Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Best news I've heard in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lote posted:

Something something Queen of England.

Merry Christmas from Lyndon LaRouche!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54PUjYgS0XI

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lote posted:

You mean its a false flag attack paid for by Obama to take our guns. Something something Queen of England.

I guess I'm just thinking Leftist Anti-Corporate Conspiracy Theorist or something. :toot:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

I can't tell if this is parody or not.

Also one of my friends from high school bought in fully to Larouche. I have no idea how they are attracting followers in
TYOOY-H 5776.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My mom, who lives in Geneva County, AL, just got a mass text from the sheriff telling everyone to get right with God and stock up on guns. Also, something about Syrian Refugees.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

What? These a part of the bible where after a city falls the kill all the adult men and sell most of the women and children into slavery or taken as wives, what bible are you reading? Being a bible literalist would mean being pretty drat violent even if you exclude the old testament

the second half, which many evangelists believe supercedes the first

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

My mom, who lives in Geneva County, AL, just got a mass text from the sheriff telling everyone to get right with God and stock up on guns. Also, something about Syrian Refugees.

The sheriff doing that means they truly fear President Obama intends to violate the Constitution during his speech. I seriously doubt Obama will do a drat thing about guns.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Is this typical behavior by the sheriff or has he completely lost his poo poo over ISIS and Obama's speech tonight?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

The sheriff doing that means they truly fear President Obama intends to violate the Constitution during his speech. I seriously doubt Obama will do a drat thing about guns.

Not stopping people from freaking out. I'd like to see a ban on all arms that weren't available when the constitution was written. You can have as many muzzle loaders as you'd like good sir!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

computer parts posted:

I don't really know how you got that from the article. What it's saying is that the meme here about poor rural people voting against their own interests is incorrect. Rather, it's that the only people voting are the already rich in the area. For your hypothesis to be correct you'd have to show that these rich people were actually brought out of poverty and directly benefited from social services (and obviously at some level they did but some levels are more of a reach than others).

The side effect of continued urbanization is a disinterest in the rural vote. Even here, the general strategy is basically "wait until they die out".

From the same article

quote:

Meanwhile, researchers such as Kathryn Edin, of Johns Hopkins University, found a tendency by many Americans in the second lowest quintile of the income ladder — the working or lower-middle class — to dissociate themselves from those at the bottom, where many once resided. “There’s this virulent social distancing — suddenly, you’re a worker and anyone who is not a worker is a bad person,” said Professor Edin. “They’re playing to the middle fifth and saying, ‘I’m not those people.’ ”

As far as folk, particularly liberals, moving back into cities doesn't that screw us in a form of natural gerrymandering which would make potential rural blue districts even more valuable?

This is the best news all year.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

As long as they don't back a specific candidate or speak for or against a specific candidate's policies they keep their tax-exempt status.

While they are remarkably even handed in some areas (the Bernie speech) the university leadership has in the past been quite outspoken in criticizing policies and politicians on the left. In this speech for example he said "It just blows my mind that the president of the United States [says] that the answer to circumstances like that is more gun control”. Now unless the IRS is operating on a looser version of the Senate's "my friend from [state] is an idiot" style technicalities or that Obama is somehow no longer considered a candidate under IRS rules that seems pretty blatant.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

While they are remarkably even handed in some areas (the Bernie speech) the university leadership has in the past been quite outspoken in criticizing policies and politicians on the left. In this speech for example he said "It just blows my mind that the president of the United States [says] that the answer to circumstances like that is more gun control”. Now unless the IRS is operating on a looser version of the Senate's "my friend from [state] is an idiot" style technicalities or that Obama is somehow no longer considered a candidate under IRS rules that seems pretty blatant.

Actually, the massive political loophole for 501(c)(3) organizations is that you can advocate certain positions (such as "Only a retard would ban guns"), but you can't advocate/campaign for specific candidates. So as long as they don't openly advocate voting for Bob Smith (R - Bumfuck), they're pretty much golden (and even if they do the IRS is gunshy about enforcing the rules given stripped funding, litigation, etc).

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 6, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Mass text to everyone on what list?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Accretionist posted:

If some southern Sheriff has taken over the reverse-911 or amber alert system to broadcast right wing propaganda then that would be pretty funny.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Is this typical behavior by the sheriff or has he completely lost his poo poo over ISIS and Obama's speech tonight?

The only mass texts she's ever gotten from anyone in the county government before was about rough weather or missing people. So yeah, it's gotta be the fact that Obama's gonna declare All Guns Illegal tonight on live TV.

Accretionist posted:

It's supposed to be just updates to anyone who wants to be kept up to date on County business; etc.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The only mass texts she's ever gotten from anyone in the county government before was about rough weather or missing people. So yeah, it's gotta be the fact that Obama's gonna declare All Guns Illegal tonight on live TV.

It's supposed to be just updates to anyone who wants to be kept up to date on County business; etc.

I think I found the text, via twitter:

quote:

************ATTENTION IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF****************

Citizens of Geneva County

Today we live in a troubling world. A world where the majority of our elected officials are too busy making decisions for us without asking us what we want.

We have taken God out of our lives and are more worried about what is politically correct than what is morally right.

We aren’t in Mayberry anymore. Andy Griffith’s time has passed; even though it would be great to have that time back. If we don’t pay attention to what is going on around us, get involved in our children’s lives, then we don’t have a chance.

Overall you have a very dedicated group of law enforcement officers in this county. We may not be perfect, but we do the best we can with what little we have.

The court system is hindered by those who have decided we don’t need to send criminals to prison, and that we need to release the ones we have in there. They say we have to raise taxes to build more prisons; and no one wants to pay more taxes because we don’t trust what those politicians will do with those taxes.

If you take into account all full time certified Law Enforcement officers; state, county and city in this county, it would equal to one officer for about 550 people. The officers are never all on duty at the same time so most of the time it is 1 per every 1000.

I tell you this so you will understand that as the Sheriff of Geneva County, I urge all Law Abiding citizens if you can LAWFULLY carry a weapon, do so.

Do not allow you or someone you love to become a victim.

I believe all good Law Abiding Citizens should have a firearm, ammunition and be proficient in its use.

God Bless

Tony Helms
Sheriff of Geneva County

So is this just the sheriff editorializing to a captive audience via reverse 911 or is he subtly giving the good ol' boys in the county the green light to take matters into their own hands?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
"we do the best we can with what little we have", he shouted from the top of his tank. the drones circling the sky agreed.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So is this just the sheriff editorializing to a captive audience via reverse 911 or is he subtly giving the good ol' boys in the county the green light to take matters into their own hands?

Yeah, that's it. Tony Helms is the sheriff. I guess my mom exaggerated about it mentioning Syrian refugees. Though, I do enjoy the Mayberry reference. What a ridiculous thing to send to everyone.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I'd be pissed if the Sheriff was blowing up my phone with line after line of crazy police state bullshit

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Sheriff is most of the time a elected position so any poo poo head can obtain the office so that makes sense.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This is some serious unfocused grandpa facebook rant bullshit

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Andy Griffith was a diehard Democrat and I believe he endorsed Obama during the 2008 primaries.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
He did a political ad with Ron Howard for Obama.

Sorry it's Liveleak:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=22b_1224802621

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Andy Griffith was a diehard Democrat and I believe he endorsed Obama during the 2008 primaries.

Even got Ron Howard to reprise his role for their endorsement.

edit: Stay safe Hollismason ghost.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Might be worth seeing if the ACLU knows about that.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ThirdPartyView posted:

According to Section 501(c)(3), that's not correct:

Yeah, but Joementum's right in practice. The IRS may have settled a suit claiming they haven't enforced that stipulation, but they still aren't enforcing it (thanks in part to the debacle over tea party groups getting investigated) and that restriction's days are very probably numbered as soon as the IRS actually does enforce it. I unfortunately agree that that provision probably wouldn't pass strict scrutiny, so as soon as it goes to court, it's probably done.

EDIT: To be specific, I think that the "substantial governmental interest" test would be the hardest one for that provision to meet.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 6, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So dude sends out 10 SMSes when he could have gotten away with one?

quote:

WE ARE UNABLE TO PROTECT YOU
ARM YOURSELVES

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah, but Joementum's right in practice. The IRS may have settled a suit claiming they haven't enforced that stipulation, but they still aren't enforcing it (thanks in part to the debacle over tea party groups getting investigated) and that restriction's days are very probably numbered as soon as the IRS actually does enforce it. I unfortunately agree that that provision probably wouldn't pass strict scrutiny, so as soon as it goes to court, it's probably done.

EDIT: To be specific, I think that the "substantial governmental interest" test would be the hardest one for that provision to meet.

Also ads about someone's character, who is also running for office, doesn't count as political unless you "vote for/against candidate X."

So an ad saying "Hillary Clinton will destroy America" or "Trump will make America Great Again" doesn't count as a political ad if a non-profit toes the line.

Mickey Mental
May 18, 2008
Hmmmm....

quote:

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- An upstate New York sheriff is urging residents of his county who are licensed gun owners to arm themselves when they leave home, citing recent mass shootings in the United States and Paris.
http://www.fox5ny.com/news/55562594-story

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hollismason posted:

He did a political ad with Ron Howard for Obama.

Sorry it's Liveleak:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=22b_1224802621

"Change to allow us to trust our government again."

Yeah, that video of the dismembered corpse of a beautiful idea definitely belongs on Liveleak

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Article's a little old but...

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/opinion/sunday/who-turned-my-blue-state-red.html?_r=1&referer=

I can't tell you have many conservatives who I know have used government aid in the past I've heard base their entire political philosophy off of disdain for some anecdotal (likely bullshit) story about some lazy rear end in a top hat abusing the system. If this article can be believed that's not just a trend I noticed but the natural political evolution in lovely rural regions. If the government aid they received worked, pulling them out of poverty, they turn around and look at the people currently using it saying "I can't believe my tax dollars are paying for these lazy bums."

So after accounting for misinformation, the death of American unions, and general dissatisfaction with politics leading to disengagement is there anyway for the dems to reclaim rural voters who depend on the government to live?

This example is especially good because not only is she where she is because of government aid, but without government aid her place of employment likely wouldn't exist

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Wonder if the map of counties where sheriffs do this is going to be as filled in as the "governors who blocked Syrians" map

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Phone posting so I can't post it, but Dyed's father gave an interview with a Italian paper La Stampa which was translated by the Times of Israel.

In it the father admitted he knew his son followed and supported ISIS' leader ideology and became 'obsessive' about Israel.

He also said that he tried to calm his son down by telling him that he shouldn't worry about Israel because the world powers would not want the Jews there anymore and move them.

I found the the article which the text confirms so it's more than laughing it off as slander by the Times of Israel.

Under this context it's harder to feel sympathy for this family with their repeated pleas of ignorance. Also his father sounds like a class act. Now it makes more sense as to why they picked their sandy hook truther lawyer.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
How credible of a newspaper is La Stampa?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

The Larch posted:

How credible of a newspaper is La Stampa?

No clue, it'd be great for goon confirmation as I do not know Italian papers so it very well may be a satirical site.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

No clue, it'd be great for goon confirmation as I do not know Italian papers so it very well may be a satirical site.

No, it's a legit paper.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Phone posting so I can't post it, but Dyed's father gave an interview with a Italian paper La Stampa which was translated by the Times of Israel.

In it the father admitted he knew his son followed and supported ISIS' leader ideology and became 'obsessive' about Israel.

He also said that he tried to calm his son down by telling him that he shouldn't worry about Israel because the world powers would not want the Jews there anymore and move them.

I found the the article which the text confirms so it's more than laughing it off as slander by the Times of Israel.

Under this context it's harder to feel sympathy for this family with their repeated pleas of ignorance. Also his father sounds like a class act. Now it makes more sense as to why they picked their sandy hook truther lawyer.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/san-bernardino-shooters-dad-he-was-obsessed-with-israel/
pretty much. I can believe some of the family dont know. I would like the think the Kojima glasses brother from the press conference didnt know. But its starting to sound like the dad and a few others did or least sorta did. what has the sandy hook lawyer even said so far? i saw some parts about how they dont believe the goverment that this was a terror attack.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Here's an emotional article about one of the 16 year old survivors of the Oregon community college shooting that happened recently. It really just has to be read. Quoting and bolding chunks will do it no justice.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

A Bag of Milk posted:

Here's an emotional article about one of the 16 year old survivors of the Oregon community college shooting that happened recently. It really just has to be read. Quoting and bolding chunks will do it no justice.

Thank you for sharing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

I read the first two paragraphs and started crying. I'll have to finish this later, because I need to prepare myself. I cannot imagine how terrible it must be to go through such an experience.

I'd also like to thank you for sharing this.

• Locked thread