Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

I don't care if its a Cummins. And yeah, Cummins get overdone too for the same reason as the LS: Community support and availability for Cummins is everywhere.

And I'd be behind an awesome Junkers Jumo 205 powered vehicle.

So what diesel would you prefer to put in it?

6.2: gently caress, no turbo, no power, gutless hunk of poo poo
6.5: sometimes no turbo, otherwise, still a gutless hunk of poo poo
6.5 duramax: alright, but expensive
7.3/T444e: alright, but expensive
5.9: alright, but expensive
8.3: alright, but expensive
VW TDI: alright, but expensive
VW V10 TDI: alright, but costs more than some small african nations GDP
2.1 renault: good loving luck ever finding any parts for this tiny, slow, gutless turd
OM series: alright, but gutless AND expensive
2.5 VM: people want a mint for these for some reason
Cat: big, expensive, yellow-tax
Detroit: big, HEAVY, don't turn very fast, expensive

Seriously, if you have an idea for a place to get a cheap, good, powerful diesel, I'm all ears. Don't get me wrong, I want a 5.9 or 8.3 for my 5 ton, and if I won the lottery I'd stick a V10 TDI in an MJ just for the cool factor, but there aint no such thing as a good, cheap, powerful diesel to swap into stuff as far as I can tell. They all have a pricetag attached, are gutless, or are a piece of poo poo. Some are two or three of those things in fact.

e: meanwhile, here's what you can do with a junkyard $300 LM7 5.3L iron block V8. I can go to the local picknpull and buy six of those tomorrow if I want to.
LM7 factory 343hp/372tq
tune alone 363/385
cam+tune 385/412
cam+tune+heads 424/423
cam+tune+heads+intake+throttle body 445/434

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/project-cars/sucp-1111-5-3l-ls-small-block-build/

A properly done, clean vortec swap with a well built harness and as many factory parts used as possible (I'm more impressed by clever reuse of unmodified factory parts in interesting ways to make a swap work than by shotgunning custom aftermarket parts at a problem) is a work of art in and of itself.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Meh, the LS thing just gets to me because I constantly run into people going on about their LS swaps in *Insert Car Here* at nearly every car meet.

Going to car meets is your problem then.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Adiabatic posted:

Ohhh so you're just contrarian about everything, got it.

No, you see, the thing was cool before, but now everyone likes the thing so it is now bad. He's totally into that stuff you've never heard of, they're like, way better than that stuff everyone likes.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

CommieGIR posted:

Meh, the LS thing just gets to me because I constantly run into people going on about their LS swaps in *Insert Car Here* at nearly every car meet.

My interpretation (because clearly everyone is asking me) is more about the special snowflake treatment for something that really no longer is.

To each their own, and I definitely can get behind this idea. The LS is a cool and $/performance amazing motor. But there's nothing NEW that's really coming. MegaSquirt is kinda there in the sense that the upswing in usability/popularity is flattening (from my VERY limited perception into this topic).

There's not a lot of new/unique fabrication. Show me your homebrew hybrid (as in electric {"torquefill", etc) that you stuffed in your abarth to make it AWD. then we're talking.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Aaaaaaand now I have to get into reloading.

The cheapest I can find .458 Lott is $4.50/rd. That's $90 for a box of 20.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

No, you see, the thing was cool before, but now everyone likes the thing so it is now bad. He's totally into that stuff you've never heard of, they're like, way better than that stuff everyone likes.

Yes, and don't comment on my skinny jeans and the bands I like that you've never heard of :colbert:

kastein posted:

So what diesel would you prefer to put in it?

6.2: gently caress, no turbo, no power, gutless hunk of poo poo
6.5: sometimes no turbo, otherwise, still a gutless hunk of poo poo
6.5 duramax: alright, but expensive
7.3/T444e: alright, but expensive
5.9: alright, but expensive
8.3: alright, but expensive
VW TDI: alright, but expensive
VW V10 TDI: alright, but costs more than some small african nations GDP
2.1 renault: good loving luck ever finding any parts for this tiny, slow, gutless turd
OM series: alright, but gutless AND expensive
2.5 VM: people want a mint for these for some reason
Cat: big, expensive, yellow-tax
Detroit: big, HEAVY, don't turn very fast, expensive

Seriously, if you have an idea for a place to get a cheap, good, powerful diesel, I'm all ears. Don't get me wrong, I want a 5.9 or 8.3 for my 5 ton, and if I won the lottery I'd stick a V10 TDI in an MJ just for the cool factor, but there aint no such thing as a good, cheap, powerful diesel to swap into stuff as far as I can tell. They all have a pricetag attached, are gutless, or are a piece of poo poo. Some are two or three of those things in fact.

That was just a joke, but yeah that just made me kinda...meh. I've heard the phrase 'I want to LS swap *insert car here* at least 6 times today.

And you can pick up TDI motors fairly cheap. Not the V10, sure but I can find 1.9ls pretty commonly for around $400.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ssjonizuka posted:

My interpretation (because clearly everyone is asking me) is more about the special snowflake treatment for something that really no longer is.

To each their own, and I definitely can get behind this idea. The LS is a cool and $/performance amazing motor. But there's nothing NEW that's really coming. MegaSquirt is kinda there in the sense that the upswing in usability/popularity is flattening (from my VERY limited perception into this topic).

There's not a lot of new/unique fabrication. Show me your homebrew hybrid (as in electric {"torquefill", etc) that you stuffed in your abarth to make it AWD. then we're talking.

Why does something have to be never done before to be interesting? Isn't a sweet motor in a sweet car good enough?

I mean, yeah, the supercharged, intercooled-with-AC fuel-injected rear-engined flathead that someone put together in their garage is more interesting, but that doesn't make a regular car with a good V8 in it any less cool. I'd argue that if they had swapped some bizarre motor in there, we'd all be like "why'd you do that? Why not an LS?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

I'd argue that if they had swapped some bizarre motor in there, we'd all be like "why'd you do that? Why not an LS?"

And there's my point.

Why would you do that? Someone does something different and its suddenly: "Why didn't you do the same thing everyone else did?"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

but I can find 1.9ls pretty commonly for around $400.

That's not bad I guess. I can't find em for that up here, sadly.

viggedit: I'm after performance for the money and a well done swap using as many OEM parts as possible, not unique factor. Which is why I end up doing silly poo poo like putting a 4.0 in a friend's dad's CJ using Mustang, XJ, ZJ, Dakota, and BMW parts.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 7, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Adiabatic posted:

But a box of 20 will last you, what, four or five range days? (and two or three rotator cuffs?)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CommieGIR posted:

And there's my point.

Why would you do that? Someone does something different and its suddenly: "Why didn't you do the same thing everyone else did?"

Because they went through all that work and don't have much to show for it?

I mean, yeah it's cool that you put a stovebolt six in your miata, but what does that get you?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

The AHU is really cheap and common, and parts tend to be extremely easy to get ahold of. The ALH is a little more rare and pricey because they tend to come on Automatics and have the larger injection pumps, I took a risk when I bought mine for $200 out of that Beetle that had a head on collision.

Raluek posted:

Because they went through all that work and don't have much to show for it?

I mean, yeah it's cool that you put a stovebolt six in your miata, but what does that get you?

Here's the thing, and its what I think the V8 crowd tends to forget: Displacement CAN be replaced, and you don't have to break 500 HP to have a really fun and possibly even competitive car.

Is it cheaper? Probably not. But in the end, you can do plenty of fun things with a 250-350 HP inline 4/5/6. It doesn't have to turn into 'Man, I've got so much displacement and that V8 feel...'

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Adiabatic posted:

Welcome to the world of Dillon!

Well, unless you want to do single stage reloading like old codgers and load like 30 rounds in an hour. Maybe.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

Reminds me of people that don't like a popular thing but are into the alternative thing just to spite the popular thing.

"What, you listen to Classic rock!? That sucks, everybody listens to that so i listen to avant-garde because it's super unpopular and cool" (goes home and listens to Led Zeppelin)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I want to LS swap my dog.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I would take an LS swap in either of my two cars if someones offering.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

leica posted:

Reminds me of people that don't like a popular thing but are into the alternative thing just to spite the popular thing.

"What, you listen to Classic rock!? That sucks, everybody listens to that so i listen to avant-garde because it's super unpopular and cool" (goes home and listens to Led Zeppelin)

only russian post noise metal is acceptable

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How do I swap a Lada engine into my Scirocco?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

How do I swap a Lada engine into my Scirocco?

Someone did the reverse to a Lada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXi0ARab134

gently caress, I know I'm whiney guys, and I'm sorry, but its like a personal tick I have. Sorry.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

El Jebus posted:

Portland Timbers just won the MLS cup. 2015 is wrapping up nicely.

Where's that fuck2015 gif when you need it?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

kastein posted:

viggedit: I'm after performance for the money and a well done swap using as many OEM parts as possible, not unique factor. Which is why I end up doing silly poo poo like putting a 4.0 in a friend's dad's CJ using Mustang, XJ, ZJ, Dakota, and BMW parts.

I hope the BMW parts weren't plastic!

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Today i hosed up and let my apprentice change an alternator regulator without me watching him. The engine managed 2 turns before it stopped dead. Red hot battery cables, completely dead on the key. Checked all the big battery fuses which were fine. Checked voltages on the batteries. 5 volts, gently caress, should be 24v. Put the cab back over and check what he's done, turns out if you leave the live wire off the alternator and leave it resting on the alternator body you get what we like to call a short circuit.

In the end while i was loving around one of the batteries blew up, so i changed them both and she fired straight up. Vroom.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Alarbus posted:

I hope the BMW parts weren't plastic!

Sorta. I scavenged a chassis passthrough for battery wiring from a rear battery mount BMW SUV for it. It's mostly plastic with one threaded stud and some rubber gaskets, should be fine since it's not touching coolant :v:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah seriously, it's like me saying "I love my .45-70 and all you dudes that actually hunt with .30-06 are sheep".

This is accurate and true. .45-70 for life, or 7.5x55 :P

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The Locator posted:

Welcome to the world of Dillon!

Well, unless you want to do single stage reloading like old codgers and load like 30 rounds in an hour. Maybe.

I'm perfectly okay with reloading 30 rounds per hour of .45-70 Government, .458 Win Mag, and .458 Lott.

Just ran the numbers, and here's the reloading breakdown, per round:
code:
.458 Lott             New:              $4.50
                      Reload w/ shell:  $2.63
                      Reload w/o shell: $1.39

.458 Win Mag          New:              $4.50
                      Reload w/ shell:  $2.44
                      Reload w/o shell: $1.34

.45-70 Gov't          New:              $1.50
                      Reload w/ shell:  $1.04
                      Reload w/o shell: $0.52
If I could find some super cheap 500 gr .458 bullets, I could cut the first two prices by 25 or 50% probably.

Only costs $800 up front to get started reloading, too :sun:

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

El Jebus posted:

It's a schooner.

I said lets get poinsettias and the wife informed me they were poisonous to cats and I responded with: exactly!

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp

Turns they aren't poisonous.
Just don't eat the whole plant, which should be a rule of thumb for anything decorative.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

Do you want that reloading press Motronic ended up not snagging?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yessssssssss

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

LS Swaps: Let's put the same damned engine in every car because whats the point in having something unique.

LS1 swaps suck because the LS1 is a thin walled piece of poo poo. START with a loving L98 or GTFO. LS3? Yeah now we're talking!

Altho after owning a L-series V8 powered car for nearly three years, I still prefer turbo four bangers. Sure, torque, lovely cruise, wakes up the dead over 4000 rpm..... but eh I'm still cold on it. I'm just not interested or particularly caring even if it does pull a mean burnout - I honestly prefer driving a 16 year old NA 2 litre Forester. If there was still a hatch STI I'd be considering a trade-in

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Going to car meets is your problem then.

I went to a car meet once around 2003 and quickly figured out that wasn't my scene since it's a bunch of dudes spergin' over numbers and RARE, ONE OF A KIND, 1 OFF things that were inevitably Mid-America bolt on's. I'm the guy that goes to car shows for my own enjoyment to look at cars and doesn't talk to anybody about their car.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

LS1 swaps suck because the LS1 is a thin walled piece of poo poo. START with a loving L98 or GTFO. LS3? Yeah now we're talking!

Altho after owning a L-series V8 powered car for nearly three years, I still prefer turbo four bangers. Sure, torque, lovely cruise, wakes up the dead over 4000 rpm..... but eh I'm still cold on it. I'm just not interested or particularly caring even if it does pull a mean burnout - I honestly prefer driving a 16 year old NA 2 litre Forester. If there was still a hatch STI I'd be considering a trade-in

http://imgur.com/a/K2zax

Look, we can ALL be happy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ozmiander posted:

Totally ruined.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ozmiander posted:

Haha, this fuckin' owns.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

blindjoe posted:

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp

Turns they aren't poisonous.
Just don't eat the whole plant, which should be a rule of thumb for anything decorative.

Stop ruining my plans to poison the cats, Mr. Blind Joe, if that's even your real name!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This story is awesome, thief gets what he deserves:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...puties_say.html

quote:

BAREFOOT BAY --

An accused burglar whom authorities say hid in a pond while on the run was killed by an 11-foot alligator, Brevard County deputies say.

Matthew Riggins, 22, of Palm Bay was reported missing Nov. 13. His body was found floating in a pond near Latan Court and Barefoot Circle in Barefoot Bay 10 days later, and investigators said it had the makings of a gator attack.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Finished Transformers Devastation (which was loving awesome). Felt the desire to honour Sideswipe who was my man throughout the game and purchase a Transformer of him. Got sidetracked and my Transformer collector friend told me I needed to pick up a Bluestreak as the mould on him is pretty great. Ended up getting the Smokescreen variation because Datsun race car.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

These Anker braided USB to Micro USB cables are the poo poo. Thanks to whoever suggested them.

The final Christmas present for the year just came in. As a lot of you know, our family yellow lab passed away a couple months ago. I follow this very photogenic golden retriever on Instagram. He recently passed away from cancer as well and hos owner made a 2016 calendar with his pictures. The last page is a dedication page to all fellow dogs who passed due to cancer, so I got my Anna Banana put on the page. My parents are gonna start balling when I give it to them.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DJ Commie posted:

Seriously, its been a long time!

In it, voted whatever.

Due to my dad's Alzheimer's and the fact his home care aren't really caring about him, I get the task to tell dad, who is currently in hospital, that he can't go home.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You Am I posted:

In it, voted whatever.

Due to my dad's Alzheimer's and the fact his home care aren't really caring about him, I get the task to tell dad, who is currently in hospital, that he can't go home.

gently caress, that's harsh. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You Am I posted:

I ended up being the first person to visit my grandmother with dementia in hospice after they moved her out of her home that my grandfather built and had lived in for 60 years.

poo poo was rough as hell, just remember they're confused and frustrated at being in a situation they don't fully understand not you directly. Wish the best for you.

• Locked thread