Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How would you guys improve AGE, while at least loosely staying true to the core ideas of the show? I know a lot of people think Flit just straight up being the final boss would have been a lot better, though having Kio or Asemu fight him would probably feel forced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

How would you guys improve AGE, while at least loosely staying true to the core ideas of the show? I know a lot of people think Flit just straight up being the final boss would have been a lot better, though having Kio or Asemu fight him would probably feel forced.

remove the part where the mars colony could just leave whenever it wanted

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Very simple actually:

Part 1: The core concept is fine. It needs some better writing but the core arc is strong. Intentionally mimic the Amuro arc but have it end badly and we witness effectively an Amuro who joins the Titans.
Part 2: Again, the core concept is strong. Focus on the friendship between Asemu and Zeheart and better flesh out the Vagans. Emphasize that the Vagans are acting out of a mix of legitimate religious belief and actual need. Possibly play up the idea that X-Rounders are dangerous that AGE waved its hand at. Play up Flit's downfall. Don't go full evil, have him be somewhat on-par with Asemu but have it end with a real split between Flit's "all Vagans are evil" viewpoint and Asemu's "peace can be found and not all Vagans are evil."
Part 3: Play up the idea that Kio is being manipulated by Flit after Asemu vanishes. Flit is effectively trying to create his own Amuro who hates the Vagans just as much as he does. Asemu is forced away and unable to return because he's trying to stop the way from going completely Space-Nuclear. Play up the idea of Zeheart in a leader role and have him eventually form his own splinter faction of Vagans after the realization that he is being manipulated and used.
Final Arc: Flit Asuno is going to nuke Vagan, Vagan is going for their final attack, Asemu, Zeheart and the Diva faction are all struggling to stop this war from going completely nuclear and obligating everyone. Rather than Flit getting last-minute redeemed it either is Kio's final victory or Flit must be stopped and we effectively get a dramatic Age vs Age battle to finish the show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, BF had a couple of legitimately crap fights (SBS vs GXMaoh being a great example here) but they were by far the exception.

It's also worth remembering that out recent television output has been Gundam "Stock Footage" SEED, Gundam "we don't need to animate things moving" 00, and Gundam "Hahahaha" AGE. G-Reco is probably the best television show in terms of combat since then and even then its more due to strong storyboarding with dynamic scenes rather than high-budget animation. IBO has been reasonably good (but a little on the Gundam 00 side) but has also had like 3.5 fights in 10 episodes. Which is not a bad thing but still.

You forgot Build Fighters "Director's Golden Child Sekai" Try.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Put a Gundam skin on a Danball Senki skeleton. But first remove the robot tournament bones and replace them with more assassination attempts and vehicular manslaughter.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also give us Vagans who don't engage in bombing civilian centres and murdering children.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Level Slide posted:

Put a Gundam skin on a Danball Senki skeleton. But first remove the robot tournament bones and replace them with more assassination attempts and vehicular manslaughter.

In other words; more Build Fighters?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I still want a gunpla detective/gunpla mafia centered show

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What happened to the announced OVAs that were supposed to follow up GBF and GBFTry?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Probably still in production. It hasn't been that long since they were announced, relatively speaking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Probably still in production. It hasn't been that long since they were announced, relatively speaking.

They've started showing a kit from it behind frosted glass, so its definitely progressing.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Raxivace posted:

Don't have a raging misogynist write the story would be a good start.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't forget! He's also a hack.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ka0 posted:

Don't have a raging misogynist write the story would be a good start.

A deaf and blind person would have been able to sense the absolutely hatred/apathy towards women in this show. It was absolutely ridiculous. On the other hand, I do wonder sometimes if Captain Anus was an honest mistake.:allears:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Quattro Vagina

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Srice posted:

Quattro Vagina

jamitov hymen

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Gundam has a long, proud and storied tradition of ridiculous character names.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011
No Gundam character name will ever approach the magnificence that is South Burning.

Hank Hercules strove for those rarefied heights, but fell sadly short.

Also, he turned out to be a hoax.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Doc Quantum posted:

No Gundam character name will ever approach the magnificence that is South Burning.

Hank Hercules strove for those rarefied heights, but fell sadly short.

Also, he turned out to be a hoax.

Bring Stabbity

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Droyer posted:

Bring Stabbity

He certainly didn't bring enough stabbity to defeat Setsuna F Seiei, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
... Elbow Smaaash...

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm in the middle of episode 15 of G. Reco and I'm not sure if the subs are mistaken. It's saying that the Dorrette family wanted to teach Earth how to make photon batteries, while the Rayhuntons did not.

But then it doesn't make sense to me why Dorrette is intercepting the Earth's space fleet, and Rayhunton survivors are hiding on Earth.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Mr. Burning, meet captain Synapse. Together you'll launch in pursuit of Gato.

e: THAT DARN GATO

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erg posted:

I'm in the middle of episode 15 of G. Reco and I'm not sure if the subs are mistaken. It's saying that the Dorrette family wanted to teach Earth how to make photon batteries, while the Rayhuntons did not.

But then it doesn't make sense to me why Dorrette is intercepting the Earth's space fleet, and Rayhunton survivors are hiding on Earth.

The Dorettes want to return to Earth and to do so without it being lovely they need ready supplies of Photon Batteries. However the end result of that is a breaking of the Photon Power monopoly and a resurgence of war. The Rayhuntons wanted to avoid that. (At least from what I recall.)

It's basically worth remembering that every single faction in G-Reco is maneuvering so they end up on top but not all of them have goals which are inherently opposed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Double post

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I want a crossover event where the Gundam characters with the most ridiculous names fight the most useless Gundam characters to be deemed the number 1 Gundam misfit.

0079 Hayato and Wufei team up to create an alliance that includes stars like S2 Alleujah, Argo Gulskii, Destiny-era Cagalli, Dorel Ronah, Kou, and Reccoa to fight Bask Om, South Burning, Cronicle Asher, Kid Salsamille, Bork Cry, Zeon Zum Deikun, Bright Noa, Mouar Pharaoh, and the other Gundam characters with ridiculous name

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 10, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bright "The Man Who Could Not Ride The Rainbow" Noa is not ridic

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

closeted republican posted:

I want a crossover event where the Gundam characters with the most ridiculous names fight the most useless Gundam characters to be deemed the number 1 Gundam misfit.

0079 Hayato and Wufei team up to create an alliance that includes stars like S2 Alleujah, Argo Gulskii, Destiny-era Cagalli, Dorel Ronah, Kou, and Reccoa to fight Bask Om, South Burning, Cronicle Asher, Kid Salsamille, Bork Cry, Zeon Zum Deikun, Bright Noa, Mouar Pharaoh, and the other Gundam characters with ridiculous name

Replace Reccoa with Fa. I actually like Reccoa but apart from that, Fa fits the bill better because it's actually part of her character arc that she's useless at fighting.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Zeta-Gundam-Collection-1-Blu-ray

I'm glad these are coming out at a decent clip. I wonder if they'll just run through putting stuff out chronologically at this point, aside from the more recent series

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Parallax posted:

boomboomboom: first three minutes of Gundam Thunderbolt are out
boomboomboom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Trb5wCvlw
boomboomboom: pass it on
boomboomboom: I can't remember if I already told you, sorry if so.
Parallax: will i get good luck if i do
boomboomboom: yes
boomboomboom: it's already been posted in the chat thread, but not the Gundam thread, the IBO thread, the Winter anime thread or the Mecha thread

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Holy poo poo that looks good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The only problem I foresee with Thunderbolts is it being so drat short. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have you ever wondered what would happen if Gundam had a baby with Macross and plastered it with Star Wars?
Thought you guys might like this.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

I swear, one of the pilots looks like Yazan.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Well Manicured Man posted:

I swear, one of the pilots looks like Yazan.

That's because it is yazan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The last Volume of Gundam: The Origin hit today. It covers the end of the series as well as three mini-stories. One covers the birth of Char and the other two are post-war stories about the White Base crew.

It's a solid ending overall. It absolutely ends as if The Origin was a self-contained thing. There's no sequelbaiting for Zeta and the Amuro-based post-war story ends with him going to rebuild Side 7 so you can argue it actually sets itself in a position where Zeta Gundam can't happen. It makes a pretty good self-contained read from start to finish and is probably the definitive version of the story.

Also, uh, I guess nobody knew this in the US but the postscript from the last volume of The Origin flat-out states they're making an OAV that only covers the flashback arc!

Also I might as well translate this line from the author:

"One of the biggest misunderstandings was this reading that OLdtypes are a no-good bunch who need to be supplanted by a NEwtype generation adapated to the space age. That was the Aum cult's view too. The Gundam story isn't about that - it's a story, through and through, about desperation. People can't, they can't understand one another. They can't, but how great would it be if they could? Let's hold onto that hope. That's what the story is and Newtypes are that hope. "Evern so, people will still end up hurting each other. The sorrow of the human condition..." but also in the end you can return to your buddies because, after all, nobody can survive alone. Although that line's become a cliche."

I will say that the idea that Newtypes can come across as being like the Aum Shinrikyo really puts an interesting spin on the entire concept that I don't think would instantly come across to an American viewer, but probably explains a lot.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 16, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The last Volume of Gundam: The Origin hit today. It covers the end of the series as well as three mini-stories. One covers the birth of Char and the other two are post-war stories about the White Base crew.

It's a solid ending overall. It absolutely ends as if The Origin was a self-contained thing. There's no sequelbaiting for Zeta and the Amuro-based post-war story ends with him going to rebuild Side 7 so you can argue it actually sets itself in a position where Zeta Gundam can't happen. It makes a pretty good self-contained read from start to finish and is probably the definitive version of the story.

Also, uh, I guess nobody knew this in the US but the postscript from the last volume of The Origin flat-out states they're making an OAV that only covers the flashback arc!

Yeah dude, first 2 episodes of The Origin are already out. Four total. Wholly unverified speculation is that if it does well Sunrise will do an Origin series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

Yeah dude, first 2 episodes of The Origin are already out. Four total. Wholly unverified speculation is that if it does well Sunrise will do an Origin series.

I am aware of that but the translated statement is from a good long time ago but there was plenty of arguments that it was going to cover other material when the answer was already plainly stated! (Just.. in Japanese material.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I am aware of that but the translated statement is from a good long time ago but there was plenty of arguments that it was going to cover other material when the answer was already plainly stated! (Just.. in Japanese material.)

OK, got it, I thought that was kind of a weird thing for you to post. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have little doubt that they will eventually do more Origin stuff. It makes money selling toys, so they'll do it.