Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Can't wait to see HD drag-Cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I'm so sorry.

On one level, I can't see that happening, considering they still have Advent Children set afterwards. But give me a post-game story mode where I get to play as Biggs, Wedge, Aerith and Jessie beating up Jenova in the lifestream, I'd be fine with that Square. They did something like that for one of their other remakes, as I remember it.

the GBA release of 1+2 Dawn of Souls had everyone that died in 2 come back in Heaven to kill the "holy emperor"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

I hope he says "It's cuz of that &^#$# 'pizza' that people underneath are sufferin'" and they actually bleep out the &^#$# part or lightning masks it or something.
The train whistle can blow when says it :v:

Tae posted:

Why would they care? Final fantasy has put out an m rated game before.
Every part of the script where FF7 censored stuff, at least in English, was kind of a comic relief joke beat. If they can keep those parts in, great!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

al-azad posted:

I hope he says "It's cuz of that &^#$# 'pizza' that people underneath are sufferin'" and they actually bleep out the &^#$# part or lightning masks it or something.

e: Thinking back to FF7, that game was violent and lewd as poo poo. I'm just thinking of Sephiroth's massacre of Shinra headquarters which leaves dozens of bloody bodies everywhere. They'll have to carefully go around that to not get a mature rating.

I bet Remake won't include Cloud beating the poo poo out of Aeris while she's lying helplessly on the ground after the Temple of the Ancients goes pop. It's a weird game in that it's simultaneously both darker and goofier than most people seem to remember it being.

Of course ultimately there is only one scene that truly matters and will absolutely need to be included in it, which is Cloud being stripped by and taking a group bath with Mukki and his buddies.

(Taken from Elentor's great LP)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

the GBA release of 1+2 Dawn of Souls had everyone that died in 2 come back in Heaven to kill the "holy emperor"

Didn't they also do something similar for the FFIV remake, where you suddenly could get all those suckers who had died for the story back at the end?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Libluini posted:

Didn't they also do something similar for the FFIV remake, where you suddenly could get all those suckers who had died for the story back at the end?

They all come back to life before the ending anyway, the remake just made it so you could play as them instead of having them praying for you. Also it was neat because it added new bits to the ending depending on which characters were in your party and who was back praying for you.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It suddenly occurred to me that the old joke about Shirtless Sephiroth/Cloud in HD (i.e. in a form were they'd actually look like human beings) is probably going to be a reality now.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Libluini posted:

Like who? Several people appear to die in that game but you find most of them alive and well later on even in the original.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Kanfy posted:

Like who? Several people appear to die in that game but you find most of them alive and well later on even in the original.

Tellah is the only one who actually dies in the original and I don't think there's a version where he comes back.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

al-azad posted:

e: Thinking back to FF7, that game was violent and lewd as poo poo. I'm just thinking of Sephiroth's massacre of Shinra headquarters which leaves dozens of bloody bodies everywhere. They'll have to carefully go around that to not get a mature rating.

Cloud straight up beats up Aerith on screen while being mind controlled at one point. I can't see any way of keeping that scene and not getting a mature rating.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'll actually probably play Ni no Kuni 2 happily. I know NnK1 gets panned these days but there was something charming about the game that kept me with it. I think it was probably the OST and just still beating a game over its head despite it trying to sabotage your enjoyment all along the way.

Or maybe it was the Pokemon. gently caress it was probably the Pokemon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This isn't Movies where ratings can mean the difference between a flop and success. Ratings largely don't matter if you're not aiming for the small children market. The difference between T and M is not remotely the same as PG-13 and R.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It feels like the majority of games that get released in here the UK get a 16 or 18 PEGI rating. It's hard to compare though, the effects of getting different ratings are very different in different countries. I get the sense that the high CERO ratings in Japan have far more of an effect than the ones over here, for example.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Cloud straight up beats up Aerith on screen while being mind controlled at one point. I can't see any way of keeping that scene and not getting a mature rating.
i can think of plenty of games where women get beat up that have a T rating

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Endorph posted:

In the age of realistic graphics? That particular scene will play very differently when the characters look semi-believably human.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I'll actually probably play Ni no Kuni 2 happily. I know NnK1 gets panned these days but there was something charming about the game that kept me with it. I think it was probably the OST and just still beating a game over its head despite it trying to sabotage your enjoyment all along the way.

Literally everything was charming except the combat. They have one job to do for the sequel.

Tae posted:

This isn't Movies where ratings can mean the difference between a flop and success. Ratings largely don't matter if you're not aiming for the small children market. The difference between T and M is not remotely the same as PG-13 and R.

I'd argue it matters more for a Japanese company where they do have a particular stance on violence and FF7 gets away with a fair bit due to its crude graphics. Given the cartoony Dragon Ball action of Advent Children I can see them toning down some of the darker moments where Sephiroth is stacking civilian bodies on his sword.

e: Wasn't Hojo trying to get Red XIII to gently caress Aerith? I gotta play this game again.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 6, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rascyc posted:

They just have to make the combat not poo poo and fix your partner AI. Or let you set the AI options.

In before NNK1 rerelease alongside 2 with fixed AI. Didn't White Knight Chronicles do the same thing?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

al-azad posted:

I'd argue it matters more for a Japanese company where they do have a particular stance on violence and FF7 gets away with a fair bit due to its crude graphics. Given the cartoony Dragon Ball action of Advent Children I can see them toning down some of the darker moments where Sephiroth is stacking civilian bodies on his sword.

What stance? They literally put out an M-Rated final fantasy game this year, gunning down teenagers in cold blood.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
In other random shower thoughts, I really want to try Xenoblade X but I am afraid it's going to be the greatest disappointment of my life. Like Disgaea 3 levels of afraid.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's fun so far but i don't have strong feelings toward xenoblade chronicles which ironically is probably letting me enjoy it more

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Like straight up "punched in the face repeatedly in modern graphics"? That's not particularly common.

I disagree with CottonWolf though, I don't see how that scene would affect the game's rating as there are far bloodier parts in that game and there is zero reason why the gender of the person getting beaten would make any kind of difference when it comes to that. They might tone it down a bit to make it seem less brutal but it won't be because of ratings.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

bloodychill posted:

Tellah is the only one who actually dies in the original and I don't think there's a version where he comes back.
Tellah's is the one that actually sticks, yeah. Not that you would ever want him back since he never gains MP and actually loses stats more than he gains them. Given the option to use Palom or Rydia you'd be dumb to use him even if you could.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rascyc posted:

In other random shower thoughts, I really want to try Xenoblade X but I am afraid it's going to be the greatest disappointment of my life. Like Disgaea 3 levels of afraid.

Outside of having pretty landscape and places to explore, it's :mediocre:

It's worse than Xenoblade.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what is it with people and acting like every game ever made is totally going to get an AO rating because a few people die and a woman gets socked in the jaw

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

al-azad posted:

Literally everything was charming except the combat. They have one job to do for the sequel.

e: Wasn't Hojo trying to get Red XIII to gently caress Aerith? I gotta play this game again.

Yep! And that was before anyone knew he could talk.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kanfy posted:

Like straight up "punched in the face repeatedly in modern graphics"? That's not particularly common.

I disagree with CottonWolf though, I don't see how that scene would affect the game's rating as there are far bloodier parts in that game and there is zero reason why the gender of the person getting beaten would make any kind of difference when it comes to that. They might tone it down a bit to make it seem less brutal but it won't be because of ratings.

I think it's the whole context of the thing rather than the gender actually. A mentally ill/mind controlled character beating down their sympathetic ally while they don't fight back. It's just really dark.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tae posted:

What stance? They literally put out an M-Rated final fantasy game this year, gunning down teenagers in cold blood.

I haven't played Type 0 so I can't make a comparison but dismemberment is a big no-no and you have a guy with a 20ft long sword carving people up.

All I'm saying is that if FF7 were made today with everything intact, weird sex jokes and impaled giant snakes and all, it would definitely be an M game which I don't think Square Enix necessarily wants to arguably the biggest title in their franchise that has historically kept a specific tone and look for its sequels. Even Final Fantasy 15 is fanciful action with giant plastic swords.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rascyc posted:

It's good

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

al-azad posted:

Hojo is a terrible scientist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

new super mario brothers? they gotta rate that one an m... bowser gets burned alive in lava and mario stomps goomba's brains in. if it was made today? definitely an m.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenoblade Chronicles X, at least as far as I am, is better than Xenoblade in every area that isn't story. However I wasn't very impressed with Xenoblade's "this is literally just a mecha anime without the mecha" story so that isn't a big deal to me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Some people are real mad that everyone isn't using british and a story that no one finished because the people that complain about rpg stories certainly would've mentioned the clusterfuck that was the last quarter of it.

The one thing I'll say it that the game has a very MGSV pacing of dripping story scenes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

new super mario brothers? they gotta rate that one an m... bowser gets burned alive in lava and mario stomps goomba's brains in. if it was made today? definitely an m.

That's not remotely similar. Like at all.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I think it's the whole context of the thing rather than the gender actually. A mentally ill/mind controlled character beating down their sympathetic ally while they don't fight back. It's just really dark.

It is, but while it might be more uncomfortable to watch it's unlikely that it'd affect the actual rating more than all the other violent and messed up stuff that happens in the game.

But like I said it's most likely going to be toned down a bit as it's hard to make it work the same way when you're trying to be realistic, although I hope they'll find at least some way to show the hosed up state Cloud is in.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tae posted:

Some people are real mad that everyone isn't using british and a story that no one finished because the people that complain about rpg stories certainly would've mentioned the clusterfuck that was the last quarter of it.

The one thing I'll say it that the game has a very MGSV pacing of dripping story scenes.

Oh people definitely complained about the last part of the game. Even on SA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basically, as far as I am, my writeup of Xenoblade X is this:

Story: The story is barely-there. The cutscenes are dull but they are mostly a handful of minor scenes in-between long periods of exploring and having fun fights and so-on. The opening is too long and wordy for its own good which is the biggest problem.
Graphics: Literally everything that isn't the character faces is a huge step up and it's honestly an awesome game to just run around and explore in. The character faces are really freaking bad.
Combat: Way better in every area except the fact that there's less cohesion to character design because there is more customization. This generally works out for the better but you don't have the firm defined character playstyles that Xenoblade had which is disappointing. On the other hand healing isn't a tremendous pile of poo poo, you can do sidequests without ending up hilariously overleveled, and there is more thought to a lot of abilities than 'use ability on cooldown' thanks to the expanded cooldown mechanic.
Exploration: Basically the most fun I've had exploring in a JRPG ever and honestly more fun than exploring in a lot of WRPGs because movement feels great and jumping is an actual thing you can do instead of a slight hop off the ground.
Music: The music is largely pretty good but goddamn exhausting. It is constantly 'on' which is good during pitched battles against deadly foes but really tiresome during cutscenes or town scenarios. They really should have gone for some more ambient music and kicked into higher gear for action instead of being in high gear almost 24/7.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 6, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF7 getting an M rating doesn't matter because the only people interested in it are in their late 20's/30's now

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rascyc posted:

I've never played Xenoblade, but the part at the very beginning of the game where you run to the city for the first time is really cool, as is the part at whenever you want where you walk/swim into new continents

I can't really speak on the story because I haven't progressed it at all after leaving the three chapter tutorial. Exploring is fun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

FF7 getting an M rating doesn't matter because the only people interested in it are in their late 20's/30's now

Apparently Cloud is actually reasonably popular among teenagers still. Like not"FFVII is popular among teenagers." Cloud is. I think it's just entirely a case of something being popular because people told other people it was popular. I suspect it also contributes to why a lot of people who are fans of the characters are fans of the weird internet fanfiction version of the character because it's the only one they know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

FFVII was immediately trending worldwide on Twitter after yesterday's trailer, I think you might be slightly underestimating how many people are interested in that thing.