Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
FYI you can just hit Home > Browser and then use Imgur to upload either the TV or Gamepad screen for a better/easier image.

Rock on, chief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just as a side-note, but I think they should've let you drive one/some of those cars they have. Just as an interim vehicle until you get your Skell, if anything.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FINALLY

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Why are everyone so down on the Ma-Non? They look o...kay...

Oh... Ohhh dear :stare:.

My ears! :gonk:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I want to play this game to the exclusion of everything else in my life right now. Exploring triggers my OCD something fierce (in a good way). I love seeing how far I can get into really dangerous territory without being murdered. Notctilum is a bit difficult for that since a lot of the really dangerous dudes seem to hide underground and it's difficult to tell what terrain I should be traversing.

I've been experimenting with FrontierNAV quite a bit too. When should Booster probes be deployed? I have one but how exactly do they improve surrounding probes?

EDIT: also, where is the probe spot that looks like it's on top of (or underneath) NLA?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Please someone tell me there's a way to get Tatsu to wear his dadapon's sunglasses permanently

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
drat everyone is way further than i am

i just got done finding the actual potato

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am about 18 hours in and should get my Skell soon. I am about to start chapter 6. I still don't understand how to equip gear though, how do I know what gear I want to equip based on my character's class?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i always just look at what the stats will be after equipping it and discern if i like that new number or not

is there some other thing i should do?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hubris.height posted:

i always just look at what the stats will be after equipping it and discern if i like that new number or not

is there some other thing i should do?

That's what i've been doing too, I always feel like it should be more complex then that and I wonder if i'm not missing something.

I'm at Duelist Rank 10 now and want to change my class. Planning on maxing all classes which is turning out to not be hard at all.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also that sphinx in chapter 6 was way too loving hard. I was the same level as it, yet I'd get it to 50% before he'd start nuking my party. The mobs just before it barely did any damage to me and the fight ended with them in like a minute. Once it was deleveled to 19, it was easy, but even still the AI elma kept getting poo poo on. I guess I could have leveled more but I just wanted my loving skell.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I am about 18 hours in and should get my Skell soon. I am about to start chapter 6. I still don't understand how to equip gear though, how do I know what gear I want to equip based on my character's class?
If you do X -> Equip Strongest Gear it will generally give you an optimised build for that class based on your current inventory.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What's that stat in the bottom right corner which is high on light armour and low on heavy armour? Overall ether resistance?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Evil Canadian posted:

Also on another note, has anyone used the class with the psycho launchers yet? How do they work exactly? I am using Samurai gunner but it feels pretty plain and feel I could be way more anime.

blast fencers are anime jedi. they get a lot of skills focusing on improving their melee combos (some arts say they do extra damage in a melee/ranged combo, you do this buy using them within a few seconds after using a melee/ranged art), while their psycho launcher arts are kinda more support-focused. galactic knights get what seems to be the only decent healing art in the game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Steampunk Gent posted:

What's that stat in the bottom right corner which is high on light armour and low on heavy armour? Overall ether resistance?
Gravity, I think it applies most often when indigens do their sit on you attack. Skell flight suits have inertial dampeners that mean monsters sitting on you hurts less, and big bulky anime power armor means you get sit on harder.

If you go into the character stat screen it spells out all the icons, since the manual doesn't.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't understand how I am suppose to discover 25% of Noctilum when I am level 22 and everything I am coming across is twice my level. What obvious thing am I missing?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I said come in! posted:

I don't understand how I am suppose to discover 25% of Noctilum when I am level 22 and everything I am coming across is twice my level. What obvious thing am I missing?

You can ignore mobs and just run around finding nodes.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also that sphinx in chapter 6 was way too loving hard.

It was really cool when he straight up resisted taunt sometimes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can ignore mobs and just run around finding nodes.

Okay I am for sure missing something. Is there a way to stay out of combat even when aggro'ed? If you go into combat you can't pick up anything or set down nodes.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

I said come in! posted:

Okay I am for sure missing something. Is there a way to stay out of combat even when aggro'ed? If you go into combat you can't pick up anything or set down nodes.

I set down a node while the combat music was still playing last night. Aggroed something I definitely shouldn't have and let my party be my decoys while I just bolted across the map to the node. Not sure if it counted me as in or out of combat, but that was the most tense probe-placing I've done so far. "ohpleaseohpleaseohplease..." and then bam, killed as soon as I placed it :toot:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MohShuvuu posted:

Partisan Eagle was really awful to play. Getting Overwhelm when you hit Astral Crusader is a game changer, though.

Glad to hear it gets better, I'm finding it pretty dull and keep thinking about switching to winged viper because I found the base Commando class a lot of fun. But I think sniper/javelin is cooler and isn't redundant with a critical party member so I want to make it work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

I set down a node while the combat music was still playing last night. Aggroed something I definitely shouldn't have and let my party be my decoys while I just bolted across the map to the node. Not sure if it counted me as in or out of combat, but that was the most tense probe-placing I've done so far. "ohpleaseohpleaseohplease..." and then bam, killed as soon as I placed it :toot:

Haha that is pretty awesome. I figured it out by mistake. If you hit B once you are in combat then you can place the node. I've seen other players on streams complete this quest as soon as level 20, but I have a feeling the game intends for you to do a lot of side quests and level up a lot before you take this on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man after the post chapter 5 twist I feel like and based on previous xenogames themes it's gonna end up being a thing where the humans in lifehold all died long ago and all the mims developed a soul and wooo spooky gnosticism
Don't tell me if I'm right or wrong but I feel like that would be an accurate prediction

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

zedprime posted:

If you go into the character stat screen it spells out all the icons, since the manual doesn't.
THANK YOU

That is one annoying thing about the manual

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Man, I really took for granted how good of party members Lin and Elma are. Gwin and H.B. have like 10% survival rate.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also that sphinx in chapter 6 was way too loving hard. I was the same level as it, yet I'd get it to 50% before he'd start nuking my party. The mobs just before it barely did any damage to me and the fight ended with them in like a minute. Once it was deleveled to 19, it was easy, but even still the AI elma kept getting poo poo on. I guess I could have leveled more but I just wanted my loving skell.

That's the Xenoblade Way as far as my game experience attested, since the Wii / 3DS version. You roll along through the regular content just stomping everything with impunity, maybe having a close call with attacking something 3 or 4+ your level but you soldier through it. Then you get to a story boss who is same level as you and they loving butcher you. So you slink away, go do some side content for a bit, come back 5+ levels, maybe learn a couple critical mechanics to the game you weren't paying attention to before, and either barely eke out a victory or utterly demolish the boss.

Blue-butt tentacle lady mopped the floor with me on first encounter, but I was about -1 level to them. Side-quested a bit, came back equal level, and I had *also* in that time learned about using battle points to upgrade skills and arts, AND learned how to use gear slots with augments. Turned into a completely one-sided fight in my favor at that point. So, I had come back quite a bit more educated and stronger.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
guess i gotta start playing with the gamepad so i can use the map. too bad its not available with the controller

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think I might have to put this game aside until I get a bigger TV somewhere down the line. My model's perfectly fine and not exactly tiny (I think it's a 28-inch), but even then, it actually hurts to play because of that horrible text size.

Between that and the atrocious sound mixing it's bewildering how such an obvious labor of love could have so many persistent amateur mistakes right off the bat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is the best way to get these golden mortifole feathers just to remove my teammates and go in on the Lake Mortfiles head until all the petals fall off?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

What's the best way to grind Battle Points, I feel like I'm hoarding them right now because the number goes up so slowly, but I want to max all my dang arts.

Baal posted:

Is the best way to get these golden mortifole feathers just to remove my teammates and go in on the Lake Mortfiles head until all the petals fall off?

The best way is to use reward points on them!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Oxxidation posted:

I think I might have to put this game aside until I get a bigger TV somewhere down the line. My model's perfectly fine and not exactly tiny (I think it's a 28-inch), but even then, it actually hurts to play because of that horrible text size.

Between that and the atrocious sound mixing it's bewildering how such an obvious labor of love could have so many persistent amateur mistakes right off the bat.

Wait'll you find out how you switch in party members.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tatsuta Age posted:

What's the best way to grind Battle Points, I feel like I'm hoarding them right now because the number goes up so slowly, but I want to max all my dang arts.

The best way is to use reward points on them!

I actually forget I can do this, but when I want to it doesn't have the poo poo I need so I just gave up.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

hubris.height posted:

guess i gotta start playing with the gamepad so i can use the map. too bad its not available with the controller

I might be in the minority here, but I absolutely love the fact that my map is on my controller at all times. I've always wanted that kind of second-screen functionality when playing games like this.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Baal posted:

I actually forget I can do this, but when I want to it doesn't have the poo poo I need so I just gave up.

i think it only has monster drops. the blue crystal stuff you need to go out and find on your own.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well that's good to know, thanks.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Is there a way to easily change who you're targeting when you're fighting a group of enemies? Only way I can figure is to exit the battle menu entirely then re-enter it when looking at a different enemy

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For those further in the game, how is the story panning out? Without spoilers, is it on par with the first game? Because for someone with very limited exposure to anime it was epic!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Calico Heart posted:

Is there a way to easily change who you're targeting when you're fighting a group of enemies? Only way I can figure is to exit the battle menu entirely then re-enter it when looking at a different enemy

Hold R and press Y or A to cycle through the enemies, which I also think is how you target enemy parts too. Like Xenoblade, you can also use the D-pad to instruct your party to concentrate attacks or do something else, which was vital in XB for named enemies and boss fights and seems vital in this game too.

e: What's the most straightforward way of upgrading your Mechanical field skill? I've read to do this ASAP and don't want to have to search online on how to do it.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 7, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Increasing your Blade Level is the only way to do it and you do that through just doing sht.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Fhqwhgads posted:

I might be in the minority here, but I absolutely love the fact that my map is on my controller at all times. I've always wanted that kind of second-screen functionality when playing games like this.

it just seems like a waste to have a wireless controller i always have to have wired into the wall. its not a complaint, i like the idea of having the map, but i hate the gamepad's poor design for battery life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Finally got to Sandy-bum Valley

• Locked thread