Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Pook Good Mook posted:

Funny thing about the judge is that two things had to happen to arrest a foreign government official.

Either the US talked to the Guatamalan government and they said "go ahead." Or Loretta Lynch (or more likely Obama) said, "gently caress it, bring him in."

I was curious about the diplomatic angle too. Thing is, he wasn't coming to the US under diplomatic immunity or anything. If he was back home his government might refuse to extradite a high ranking judge (this might work? IANAL). But the dude apparently set up this vacation, and he either knew or didn't care to check that the boat would be stopping directly in the country that he did his dirty dealings in and which has been on a crusade to prosecute and extradite dudes just like him.

Seems pretty illustrative of just how long FIFA's been a kleptopia that this dragnet keeps scooping up more and more people. The crooks have been getting away with it for so long that even worldwide press coverage for over half a year about how the head of the DoJ is coming for them, personally, doesn't even seem to register :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

vyelkin posted:

Dude looks like Carlo Ancelotti

Do you believe in crisis actors, son?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Canada will still lose to Guam in the qualifiers.

It's true

Heh

Hehehehehehehe

Heh

:smith:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
loving Guatemala how to they let a judge work on the board of any organization?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

27 of FIFA's 34 sponsorship slots remain unfilled post qatargate...goons who is up for a whipround?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Argentinian FA is having a bit of a nightmare after finding their presidential election had more votes than possible voters.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Healbot posted:

The Argentinian FA is having a bit of a nightmare after finding their presidential election had more votes than possible voters.

I saw this yesterday. They have 75 members. The result of the election was 38/38.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

I saw this yesterday. They have 75 members. The result of the election was 38/38.

lmao

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MoPZiG posted:

27 of FIFA's 34 sponsorship slots remain unfilled post qatargate...goons who is up for a whipround?

Ephex could get some Hitlr billboards on the cheap

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Pook Good Mook posted:

America continues to save soccer.

Or translated into American: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esCvMOMAFf0

I got a car ad that started with a bunch of clowns driving around, this checks out.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Pook Good Mook posted:

Funny thing about the judge is that two things had to happen to arrest a foreign government official.

Either the US talked to the Guatamalan government and they said "go ahead." Or Loretta Lynch (or more likely Obama) said, "gently caress it, bring him in."

I dont think Obama is really kept in the loop on some horseshit banana republic affairs its not like we gotta keep those relations with Guatemala strong.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Thanks to the latest round of action, each of the last three CONCACAF presidents have been arrested and are under federal indictment in the United States. That's just downright impressive.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

EvilHawk posted:

That's amazing :stare:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Healbot posted:

:laffo:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BBC posted:

Fifa: FBI probing Sepp Blatter role in $100m bribery scandal

The FBI is investigating the role played by Fifa president Sepp Blatter in a $100m (£66.2m) bribes scandal, a BBC investigation has discovered.

Sports marketing company ISL paid a total of $100m to officials including former Fifa president Joao Havelange and ex-Fifa executive Ricardo Teixeira. In return, ISL was granted lucrative television and marketing rights throughout the 1990s. Blatter denied knowing about the bribes and took no action. He even allowed Teixeira to take part in the notorious vote for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Panorama reporter Andrew Jennings has seen a letter obtained by America's Federal Bureau of Investigation which casts doubt on Blatter's denial. The letter, apparently written by Havelange, talks about the payments he received from ISL. It says Blatter had "full knowledge of all activities" and was "always apprised" of them. The letter is included in an FBI request to the Swiss authorities for help with their investigation. They ask for the file of an earlier Swiss investigation into the ISL bribes and they say "among other things, the prosecutor is investigating Havelange's statements implicating Blatter". In 2010, Blatter suppressed a Swiss legal finding that both Havelange and Teixeria had received bribes from ISL. In 2013, Blatter told a Fifa ethics committee inquiry he was unaware of the bribery. He was cleared of any wrongdoing.

Blatter, who says he will stand down as head of football's world governing body in February 2016, declined to respond to any allegations put to him. The 79-year-old is currently serving a provisional 90-day suspension from Fifa and faces a hearing with the body's ethics judge in mid-December.

Damian Collins MP tells Panorama Blatter's behaviour was extraordinary. He says: "You have to ask yourself why did he seek to protect these people, and not just protect them but allow them to continue to play an active role in some of Fifa's most important decisions?" The programme also reveals new evidence about how much money the Qataris spent winning the right to host the 2022 World Cup.

Also, Lord Triesman says that multiple sources have told him that Qatar spent £117 million on their World Cup bid - multiple times what anyone else spent (6x the English FA and 12x the USSF).

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 7, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

hey edmundo, what should i do with all these ethics pamphpets fifa sent us?

yeah, they're blank on the back

oh good thinking, i forgot that was tomorrow.

yeah, I've got the paper cutter right her. how many do we need again?

hey, actually, I'll just cut up the whole stack. the secretaries can use the leftovers for scratch paper

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

EvilHawk posted:

Seems legit. In Chicago, dead voters can file by proxy.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Crazy Ted posted:

Sports marketing company ISL paid a total of $100m to officials including former Fifa president Joao Havelange and ex-Fifa executive Ricardo Teixeira. In return, ISL was granted lucrative television and marketing rights throughout the 1990s. Blatter denied knowing about the bribes and took no action. He even allowed Teixeira to take part in the notorious vote for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

I thought we're supposed to refer to them as Daesh now?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm loving this. Every time a new leak comes out it seems like we've reached the pinnacle of how high even comically exaggerated, cartoonish corruption can go. But nope, then something new comes out and turns out we weren't even out of the basement yet!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Karl Sharks posted:

I thought we're supposed to refer to them as Daesh now?

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if FIFA officials have met with Islamic State to discuss setting up an ISFA

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Platini lost the appeal against his ban :getin:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

webmeister posted:

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if FIFA officials have met with Islamic State to discuss setting up an ISFA

To do anything less would mean politicizing the sport!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The US's investigation into FIFA keeps getting bigger

quote:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A sports marketing company that was described in a sweeping indictment this month as retaining contracts because of the "support" of corrupt soccer officials has longstanding ties to the U.S. entertainment company 21st Century Fox, according to securities filings and other government documents.

The description of T&T Sports Marketing Ltd in the indictment signals that U.S. prosecutors have intensified their focus on media companies and what they might have known about any bribes, people familiar with the matter said. When prosecutors announced their corruption investigation of world soccer's governing body FIFA in May, they spoke in court papers about "an array of broadcasters and advertisers" but otherwise did not specifically address their role.

21st Century Fox listed T&T as a subsidiary last year in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Its investment in the company stretches back to 2002, government documents from the United States and Argentina showed. Fox had no operational control of T&T, a Fox spokeswoman said. She declined to comment further. Fox was not named in the indictment and was not accused of any wrongdoing. T&T was also not accused of any wrongdoing. T&T, which is registered in the Cayman Islands, does not have a listed telephone number and it was unclear if it has employees of its own.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in the New York City borough of Brooklyn, where the cases against top soccer officials and entities were brought, declined to comment. A spokeswoman for the FBI also declined to comment. The Dec. 3 indictment said three executives "affiliated" with T&T bribed at least 15 high-level soccer officials to support the company's exclusive worldwide broadcasting rights for events such as the Copa Libertadores, a major South American club tournament. The three executives were at the time with Argentine sports marketing firm Torneos y Competencias, the indictment said. One of the three executives, Alejandro Burzaco, the former chairman of Torneos, was indicted for the bribery scheme in the United States in May and pleaded guilty last month. The two others were described in the indictment as co-conspirators but not named. Torneos, a part-owner of T&T with Fox, was not charged. The 15 soccer officials have been charged, and two of them pleaded guilty last month.

The indictment does not explain how T&T benefited from retaining the broadcasting contracts. T&T is not a broadcaster itself, but by obtaining broadcasting rights, it could resell them to major broadcasters. 21st Century Fox, which is led by media baron Rupert Murdoch, ended up with the rights to broadcast the Copa Libertadores and other tournaments.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

If all we get out of this is Rupert Murdoch in supermax, I'd be ok with it

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Lamont Cranston posted:

If all we get out of this is Rupert Murdoch in supermax, I'd be ok with it

He'd have Fox News convince every Tea Partier that Obama has kicked off RaHoWa and to shoot every non-white person and government worker you can see before he ends up anywhere.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hey guys lay off Blatter, he's totally innocent. He's said so himself in a tearful letter he's written to all 209 FIFA member states.

"Soccernet posted:

Outgoing FIFA president Sepp Blatter has written to the governing body's 209 member associations protesting his innocence and criticising its ethics committee ahead of his disciplinary hearing this week.

Blatter claims the proceedings against him have been "like an inquisition."

His personal advisor Klaus Stoehlker told Press Association Sport that Blatter had written to all 209 FIFA associations.

Stoehlker said Blatter had been working on the letter on Monday and had sent it to the 209 associations because he wanted to tell them in person of his feelings about the charges.

"He has worked very hard on this letter, he is looking at this week feeling very strong in spirit,'' Stoehlker told Press Association Sport.

Man gently caress this dude.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

Hey guys lay off Blatter, he's totally innocent. He's said so himself in a tearful letter he's written to all 209 FIFA member states.

Man gently caress this dude.
"Years of strong denials always pay off in the end!" - Lance Armstrong.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

"Years of strong denials always pay off in the end!" - Lance Armstrong.

The difference is Lance Armstrong has to live with his shame for decades whereas in a few years Blatter will die peacefully in his sleep in a Russian mansion.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

The difference is Lance Armstrong has to live with his shame for decades whereas in a few years Blatter will die peacefully in his sleep in a Russian mansion.

I don't think Walking Pharmacy And Blood Bank will make it to 'decades'

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

dex_sda posted:

I don't think Walking Pharmacy And Blood Bank will make it to 'decades'

Realistically speaking he should be ok, he came in the area after the insane east germany bullshit and before the modern cancer cocktail lunacy. He might have hosed his blood chemistry to the point he needs epo therapeutically but its not like he will be one big walking cancer the way I fully expect a lot of current footballers/cyclists/tennis players to go.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Armstrong already got cancer from his doping, and he beat it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

foobardog posted:

He'd have Fox News convince every Tea Partier that Obama has kicked off RaHoWa and to shoot every non-white person and government worker you can see before he ends up anywhere.

Haha yeah definitely! monkey cheese

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/medi...-newspaper.html

Free Sepp

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2015/dec/17/sepp-blatter-nobel-peace-prize-vladimir-putin-video?CMP=share_btn_tw

Blatter did nothing wrong.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Is Putin cognizant of the fact that anyone he supports in the western world is essentially a black mark upon them and using it to his advantage?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Maxwells Demon posted:

Is Putin cognizant of the fact that anyone he supports in the western world is essentially a black mark upon them and using it to his advantage?

I don't think Putin is trying to shake up a corrupt organization that recently gave him a big political victory, no. Remember the Sochi Olympics? They were the most expensive Olympics ever, because this big prestigious event gave Putin an excuse to funnel tons of money to his cronies, in the form of construction bids and other big contracts. These kickbacks are a great tool in allowing him and his buddies to stay in power. The 2018 Cup will give him another chance to turn on the ruble spigots, so I don't know why he would be making some calculated move to try and turn up the heat on Blatter or anyone else who may have had a hand in the 2018 bid victory.

And aside from the graft, big events like this are a way for politicians to tell their population how great of a leader they are, how great of a country we are, and so on. So of course a corrupt authoritarian leader of a middling country like Russia can use this to their advantage. They can try to reinforce the support they already have, and try to win over skeptics as well.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Figueredo has been granted his extradition to Uruguay and now Rafael Esquivel is also trying to get extradited to Venezuela because he knows he'll be able to do whatever the gently caress he wants here

shame on the US and the Swiss

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

El Hefe posted:

Figueredo has been granted his extradition to Uruguay and now Rafael Esquivel is also trying to get extradited to Venezuela because he knows he'll be able to do whatever the gently caress he wants here

I guarantee you he only got extradition because he rolled on someone higher than him.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Also he's more likely than most to return if they need him to testify given that he's a pretty easy to find member of a government of a pretty well developed ally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

El Hefe posted:

loving Figueredo, how did a used car salesman get so powerful?