Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

stinkles1112 posted:

Gun owners are a "tribe" much the same way that people who drive Buicks are a "tribe"

Statistically, this is true - gun owners are more likely to be white, more likely to be male, and more likely to be conservative than the population as a whole. If you replace "tribe" with "market or demographic segment", you're not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

stinkles1112 posted:

Gun owners are a "tribe" much the same way that people who drive Buicks are a "tribe"

So yeah, they're a social group that people notice and judge differently based on inclusion or exclusion to that group.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
What is that YouTube channel of the US coalition fighting ISIS again? I want to link it with this CNN poll about 53% favoring ground troops against ISIS

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remember, it is anti-Ameircan to judge someone on their voluntary activities and associations, the only American way to judge is race/class/sex!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Dan Malloy of Connecticut was just elected the new chair of the Democratic Governors Association. He is really feisty so this will be interesting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think an association with three members might be a bit overkill.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/frankthorpNBC/status/673910271316877312

quote:

NEW Monmouth Poll for Iowa:

Cruz: 24
Trump: 19
Rubio: 17
Carson: 13
Bush: 6
Paul: 4

:dogbutton:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quick reminder before the thread loses it poo poo: Cruz isn't any more electable than Carson or Trump.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

zoux posted:

Quick reminder before the thread loses it poo poo: Cruz isn't any more electable than Carson or Trump.
Cruz and Trump are both probably a smidge more electable than Carson

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

I think an association with three members might be a bit overkill.

There's 18 members though?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

There's 18 members though?

Yeah it was a joke about the paucity of Dem governors, and 18 isn't much better actually.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

What is that YouTube channel of the US coalition fighting ISIS again? I want to link it with this CNN poll about 53% favoring ground troops against ISIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCgv7fFrpktGrcJtanYifRYw, via Fade5.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
I think I read recently (maybe in this thread) that Cruz's Iowa numbers are so high because that's the only place he's spent any money. It's a strategy to artificially extend his loss, rather than a strategy to secure a win.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

T. Bombastus posted:

I think I read recently (maybe in this thread) that Cruz's Iowa numbers are so high because that's the only place he's spent any money. It's a strategy to artificially extend his loss, rather than a strategy to secure a win.

Well, yeah, but losing Iowa would be a major blow for Trump and it's also obviously a story for Trump not winning.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

A guy on reddit, newly free of an NDA with the bookseller's company, is claiming that Mitt Romney was utterly convinced the President's trip to Utah earlier this year was a multimillion dollar elaborate smokescreen to crash a booksigning that Ann was holding on the same day, to the point of increasing security and demanding that the President not be allowed into the building.

Let's play the "how much of this is bullshit" game!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well, yeah, but losing Iowa would be a major blow for Trump and it's also obviously a story for Trump not winning.

It's also 3 months away so there's still plenty of time for movement.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Teddybear posted:

A guy on reddit, newly free of an NDA with the bookseller's company, is claiming that Mitt Romney was utterly convinced the President's trip to Utah earlier this year was a multimillion dollar elaborate smokescreen to crash a booksigning that Ann was holding on the same day, to the point of increasing security and demanding that the President not be allowed into the building.

Let's play the "how much of this is bullshit" game!

Every time I see Ann Romney's name in print, it involves her ever increasing sense of self importance.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wrong China! Clearly we should unleash Chiang.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I get "Video Not Found", thanks tho

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It auto-converted into a video format, apparently.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Requiring a specific, credible threat before alarming the public is too much work! We need something to remind us that there are non-specific, non-credible threats all around us.

quote:

Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson says he will soon announce a new national alert system aimed at better informing the public given the "new phase" of the global terrorist threat the U.S. is facing.

The department used to have a color-coded terror alert system that was put into place after Sept. 11, but that was replaced by the National Threat Advisory System (NTAS) in 2011.

Johnson said NTAS has never been used because it sets too high a bar, namely that it depends on there being a specific, credible threat to the homeland.

But, now, the U.S. is facing the prospect that people inspired by global terrorist groups may remain "below our radar and could act on a moment's notice."

That reality, he said, requires a new system that has an "intermediate level" to it and he expects to announce what the new system is in the coming days.

The goal of the system would be to inform the public at large – rather than allowing the public to get information piecemeal through news leaks — tell them what the government is doing about it, and what the government is asking the public to do.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Requiring a specific, credible threat before alarming the public is too much work! We need something to remind us that there are non-specific, non-credible threats all around us.

There's no real threat, but be afraid anyway? What?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Riosan posted:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Riosan posted:

Conceptually it sounds like "Here's the things we're aware of and investigating, not just the things we're certain about," which sounds to me like an excellent way to warn anyone actually planning anything to pack up shop, so surely it can't be that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The average American consumes an average of seven terrorists while they sleep every year.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Was there ever a time where the threat level went below Yellow? What a farce

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I had Thai food for lunch. Take that, Tojo!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mr Jaunts posted:

No. Before scrapping it a recommendation was to drop green and blue and make yellow the new green.

France's has been at maximum since January.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mr Jaunts posted:

according to wiki, no

"The threat level was never lowered to Low (Green) or Guarded (Blue) (page 12)."

e: lol the final page has examples of what each level could look like and doesn't even include blue or green. there were literally no criteria to meet.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 7, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

No. Before scrapping it a recommendation was to drop green and blue and make yellow the new green.

France's has been at maximum since January.

I didn't know colors could inflate in value and yet, here we are.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Muscle Tracer posted:

according to wiki, no

"The threat level was never lowered to Low (Green) or Guarded (Blue) (page 12)."

e: lol the final page has examples of what each level could look like and doesn't even include blue or green. there were literally no criteria to meet.

The system works! :v:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I got 100/100 on this Name that Senator game. Some of them are tough because it's a dark photo and their face is hard to make out.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gravel Gravy posted:

I didn't know colors could inflate in value and yet, here we are.

Just be glad we never got to The Cover of Rush's Album Moving Pictures threat level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5wziWMEPE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a good article about how volatile the Iowa caucus voters are, even up until the day of. So bookmark this the next time an Iowa poll convinces you that Carson is gonna be president.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

Here's a good article about how volatile the Iowa caucus voters are, even up until the day of. So bookmark this the next time an Iowa poll convinces you that Carson is gonna be president.

I mean, these are the people who voted for the candidate who assured them that she knows how to castrate a hog after all.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

I got 100/100 on this Name that Senator game. Some of them are tough because it's a dark photo and their face is hard to make out.

God you're a dork and I love you.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Joementum posted:

Of course you got 100

I got 68 and I only knew about a third of those from process of elimination.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Joementum posted:

I had Thai food for lunch. Take that, Tojo!

thailand was a fascist ally of imperial japan? :confused:

you're going to end up in one of Eternal President Trump's camps acting like that

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

I'd be severely disappointed if you didn't get a perfect score on that.

JFC, these people will get upset about anything.

• Locked thread