Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Internet Wizard posted:

The Corps is the one organization in this world that could make Davy Crocket qual something people don't look forward to.

They turned witnessing the raw power of matter turning into energy into a forced march.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz9g_rl2JnU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Something about that video just makes it more real. In most nuclear test footage it's just a static camera looking at the explosion. People actually being there and it being a handheld camera was crazy.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Internet Wizard posted:

The Corps is the one organization in this world that could make Davy Crocket qual something people don't look forward to.

They'd make you ruck march the whole launcher and warhead, along with extra parts and a full combat load 16 miles to the nuke range, then do a FOD walk in the blast area to make sure no bomb pieces are still there to ruin an IG inspection that's never coming

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

They'd make you ruck march the whole launcher and warhead, along with extra parts and a full combat load 16 miles to the nuke range, then do a FOD walk in the blast area to make sure no bomb pieces are still there to ruin an IG inspection that's never coming
That doesn't sound too bad until the last part.

"Schedule says we're here till 5, I don't care if everyone is done, that's what we're doing"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Booblord Zagats posted:

Better police up that range afterwards.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
"But, sir, the radiation won't dissipate for another three months--"

"NOW, private."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The General is coming tomorrow, so you need to repaint all the concentric circles around the bomb site.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Honestly, eating a shitload of fast neutrons seems preferable to some of the range poo poo I've heard on here.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Booblord Zagats posted:

All of this for the XO and PSGs to qual, because they have only four warheads.

You get to shoot a sim Crockett.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

LostCosmonaut posted:

Honestly, eating a shitload of fast neutrons seems preferable to some of the range poo poo I've heard on here.

why read about it when you can watch it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AJhyaX6J9k

ps this chinese nuke test vid is way radder than ours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mULZzwtPM2U

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

bang! bang bang! bang!

god drat i am glad i didnt go infantry

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

I love that loving music

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

I love that loving music

right, it reminds me of basil poledouris score on conan, which is probably my favorite movie

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

ps this chinese nuke test vid is way radder than ours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mULZzwtPM2U

That whole documentary is great. Shatner does some good narration.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ded posted:

bang! bang bang! bang!

god drat i am glad i didnt go infantry

I would tell bang with a full mag because gently caress cleaning my rifle for three hours so the commander can check a block.

Or I would yell stupid poo poo. Like mock machine gun sounds because "I'm SF sir, we use full auto."

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
*picks up a rock*

FRAG OUT

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cole posted:

I would tell bang with a full mag because gently caress cleaning my rifle for three hours so the commander can check a block.

Or I would yell stupid poo poo. Like mock machine gun sounds because "I'm SF sir, we use full auto."

I liked to shout "Pew! Pew!"

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
From my facebook feed :911:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Zeris posted:

From my facebook feed :911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAEiI_x71Ko

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That guy got no face, that's creepy.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I hope it was his wife who forced those candles on him

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pesticide20 posted:

I liked to shout "Pew! Pew!"

I got kicked by the DI and called a pussy because I said "Pew! Pew!" instead of "Bang! Bang!".

e: One time we were running a mortar conversion course, and had a bunch of French guys brought in from the neighboring brigade to pad out the numbers / qualify them instead of just sitting around in garrison. One of their NCOs was a Mexican guy who got accelerated promotion because of time served in the Mexican Marines or something. He spoke no English and terrible French. The first night at the Z-Lines before heading out he almost burned his eyebrows off while fiddling with a Coleman stove. After firing for a couple hours, the Safety Officer got a call from Range Control saying we were dropping rounds way outside of the impact area, and almost hitting the highway that runs through the Training Area, and is open to civilian traffic. Well, the safety officer hikes out to the firing position and notices that the tube that the Mexican guy was in charge of is several hundred mil off, pointed in entirely the wrong direction. He had apparently not understood the information from the CP and just laid his tube on what he *thought* was the correct bearing instead of asking for confirmation. He wasn't charged but his 2IC, who had been trying to point out the mistake and correct it was. Easier to charge a Corporal I guess.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 6, 2015

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

I got kicked by the DI and called a pussy because I said "Pew! Pew!" instead of "Bang! Bang!".

e: One time we were running a mortar conversion course, and had a bunch of French guys brought in from the neighboring brigade to pad out the numbers / qualify them instead of just sitting around in garrison. One of their NCOs was a Mexican guy who got accelerated promotion because of time served in the Mexican Marines or something. He spoke no English and terrible French. The first night at the Z-Lines before heading out he almost burned his eyebrows off while fiddling with a Coleman stove. After firing for a couple hours, the Safety Officer got a call from Range Control saying we were dropping rounds way outside of the impact area, and almost hitting the highway that runs through the Training Area, and is open to civilian traffic. Well, the safety officer hikes out to the firing position and notices that the tube that the Mexican guy was in charge of is several hundred mil off, pointed in entirely the wrong direction. He had apparently not understood the information from the CP and just laid his tube on what he *thought* was the correct bearing instead of asking for confirmation. He wasn't charged but his 2IC, who had been trying to point out the mistake and correct it was. Easier to charge a Corporal I guess.

were you ffl or something?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I dunno, running around and actually shooting at random popup targets seems kinda fun.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

at the date posted:

I dunno, running around and actually shooting at random popup targets seems kinda fun.

seems fun until you have to do it for hours on end. range 400 loving sucks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

were you ffl or something?

Sadly, no. :canada:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

at the date posted:

It's never fun, especially when you have to redo the entire thing because the PL decided to do his bold flanking maneuver from the entirely wrong direction.

Ranges are loving gay especially when they're basically dog and pony shows where you go to x,y,z berms and shoot at 1,2,3 popups. Also all the stupid safety considerations which make you second guess whether or not I will get yelled at for shooting a popup 5 feet in front of my face in the woods, then you get yelled at anyway.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Can't say I can argue with the safety considerations too much because there are people in the military that are god damned terrifying with weapons, and not in a good way.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

Can't say I can argue with the safety considerations too much because there are people in the military that are god damned terrifying with weapons, and not in a good way.

Had a really cool range with the Army this last AT; we're only a detachment of about 50 people, but the instructors treated it like a big boy range, and no one got hosed up. Had a coffee brewer going, tunes blasting, and the only injury was the LT smashing his finger on the known-distance target risers (not his fault, weight fell off the thing). I attribute it being to the fact that we were treated like adults, with the four rules being reinforced prior to each day, and command training soldiers as if they will be deployed with weapons and ammo AT THE SAME TIME. It was really refreshing.

Even opened up the steel popper range for fun firing on the M9.

Love being a nasty girl some days.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wasabi the J posted:

Love being a nasty girl some days.

:chloe:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

seems fun until you have to do it for hours on end. range 400 loving sucks

my range 400 experience:

sit in turret, shoot 30 rounds, sit in turret, eat

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

my range 400 experience:

sit in turret, shoot 30 rounds, sit in turret, eat

gently caress off the edge of my dick

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The next time I go to a range is to go to one of those ones in Nevada where I can rent an Uzi for a half hour and not have to clean it afterwards.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The next time I go to a range is to go to one of those ones in Nevada where I can rent an Uzi for a half hour and not have to clean it afterwards.

I went to one of those and rented an mp5k. It kinda sucked because the gun was tired as gently caress. Jammed a lot, magwell was loose as hell and one of the magazines had to be held in to the gun hard to fire at all.

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 7, 2015

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Outside of iet, I have only been to the range once in the 3 years I've been in...

Works for me.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Kansas did some pretty good ranges, at least to the point that it felt like you didn't have someone breathing down your neck and it was very "to the point." You got on the range, you got to fire pretty quick, then you were done.

We had a shooting competition which involved a lot of stuff like running up a hill to your rifles and shooting at falling plates, a 9mm range with steel targets, and a long distance shooting range, all while being treated like an adult.

Until some female airforce chick almost blasted off her foot at the 9mm range, literally had it pointing to the ground and discharged a round during the instructions phase. Never had another shooting competition again. :(

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

MurderBot posted:

Kansas did some pretty good ranges, at least to the point that it felt like you didn't have someone breathing down your neck and it was very "to the point." You got on the range, you got to fire pretty quick, then you were done.

We had a shooting competition which involved a lot of stuff like running up a hill to your rifles and shooting at falling plates, a 9mm range with steel targets, and a long distance shooting range, all while being treated like an adult.

Until some female airforce chick almost blasted off her foot at the 9mm range, literally had it pointing to the ground and discharged a round during the instructions phase. Never had another shooting competition again. :(

That's a shame. We're the instructors just not aware that you're not supposed to give airmen guns or what?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I really wish the military would just fire individuals instead of dumbing ranges down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Reverand maynard posted:

I really wish the military would just fire individuals instead of dumbing ranges down

This is the worst part about the military. Sometimes you have to fire someone but it's not possible.