Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Here's an emotional article about one of the 16 year old survivors of the Oregon community college shooting that happened recently. It really just has to be read. Quoting and bolding chunks will do it no justice.

Yeah thanks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A Bag of Milk posted:

Here's an emotional article about one of the 16 year old survivors of the Oregon community college shooting that happened recently. It really just has to be read. Quoting and bolding chunks will do it no justice.

quote:

On the second day of class she had decided she wanted to become a nurse. On the third day she had said maybe neonatal. On the fourth day she had shown up early for Writing 115 and came home utterly dependent.

Holy poo poo this is rough, but everybody absolutely must read it.

farfegnougat
Oct 31, 2004

A Bag of Milk posted:

I keep having to pause and collect myself. Hard as hell to read but worth reading. I'd send it to some fervent 2nd amendment advocates I know but not sure whether they'd take it to heart or twist it in some excitingly depressing new way.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

farfegnugent posted:

I keep having to pause and collect myself. Hard as hell to read but worth reading. I'd send it to some fervent 2nd amendment advocates I know but not sure whether they'd take it to heart or twist it in some excitingly depressing new way.

Well maybe if she was carrying...we need to lower the CCW age!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

farfegnugent posted:

They'd blame Obama for not letting everyone have guns on them at all times because if only a good person with a gun were there this wouldn't have happened.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
I hope our gun laws stay the same, and people get better access to mental healthcare. Trying to confiscate guns would trigger another civil war and is more authoritarian nonsense that D&D is always pushing.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
OK now write a Bush era article about someone who survived the Twin Towers or Pentagon with life-altering injuries. It'll be for the cause of regulations and agencies against something that's roughly as likely to end your life as a mass shooting.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

His Purple Majesty posted:

I hope our gun laws stay the same, and people get better access to mental healthcare.

Well I've got good news and bad news...

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
announcement of executive order banning all guns at 8 tonight.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

sparatuvs posted:

Wishful thinking. It's largely platitudes about how we're fighting terrorism.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

OK now write a Bush era article about someone who survived the Twin Towers or Pentagon with life-altering injuries. It'll be for the cause of regulations and agencies against something that's roughly as likely to end your life as a mass shooting.

How about you do it.

I was waiting for somebody to read this (if you even read it) and whine about it making the right wing nutjobs look bad. Guilty conscience much? It's about mental health and how horrifically people with trauma and their loved ones are failed by this country. It's about PTSD but not on a clinical level and yes, this will mimic the exact sort of aftermath that a lot of victims and their families had following 9/11

Before you say, "we need to improve mental healthcare then" make sure you also make a proposal for something to change

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

sparatuvs posted:

Also institutes single-payer healthcare and every American gets a unicorn.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

El Disco posted:

Ted Cruz to be burned at the stake.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

I hope our gun laws stay the same, and people get better access to mental healthcare. Trying to confiscate guns would trigger another civil war and is more authoritarian nonsense that D&D is always pushing.

I actually kind of agree, I don't think pushing for more gun laws is a good idea. All it does is push the right further away. Work towards something that you actually have some chance of accomplishing.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw guns forever. We begin confiscating in five minutes.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Slate Action posted:

How can I vote for this

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I didn't see this posted yet, but the field continues to write its own attack ads.

Ben Carson posted:

If people actually listened to what I have been saying, they will see that it makes perfectly good sense,” the candidate insisted. “I believe that the American people are smart enough to recognize that we’re in a very different time right now, and it’s not necessarily the one who shouts the loudest, it’s not necessarily the one who claims to have all this great experience.”

“The fact of the matter is, there’s nobody running who has a great deal of international experience except for Hillary Clinton,” he continued. “And you see where that has led.”

“So that’s not necessarily the thing that has to count, you have to look at a person’s lifetime experiences.”

And yeah, there's video.

Edit: Sorry, thought I was posting in the GOP thread.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 7, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

El Disco posted:

Oh boy I hope I get Big-E but I'll settle for Xavier or Kofi.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Slate Action posted:

Could this be the olive branch Obama needs to finally convince some of the GOP to work with him?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Yeah, this comes from Douthat who is certainly not very respected around here but I can't say I disagree with the basic premise. It's hard to imagine starting up a new prohibition and giving the criminal justice system all sorts of new people to arrest without it disproportionately affecting minorities and the poor as basically everything in the criminal justice system does.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/06/opinion/sunday/liberalisms-gun-problem.html

quote:

I suspect liberals imagine, at some level, that a Prohibition-style campaign against guns would mostly involve busting up gun shows and disarming Robert Dear-like trailer-park loners. But in practice it would probably look more like Michael Bloomberg’s controversial stop-and-frisk policy, with a counterterrorism component that ended up heavily targeting Muslim Americans. In areas where gun ownership is high but crime rates low, like Bernie Sanders’ Vermont, authorities would mostly turn a blind eye to illegal guns, while poor and minority communities bore the brunt of raids and fines and jail terms.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

The president has relied on airstrikes, financial sanctions and targeted special operations to counter the growth of the Islamic State, while building a diplomatic coalition of dozens of nations and resisting any call for the introduction of large numbers of American ground troops in the Middle East.

Despite fierce bombings, the Islamic State militants continue to occupy large swaths of the region. And a sophisticated social media campaign by the group has succeeded in helping recruit across the globe, including, officials said, in the United States.

Mr. Obama is not expected to offer a new strategy. But in the speech, the president is likely to call for a more intense effort by the coalition to counter the terror group on the ground, and a renewed attempt to find a diplomatic solution to end the civil war in Syria.
So Obama's going to try the whole "remind everyone of reality" again.

It's not going to work; he could livestream video an airstrike during the speech and it wouldn't convince Republicans that he's doing anything about ISIL.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ben Carson posted:

If people actually listened to what I have been saying, they will see that it makes perfectly good sense,” the candidate insisted.
Hmmmmmm now JUST WHERE HAVE I SEEN THIS BEFORE????????????

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Because I hate joy here is the Fox News' fanbase reaction to Jimmy Carter being declared cancer-free

I'm not sure if comment censor for Fox News' facebook page is the easiest or hardest job in the world

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is the greatest thing to ever appear in Politico

quote:

“Marco does have a water thing,” said one longtime Rubio associate who has been affiliated with his past campaigns. “I don’t know what it is. He says he just gets thirsty, but it’s clear it’s just a nervous tic. It’s something he just has to have around, like a security blanket or something.”

A spokesman for Rubio, Alex Conant, declined comment for this story, saying only that “POLITICO has lost its mind.” In a recent New Yorker profile, Rubio attributed his extraordinary need for water to unspecified allergies developed since 2011. “I said, ‘How come I’ve never had allergies before, and now, suddenly, the last four years I’ve developed allergies? And the answer the doctor gave me was: ‘Well, because you’re travelling to places that you never used to travel to before.’”

But the testimony of Rubio’s longtime associates and his 2008 speech belie this explanation, indicating that Rubio’s water tic predated his career in the United States Senate, even if it escaped notice before then.

There's more.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://news.groopspeak.com/sen-graham-goes-off-script-and-tells-the-truth-about-the-republican-party-video/

Graham went off about the GOP outreach issues yesterday.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I remember mocking Rubio's SOTU, with chocolate rain reference. I never would have thought his drinking thing would take off.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Epic High Five posted:

Because I hate joy here is the Fox News' fanbase reaction to Jimmy Carter being declared cancer-free

I'm not sure if comment censor for Fox News' facebook page is the easiest or hardest job in the world

I'm just happy that Jimmy will die in his destined manner, assassinated by a soviet robot.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

I'm just happy that Jimmy will die in his destined manner, assassinated by a soviet robot.

Just like the gypsy woman said

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

A Bag of Milk posted:

jesus christ, i legit can't read this right now

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

This is hilarious. Graham wants off the GOP's crazy ride.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Holy gently caress this is an intense moment of lucidity.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah, this comes from Douthat who is certainly not very respected around here but I can't say I disagree with the basic premise. It's hard to imagine starting up a new prohibition and giving the criminal justice system all sorts of new people to arrest without it disproportionately affecting minorities and the poor as basically everything in the criminal justice system does.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/06/opinion/sunday/liberalisms-gun-problem.html

That's a good editorial. Douthat, like Frum, can be enlightening at times. Unfortunately, neither of them speaks for political conservatives and being reasonable and sensible never wins the GOP primary. I've said this before but, the gun debate has been lost for at least the next generation of voters; at least 20 years into the future in my opinion. The Democrats need to just stay as far away from it as possible; calling for closing of the gun show loophole is as far as any Democrat should go. Democrats should just adopt a 10th Amendment strategy; no new federal laws are needed it just needs to be up to each state to decide. The argument can't be won at this point and Douthat's right, it would be almost impossible to implement a comprehensive solution; there are just too many guns already in circulation to ever make a difference.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/0...ews.google.com/

I think the thing that bothers me with this is they keep referring to him as Mr. Obama. Pretty sure you are suppose to refer to him as President Obama.

Just a weird nitpicky thing.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
President is live and so is Trump

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He said "radical" and then some words and then "Islam".

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Hollismason posted:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/0...ews.google.com/

I think the thing that bothers me with this is they keep referring to him as Mr. Obama. Pretty sure you are suppose to refer to him as President Obama.

Just a weird nitpicky thing.

That's a NYT style that they use for all presidents. I'm not entirely sure why they do it though.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Why did Obama set up a podium instead of just talking from the Resolute Desk? It looks a little weird.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

He said "radical" and then some words and then "Islam".

Mission accomplished

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Over/under on Obama laying down some crazy Patriot Act stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Silver Nitrate posted:

Over/under on Obama laying down some crazy Patriot Act stuff?

This is not how over/under works.

• Locked thread