Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

I still never understood the "but it's good at killing trash!" logic behind demo and commando for that very reason. Demo at least has some utility because he can take out Fleshpounds easily, and maybe groups of zeds (but it's essentially just a race to see who can kill everything first with so many classes being good at crowd control). Now that gunslinger is here to literally one-shot just about everything that commandos excelled at killing and almost being able to solo large zeds, it only casts an even more glaring light on the issue of how unhelpful a commando is to the team when there's simply just better options.

When you look at class distribution in teams, you look at what's missing and think, "No demo? Fleshpounds are going to be an issue," or "They don't have a medic, they're going to have problems with health." When there's a support, you think "Oh, that's going to make damage dealing easier. Especially if he shares ammo." I don't think anyone has ever thought "Oh man, we don't have a commando, now who's going to kill trash?" or "Thank goodness, a commando! Now I won't have to worry about stalkers!"

Wasn't this the issue with Commando in KF1 as well? I don't think I ever actually leveled up the class in 1, cause there was no real need to.

Also, there's a real big bug in the game - every time there is a 9mm laying on the floor to pick up, picking it up (even if you have space) instead of giving you akimbo 9mm, removes your 9mm from your inventory. I wish I didn't have to clean stuff from Steam due to it not starting or I'd have a screenshot. But it didn't only happen to me, several other people on servers I played on yesterday reported the same thing.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Kikas posted:

Wasn't this the issue with Commando in KF1 as well? I don't think I ever actually leveled up the class in 1, cause there was no real need to.

no

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

I may have mentioned this the last time "commando is hosed" came up, but what about making it something of a leader/team-buff role? Like, right now it has Call Out and the ability to see enemy health, which allows a Commando to let his teammates see Stalkers as well as gives the player a way to help his team coordinate by telling them if, for instance, a FP is near death and maybe should be focused on. Hell, maybe make a skill in his tree that gives other players the ability to see health, but only at a closer distance?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Here's a trick for gunslinging: 9mm headshots build Rack 'Em Up damage, so you can plink away at big zeds until your meter is full then unload on them with your big guns. You can kill usually melt scrakes before they're done stumbling from your first 500 hit and kill fleshpounds before they're done with their aggro animation on 6-man suicidal this way.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

I may have mentioned this the last time "commando is hosed" came up, but what about making it something of a leader/team-buff role? Like, right now it has Call Out and the ability to see enemy health, which allows a Commando to let his teammates see Stalkers as well as gives the player a way to help his team coordinate by telling them if, for instance, a FP is near death and maybe should be focused on. Hell, maybe make a skill in his tree that gives other players the ability to see health, but only at a closer distance?

Commando could always see enemy health and Stalkers. Granted, allowing your team mates to see Stalkers is new, but in KF 1 they were hardly difficult to pick out. A common request I had when levelling was asking people to leave Stalkers to me.

I think a lot of people don't seem to get that classes like Firebug and Commando are necessary because they allows them to conserve ammo for the big zeds. I'm sure the people who exclusively play on solo or with less than three or four people will disagree with me, but gently caress them. The game balances based on difficulty and amount of people and four person HoE might as well be Normal.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
My main issue with commando is twofold: 1, seeing enemy HP only matters against Fleshpounds, Scrakes, and Bosses and the Commando is very bad at fighting those, and 2, the firebug reveals stalkers just as well but in a significantly more bad-rear end way by just igniting the entire horde. Seeing enemy HP is kinda nice but at the end of the day it isn't as helpful as being able to just kill them in the first place, and the firebug is better at clearing trash and revealing stalkers by way of lighting 'em all up.

I like commando's idea of being a support character who makes everyone else better but right now they are not there at all.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Here's another little change I found: Scully can now wear his cap and headphones together. :toot:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Require More Fire posted:

Here's another little change I found: Scully can now wear his cap and headphones together. :toot:

He always could do that.

Also my first cosmetic to drop was a black ski mask. As a side note, I don't know how common item drops are but they seem incredibly rare. But on a relevant, more awesome note, I found out that Classic Briar is the only character who can wear an accessory on top of his ski mask, and it's the police helmet so you look like the original KF1 Briar.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Theta Zero posted:

He always could do that.

Also my first cosmetic to drop was a black ski mask. As a side note, I don't know how common item drops are but they seem incredibly rare. But on a relevant, more awesome note, I found out that Classic Briar is the only character who can wear an accessory on top of his ski mask, and it's the police helmet so you look like the original KF1 Briar.

I've only ever gotten one drop and it was a crate which I promptly got rid of.

I've been seeing a ton of white caps and banadanas and balaclavas though. Wish we had some idea of the drop rate because right now it kinda sucks rear end for me.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Skoll posted:

Commando could always see enemy health and Stalkers. Granted, allowing your team mates to see Stalkers is new, but in KF 1 they were hardly difficult to pick out. A common request I had when levelling was asking people to leave Stalkers to me.

I think a lot of people don't seem to get that classes like Firebug and Commando are necessary because they allows them to conserve ammo for the big zeds. I'm sure the people who exclusively play on solo or with less than three or four people will disagree with me, but gently caress them. The game balances based on difficulty and amount of people and four person HoE might as well be Normal.

yeah this plus he can take out trash mid tier ZEDS better from range than Firebug or even Gunslinger. Also play style. Commando's ability to switch between one taps, burst and full auto depending on the gun makes him a more tactical play style.
Also his guns are relatively light so he can pick up more weapons and mix up off perk weapons easier than other perks.

Commando is the guy that keeps you from getting swarmed by the lesser ZEDS when the big guys show up and everyone else focuses on them. He has a vital role to play.

Also did I mention extended ZED time? this is huge.

She Bangs the Drums fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 6, 2015

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Bug report: when switching from dual M500s to another weapon, it sometimes automatically fires off an alt-fire attack. When switching to the microwave gun, it fires the alt-attack before you can start shooting, and when switching to the zweihander, you're stuck in parry mode until manually changing weapons again.

If it matters, I was using the magnums off perk as firebug and berserker, respectively. Also was using the 'last weapon used hotkey' to swap if that makes any difference.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you slightly upped commandos' ability to deal the the big guys somehow, they'd be a very effective all-rounder that would always have a place on a team without filling a niche. Slight stagger/slow effect oh hitting them, maybe? You'd keep the raging scrakes/fps from hitting your and your allies for a tiny bit longer, which wod give you more time to pour fire into them. Or playing into the "leader" idea, the last target hit by a commando takes extra damage for a few seconds? Nothing major, but I wouldn't mind a versatile jack-of-all-trades class and commando seems to be the closest.

E: so basically, commando clears out trash at range, then helps the team focus on the big threats when they close. But trying to hit the bigger guys at a distance would just trigger rage so they'd have to be judicious with who and when they shoot.

Vvvv not currently effective enough to justify their weaker power at the moment. IMO. They're okay, but need a little something and I don't know what.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 6, 2015

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Ravenfood posted:

If you slightly upped commandos' ability to deal the the big guys somehow, they'd be a very effective all-rounder that would always have a place on a team without filling a niche. Slight stagger/slow effect oh hitting them, maybe? You'd keep the raging scrakes/fps from hitting your and your allies for a tiny bit longer, which wod give you more time to pour fire into them. Or playing into the "leader" idea, the last target hit by a commando takes extra damage for a few seconds? Nothing major, but I wouldn't mind a versatile jack-of-all-trades class and commando seems to be the closest.

Commando already has a stumble Skill, Impact (level 10), Which i use a lot just like you described.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

have u considered giving the commando recoil reduction

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
What if Commando could store a zed time after a certain amount of kills or something? Then just whip it out when there's a big guy or a huge group and get easy headshots.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Ruggington posted:

this please

Questioner?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

She Bangs the Drums posted:

this please

Questioner?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I feel like Commando deals with basic and mid tier zeds more efficiently than any other class. It's niche seems to be ammo conservation for the whole group.

The problem is that this presupposes the group is content to stop killing zombies for ten seconds and that seems like a pretty big oversight.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ruggington posted:

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

revolver twirling

This is cool, good, and excellent, but it seems that you can't indefinitely twirl your revolvers if you hold down the reload button. Questioner, please report this as a high-priority issue, thanks in advance

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Rack em Up is such an amazing skill it made me weep tears of joy when I maxed it then downed 2 Fleshpounds all by my lonesome.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Hi friends,

The perk "Explosive Resistance" for the demoman has an unclear description. It says you and your teammates get "30% damage resistance." Is the word "explosive" just flavor text? Or is the description unclear?

I'm sure the perk only applies to explosive damage but I wanted to double check and make sure it isn't all damage.

Thanks and I love you.

VVV thank you :)

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 6, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Liquid Penguins posted:

Hi friends,

The perk "Explosive Resistance" for the demoman has an unclear description. It says you and your teammates get "30% damage resistance." Is the word "explosive" just flavor text? Or is the description unclear?

I'm sure the perk only applies to explosive damage but I wanted to double check and make sure it isn't all damage.

Thanks and I love you.

Nope. It's straight up just explosive resistance. Just a general 30% damage reduction would make Demo too useful.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Holy poo poo, the 9mm sounds even worse than people made me expect. It sounds like someone's shooting a capgun in a trashcan.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
It sounds like someone rapping their knuckles on a hardwood table.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Holy poo poo, the 9mm sounds even worse than people made me expect. It sounds like someone's shooting a capgun in a trashcan.
Is there any reason it was changed? it legit sounds poo poo and I dunno how anyone thought this was an improvement.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Flipswitch posted:

Is there any reason it was changed? it legit sounds poo poo and I dunno how anyone thought this was an improvement.

Probably just aesthetic choice. Although for some reason both the 1911s and the 9mm both use the old 9mm pistol noise when you listen to other people using them.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I have one issue with gunslinger, didn't buying a second gun in the first game give you something like 50% extra ammo for the gun? I'm sure I remember buying two hand cannons, to get the extra ammo, then just using one to make it easier to aim..

Either way it seems that I'm almost always on my last few bullets as the end of the round comes. I guess I just need to carry more guns. Also I highly recommend at the end of the first wave doing whatever you can so you can buy a single desert eagle, you can oneshot everything for the next few waves without even trying to headshot. This is on normal, but then I'm only playing as a level..4 gunslinger at this point. It's a shame though, there always seems to be a weapon on every class that straight up gets ignored. looks like it's the 1911s for gunslinger.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

I found this on TW forums

quote:

Our sound engineer killed himself this update to get pistol sounds right. Maybe you don't agree with the 9mm, as one who often darkened his doorstep with .. ahem.. feedback.. I can take or leave it.

But wait 'till you hear the Desert Eagle, 1858 and 500 magnum, if he nailed them any harder you could hear them without a sound card.

-Curt
Lol?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

QwertySanchez posted:

Either way it seems that I'm almost always on my last few bullets as the end of the round comes. I guess I just need to carry more guns. Also I highly recommend at the end of the first wave doing whatever you can so you can buy a single desert eagle, you can oneshot everything for the next few waves without even trying to headshot. This is on normal, but then I'm only playing as a level..4 gunslinger at this point. It's a shame though, there always seems to be a weapon on every class that straight up gets ignored. looks like it's the 1911s for gunslinger.

The 1911s are fantastic with Gunslinger, especially with the level 10 skills where you can just instakill crawlers with them along with added piercing. Why would you think they would get ignored over the starting revolvers?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I honestly would not be surprised if the sound files for the 1911 and the new 9mm got corrupted or something

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
What should the commando have: Recoil reduction or Zed Time Extension?

Time extension seems like something that would go with the John Woo style cool-ness of gun slinger. So yet another reason why commando should get recoil reduction.

If commando ended up as a main quality of life improver for a team, I think that would be cool. That would give it more of a reason to be played verses firebug or gunslinger.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

get this: commando should get both

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Broose posted:

What should the commando have: Recoil reduction or Zed Time Extension?

Time extension seems like something that would go with the John Woo style cool-ness of gun slinger. So yet another reason why commando should get recoil reduction.

If commando ended up as a main quality of life improver for a team, I think that would be cool. That would give it more of a reason to be played verses firebug or gunslinger.

Gun Slinger is already perfect. It doesnt need anything else.
Let Commando have recoil reduction.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Theta Zero posted:

The 1911s are fantastic with Gunslinger, especially with the level 10 skills where you can just instakill crawlers with them along with added piercing. Why would you think they would get ignored over the starting revolvers?

Well you kinda have to do at least one wave with the starting revolvers. I guess it's just my playstyle so far. I'll try to use the 1911s more. I always go for the Deagle after the first wave if I can afford it since I can just murder everything in wave 2 with one shot from it. As you say, their time will come once I hit level 10.

I like the new 9mm gun sounds. But then I've never shot a real gun in my life.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Theta Zero posted:

Nope. It's straight up just explosive resistance. Just a general 30% damage reduction would make Demo too useful.

ftfy :v:

I bet the 9mm sound is more realistic and we're all just used to exaggerated Hollywood style gun action where every pistol sounds like a .500 and shotguns throw grown men across the room. Which is exactly how KF should be.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I legitimately like the new 9mm sound. :shrug:

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
This is probably a stupid question but I'm throwing it out because I can't figure out what's happening.

I'm playing Demolitionist today for the very first time, and the Sticks of Dynamite, how do they work? I got them to detonate a few times but I don't really know how I did. Are they on a timer? Do you have to trigger them? Is there something else that happens? They don't seem to work like any other grenades.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Libertine posted:

This is probably a stupid question but I'm throwing it out because I can't figure out what's happening.

I'm playing Demolitionist today for the very first time, and the Sticks of Dynamite, how do they work? I got them to detonate a few times but I don't really know how I did. Are they on a timer? Do you have to trigger them? Is there something else that happens? They don't seem to work like any other grenades.

They take longer to detonate. Get On Contact at level 5 and they become the best grenade in the game, with the caveat that sometimes stalkers will kill you by existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I have no issues with the 9mm sounding weak because it's the backup weapon for all perks and having your general backup weapon overshaded by everything else feels- and sound-wise is fine to me. That said, it could get a little more oomph.