Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Nopon thing is annoying and I want it gone.

Lin too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Who the gently caress dropped the ball at targeting in this game? I swear I have to hammer L and b several times to target some of these nonviolent quest enemies and its just loving horrible.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Who the gently caress dropped the ball at targeting in this game? I swear I have to hammer L and b several times to target some of these nonviolent quest enemies and its just loving horrible.

look at an enemy, press r, if you don't like your target, push r+a/y to swap right or left, push l to lock the camera, push right stick to lock onto a specific appendage

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't know why they switched away from the old system of using L/R to cycle forward/backward through nearby enemies. A bunch of the control decisions in this game are some weirdass Donkey Kong 64 poo poo where you combine a random trigger with a random face button.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Tender Bender posted:

I thought the L+A thing was funny the first time I saw it in a typical miiverse way. Then I found out that I'm going to basically play the entire game with a continuous stream of bad L+A jokes in the corner of my screen.

I read the manual section on overdrive and still don't get it, I figure I'll just wait to unlock it and then understand it an hour or two later like everything else in this game. From the description it sounds like you just pop it once your arts are all off cooldown and then spam them to make the numbers go up, but don't repeat the same colors back to back or the numbers won't go up. You get combat bonuses based on how high the numbers go. Is that right?

I just read this to clear myself up and now it makes perfect sense. If you ever played the first Xenoblade then Overdrive is just Chain Attacks that you do by yourself. Otherwise:

Whenever you hit an enemy with a Ranged or Melee Art you increase the Overdrive Counter, and it become the color of that art. You deal more damage, cool downs refresh faster, and enemies are less resistant to your attacks the higher your Overdrive Counter is. The big trick is that the Overdrive Counter doesn't go up when you change it's color from Red > Yellow or Yellow > Red. Instead use Support (Green), Debuff (Purple), or Aura (Blue) Arts in between your Ranged/Melee Arts in order to keep increasing the Counter.

So you basically want your Overdrive to look something like:
pre:
Melee Art [Red 1]
Melee Art [Red 2]
Debuff Art [Purple 2]
Ranged Art [Yellow 3]
Ranged Art [Yellow 4]
Buff Art [Green 4]
There are also bonuses for changing colors, but I haven't messed around with that yet. Some of the effects are really good and should be pretty easy to trigger, so you'll probably end up going something like:
pre:
Melee	[Red 1]
Debuff	[Purple 1](Color Change Bonus?)
Ranged	[Yellow 2](Color Change Bonus?)
Aura	[Blue 2](Color Change Bonus?)
Melee	[Red 3](Color Change Bonus?)
Buff	[Green 3](Color Change Bonus?)
Ranged	[Yellow 4](Color Change Bonus?)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

'Press L+A for an achievement lol!' If I hadn't discovered the icon on my pad for shutting that poo poo off, I'd be looking for ways to hurt these people.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't know why they switched away from the old system of using L/R to cycle forward/backward through nearby enemies. A bunch of the control decisions in this game are some weirdass Donkey Kong 64 poo poo where you combine a random trigger with a random face button.

I'm guessing it's the inclusion of being able to target appendages that accounts for the change, but even then, they should've mapped jump to a face button and put the appendages toggle on a trigger.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
psa: you will want to complete the side quest for L and that shop lady to survey 30% of oblivia asap, since doing so unlocks a way to add augment slots to gear.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'd prefer using shoulder buttons to change arts or something, I don't like having to sacrifice movement to do combat-important stuff. It was lame in Kingdom Hearts and it's lame here

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
But realtalk the lamest thing in this really cool game is the loving collection fetchquests

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Well, I feel a bit dumb now. I managed to completely misread skell frame prices, and thought each had an extra zero. So my two million credits just went towards buying a set of four skells and I still have 700k to spare.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I got my mech but the thing I've heard in reviews about losing them and the insurance stuff, I'm too scared to use it in combat.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Tipme posted:

I got my mech but the thing I've heard in reviews about losing them and the insurance stuff, I'm too scared to use it in combat.

skells have a ton of defense and can move really fast in vehicle mode, so the only way you're probably gonna get it wrecked is if you're punching way, way above your weight class. if you come across something that you think is gonna trash it before you can get away, just exit the skell.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Oh man, I just unlocked 3 new manufacturers via sidequests.

Later manufacturers seem a lit more focused than the first 4/5, they don't have every kind of weapon or armor available but they tend towards more extremes. Like the Nopon one focuses on ranged weapons and gives them longer cooldowns but also a ton more ammo (Nopon Machineguns have 48 to most 32). And the Nopon shield is loving hilarious.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have my Skell License Exam now, this feels like it's going to take forever. :smith:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I wish these menus were sorted better. Tinkering around with equipment is such a slog as it is.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The day has finally arrived: Introducing the LASTDANCER R-S99 Mk. I

Designed using a Lv. 30 Lailah frame, the LASTDANCER R-S99 was created to ensure the safety of human civilization from the Ganglion threat and even possibly bring the fight to the federation should that time come. The SKM-XM120GG Ringedge spare weapon can inflict severe external damage to enemy armor, making them vulnerable to beam-based attacks!

The LASTDANCER comes equipped with several of these, including the SKM-XXM1205A Beamsaber and the SRM-R230ME S-Missile.

Threats from dangerous encounters become managable thanks to the crippling capabilities of the shocking SRM-XXR120GG P-Cannon and the knockout SSM-R230SA F-Grenade! The sidearms featured on the LASTDANCER include the SHM-M130ME Heat-Edge which cuts through enemies like a hot knife through butter, and the SHM-R431SA Short-Rifle which targets structural weaknesses in a target to make them more susceptible to gravity-based attacks...

... which brings us to the most powerful weapon in the LASTDANCER R-S99 Mk.I's arsenal: The SSM-MX130SA G-Buster. This weapon is capable of utterly crushing foes under it's power and with a force of 22400, only the most massive tyrants will are capable of withstanding a single attack. One of the finest weapons currently developed by Sakuraba Industries.

(and then it all gets replaced shortly later of course!)

Now for the rest of the team which I will briefly introduce in the image below:

To the right is the Johnny.GAT, a tribute to one of the most enjoyable series of open-world games. To the left is the Wels.FARGO.

And that is the story of my R-Type Final insert ship mecha. Welp, time to roll out!

EDIT: My dude says hi

(I love this game)

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 7, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
get out of the thread, lin

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Honestly, for the collection sidequests, I just bit the bullet and paid 6 quid for the digital guide. Plus it also helped me find Mia, because god that girl is hard to find after her first mission.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Saigyouji posted:

Honestly, for the collection sidequests, I just bit the bullet and paid 6 quid for the digital guide. Plus it also helped me find Mia, because god that girl is hard to find after her first mission.

please tell me where to find her other quests, it's killing me.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wish there was a storage locker I could throw all this armor that I only keep for cosmetic purposes into, because the inventory is a big mess. I'm fine vendoring weapons though, right? There's no scrap mechanic?

Is your crit chance/power listed anywhere? Also do your damage stats take into account cooldowns and other stuff, or just raw damage?

MohShuvuu posted:

I spent most of yesterday as a partisan Eagle and wished that someone told me to grind it to 10 ASAP because Astral Crusader is literally 100x better due to Overwhelm.

Sweet, looking forward to it!

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
How does multiplayer work in this game? Can me and a couple of friends join up and do stuff together? I tried reading some basics on Reddit, but the post was textual bludgeonry and I couldn't figure it out.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I miss it being Reyn time. :(

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Chairman Pow! posted:

How does multiplayer work in this game? Can me and a couple of friends join up and do stuff together? I tried reading some basics on Reddit, but the post was textual bludgeonry and I couldn't figure it out.

all right so a little ways into the game you unlock squads, which are groups of up to 32 players that are a sort of passive multiplayer thing. in the bottom left corner of the screen you'll occasionally see a set of icons show up, those are squad tasks. hold r and press l to cycle through them and see if there are any you can do. they'll be stuff like kill x of a certain enemy. every player in the squad contributes to them. complete those and you get reward tickets, which can be used to start squad missions, which are isolated group quests where you can invite people in your squad to join you.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I think one of the strangest, most unexpected things for me in the game so far, is the teenage girl hating the whimsical anime puffball comic relief as much as me. At least for now.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Inflammatory posted:

please tell me where to find her other quests, it's killing me.

2nd Mission: Noctilum, Skybound Coil Tree (after Chapter 5)
3rd Mission: Oblivia, Leaning Ring (after Chapter 6)
4th Mission: Sylvalum, Cleansing Spring (after Chapter 9 and the Affinity Mission A Girl's Wings)
5th Mission: Cauldros, Ganglion Antropolis (after Chapter 11, the Normal Mission Definian Downfall, and surveying 80% of Cauldros)

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Chairman Pow! posted:

Not really. Think of it kinda like the old Phantasy Star Online in a way. Basically you can only play with actual people within instanced missions that squadmates can be invited to join. The rest are just passive asynchronous objectives people can do for rewards.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Kris xK posted:

I miss it being Reyn time. :(

Yeah the biggest sin of this game is that everyone doesn't have aggressively British accents

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Ugggh...at least he's not Chu Chu...

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Zelder posted:

Yeah the biggest sin of this game is that everyone doesn't have aggressively British accents

L reminds me constantly of Pops from Regular Show. That's aggressive something or other.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

They had to include Tatsu in the game, otherwise it wouldn't have had an annoying teenager. (Tatsu affinity quest spoiler-ish.)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Okay this is driving me insane due to my own brain problems related to exploring. How do you get into the other side of the cave near the waterfall by Biahno Lake? I can clearly see an opening in the big open area with the water, but there's no way to get to it from this side, so I assume there must be another entrance to this cave SOMEWHERE, but gently caress me if I can find it. There's probably nothing particularly special over there, but goddammit I wanna get there.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

When in doubt, assume it's a Skell/Flying Skell exclusive area

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
For all my D4 players out there, L is voiced by Duncan's va from the same game, Ray Chase. The man seems to have a knack for voicing goofy motherfuckers with weird speaking habits.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I wish the map marked caves and such. I found that Rock Cavern once and now I can't find my way back and I explored so much I forgot what hex it was in.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Med School posted:

Ugggh...at least he's not Chu Chu...

Hey now, don't lump Chu Chu in with Tatsu. At least Chu Chu was competent. Tatsu's just an idiot who wants to be Riki really, really bad.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Cooking him should be a legit option

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zelder posted:

They had Shulk and Fiora as custom voice options though.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Here's something to think about:

Robotech: Lin writes fan songs about her boyfriend piloting a mech.
XCX: Lin writes fan fiction about the mechs she pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Augus posted:

They had Shulk and Fiora as custom voice options though.

I just love how happy the Fiora voice sounds to be murdering everything.

• Locked thread