Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite moment was when I saw a level 50 something monster that attacks on sight just vanish in a haze of purple pixels near me. I wasn't sure what that was as none of the other ones near the area had done it but just kept going only for it to load in back where it was a moment later due to draw distance stuff.

Also one of those birds that run all over getting stuck on a wall and vibrating so hard it clipped through it and launched across the landscape like 10x faster then it was supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
could someone post a list of all the quests that reward you with sweet shades, tia

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ohhhh nooooo I hate the manon please tell me I don't have to deal with them much

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Calaveron posted:

Ohhhh nooooo I hate the manon please tell me I don't have to deal with them much

They're not even worthy party members. They just exist as NPCS.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Iserlohn posted:

Are there easier ways to switch which appendage you're targeting? I can lock on to one, but I can't really do much else.

As far as I can tell the only way is to move around the monster, since you automatically target whichever part is closest. At least running works when you're in combat

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Suaimhneas posted:

As far as I can tell the only way is to move around the monster, since you automatically target whichever part is closest. At least running works when you're in combat

Move around and hit R and you'll lock on to the bit you are currently targeting.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
How the hell do I activate chain attacks on this? I've got the blue lines between characters which iirc was the prompt for chain attacks in the original, but I can't activate it like in the original (up on the monando spot). Is it plot gated? I'm in chapter 4.

Edit: I guess it's called overdrive in this and is plot gated. Anyone want to tell me when I unlock it?

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 6, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Move around and hit R and you'll lock on to the bit you are currently targeting.

Yeah I know that, they asked how to switch between body parts.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Kris xK posted:

How the hell do I activate chain attacks on this? I've got the blue lines between characters which iirc was the prompt for chain attacks in the original, but I can't activate it like in the original (up on the monando spot). Is it plot gated? I'm in chapter 4.

Edit: I guess it's called overdrive in this and is plot gated. Anyone want to tell me when I unlock it?

Overdrive is unlocked after you finish chapter 5.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Suaimhneas posted:

Yeah I know that, they asked how to switch between body parts.

Oh I missed the part were they said they knew, oops!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also you'll wanna push the right stick to lock onto a specific appendage, R is just general lock on (and then L is camera lock on, so many locks)

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

The amount of Nopon-bashing going on in this game's main story is extremely hosed up. Did Monolith somehow get the impression people disliked them in the first game or something

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

How come I cant take my Mechanical skill to 5? There's a probe site at the north of Primordia i need 5 for god damnit!!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Chapter 5 was kind of cool. There's a fairly linear footpath through an enemy camp, except its staffed by a million guards and some patrolling poo poo that likely outlevels you. As if to make sure you know you have a jump button, there's a ton of ledges along the peripheries and vertical shortcuts up every single switchback.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dieter, the Epicure is a real piece of work

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
It seems like I'm underleveled for all the missions I have and the affinity mission I'm locked into has an end encounter I can't beat. I'd like to think I'm missing something and the solution around level 17 isn't just 'grind out some levels' but I don't know what it could be right now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Suaimhneas posted:

The amount of Nopon-bashing going on in this game's main story is extremely hosed up. Did Monolith somehow get the impression people disliked them in the first game or something

And why does the pastiche geeky teenage girl see one for the first time, and instead of having a kawaii attack, hates the poo poo out of it and wants to cook and eat it?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

enojy posted:

And why does the pastiche geeky teenage girl see one for the first time, and instead of having a kawaii attack, hates the poo poo out of it and wants to cook and eat it?
Lin's hobbies are mechs and cooking so if you're going to hang with her you better fall into one of those. Lets just say nopon aren't going to get a skell license any time soon.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

she's 13, she's too cool for little kid stuff any more, she has to hate on anything cute so that you know she's NOT A CHILD, MOM, GOD.
as i said before, most accurate portrayal of a teenage girl in any video game

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Good Citizen posted:

It seems like I'm underleveled for all the missions I have and the affinity mission I'm locked into has an end encounter I can't beat. I'd like to think I'm missing something and the solution around level 17 isn't just 'grind out some levels' but I don't know what it could be right now.

If you have open slots in your party you can go pick up some other player characters and see if they can bring in the extra fire power you need.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Also how do i check what the actual criteria for squad missions are instead of just running around hoping I find an S?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Rei_ posted:

Also how do i check what the actual criteria for squad missions are instead of just running around hoping I find an S?

hold r and hit l to cycle through the icons. they won't show up on your map or anything though, so good luck finding them.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

enojy posted:

Is 'Koreans eat cute animals' a stereotype in Japan too?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this game is loving overwhelming, reminds me of when I started Xenoblade but even moreso. Only just finished the tutorial chapters, now doing Ch.4 wif full 4 person team. I had no idea it went up to 4 now, I love it. Maximum chaos. I was disappointed in the stupid snorkels and scouters I saw in the shops and figured "nothng cool?" but I've seen posts of shades and sweet coats so at least it gets better. Everyone looks like Winter Soldier with a single bionic arm sleeve now, lol.

I thought "hey maybe I can play this off-tv?" lol no. it's loving impossible not to mention I hosed my eyes trying to read that text on the gamepad. Def not viable for that, especially with how much you'll be using the map fast travels. as well.

Question: has anyone gotten more characters besides Gwin, Irina, and Doug? It'll be a little disappointing if only the 5 starting people are all you get. Also kind of annoying that the "reserve list" doesnt do jack poo poo---if you switch out one character with another then you have to go find them again in the city HQ area.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm about six hours into this game and it's reminding me an awful lot of Xenosaga, only not as interesting.

It's the cutscenes that have no music and people standing around in a group, staring dead-eyed at nothing while they talk about one thing three times that's making me think like this, along with the artstyle in general.

Did they crucify the guy who wrote Xenoblade or something? Six hours into that game and all the characters were fueled by a burning passion for revenge. Six hours into this game and I don't think I've seen an emotion yet.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Japanese text is apparently readable in the Japanese version. But someone apparently messed up the text format in translation.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

MinibarMatchman posted:

this game is loving overwhelming, reminds me of when I started Xenoblade but even moreso. Only just finished the tutorial chapters, now doing Ch.4 wif full 4 person team. I had no idea it went up to 4 now, I love it. Maximum chaos. I was disappointed in the stupid snorkels and scouters I saw in the shops and figured "nothng cool?" but I've seen posts of shades and sweet coats so at least it gets better. Everyone looks like Winter Soldier with a single bionic arm sleeve now, lol.

I thought "hey maybe I can play this off-tv?" lol no. it's loving impossible not to mention I hosed my eyes trying to read that text on the gamepad. Def not viable for that, especially with how much you'll be using the map fast travels. as well.

Question: has anyone gotten more characters besides Gwin, Irina, and Doug? It'll be a little disappointing if only the 5 starting people are all you get. Also kind of annoying that the "reserve list" doesnt do jack poo poo---if you switch out one character with another then you have to go find them again in the city HQ area.

I've actually ONLY played the game off-TV on the gamepad so far. The UI is for ants so i cant read it from my couch

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So why is this like the only first party Wii U game this year not to have an Amiibo edition?

It's a game about giant mechs. People like figures of giant mechs.

Also if I hated the first game because of the combat and ridiculously slow first few hours will I like this one any better?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Several characters are unlocked either through story progress, or sidequests.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Also if I hated the first game because of the combat and ridiculously slow first few hours will I like this one any better?

No.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm about six hours into this game and it's reminding me an awful lot of Xenosaga, only not as interesting.

It's the cutscenes that have no music and people standing around in a group, staring dead-eyed at nothing while they talk about one thing three times that's making me think like this, along with the artstyle in general.

Did they crucify the guy who wrote Xenoblade or something? Six hours into that game and all the characters were fueled by a burning passion for revenge. Six hours into this game and I don't think I've seen an emotion yet.

yeah the story is basically "explore alien planet, do poo poo" and is more MMO than ever. In terms of characters and story writing it is incredibly inferior to Xenoblade, idk what the gently caress they were thinking but the rest of the game is good so I don't mind so much--it's a different game.

pissdude posted:

I've actually ONLY played the game off-TV on the gamepad so far. The UI is for ants so i cant read it from my couch

Man you're going to really suffer going back and forth to the map screen for poo poo, good luck not going insane

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I've heard that the story picks up after a few chapters, but yeah I can't say I'm overly impressed by the early stuff. They might've just front loaded the exposition though since so much of it is gameplay-relevant.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

MinibarMatchman posted:

yeah the story is basically "explore alien planet, do poo poo" and is more MMO than ever. In terms of characters and story writing it is incredibly inferior to Xenoblade, idk what the gently caress they were thinking but the rest of the game is good so I don't mind so much--it's a different game.

Man you're going to really suffer going back and forth to the map screen for poo poo, good luck not going insane

I just tap the touchscreen and look at the map when i need to or for fast travel then tap and switch back, it's not really been an issue so far

also i like playing in bed

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Looking at the divisions and how you get points for them, wouldn't it make more sense to pick someone like the Pathfinders first since you get exp for exploring and switching to something like Interceptors later since mobs respawn? Or does it really not matter and you're not going to max out multiple divisions anyway so just pick one and go to town?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So in the months it took them to dub this thing nobody told the sound people what an incredibly loving dumb idea it was to make the manon sound the way they do?

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I really like L and his stupid almost correct saying. "Let's put a sock on them!"

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Holy poo poo, that's what the "S" means over enemies. I just assume it means it's an enemy that sleeps at night. Hell, I'm going to murder every one I see now (that is within level range).

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Calaveron posted:

So in the months it took them to dub this thing nobody told the sound people what an incredibly loving dumb idea it was to make the manon sound the way they do?

it was apparently like that in japanese too.

also i was wandering around oblivia and i found three of the honkbirds standing on each others' shoulders while a fourth stood in front of them clapping rhythmically.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the honkbirds are over designed pieces of poo poo and i love them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's my dude, btw

• Locked thread