Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

Am going to Ohanna for my B-day dinner on Monday

Can't contain excitement

:D

My favorite! I always regret afterwards, but then I go literally every trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Ohana is the poo poo. It's like a Brazilian steak house and a Chinese place had a kid that serves pineapples filled with everclear.

That said, Hoop Dee Doo still takes the award for our every trip best dinner.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

We did the Lilo and Stitch breakfast at Ohana. Food was great. My son ate ALL the bacon they had. Not just a lot of bacon. ALL THE BACON. POG juice is fantastic. The little bread basket with pastries and pineapple bread was really good too. We enjoyed the character interaction as well.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

couldcareless posted:

Ohana is the poo poo. It's like a Brazilian steak house and a Chinese place had a kid that serves pineapples filled with everclear.

That right there seals the deal.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Alligator Bayou is pretty sweet

not blue enough though

DiveQuest at Epcot tonight. Ohanna Monday night. Lots in between :D

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I should be allowed to dast pass this drink line

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Girlfriend and I arrive today. She is expecting to go to the Avis counter and head north to visit my family. Will hopefully be v. excited to get on the magic express and go to Animal Kingdom instead.

This thread has been super helpful, as DIsney is her thing far moreso than mine. If anyone needs anything purchased at one of the parks for Christmas gifts or w/e, PM me and I'll do my best to find it and mail it to you for cost + shipping.

Thanks for all the useful information!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
10 more days :woop:

I booked for Ohana after reading your guys impressions and then finding that there is all you can eat (?) potstickers.

Originally I had a restaurant for Teppan Edo, as we don't have hibachis in northern new england, but cancelled it for Ohana. Now that I know I can afford both, do you guys think Teppan Edo is worth going to? I really wanted to go to Biergarten but my girlfriend is super awkward and I know if we sat with random people she would be quieter than a mouse.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle went up and goofed hard. He thought his wife bought the memory maker, while she thought he bought it(i thought this only happened in movies) and when they came back to download it were they disappointed. Now they asked me, which I don't know the answer to, so I'm asking here; Can they get the pictures by buying the memory maker after the trip or is it only before?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Abu Dave posted:

I booked for Ohana after reading your guys impressions and then finding that there is all you can eat (?) potstickers.

Originally I had a restaurant for Teppan Edo, as we don't have hibachis in northern new england, but cancelled it for Ohana. Now that I know I can afford both, do you guys think Teppan Edo is worth going to? I really wanted to go to Biergarten but my girlfriend is super awkward and I know if we sat with random people she would be quieter than a mouse.

I never remember feeling awkward at biergarten so either people's opinions of it are really overblown or I was just really drunk. Could be both.
We have a lot of hibachi places back at home but we did Teppan Edo one trip and it was a solid hibachi performance but nothing mind blowing. I don't think you can go wrong with either decision because in your case both of them give you a hard to find experience.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Quixotic1 posted:

Uncle went up and goofed hard. He thought his wife bought the memory maker, while she thought he bought it(i thought this only happened in movies) and when they came back to download it were they disappointed. Now they asked me, which I don't know the answer to, so I'm asking here; Can they get the pictures by buying the memory maker after the trip or is it only before?

You can buy it at any time up to 45 days after the trip. It's tied to the MDE account.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Last time I went to the garten I asked if they could seat me at a corner cause I'm left handed, they must have amused me by granting my request so you could try that next time so your girlfriend wouldn't be between people. Also I found people tended to lean towards their own party, just think of it as elementary school all over again, except without the food fights and the thieving of chocolate milk or the ice cream.

Happitoo posted:

You can buy it at any time up to 45 days after the trip. It's tied to the MDE account.

Thanks for the help. I wonder what would happen if I took his band to the park next week and used it for the photos; Want to catch the last of the Osborne Lights.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

couldcareless posted:

I never remember feeling awkward at biergarten so either people's opinions of it are really overblown or I was just really drunk. Could be both.
We have a lot of hibachi places back at home but we did Teppan Edo one trip and it was a solid hibachi performance but nothing mind blowing. I don't think you can go wrong with either decision because in your case both of them give you a hard to find experience.

We ate at Teppan Edo for lunch on our Epcot day, "solid" is a great descriptor. One thing I will say though is that their beef rice side that comes with the meal is loving amazing. My fiance didn't like his that much, so I ate both bowls. :btroll: I would possibly go back for that alone.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The photopass service is free to all guests so not having Memory Maker doesn't stop you from being able to take photos. You just purchase the ones you like.

There aren't any photos that you have to have memory maker before your vacation to get. You just miss out on the $30 discount for buying it 3 days before your vacation.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skutter posted:

We ate at Teppan Edo for lunch on our Epcot day, "solid" is a great descriptor. One thing I will say though is that their beef rice side that comes with the meal is loving amazing. My fiance didn't like his that much, so I ate both bowls. :btroll: I would possibly go back for that alone.

Hmmm this makes me excited I should get another res.

I don't know, i'm very fickle. I'm excited for Ohana either way as everyone says its amazing nad it took 3 months to get a reservation.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, we got upgraded to club level. This is a two bed two and a half bath suite. Bigger than my apartment. With giraffes.

How the poo poo did that happen?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Holy poo poo, we got upgraded to club level. This is a two bed two and a half bath suite. Bigger than my apartment. With giraffes.

How the poo poo did that happen?

I do apologise, sir, we did that in error. I'm just making the corrections now.

*clackclackclack*

You are now back in the wet/dry vac cupboard. Enjoy yourstay! :)

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Anyone know where i can find transcripts of the monorail spiels? I've only found a couple, and they're very old. Like, 1999.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Def going to make this a yearly trip.

I turn 30 in 2.5 hours. Not a bad place to do it

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Anyone know where i can find transcripts of the monorail spiels? I've only found a couple, and they're very old. Like, 1999.

Wasn't able to find any transcipts, but there are sites that can download the closed captioning for youtube videos for you. Only problem is you will have to delete the time stamps and correct the wrong words. Or maybe hire a mechanical turk to do the transcripts.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Is it possible to add people to fast passes or ADRs? My wife and I are taking our kid to WDW in Feb and both sets of grandparents are coming too. Wife made ADRs and chose FPs last week, and now GPs want on board with some of them too. Can they be added somehow, or are we just out of luck unless we cancel and try to redo it as a group? I don't want to lose the decent ADRs we ended up with. :(

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Loucks posted:

Is it possible to add people to fast passes or ADRs? My wife and I are taking our kid to WDW in Feb and both sets of grandparents are coming too. Wife made ADRs and chose FPs last week, and now GPs want on board with some of them too. Can they be added somehow, or are we just out of luck unless we cancel and try to redo it as a group? I don't want to lose the decent ADRs we ended up with. :(

It's not always possible, but if you can get FPs for overlapping times then you can still ride as a group. It's actually easier to get coveted times by dividing up your large group into two or more smaller groups. For example, if there are 4 slots available for 12:10-1:10 and 3 slots available for 12:30-1:30, you put the grandparents in the 12:10-1:10 slots and you and your wife and kid in the 12:30-1:30 slots. If your whole group shows up between 12:30 and 1:10, that's within everyone's time window and you'll all get to ride together.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Sure, and we've done that before. I think they're more worried about the dining issue. It doesn't do us any good to have separate ADRs for similar times if we want to eat together.

That said, I'm sure tables for seven are tough to come by. Where would you people take a large group like that, bearing in mind there is a four year old in the mix?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Restaurant Marrakesh is not only my favorite sit-down restaurant in all of Disney, but you also rarely need a reservation, especially if you're willing to eat a bit late.

Last time I was at Epcot, the crowd level was around 5/10. We had an 8:15pm ADR at Marrakesh. When we arrived, there were only two other tables occupied. By the time Illuminations started, I think we were the only ones in the (very large) dining hall.

I don't know how this will work with a 4-year-old, but they do have live music and belly dancers at dinner time. And pretty much all Disney restaurants have a kid-friendly menu - we noticed the kids at one of the other tables eating decidedly American food (I saw french fries, and maybe a burger or chicken fingers?).

You can also usually get in at the moderate-level resort restaurants, since none of them are popular enough to draw people who weren't already staying there. I got an ADR for a table of four at Maya Grill two days out from my trip, and it wasn't crowded. Food wasn't spectacular, but if you're doing this last minute, your options are limited.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Loucks posted:

Sure, and we've done that before. I think they're more worried about the dining issue. It doesn't do us any good to have separate ADRs for similar times if we want to eat together.

That said, I'm sure tables for seven are tough to come by. Where would you people take a large group like that, bearing in mind there is a four year old in the mix?

Disney was surprisingly accommodating when we went earlier this year. Many of our ADR's were for 11 people total with 4 children under 5 yrs old. A couple restaurants we had to split up into groups of 5 and 6 but it really wasn't much of an issue.

The kids weren't a problem at dining believe it or not. We did a fair bit of character dining and buffets so between the theming of the restaurant and characters, and not waiting for food it went pretty smoothly. It helped they were super hungry usually as well.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Marrakesh is happening this time. We skipped it last time and I regretted it.

We have a breakfast ADR at Ohana. Should we consider a dinner too? We'll have five full days and two half days due to favorable flight availability.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Loucks posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Marrakesh is happening this time. We skipped it last time and I regretted it.

We have a breakfast ADR at Ohana. Should we consider a dinner too?
YES! Absolutely. It's a completely different experience. Remember when I said Marrakesh is my favorite Disney restaurant? Ohana (at dinner) is a close second.

Dinner reservations can be hard to score unless you're still a few months out, but if you keep trying you'll probably luck into someone else's cancellation.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
touringplans has a alert system still if you want to use a reservation finder.

How is Marrakesh in the spice catergory? GF doesn't like spicy food but i'd love to try some of it :(

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Abu Dave posted:

touringplans has a alert system still if you want to use a reservation finder.

How is Marrakesh in the spice catergory? GF doesn't like spicy food but i'd love to try some of it :(
I didn't find it to be particularly spicy at all. Probably on the level of a mild curry at am Indian place. I'm sure if you tell the waiter you don't like spicy, they'll recommend or accommodate.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
this thread still exists. good. in BBS Disney news, since my last post I'm a full time status-ed cast member now, so that's rad.

in Disney world news: Star Wars Launch Bay is really goddamn cool. two structured meet and greets featuring TALKING characters (or growling in the case of of Chewbacca) as well as an more freestyle meet with Jawas and Greedo in a Cantina themed area. The props and stuff is really a neat addition, and I love the overall feel of the place. Its strange that it's not the Animation Courtyard anymore, but now it has stormtroopers patrolling the stroller parking area, which makes up for that

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does it have fastpasses or are lines pretty manageable?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Loved the star wars launch bay, but wasnt willing to wait 50 mins to meet Darth or Chewie.

And honestly. I found Ohanna a bit meh. Way too much food. Holy crap. So much must go to waste. Got seated 25 mins after my res. And the ... desk check-in person ruined my birthday surprise :[
But the food was EXTREMELY good.

Will post a proper trip report later.

Booked a bounceback for Sept. Already have plans for how to do it better

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just found out my friend got his dates wrong and we do have some holiday overlap. Planning to get off the plane next Thursday (get stuck in LA traffic), and straight onto sunset front row Screamin' :3:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Abu Dave posted:

Does it have fastpasses or are lines pretty manageable?

The meet and greets with Vader and Chewbacca have fastpass lines and entry points set up, but are not currently in use. The entrance to the whole attraction also has a fastpass entry area, which I assume will allow people to skip the movie and go right to the exhibits. (Currently you have a choice)

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
A PSA: dudley do rights ripsaw falls might look like just another log ride. You might think that you will only get about as wet as you do on Splash.

But no. Nnnnoooo it is a relentless downpour of water. Unending and unyielding.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That's still open? I thought they knocked it over after it kept breaking people's tailbones on the drop.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget the fires..

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's still open? I thought they knocked it over after it kept breaking people's tailbones on the drop.

The short little hill at the end was removed, so now it goes down a steep drop, up again into the explosives shack, and then down into the final splashdown.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Random thoughts while I wait to meet with my advisor:

The Spiderman ride is pretty dope. I cant believe its from 1999.

That being said, the Transformers ride is exactly the same.... which is fine, but I was expecting something a little different. And the Gringotts ride is also really similar. They all just move you in front of a screen, stop, play a thing, shake the car, etc etc lather, rinse repeat.

Spidey and Transformers had more action bits, but Gringotts.... idk. I was expecting it to be on par with Forbidden Journey

Dinosaur is such poo compared to Indiana Jones at D-land.

The Mexico ride at Epcot is crazy. I had no idea what was going on. Thank god I was mostly sober. I can't imagine how crazy that ride is while drunk

Morocco does not light up during Illuminations :[

I thought tower of terror was behind Morocco and was themed accordingly, but I couldn't see it.

There are parts of future world that are really really dark. Like.. difficult to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BlueBayou posted:

Random thoughts while I wait to meet with my advisor:

The Spiderman ride is pretty dope. I cant believe its from 1999.

Well, it's mostly not from 1999 now. It was shut down and reopened in March 2012 with a whole new ride film and some changed sounds and music.

quote:

I thought tower of terror was behind Morocco and was themed accordingly, but I couldn't see it.

Well, at least the correct park is near Epcot...