Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

radlum posted:

A friend and me just got into the game, bought two Starter Sets (the original one and The Force Awakens one); played our first game and really enjoyed. Now we are feeling the need to add more stuff to get to 100 points, what expansion should we buy next?

Buy what you want to fly. If you're playing casual, don't worry about the cards too much - just buy the ships that seem cool and proxy the upgrades. Once you've decided what you like, THEN you drop the hundreds and thousands of dollars on this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hey now, to own a few of everything is just barely thousands, plural...

:negative:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

sometimes I forget how much these things cost because I've only ever bought the two core sets and maybe an x-wing with cash. :ohdear:

What you really have to worry about is getting multiples of a ship just to paint it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The new core set is on sale at Target for $30 this week.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just played an interesting game with something I'd been meaning to try out. I was flying jonus with homing missiles, redline with extra munitions, proton torps and cluster missile and 3 academies, against a prototype a-wing, two crack/PtL green squadrons and a Miranda with recon spec and TLTs. I managed to get one green squadron down with a proton/homing, then destroyed the prototype awing with a cluster missiles. In the meanwhile I lost a TIE Fighter and redline got critter to give him PS 0. The two sides split off and I lost another TIE in the exchange, and shortly after I lost redline, although he did manage to fire his cluster missile at Miranda. With only Jonus and a academy left I thought I was done for but I got a couple of lucky crits off to finish off Miranda, but my TIE Fighter died shortly after.

The game ended with Jonus and the green squadron jousting with only one hit point left each, but I wasn't able to deal the killing shot and died. Still, an unexpected, striking game.

I'm not sold on the punisher tbh, but I have a new found respect for the Bomber. It's fairly zippy for an ordnance platform I must admit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

radlum posted:

A friend and me just got into the game, bought two Starter Sets (the original one and The Force Awakens one); played our first game and really enjoyed. Now we are feeling the need to add more stuff to get to 100 points, what expansion should we buy next?

Finster Dexter posted:

I just got into this last week, and the Aces packs seemed pretty dang good. Two TIE/in and B-wing/A-wing are pretty good value.

Yep, the Aces sets are very solid for what they get you, but ideally what you should try to do is get down to a local club and borrow some stuff until you know roughly what you want to fly, then buy that. Especially, the core sets don't get you into Scum at all (why isn;t there a core set with Scum :colbert:) so if you want to play them you either have to put money into it or proxy/borrow for a while.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Yep, the Aces sets are very solid for what they get you, but ideally what you should try to do is get down to a local club and borrow some stuff until you know roughly what you want to fly, then buy that. Especially, the core sets don't get you into Scum at all (why isn;t there a core set with Scum :colbert:) so if you want to play them you either have to put money into it or proxy/borrow for a while.

Most Wanted is technically the Scum starter set it just doesn't have any of the templates or dice.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I still think it's bullshit that you can't buy a damage deck by itself.

Templates are easy to get via people that sell acrylic sets, but the damage deck is the one thing that stops someone from starting as only Scum.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Just wait until FFG comes out with a deluxe acrylic chip set that doubles as a damage deck. Somehow.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Just wait until FFG comes out with a deluxe acrylic chip set that doubles as an X-wing. Somehow.

ftfy

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Most Wanted is technically the Scum starter set it just doesn't have any of the templates or dice.

Most Wanted comes with so much good poo poo that I bought 2 so I can run 4 Scum Zs and 4 Scum Ys

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

Most Wanted comes with so much good poo poo that I bought 2 so I can run 4 Scum Zs and 4 Scum Ys

Same here! I already had some Y-wings, a Z and a HWK, as well as a Firespray so I'm sitting pretty right now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Didn't quite realise MOst Wanted had two Zs in it. might be worth me picking up at some point soon since I'm really interested in trying a Latts Razzi/Ace/Z build probably using Mist Hunter as the ace. Or Talonbane.

Dammit I want this whole game already.

(And I've already played more games of it than I ever did of 40k or gorkamorka, which I probably spent WAY more money on overall.)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

thespaceinvader posted:

Didn't quite realise MOst Wanted had two Zs in it. might be worth me picking up at some point soon since I'm really interested in trying a Latts Razzi/Ace/Z build probably using Mist Hunter as the ace. Or Talonbane.

(And I've already played more games of it than I ever did of 40k or gorkamorka, which I probably spent WAY more money on overall.)

It has 2 Z models and 1 Y model, but enough cards, tiles, and dials to run one more Y as well as a HWK and a Firespray on top of that.

Considering all I've played recently is Kath and 4 Zs it was a pretty good purchase.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

thespaceinvader posted:

I ran my Latts/Talonbane/N'Dru tonight against a Fat Han + Jake and had a lot of fun.

Swapped Stealth Device out for Engine upgrade on Talonbane on your advice from last time I mentioned it. Target Locked, Glitterstim'd Range 1 shot on the Falcon was great. I'd gotten him to bump on N'Dru that turn and took my shot.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

It has 2 Z models and 1 Y model, but enough cards, tiles, and dials to run one more Y as well as a HWK and a Firespray on top of that.

Considering all I've played recently is Kath and 4 Zs it was a pretty good purchase.

I agree, I bought two MW packs and I consider them well worth it. (another plus is the quantity of templates they fit in them! I've got one of my MW boxes packed with the unused token/etc. templates from all my other expansions)

Also, I second the suggestion of getting the Ace Packs as a next purchase after the core set - as well as possibly a standalone X-Wing and TIE Fighter (mostly if you get the old core set though, I suppose - as the new standalone X-Wing and TIE aren't out yet) as well, to increase the pilot choices for the ships you already have.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

thespaceinvader posted:

Thats a huge part of why I love this game. I bought it and just played it. My wife even liked it and she's as casual gamer as one could get. You get it out, play a game, and put it away. You don't have to go through a long process of building, painting, reading giant rules books and splats etc. Just read the quick rules, assemble a few pieces and slam two ties into and x-wing. You can go moderate or go nuts.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

The Wang claims another.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pyronic posted:

I ran my Latts/Talonbane/N'Dru tonight against a Fat Han + Jake and had a lot of fun.

Swapped Stealth Device out for Engine upgrade on Talonbane on your advice from last time I mentioned it. Target Locked, Glitterstim'd Range 1 shot on the Falcon was great. I'd gotten him to bump on N'Dru that turn and took my shot.

Yeah, I ran it last week actually, in the end, with Latts/Weapons Engineer/K4 Droid/Hot Shot, Talonbane/Engine Upgrade/Hot Shot/Crack Shot, N'Dru/Lone Wolf/Hot Shot, which IIRC comes out to about 100. I lost though, against a Howlrunner mini swarm and Kath Scarlet. I blew up Howl with a range 1 Talonbane shot before she did anything, but it was all downhill from there D:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

thespaceinvader posted:

Don't worry, you'll end up spending more money on X-Wing in the end.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

4 Gold Squadron BTL-A4s with generic R2 units and a combination of TLT and Ion Cannon stomped on some Brobots, but then did poorly against a Dameron/Farlander/Y team. I don't know if having the BTL instead of just turrets actually helped me, but it sure was more fun.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I've only played against a 4 Tlt-list once, and that seemed boring as hell to fly. I'd say you've handicapped yourself a bit for extra fun. Did you have any points left for an engine upgrade?

I just noticed after checking out the plasma torpedoes that come with the K-wing, that you still have to use a target lock to use it. Seems a bit absurd to first give ordnance carriers a boost with the extra munitions and then just completely forgetting what makes ordnance useless in the first place. Advanced homing missiles seem made for Rhymer btw :rms:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...1,141,-1:-1:17:

Edit; added a list!

Wowshawk fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 7, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Wowshawk posted:

I've only played against a 4 Tlt-list once, and that seemed boring as hell to fly. I'd say you've handicapped yourself a bit for extra fun. Did you have any points left for an engine upgrade?

I just noticed after checking out the plasma torpedoes that come with the K-wing, that you still have to use a target lock to use it. Seems a bit absurd to first give ordnance carriers a boost with the extra munitions and then just completely forgetting what makes ordnance useless in the first place. Advanced homing missiles seem made for Rhymer btw :rms:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...1,141,-1:-1:17:

Edit; added a list!

The problem with Ordnance is a combination of action economy and cost. Plasma Torpedoes go after the cost problem. Torpedoes in general throw more dice but suffer in the action economy. Missiles do better with action economy but can be pretty expensive or restrictive in other ways.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
And it all adds up to not really being able to fly the coolest ship competitively. I want to fly my Tie bomber at a tourney!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
TIE Bombers aren't competitive for reasons that are only tangentially related to ordnance. They're zippier than they look, but having 6 hull and no shields with 2 agility is begging to get critted into uselessness on the joust. Even being zippier than they look, they don't have the maneuvers to avoid a joust against someone who wants one, either. Rhymer and Jonas are good, but Jonas synergizes so well with cannons there's hardly any point taking torpedoes with him in a list (and compounding the ordnance problem), and he's such a high priority target that the 6 hull/2 agility rears its ugly head again. Rhymer is a giant target if you give him a big missile, and doesn't buy back his points if you give him a small one, in addition to the above. If you take the generics, you lose to aces because they'll shoot one down before you get a turn to fire.

They're in a weird spot. If they had even one or two shields they'd be head and shoulders better (even worth using), but they don't. At 4/2 and 18 points they'd probably be competitive with Y-wings due to the varied nature of their ordnance slots (and access to lots of bombs), but at 6/0 they don't bring enough durability to the table.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
6/0 is fine and bombers are okay holsters but why would you want okay jousters? You have real ties for that.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Panzeh posted:

6/0 is fine and bombers are okay holsters but why would you want okay jousters? You have real ties for that.

6/0 with 2 agility eats crits all day erryday, and they're not fast enough to avoid a joust with anybody who wants to give them one. I don't particularly want to use them as jousters but it's really more up to the bomber player's opponent than the bomber player whether they get involved in one or not. :shrug:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

6/0 with 2 agility eats crits all day erryday, and they're not fast enough to avoid a joust with anybody who wants to give them one. I don't particularly want to use them as jousters but it's really more up to the bomber player's opponent than the bomber player whether they get involved in one or not. :shrug:

Crits aren't that important TBH, it's more that they don't do much else. Tie fighters have better maneuvering options.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Panzeh posted:

Crits aren't that important TBH, it's more that they don't do much else. Tie fighters have better maneuvering options.

Crits are definitely important. Losing red and green dice, taking extra damage and stress, having your maneuvering options cut off or become less useful, losing actions to turn off the effects, there are a lot of ways that crits can completely gently caress up your day. The old damage deck has some crit effects that don't always do anything (losing pilot skills on an Academy Pilot?), but the new damage deck is really good about always having an effect.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The odds of getting a blinded pilot, or a munitions failure, or a couple of direct hits are way too high for me to comfortably use unshielded ships trying to get off ordnance.

That said, I feel like TIE Bombers would instantly become competitive and useful ships if they got a title that gave them (something like) "Once per round, after you perform a [torpedo] or [missile] attack that does not hit, you may acquire a target lock on the defender", or even "you may perform an attack with your primary weapon". Or reverse it, and be "Once per round, after you perform a primary attack that does not hit, you may perform an attack with an equipped [torpedo] or [missile] secondary weapon."

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The incoming bomber fix will probably tune up ordnance a little again after the boost Extra Munitions gave. Not expecting much though, I don't think anyone really feels the game is lacking something because ordnance is situational/underpowered and not a not brainer. Maybe a TIE bomber only Torp.

Edit: maybe a dial reveal bomb "countermeasures" that cancels/ignores crits for a round.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 7, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I don't think bombers are ever gonna top the meta but they are kind of fun to fly for casuals, much more so than the tie punisher. Also they are pretty awesome in epic play if you get enough of them to make a swarm.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Something as simple "redundant systems- reduce crits to hit" tie bomber only could work.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The only reason I want a munitions buff is because proton torpedoes and concussion missiles are iconic. They should be common (if situational) sights and so should the T65. :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

The only reason I want a munitions buff is because proton torpedoes and concussion missiles are iconic. They should be common (if situational) sights and so should the T65. :colbert:

T-70 X-wings kick rear end with Proton Torpedoes, because the generics get an EPT and Predator synergizes so well with TL spending munitions it's obscene.

But I'm clearly the outlier here, because I run XXX all the goddamn time. gently caress yeah X-wings. :black101:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I feel like Missiles and Torpedoes should have come in unlimited quantities since as we remember from the X-Wing and TIE Fighter simulator games you bring several into a fight. You would still have to deal with the action economy issues but that could be made up for the fact that you get some good damage out of them. (Proton Rockets would probably be way too good this way though)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like Missiles and Torpedoes should have come in unlimited quantities since as we remember from the X-Wing and TIE Fighter simulator games you bring several into a fight. You would still have to deal with the action economy issues but that could be made up for the fact that you get some good damage out of them. (Proton Rockets would probably be way too good this way though)

That or with a set number of uses included on the card somewhere. Being able to use Proton Torpedoes three or four times if the opportunity arose would certainly go a long way toward making them more useful on more durable targets, and you could limit Proton Rockets or Advanced Proton Torps to just a couple shots.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'd say maybe you should be able to spend an action to regen them or something?

I feel like they should be cooler and gooder, but as they are they're slightly better than normal attacks for LOTS more cost. I mean, equip three ships with good missiles, you could have had an extra ship instead. That doesn't seem quite right.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

If this really is X-wing: the Videogame: the Boardgame, sure. But I like the fact that ordnance use is marginalized, since it wasn't seen in fighter-to-fighter use in on screen. (Though, from the previews, TFA will change that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Madurai posted:

If this really is X-wing: the Videogame: the Boardgame, sure. But I like the fact that ordnance use is marginalized, since it wasn't seen in fighter-to-fighter use in on screen. (Though, from the previews, TFA will change that.)

If that's true then why even bother adding them to the game at all? Also, a majority of the ships are from EU sources where that happens

• Locked thread