Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheCenturion posted:

No, you're complaining that the game says 'this game is currently designed such that you must do all the purple quests, OR you must do half the purple quests plus other stuff.' You want to do half of the purple quests, and no other stuff. You might as well complain that Chess doesn't let you have your pawns execute long-range artillery strikes.

Correct, that is my argument.

I don't play chess, so I'll take your word that that would be an improvement.

TheCenturion posted:

Good thing you didn't play at launch.....

I said as much when I started playing and 12x xp was active. I wouldn't have even considered subscribing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Digital Osmosis posted:

Would xp boosts from the cartel store let me get by on just class quests alone?

No. The combined Legacy Class & Exploration xp plus the 25% boosters don't quite make up the difference. Not far off, but you'll need to find a few levels elsewhere.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

sassassin posted:

Correct, that is my argument.

It's not an argument. It's whining.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is the credit handicap for Preferred per character or spread over the account?

Verranicus posted:

It's not an argument. It's whining.

That's your argument.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Full patch notes for tomorrow

quote:

many Companions have considerably reduced their nudist tendencies within Strongholds.

E: Thank you!

quote:

The Ice Scrabbler Jerky Schematic now only drops on Hoth or Ilum, and its drop rate has been reduced.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 7, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

sassassin posted:

Is the credit handicap for Preferred per character or spread over the account?

That's your argument.

This game is not the game you wish it to be. That's pretty much what it boils down to here. The rate of levelling is unparalleled in pretty much any MMO.

I'd agree it would be intolerable if it was less than what it was because the fundamental gameplay is not sufficiently compelling to carry it. But expecting someone to complete two quest chains to remain current isn't particularly crazy.

It seems like your issue is that you refuse to acknowledge that you're playing an MMO instead of KOTOR 3, even when that stark reality is staring you in the face.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sassassin posted:

I do not want to gain levels. I want to experience the story content Bioware have produced.

...Have you never played an MMO before? Even ones with decent story content are level-gated. And that's OK. During special events, maybe, they'd expect you to do class quests and that's it--but you're not exploring anything else at all? Really?

No more No Pants Tuesday? Thanks BIOFAIL :mad:

quote:

The Ice Scrabbler Jerky Schematic now only drops on Hoth or Ilum, and its drop rate has been reduced.

Can't believe it took this long for them to address this, but it was more "mild annoyance/thing to laugh about in guild chat" than "gamebreaking bug".

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 7, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The arguments that "most mmos are worse" and "this is an mmo" don't really hold water when this very game recently did exactly what I am saying would be good.

12x xp was probably a bit much and it was poorly integrated (in that non-class quests offered a pittance in comparison which made them feel worthless), but you could absolutely consume the class storylines as if this were KOTOR3 (with substantial minigames, co-op mode and 8 distinct storylines).

8x would be seamless (if the player chose to invest in appropriate xp buffs), and it's not like it would throw anything else off as most people playing this like a normal mmo are overlevelled either way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

As for why most MMOs give you a levelling period at all:

It's a tutorial. The entire function of a levelling curve is to give you time and scenarios in which to get used to how your class/spec works and for keybinds to become intuitive.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

sassassin posted:

The arguments that "most mmos are worse" and "this is an mmo" don't really hold water when this very game recently did exactly what I am saying would be good.

12x xp was probably a bit much and it was poorly integrated (in that non-class quests offered a pittance in comparison which made them feel worthless), but you could absolutely consume the class storylines as if this were KOTOR3 (with substantial minigames, co-op mode and 8 distinct storylines).

8x would be seamless (if the player chose to invest in appropriate xp buffs), and it's not like it would throw anything else off as most people playing this like a normal mmo are overlevelled either way.

12x didn't just devalue other quests, it devalued all other content. There were no low-level FP groups and no low-level PVP games going on with 12x. That's why BW isn't going back to it, they want to make other content worth doing as well.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

sassassin posted:

You have bad opinions.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

Can't believe it took this long for them to address this, but it was more "mild annoyance/thing to laugh about in guild chat" than "gamebreaking bug".

You think that's taken long?

Patch notes posted:

Fixed an issue that prevented players from receiving credit for kills towards the “Kill it with Fire” Achievement.

This achievement has been broken since it was added at Makeb launch.

e: Patch notes say that was early April, 2013.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nipponophile posted:

You think that's taken long?

This achievement has been broken since it was added at Makeb launch.

e: Patch notes say that was early April, 2013.

:stare: drat.

So what happens when KotFE finally ends? Do we get more story-driven expansions? Or do we get SWTOR 2?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

quote:

Items + Economy
Fixed an issue where equipment wouldn’t suffer durability loss.

Well, that was fun while it lasted.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Medullah posted:

Well, that was fun while it lasted.

gently caress.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

quote:

Fixed an issue that caused the Ziost storyline to not progress following the Mission “Monolithic.”

I forget who it was, but somebody in guild is gonna be really happy.

quote:

The following Flashpoints have been added to the Mission “[Weekly] Tactical Flashpoints.” This will cause the Mission to be reset:

Taral V
Boarding Party
Maelstrom Prison
The Foundry
Directive 7
The Battle of Ilum
The False Emperor
Kuat Drive Yards

Finally, I can actually run randoms and not worry about it.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
So, at level 65, do all the alliance contact alerts (after the first few familiar faces) follow the same star fortress + heroic star fortress pattern? I was able to solo the first heroic star fortress I tried, but I wouldn't really say it was super enjoyable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jedi posted:

Finally, I can actually run randoms and not worry about it.

Yeah they're also reducing the rewards for tacticals making them less appealing anyway.

Guess I'd better do one tonight since my assassin is 4/5 and it's taken two months to get there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jedi posted:

It's less "really happy" and more "less mad" :argh:

Or I will be once my replacement video card gets here anyway :argh:

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

peer posted:

So, at level 65, do all the alliance contact alerts (after the first few familiar faces) follow the same star fortress + heroic star fortress pattern? I was able to solo the first heroic star fortress I tried, but I wouldn't really say it was super enjoyable.

The six Star Fortress alerts that grant companions are similar. After the first one, you can start each heroic Star Fortress directly without the normal version. There are a total of six and they differ only slightly in that each final boss has different abilities.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Woohoo Concealment no longer obsolete in PvP. Overall burst going down means TTK going up which is an indirect buff to Corruption which is arguably already the most unbalanced spec in PvP.

Still can't believe they are straight up nerfing Lethality i.e. the worst spec in the game. Just seems spiteful.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Promethium posted:

The six Star Fortress alerts that grant companions are similar. After the first one, you can start each heroic Star Fortress directly without the normal version. There are a total of six and they differ only slightly in that each final boss has different abilities.

Okay, thanks. None of the star fortress companions really caught my eye except the slug dude, so I guess I'll sit tight for the next story chapter instead :shobon:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Verranicus posted:

Is this your first MMO ever or something? Holy poo poo.

If this is your first character, all the quests should be new to you and worth doing once. I've been following a flowchart that shows what order to do the content to see the story chronologicaly and none of it has felt like grinding or having to step away from the story. You're just being stubborn or trolling at this point.

This is a really neat flowchart, thanks. I think I'll try and take both a Republic and Imperial character through the full thing (minus the operations) over the Christmas break to see the complete story. I levelled my first character back before there were any experience boosts (all the rest were done under 12x exp skipping the non class story quests) so I've done all of the quests everywhere up to Makeb but I haven't done most of the flashpoints so it'll be interesting seeing how those add to the story.

E: I gotta say though that I felt that just doing the class story was a little disjointed compared to my original character. I think the problem is that just doing the class story is missing out on all the little bits and pieces of the planetary stuff (and in particular all of the stuff from the class stories+companion quests that actually causes things to happen on the planets) so it'll be interesting to see it again given that I now know what happens in all of the class stories.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 7, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Woohoo Concealment no longer obsolete in PvP. Overall burst going down means TTK going up which is an indirect buff to Corruption which is arguably already the most unbalanced spec in PvP.

Still can't believe they are straight up nerfing Lethality i.e. the worst spec in the game. Just seems spiteful.

I was going to say "wait what, isn't Fury/Conc the worst?" but then I realized you were speaking in terms of PvP.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mercurius posted:

This is a really neat flowchart, thanks. I think I'll try and take both a Republic and Imperial character through the full thing (minus the operations) over the Christmas break to see the complete story. I levelled my first character back before there were any experience boosts (all the rest were done under 12x exp skipping the non class story quests) so I've done all of the quests everywhere up to Makeb but I haven't done most of the flashpoints so it'll be interesting seeing how those add to the story.

E: I gotta say though that I felt that just doing the class story was a little disjointed compared to my original character. I think the problem is that just doing the class story is missing out on all the little bits and pieces of the planetary stuff (and in particular all of the stuff from the class stories+companion quests that actually causes things to happen on the planets) so it'll be interesting to see it again given that I now know what happens in all of the class stories.

The ops are actually way easier to see now than they were before, so don't blow them off just like that. But yeah, I'm liking the flowchart and even though I'm on Hoth at level 57 it doesn't feel like a grind.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Verranicus posted:

The ops are actually way easier to see now than they were before, so don't blow them off just like that. But yeah, I'm liking the flowchart and even though I'm on Hoth at level 57 it doesn't feel like a grind.
I know they're easier, it's more that I don't have the time to sit down for more than an hour or so at a time so I just simply can't swing the time required. I'll do them at some point :v:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Hulk Smash! posted:

Are we missing anyone from the opening cinematic at this point? We have Satele's set, the trooper set, Malgus, Shae Vizla's, the generic sith mooks armor, the Jedi dude that gets stabbed on Coruscant, and Niko's coat.

Whats the Shae Vizla set? I settled on this dumb golden armour for my BH, but only because I never managed to find this one.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Wuxi posted:

Whats the Shae Vizla set? I settled on this dumb golden armour for my BH, but only because I never managed to find this one.

Check out the Mandalore sets (Mandalore the Uncompromising, Mandalore the Preserver, etc. etc.)- there's several of them, and all are fairly appropriate for a BH.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I was going to say "wait what, isn't Fury/Conc the worst?" but then I realized you were speaking in terms of PvP.

Lethality and Fury are pretty much on the same level in PvE...viable if you're a masochist but your rotation needs to be absolutely perfect at the NiM level. At least Maras can switch to a viable spec while Ops have Concealment which is even worse in most NiM Ops. I would be really interested to see the data from which Bioware drew the conclusion that Lethality needed a nerf.

Changing Carbine Burst from a cone to a ground based 8m AoE would instantly change the viability of the spec.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Wuxi posted:

It's called something Shae Vizla, so search for that on the GTN. Might not have a lot of pieces for sale though and what there is will be expensive.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hulk Smash! posted:

It's called something Shae Vizla, so search for that on the GTN. Might not have a lot of pieces for sale though and what there is will be expensive.

This one?

Shae Vizla

peer posted:

I was able to solo the first heroic star fortress I tried, but I wouldn't really say it was super enjoyable.

I started with Tatooine. I had a terrible time with the final fight; not looking forward to the rest of them. (Although I suppose I shouldn't complain too much; it was a "heroic" mission.)

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Fuzz posted:

I cannot wait for this oh man.

Did you get my email, by the way? Never got a response.

Ah yes, I did. I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been COMPLETELY swamped with making pixels to put on your monitors.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

nonentity posted:

Ah yes, I did. I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been COMPLETELY swamped with making pixels to put on your monitors.

I am okay with this, and I'm glad my suggestion of (what would become) Farmhand Blue made it in! Need that crystal, hells yes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Please yell at your shop team colleagues and make them put up the regular blade shotos you previewed months ago up.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

nonentity posted:

Please give us a mount that looks like the Death Star, tia

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

That's the one

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Yeah, thats the one, thanks. Pretty easy to find in hindsight, for my defense I didn't even know what she was called before I did Rishi a few weeks ago :shrug:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

if we're giving feedback to the cartel market dudes, I wish they'd make cartel packs worth buying and no adding another main item roll doesn't do it when the consolation prizes in each pack are garbage.

it'd be nice to get cartel certificates again, I'd like some of the stuff on those vendors.

it'd be nice if the crates were 2 armor boxes, 1 random dye/crystal/decoration instead of a companion gift, and maybe a special ultra-rare slot item to chase for those kinda people.

I want to waste money on this game, but the value in the crates right now is pretty loving sad. More chances at the one armor set I want ain't gonna do it, I'd at least like a better consolation prize than a lesser quality item than what I get in a daily heroic 2+.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm gonna gear out my main 65 to start joining up for HM when I can find the time. Can someone refresh me what I should be crafting? I have access to $50+ mil credits, all crafting/crew skills maxed, etc. so anything that can be crafted I can easily make myself. So far I think its augments for every piece of gear, and +crit augs in each?

Character is a Sith Sorc, if there's a difference b/w healer and dps I'll just make 2 sets of gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iRoNgHosT
Mar 10, 2003

www.fusionball.com
Just came back to the game. Haven't played since launch, and I'm quite impressed as to how good it is now!

How is the player population now?

In as an Imperial on Jedi Covenant named Agilancer.

• Locked thread