create-a-rustler mode. What the hell, why make it a "simulation game" if the real thing is a simulation already? Fast-paced crazy action is where it's at. But then again if they made the games too good it would make the show look bad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Big Scary Owl posted:

if they made the games too good it would make the show look bad.

I don't think the WWE has to worry about that

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're not watching the Capcom cup right now, you should. Daigo is fighting infiltration right now

Is there a link? And is it interesting?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If you are not interested in the best technical play, no.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is there a link? And is it interesting?

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man high level fighting game play is the coolest poo poo. Too bad living in bumfuck no where Kentucky isn't very conductive to being good at fighting games. :sigh: