Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

2017 Mustang musing of the moment: Power boost? Seems the cheapest and easiest thing Ford could do vs the new Camaro.

More far-out idea: Optional magnetic shock package? Dunno if they'd think it worth it, but I'd imagine a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Mag shocks and wide/sticky tires would do a lot. They could stick the GT350 nose on it to accommodate the rubber.

2017 should get the 10sp auto as well.

\/\/\/\/\/

Powershift posted:

I would imagine it's going to be a 2018 facelift with aluminum body panels and CFRP wherever they can stick it.
Could be. That'd be pretty nice, actually.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 6, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would imagine it's going to be a 2018 facelift with aluminum body panels and CFRP wherever they can stick it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Found a rather nice deal on a 1992 convertible, but the one thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on it are replacing the seat belts. Those things are apparently the holy grail of foxbody parts.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Are you speaking of original, or any functional after market ones?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Vahakyla posted:

Are you speaking of original, or any functional after market ones?

Either. As long as they work.

e: I've been looking through Ford's online product catalog and it seems like they have them but will probably have to call and speak to someone.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay so before I bought my GT I had a terrible pickup truck that I could buy 4 tires for 250 bucks.

I got a quote from the stealership for 1100 dollars for 4 tires and an alignment.

I mean..... Sports car, but ????

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

For the Pirelli P-Zeros? Sounds about right.

Search for mustang tires on Craigslist, I regularly see sets for around $500

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Yeah, factory-size Pirelli P-Zeros are $250/ea on tire rack. You'll need to step down to a performance all season to get something cheaper.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Captain Apollo posted:

Okay so before I bought my GT I had a terrible pickup truck that I could buy 4 tires for 250 bucks.

I got a quote from the stealership for 1100 dollars for 4 tires and an alignment.

I don't know what year/size you are looking for, but when I needed 19" tires in 245/45 ratio, about a year ago, the cheapest I found was Goodyear RS-A2s (V-rated), for about $120 each at Discount Tire. After mounting/balancing/tax etc. it was about $600 total. I have about 6000 miles on them now, and they seem OK. They had good dry traction when new, but recently the dry traction is falling off some. Seem to be good in wet, and the ride and noise levels are fine. My OEM Pirellis had crisper turn-in--these RSA2s seem to need more steering angle before they bite. I'd rate them as fine for general driving but not ideal if you want sharp handling.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Thanks for the idea on the RS-A2's

If I'm going to pay, I want some tires that last. I wouldn't know good handling or performance if it bit me in the rear end. I love my GT but it's a fun toy and sometimes a drive down the highway on the weekends and a car to run an errand in.

So, what's the longest lasting tire that strikes a balance between performance and wear?

For instance, these BF Goodrich g-forces are in sitting well with me financially...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...andard%20Brakes

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 7, 2015

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Wait for a deal to pop up on slickdeals for Michelin pilot super sport 2s. They'll last you a while and are sticky as hell and also comfortable and low on road noise. There's a reason m cars and Porsche 911s use them pretty much exclusively. Slickdeals also has deals on ventus v12s for like 700 shipped and installed and those are pretty nice as well.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Wait for a deal to pop up on slickdeals for Michelin pilot super sport 2s. They'll last you a while and are sticky as hell and also comfortable and low on road noise. There's a reason m cars and Porsche 911s use them pretty much exclusively. Slickdeals also has deals on ventus v12s for like 700 shipped and installed and those are pretty nice as well.
Super sport 2s? Or A/S 3s? Unless Michelin has released something new those are the 2 choices afaik. Same price, PSS is better if it doesn't get super cold, A/S3 if it does.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

coolskillrex remix posted:

These are the opposite of " I wouldn't know good handling if it bit me in the rear end" tires. Plus, they have the same treadwear rating as the PZero and are like $40/ea more.

Great tires though.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Guess who finally got SA unblocked at work? How are you folks?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

frozenphil posted:

I give up; who?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Did you fix it by applying more 80 grit to the router?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

frozenphil posted:

he's alive

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did you fix it by applying more 80 grit to the router?

Something like that. I put it in a list of sites for the board to approve thinking they wouldn't actually look at the list and just approve it. Turns out I was right.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
hey man! you haven't been around in forever! dont you have internet at home or something? DANG!

Lots of Mustang stuff has been going on, ill let you read the last 200 pages or so, so you can catch up!

Also what is the current status of your forever build?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

frozenphil posted:

drat, I've been wondering what the hell happened to you.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

hey man! you haven't been around in forever! dont you have internet at home or something? DANG!

Lots of Mustang stuff has been going on, ill let you read the last 200 pages or so, so you can catch up!

Also what is the current status of your forever build?

Q_res posted:

drat, I've been wondering what the hell happened to you.

Got divorced
Got out of the shithole that is Alabama and moved to Portland, OR
Finished my Masters
Just kinda breaking out of a rut in general. The Mustang is still at my sister's place in TN. My brother-in-law restores cars for a living and has said he'll finish mine for me, but money and stuff is delaying it so far. Life just got in the way, basically. At this point I don't bother guessing on when it will be done as that has proven to be a fools errand in the past.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Welcome back fronzephil!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I dreamed last night I bought a new Mustang and slapped a supercharger on it; perhaps it's a sign?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am having the worlds longest brainfart.

Who is the mustang aftermarket distributor...meathead? beatmeet? something odd like that.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Probably Beatmeat or Steeda

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
What the hell are you talking about? Beatmeat? is that a SA user or something?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have been racking my tiny lizard brain all day long trying to remember an aftermarket parts distributor for late model Mustangs. Meatsomething I think. And it's driving me goddamned insane

edit: BEEFCAKE. Good grief.

Tide fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 22, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's a Premium Convertible 5-speed manual V8.

So, I wanted daytime running lights to get some of teh sweet sweet insurance discount in addition to baller looks and mad pussy.
I wanted to have lights that'd turn on when I turn the key. I bought some white LED panels for 8 bucks total, plus red panels for 10 bucks total. Not a bad price. Plus a custom HALO headlight setup, along with corner LED's. As you know, the SN95 body has yellow running lights on dim, and blinkers are brighter. Well I hate amber steady burn, so I got a dual-diode LED's, that burn white and blink yellow.

At the turn of the key the halos, the tripled corner LED's, lower taillights and lower fog lights turn on. There is no way to turn them off. Headlight switch brings on the low beam and the bigger corner LEDs.

I'm pretty happy with the look. Especially I like the way I installed the rear LED's. They look like they belong there from the get-go. I didn't even have a soldering iron, so with literally everything from LED's to tools to wiring to shrink wrap and add-a-fuse connections, I ended up paying at total amount of 114.50 dollars. That includes completely new headlight housings and bulbs, too. My monthly discount ended up being a bit over 12 dollars, so I'm extremely satisfied with the result in both looks and finance.
Timewise it took like six hours, but I ran wiring at the same time that we were changing top cylinders with my brother in law, so it is less than that. It's a single fuse that I named "DRL" that comes from fusebox at 15a, runs into the front in a sturdy thermostat wire, hits a junction where all individual lights get their own detachable plugs for changing, and a another thermostat wire that goes to the trunk, all under the furniture and behind panels, to get power for the tail LED's.

Next up is coming up a solution to get amber turn signals in the back. My plan is to give the pony to my mom as a gift, and she lives in Finland. EU won't even consider a car for registration withot 360 degree amber turn signals, among other poo poo.

Did some other modifications, too. Rear passengers are suspectible to severe whiplash. But no more! Stock Volkswagen guide brackets, plus leather headrests from a 2000 VW Beetle. Voila! They swivel back and forth, go up and down and the top travels freely.
Cost: 50 bucks total. Work time: 1 man hour with two dudes.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 22, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Did this make the rounds already? Eh, even if it's old rumour-meandering, here you go.

The Next Shelby GT500: Could it be an AWD EcoBoost V6?

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Is it just me or are early Mustangs (64 - 68) extra susceptible to rust in the rear quarters? I looked at a 66 & a 67 this week that were advertised as "solid body" and on both cars the rear quarters were just swiss cheese. It was especially weird since the rest of the body (doors, front fenders, etc) were actually in good shape.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Mooecow posted:

Is it just me or are early Mustangs (64 - 68) extra susceptible to rust in the rear quarters? I looked at a 66 & a 67 this week that were advertised as "solid body" and on both cars the rear quarters were just swiss cheese. It was especially weird since the rest of the body (doors, front fenders, etc) were actually in good shape.

I'll bet a dollar that their cowls were rusted the gently caress out too. It really depends on where the car lived. My '67 lived in Florida most of its life so its quarters were fine. If it lived somewhere with salted roads it would be a different story.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Drove in snowy slushy poo poo today.
Trip report: The all seasons are poo poo but the snow mode is actually quite good. Slap some winter tires on and I don't see any issues going out in snow.

Also I have a gt350 steering wheel coming tomorrow probably, will post a pic when I get that installed.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dropping the suv off to get the winter tires off and servicing done; apparently they have a 350 at the dealer's so I'm going to go drool over that and think about bad life choices.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

El Scotch posted:

Dropping the suv off to get the winter tires off and servicing done; apparently they have a 350 at the dealer's so I'm going to go drool over that and think about bad life choices.

Then follow up by making a good life choice.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

El Scotch posted:

I've been looking around at dealer inventories to see ones with GT350s in, and all of them have a 5k markup minimum :| (On top of them all being ordered with poo poo like the 500$ car cover and stuff like that).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, getting a good deal on a base GT350 is just not gonna happen. My old man has hit up pretty much every Ford dealer in the area because that's exactly what he wants, and I think none of them even have a base GT350.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The only really frustrating things about the config options is that the tech pack exclusively keeps you from getting the Recaros, which is :|

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, getting a good deal on a base GT350 is just not gonna happen. My old man has hit up pretty much every Ford dealer in the area because that's exactly what he wants, and I think none of them even have a base GT350.

This is what I'm looking for too, but yeah, not going to happen.

I guess Ford would rather have you buy a heavily discounted, loaded GT than pay MSRP for a base GT350.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

I did it. The alcantara feels great and the stitching looks better in person than I've seen in photos. Flat bottom was the main reason I wanted it because I sit so close to the wheel I need a little more room under it.
Side effect I wasn't expecting was lighter steering feel because the wheel is a few grams lighter than the normal wheel.

Now I just need to get matching shift boot and ebrake cover.