Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

chaosapiant posted:

For those further in the game, how is the story panning out? Without spoilers, is it on par with the first game? Because for someone with very limited exposure to anime it was epic!

Do you like Star Wars or Farscape?

Because it's Star Wars or Farscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the battery life is loving obnoxious and I wish I could use anything else to play it, but map.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
btw if your character doesn't have the xenogears x on their face then you're very disappointing

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Baal posted:

Increasing your Blade Level is the only way to do it and you do that through just doing sht.

I read that you can speak to Eleannor or whatever her face is near the quest board and upgrade there, is that not the case?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chaosapiant posted:

For those further in the game, how is the story panning out? Without spoilers, is it on par with the first game? Because for someone with very limited exposure to anime it was epic!

It's minimalist and dull. Most of the character building comes from affinity missions which are largely optional, the world building comes from side quests, anything to do with the main story though and trying to find the Lifehold to keep humanity safe is told very simply and with very little in the way of depth. They introduce the Ganglion who are about the most typical thuggish brutes you've ever seen and then there's an entire chapter dedicated to blowing up turrets for helium sucking aliens.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Louisgod posted:

I read that you can speak to Eleannor or whatever her face is near the quest board and upgrade there, is that not the case?

It's the case, when you've gone up a BLADE level.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPZdyIYOSk

Skell combat is good. Maniacal laughter when you use a gattling gun Skell weapon is also good.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 7, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Louisgod posted:

That's who you talk to to increase it when your blade increases. She gives you a choice between Mechanical, Archeological, and Biological.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Louisgod posted:

yeah after you do poo poo though.

also is there a way to make collecting missions easier? Like later in the game do you get a sonar or whatever? Because those missions really just exist to take up room in your mission list while you hope to just run into the poo poo you need while out and about

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's the case, when you've gone up a BLADE level.

Cool, thanks y'all. So just do poo poo to increase BLADE level ie quests, collections, etc? Even knowing Xenoblade inside out doesn't prep people well enough for the mechanics of the this game since it's either super vague or overwhelming.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Louisgod posted:

Cool, thanks y'all. So just do poo poo to increase BLADE level ie quests, collections, etc? Even knowing Xenoblade inside out doesn't prep people well enough for the mechanics of the this game since it's either super vague or overwhelming.

Yeah, just doing poo poo in general levels BLADE up.

As for collection missions..no, they're lovely. Arguably worse than in XBC because there's now a Collectapedia..that tells you next to nothing on how to find an item. Grab the Prima scans someone linked before for area collection and buy monster drops with Scout Tokens.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Louisgod posted:

I went with Reclaimers for my division for the drop rate bonus (I get conflicting reports, do YOU get that bonus or does your multiplayer squad?) and figured that starting out I'd be planting a lot more data probes and picking up wreckage than I would be in the late game. But to really powerlevel my BLADE level I wonder if I should have gone with Curators and just farmed blue crystals forever. Going from Mechanical 2 to 3 felt like it took forever, and I needed that to get enough probes to start Chapter 4...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man I hope Nintendo figures out a way to filter out l + a messages from the frontier reports

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also that sphinx in chapter 6 was way too loving hard. I was the same level as it, yet I'd get it to 50% before he'd start nuking my party. The mobs just before it barely did any damage to me and the fight ended with them in like a minute. Once it was deleveled to 19, it was easy, but even still the AI elma kept getting poo poo on. I guess I could have leveled more but I just wanted my loving skell.

The only way I managed to beat that fight was by boosting my TP to 5000, and then popping Overdrive, Full Specs, Beam Barrage, and Ether Blast. Otherwise it just tore through everyone way too fast.

Lao's second affinity mission was kinda funny when the party was complaining about all the trouble they went to to get an item I already had.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That is one incredibly boring introduction despite having a cool setting.

It's finally letting me just explore and it's pretty cool so far. Everything looks amazing in a weird art-only way, everywhere looks like it was beautifully made piece by piece but it looks a little like the system's holding it back.

The faces are god awful though, both the design and the animations. Like one side quest scene had a character stand there mouth open and I couldn't stop laughing cause she looked like some horrifying sex-doll come to life.

Good game, horrible faces.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, Overwhelm really is an absolute gamechanger and was worth going through the previous class all on its own (although Shrapnel is also a godsend, breaking poo poo off monsters super quick is VERY handy).

Once I get that arte at rank 4 that gives Supercharge I fully expect to be one-shotting weaker foes with Overwhelm. Now THIS is what a sniper rifle should be like.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I liked the main city hub music at first but now I just loving hate it, I don't even want to hang around because of it. everything else is pretty good so far but jesus christ, couldn't they have made the song in the city area at least a few minutes longer because that loop is going to destroy my brain.

minor complaint but I assumed the data packs would mitigate everything popping in from like 10 feet away? not really an issue to me but looks pretty stupid, I don't even think the previous game had that kind of pop-in when it came to towns

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It wouldn't have killed them to give the different areas of the city different music.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

zedprime posted:

Chapter 5 was kind of cool. There's a fairly linear footpath through an enemy camp, except its staffed by a million guards and some patrolling poo poo that likely outlevels you. As if to make sure you know you have a jump button, there's a ton of ledges along the peripheries and vertical shortcuts up every single switchback.

lol if you couldnt handle the patrolling mobs

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Golden Goat posted:

Good game, horrible faces.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

What is the L + A thing

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TurnipFritter posted:

It wouldn't have killed them to give the different areas of the city different music.

Sawano's music all sounds the same so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Honestly though the music's not too bad as long as the tracks without lyrics don't come up but when they do wow is it lovely. The daytime NLA Janis Joplin grunts and yeahs are especially bad.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

pissdude posted:

What is the L + A thing

you press those 2 buttons to favorite a post or something so people say L + A to get achievement!!! and you keep upvoting their stuff so everyone sees. its like a meme

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

pissdude posted:

What is the L + A thing

It favorites something like a message. People on my squad where having a shitfit because people were using it loads.

E: Okay so whats the downside of annoying the gently caress outta people by mashing L + A over and over?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Welcome to New L+A.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Chapter 4 cleared.
That's, uh...quite the design they went with for that boss. Suppose I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Louisgod posted:

Sawano's music all sounds the same so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Honestly though the music's not too bad as long as the tracks without lyrics don't come up but when they do wow is it lovely. The daytime NLA Janis Joplin grunts and yeahs are especially bad.

i can't hear you. i can't see you.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't think I understand overdrive, I just mash all of my abilities as they become available and try to make big numbers. Am I doing it right?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Calaveron posted:

I don't think I understand overdrive, I just mash all of my abilities as they become available and try to make big numbers. Am I doing it right?

You need to read the manual. Start at Page 41. And learn all the detail surrounding Overdrive.

https://cdn03.nintendo-europe.com/m...oniclesX_EN.pdf

If anyone has not read the manual yet, do so.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Calaveron posted:

The biggest numbers come from waiting for the Tertiary Cooldowns.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So has anyone found the monster 'difficulty' coloring inconsistent?

I assumed the color would be based on level, but it almost seems random. I have yet to see anything obviously red, but there's been high level guys with green text.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Photon Sabers are amazing. I felt like my damage was really low til I classed into them and now combos just loving melt Indigens.

They also make me feel like I'm playing a Phantasy Star game so they are double good.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

I said come in! posted:

That's what i've been doing too, I always feel like it should be more complex then that and I wonder if i'm not missing something.

I'm at Duelist Rank 10 now and want to change my class. Planning on maxing all classes which is turning out to not be hard at all.

Please explain how, the level scaling hits how many rank points you get in addition to exp, so I've been having a ton of trouble trying to level my second class line.

Anyone have any recommendations for making money? I love my skell and want to buy more frames, and I've saved up almost 2 mil, but I feel like I'm not really using frontiernav as best I can and research probes are so rare compared to mining ones... On that note, is there a way to buy probes rather than just finding them as treasure drops around the map?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BitterAvatar posted:

So has anyone found the monster 'difficulty' coloring inconsistent?

I assumed the color would be based on level, but it almost seems random. I have yet to see anything obviously red, but there's been high level guys with green text.

The coloring is how much stronger than you they are. Colorless means they are chumps. Purple means they'll put up a good fight. Blue guys are strong, Green is stronger, Yellow is really strong, and red don't even bother kid, just go home.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

bef posted:

you press those 2 buttons to favorite a post or something so people say L + A to get achievement!!! and you keep upvoting their stuff so everyone sees. its like a meme

thanks.

so for the multiplayer squad stuff, once you unlock online missions by completing a squad task do you have that mission unlocked permanently or do you have to complete the icon clear task thing every time you wanna do MP with friends?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I thought the L+A thing was funny the first time I saw it in a typical miiverse way. Then I found out that I'm going to basically play the entire game with a continuous stream of bad L+A jokes in the corner of my screen.

Utnayan posted:

You need to read the manual. Start at Page 41. And learn all the detail surrounding Overdrive.

https://cdn03.nintendo-europe.com/m...oniclesX_EN.pdf

If anyone has not read the manual yet, do so.

I read the manual section on overdrive and still don't get it, I figure I'll just wait to unlock it and then understand it an hour or two later like everything else in this game. From the description it sounds like you just pop it once your arts are all off cooldown and then spam them to make the numbers go up, but don't repeat the same colors back to back or the numbers won't go up. You get combat bonuses based on how high the numbers go. Is that right?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Tender Bender posted:

Glad to hear it gets better, I'm finding it pretty dull and keep thinking about switching to winged viper because I found the base Commando class a lot of fun. But I think sniper/javelin is cooler and isn't redundant with a critical party member so I want to make it work.

I spent most of yesterday as a partisan Eagle and wished that someone told me to grind it to 10 ASAP because Astral Crusader is literally 100x better due to Overwhelm.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Suaimhneas posted:

I found an NPC named Monica on the lower level of the administrative district who told me the locations of a couple of rare collectibles. She also said to ask her again later for more info, so I'm hoping this is a thing and she'll keep giving out info like this for different items as I get further into the game!

Here's the stuff she told me about : California Sunset can be found west of Biahno Lake near a cave, spherical EM motors are in the Weeping Whitewood area in Noctilum

Where's this chick at? Couldn't find her in the hanger.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So when I first saw/heard the Ma-non it was a bit jarring. Then I realized the first three you meet are red, blue, and green. I was shocked their names were not a jumbled mess of Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. Because they are totally alien chipmunks.

That being said the music isn't as grating as I was expecting and I have spent a solid 18 hours on this game and just finished chapter 5 and am spending my time doing all the side things although it's getting to the point I should probably go complete chapter 6 and get my Skell.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Tender Bender posted:

I thought the L+A thing was funny the first time I saw it in a typical miiverse way. Then I found out that I'm going to basically play the entire game with a continuous stream of bad L+A jokes in the corner of my screen.

I read the manual section on overdrive and still don't get it, I figure I'll just wait to unlock it and then understand it an hour or two later like everything else in this game. From the description it sounds like you just pop it once your arts are all off cooldown and then spam them to make the numbers go up, but don't repeat the same colors back to back or the numbers won't go up. You get combat bonuses based on how high the numbers go. Is that right?

Yeah but you need to make sure to use non physical arts to change the counter's color. I am guessing some would make the mistake of just using different colors - not paying attention to the fact they need to use non combat related arts. Also, different colors have added bonuses. So if you were, say, going to take off a tail of a monster (appendage attack) you would want to use the corresponding color to activate that particular bonus. There are also party chain overdrives which can result in Super Armor, which will negate you from all stagger and knockbacks, etc while reducing damage by 50%. Which colors are tied to what though I am not sure. I have been finding that talking to specific NPC's can sometimes give you huge hints as to what things do as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eopia posted:

Please explain how, the level scaling hits how many rank points you get in addition to exp, so I've been having a ton of trouble trying to level my second class line.

Anyone have any recommendations for making money? I love my skell and want to buy more frames, and I've saved up almost 2 mil, but I feel like I'm not really using frontiernav as best I can and research probes are so rare compared to mining ones... On that note, is there a way to buy probes rather than just finding them as treasure drops around the map?

Just keep committing mass murder. The nice thing is that when you get your Skell, you can continue leveling up your class while using it.

• Locked thread