Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

e X posted:

Somebody explain anime production and seasons to me. Who exactly produces anime? Do the channels order them from the studios, or do the studios operate independently and offer them to tv channels? Basically, who needs to make money for OPM to get a second season?

The Manga company. Toy Sales. Bluray Sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I feel pretty confident we'll see season 2 at this point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

e X posted:

Somebody explain anime production and seasons to me. Who exactly produces anime? Do the channels order them from the studios, or do the studios operate independently and offer them to tv channels? Basically, who needs to make money for OPM to get a second season?

Shows in Japan actually buy the time slots from the channel. That's why a lot of shows have advertisements for their own merchandise.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

e X posted:

You buy time from tv channels, and costs of that/marketing/production need to be eclipsed by sales of the manga, anime blurays/dvds, and other merchandise made by the companies on the production committee.

the Murata version of OPM that this anime is based on doesn't have enough material for an S2 though. so they'd need to wait or just adapt from ONE's original version.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ONE draws the most endearingly lovely art

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Is the ONE version worth reading or should I just stick with the manga?

If you get impatient and decide you wanna know now dammit now instead of waiting for 2018 for us to get to the after after Boros saga then yes. If you read the Murata version and don't find yourself with a pressing need to see where things go and can wait for three updates a month then don't.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

They'll definitely do a second season, the issue's just "When" since Murata's still in the middle of adapting the relevant material.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Waffleman_ posted:

Shows in Japan actually buy the time slots from the channel. That's why a lot of shows have advertisements for their own merchandise.

dogsicle posted:

You buy time from tv channels, and costs of that/marketing/production need to be eclipsed by sales of the manga, anime blurays/dvds, and other merchandise made by the companies on the production committee.

the Murata version of OPM that this anime is based on doesn't have enough material for an S2 though. so they'd need to wait or just adapt from ONE's original version.

That is simultaneously weird and makes perfect sense. So anime is basically literally just commercials.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
You should read the ONE version because then you can look forward to to two upcoming chapters at a time instead of just one.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Maybe in three or four years when Murata has finished the current arc. Perfection takes time.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 7, 2015

Jintor
May 19, 2014

e X posted:

That is simultaneously weird and makes perfect sense. So anime is basically literally just commercials.

That's why for instance you'll get a lot of season ones of mangas that are complete, but no season twos to wrap up. Season one got made as a gamble but it wasn't successful enough (i.e. wasn't popular enough, didn't push enough new manga sales) to go ahead with the second, or because the manga has ended, there's no "New volumes" to promote with the anime (since you get a spike in interest in new volumes when the anime is going).

Soul Eater for example is a 52 ep anime that diverges near the end because it outpaced its manga. (The anime ending is terrible btw). It has about 2 arcs that were never touched by an animator's hand and probably never will be because it never achieved the insane popularity you need to go back and do it again. I think FMA Brotherhood might be the only show I can remember off the top of my head that went back on an original ending and adapted the whole thing.

meanwhile Soul Eater Not an incredibly mediocre spinoff got animated and funded because new volumes of its terrible terribleness were still being made. Grrr.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jintor posted:

That's why for instance you'll get a lot of season ones of mangas that are complete, but no season twos to wrap up. Season one got made as a gamble but it wasn't successful enough (i.e. wasn't popular enough, didn't push enough new manga sales) to go ahead with the second, or because the manga has ended, there's no "New volumes" to promote with the anime (since you get a spike in interest in new volumes when the anime is going).

Soul Eater for example is a 52 ep anime that diverges near the end because it outpaced its manga. (The anime ending is terrible btw). It has about 2 arcs that were never touched by an animator's hand and probably never will be because it never achieved the insane popularity you need to go back and do it again. I think FMA Brotherhood might be the only show I can remember off the top of my head that went back on an original ending and adapted the whole thing.

meanwhile Soul Eater Not an incredibly mediocre spinoff got animated and funded because new volumes of its terrible terribleness were still being made. Grrr.

Hunter X Hunter, there was the old adaptation and then they redid it and adapted basically the whole manga, though it is still technically ongoing.

P.S. Go watch Hunter X Hunter if you haven't already, it's the best.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jintor posted:

I think FMA Brotherhood might be the only show I can remember off the top of my head that went back on an original ending and adapted the whole thing.
There's Hunter x Hunter, as has already been mentioned, but also Hellsing Ultimate which did it first.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

There's Hunter x Hunter, as has already been mentioned, but also Hellsing Ultimate which did it first.

Though FMA:B finished first.

Heh.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

HxH didn't have an original ending, though, it just stopped after the Greed Island arc.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Though FMA:B finished first.

Heh.

Alucard would never finish quickly

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

GyroNinja posted:

HxH didn't have an original ending, though, it just stopped after the Greed Island arc.

It implied Kite was his dad.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

don't mind me, i'm just mad about soul eater and tonari no kaibutsu-kun.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

GyroNinja posted:

They still revisited the series with the intent to do a more complete adaptation of the source material.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GyroNinja posted:

To be fair, HxH as a whole will never have an ending.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bad Seafood posted:

Hellsing Ultimate was an OVA though so it bypassed the whole "buying airtime from networks" part of the risk equation, since Geneon could just release the OVAs one at a time directly to consumers and cut it off immediately if it stopped making money.

This also leads to another dimension on the whole thing with the OVA boom of the 1980's, where anyone with enough money to keep animators stocked in dogfood could put out a 30 minute anime on tape and sell it to rental shops with the hope that the fees you got back and the popularity you earned was enough to fund more, which is why a lot of bizarre obscure poo poo like Dragon's Heaven or M.D. Geist managed to exist as oneshot products.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 7, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jintor posted:

don't mind me, i'm just mad about soul eater and tonari no kaibutsu-kun.

That ship hasn't sailed completely yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Uh oh, what's wrong with Soul Eater?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Uh oh, what's wrong with Soul Eater?

It had an anime unique ending and the topic was how a couple of other animes that used to have the same got new series that "fixes" that.

Soul Eater hasn't been looking like it would get one for a while, but Soul Eater Not! getting an anime suggests maybe such a thing isn't completely unlikely.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Mordaedil posted:

It had an anime unique ending and the topic was how a couple of other animes that used to have the same got new series that "fixes" that.

Soul Eater hasn't been looking like it would get one for a while, but Soul Eater Not! getting an anime suggests maybe such a thing isn't completely unlikely.

One positive is it would keep Chiaki Omigawa away from making GBS threads up any good series.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
She was in Hidamari Sketch and Bodacious Space Pirates.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This was cool and all, but it made it look too much like he was flying, not just jumping good.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Bobulus posted:

This was cool and all, but it made it look too much like he was flying, not just jumping good.

I thought it showed how massive the ship was, that he was falling the whole time but the ship was so huge that the perspective change was minimal.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

I think it depends on Blu Ray sales more than anything.

And merch bought by dedicated fans.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Alder posted:

And merch bought by dedicated fans.

I'll take 10! :shepspends:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

M.D. Geist managed to exist as oneshot products.

Hey now, Geist got a sequel.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

I dig it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

JUSTICE YELL FOR VICTORY!

(caught a purse snatcher)

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I've always wanted an Oppai sweater.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Still can't get over Saitama's Serious Hero voice and face.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

I've always wanted an Oppai sweater.

Same but Oshiri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
How is this doing in Japan? Are we likely to get more seasons or no?

• Locked thread