Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I picked up the CE strategy guide and it seems decent so far, and works like a real manual explaining things. Like if you have 3000 party TP that's how you can raise someone or get raised.

Have any of you seen any optimal frontierNAV strategies yet for Primordia? The only thing I've used are mining nodes when there are obvious minerals but I have all these different node types...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Here's my Power Ranger squad looking fly as gently caress

My character without robot armor:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, had a pretty good sequence of events happen to me while I took care of more important stuff. First I accepted a shitton of quests, one of which was slaying a tyrant, just read its name and figured i'd do it some other time, then as I ran to probe a site now that I was level 3 mechanical a guy on a field station said a thing and a hexagon nearby updated, saying it had a tyrant, specifically teh same one i got a quest for, I fast travel near it, look around and find the tyrant. It's one of those gently caress-huge dinosaurs that drink water by a lake.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Has anyone found a source of insect jaws yet? I'm level 20, I've been to 4 different continents, I need about 40 of them to craft some level appropriate gear but I've not found a single one despite slaughtering my fair share of insects. I know I can buy them with tickets but I can't afford more than like 3.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
How do you unequip fashion gear? I want to go back to it showing what my character is wearing stat wise but I cant find a 'return to normal' or 'no fashion for this slot' buttom

-edit- Right after I asked I found it buried in a sub menu

Parasara fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 6, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Parasara posted:

How do you unequip fashion gear? I want to go back to it showing what my character is wearing stat wise but I cant find a 'return to normal' or 'no fashion for this slot' buttom

Press X when selecting a fashion slot and then remove gear

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The actual plot beats of the story are fine but it's terribly written and delivered thus far. Characters standing around expositing to each other extremely slowly and using five lines of dialogue when one would do.

The game itself is really good though. I've spent like twelve hours just exploring Primordia getting a handle on the combat system, doing random quests and filling in probes. Not sure if I'm gonna stick with the sniper class, it seems kinda dull although it's hard to tell how it'll feel later because I'm down to three Arts due to how class promotions work.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

So is there a convenient way to go to a single location and select exactly which party members I want, or do I have to run into town and swap characters one by one every time?

Also, love the aerial camera. R button and up on the d-pad if you haven't used it yet.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Baal posted:

Here's my dude, btw

How did you get Ozzy Osbourn in your party

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ok new question. If I can get past the poo poo combat, the slow start and the terrible MMO stuff, can I still have enough fun loving around with mechs to be worth a purchase?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Steve2911 posted:

Ok new question. If I can get past the poo poo combat, the slow start and the terrible MMO stuff, can I still have enough fun loving around with mechs to be worth a purchase?

the combat and terrible mmo stuff is the game, so no

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One Two Three Four :shepface:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Did they crucify the guy who wrote Xenoblade or something? Six hours into that game and all the characters were fueled by a burning passion for revenge. Six hours into this game and I don't think I've seen an emotion yet.
tetsuya takahashi wrote both games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Six hours into the game all the characters were fueled by a burning passion for revenge! For the next 40+ hours they did little to nothing with that except sit around and feel sad until a plot point nullified the need for revenge, at which point they promptly decided that forgiveness is the answer."

I feel like a lot of people who praise Xenoblade's story only remember like the first two areas of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tetsuya takahashi is also married to the lady who wrote edgar and sabin in FF6

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can you only do online missions when a squad task is active? There was 2 mins left and I was able to accept one and by the time 4 people got in the timer ran out and it immediately kicked me back to the barracks with no way to get quests again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

the combat and terrible mmo stuff is the game, so no

Steve out then.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

"Six hours into the game all the characters were fueled by a burning passion for revenge! For the next 40+ hours they did little to nothing with that except sit around and feel sad until a plot point nullified the need for revenge, at which point they promptly decided that forgiveness is the answer."

I feel like a lot of people who praise Xenoblade's story only remember like the first two areas of the game.

And that is still way better than whatever the gently caress is happening in Xenoblade X

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And that is still way better than whatever the gently caress is happening in Xenoblade X

Yeah, but fortunately literally everything else is better so I can't really care much. Like I fully agree that Xenoblade X's plot is worse at least as far as I am but it's also like a handful of cutscenes in between hours of exploring and fighting fun monsters so it's hard for me to care.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wish the game would point where the gently caress I could find Zizi Rabbits and Auroran bones. It's getting real annoying looking in places that neither Gamefaqs nor Reddit seem to be able to inform me of and I don't know if the rabbits are actual enemies or what.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Man the aerial cam is the best god drat thing that I was never loving told about. Was running around last night hunting down Gung-ho Guns Tyrants Gung-ho Guns and decided to mess with the controls a bit to get an idea of what they could do and finding that just blew my goddamn mind. Makes it so much easier to find stuff it's not even funny.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Baal posted:

I wish the game would point where the gently caress I could find Zizi Rabbits and Auroran bones. It's getting real annoying looking in places that neither Gamefaqs nor Reddit seem to be able to inform me of and I don't know if the rabbits are actual enemies or what.

Zizi Rabbits are a collectible. You can find them behind some waterfall in Primordia. Someone in the thread mentioned which specifically at some point, IIRC, but gently caress me if I can remember where. Just go look behind waterfalls I guess.

Also I finally got the game, and proceeded to dump 8 rows continously into it. So much fun. I probably should've cleared chapter 3 before loving around so much, a lot of poo poo unlocked after it, haha.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I put my name on the goon list so we can be anime and hunt monsters together! So yeah.

Also, this might be the first game I go buy an actual strategy guide for. But that drat thing is like 30 bucks so ehhhh....

e: Can anyone comment on the quality/handiness of the strategy guide? Mostly I just want to actually know where-ish to go to get my anime bear butts.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Baal posted:

Zizi Rabbits are by the place where you recruited Lao. 103 I think?

I've been swapping outfits for my character depending on how I feel. Right now she's dressed like that lady who gives you your bonuses to searching crates and whatnot.

Here's what she looked like at character creation:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

They didn't really sit around doing nothing though, it was a constant quest to get to the mechonis to fight. There was very little "I'm sad" going on.

The Birdpeople sub-plot happened but Shulk and the others were more indifferent to it then anything and kinda needed it to continue revengequest

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Senerio posted:

Zizi Rabbits are by the place where you recruited Lao. 103 I think?

I've been swapping outfits for my character depending on how I feel. Right now she's dressed like that lady who gives you your bonuses to searching crates and whatnot.

Here's what she looked like at character creation:

Infinity Gaia posted:

Zizi Rabbits are a collectible. You can find them behind some waterfall in Primordia. Someone in the thread mentioned which specifically at some point, IIRC, but gently caress me if I can remember where. Just go look behind waterfalls I guess.

Also I finally got the game, and proceeded to dump 8 rows continously into it. So much fun. I probably should've cleared chapter 3 before loving around so much, a lot of poo poo unlocked after it, haha.

Yeah, I just picked up one near 101. It's near the entrance to Noctilum and now that I know the thing is a collectible this will make my life somewhat easier. I looked through the drat cave near the entrace of Sylvalum though and couldn't find a drat Auroran Bone, most of the things this game asks you for seem to be rare drops, of course.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They didn't really sit around doing nothing though, it was a constant quest to get to the mechonis to fight. There was very little "I'm sad" going on.

The Birdpeople sub-plot happened but Shulk and the others were more indifferent to it then anything and kinda needed it to continue revengequest

Once Shulk left his home town he basically just wandered around from vision to vision without much goal beyond "gotta follow a vision because it said I'd get a powerup!" You spend a long time between Colony 6 and the birdpeople town doing almost nothing at all and almost every scene Shulk has is him ruminating on his failure and feeling dejected, aside from a few moments where he yells real loud and runs at something. Shulk's revengequest is promptly derailed as soon as he finds out about Nemesis Face and the truth about the Mechon and he spends the rest of the game building up to friendship speeches and forgiveness.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What gives items the lucky star that awards BP when you register them in the collectipedia, it seems to have no relation to their rarity.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

xedo posted:

So is there a convenient way to go to a single location and select exactly which party members I want, or do I have to run into town and swap characters one by one every time?

This, holy heck. Is there a magical way to add people to the reserve menu or do I really have to fast travel?

I really enjoy exploring around and the combat is fun but man did they ever ratchet up the confusing and bad UI design with this thing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

This, holy heck. Is there a magical way to add people to the reserve menu or do I really have to fast travel?

I really enjoy exploring around and the combat is fun but man did they ever ratchet up the confusing and bad UI design with this thing.

I really don't understand how they got as far as a menu for Current Party and Reserve Members and didn't think to actually do anything with it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I dont get why reserve members don't level passively, even if its at a reduced rate.

Lin and Elma are forced for so many main and side quests that it takes some effort to grind the others up after a story/affinity run. :(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Exploring Noctilum while on the main quest
"Hey, what's that big robot thing sitting in the middle of that lake?"
Turns out that robot thing is a Lvl 60 "Guardian Deity" that aggros as soon as I get close and hits me for 32K damage in one shot
This loving game, man.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just bought the game on a whim without any past Xenoblade experience! I haven't played the Wiiu in about 4 months so I am pretty excited!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I just looked at the develop new equipment screen and apparently (maybe spoilers?) telethia parts are materials you can get...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, in some of the cutscenes, the music (with lyrics) is so loud you can't hear the dialogue over it.
That seems like a.... questionable design decision.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
I just met Tatsu (im still pretty early) and boy howdy I sure do hate roughly everyone significantly more now. A "He looks like food!" B GOTO A

Also I kind of wish the manual was online so I could reference it without it bouncing me to the WiiU menu

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parasara posted:

I just met Tatsu (im still pretty early) and boy howdy I sure do hate roughly everyone significantly more now. A "He looks like food!" B GOTO A

Also I kind of wish the manual was online so I could reference it without it bouncing me to the WiiU menu

https://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/m...oniclesX_EN.pdf

Your wish is granted!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Parasara posted:

Good news! https://cdn03.nintendo-europe.com/m...oniclesX_EN.pdf

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

Exploring Noctilum while on the main quest
"Hey, what's that big robot thing sitting in the middle of that lake?"
Turns out that robot thing is a Lvl 60 "Guardian Deity" that aggros as soon as I get close and hits me for 32K damage in one shot
This loving game, man.

I found him too. "Oh hey, thst wrecked robot is pretty cool, hope we find an intact one la....ter... :stare: Mummy....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ratbert90 posted:

Just bought the game on a whim without any past Xenoblade experience! I haven't played the Wiiu in about 4 months so I am pretty excited!

Make sure to read the manual!

• Locked thread