Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

You learn of at least one confirmed synth imposter on an Institute terminal - that you can't do anything about.

I went to confront him afterwards and he's like "Thanks for helping with those super mutants!" and then John Fallout wants to barter with him.

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about (Warwick) you get a quest dealing with that later from the Institute. Take X6-88 with you for some color commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

khy posted:

Question regarding Codsworth. I picked a name that's on his list of approved names (Sadly it isn't "Mr Boobies") and now I am wondering if he'll call me by name while I adventure in the world, or if it was ONLY that one tiny bit in the prolog.

He'll keep saying it before various lines throughout the game. Its...not so great. The tone he says your name often varies wildly from that of the line he follows it with. But yes, he will try to give an emotional speech about how much he cares for your family and then say MR. FUCKFACE during the middle of it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Just wrapped up my first playthrough. Some random thoughts:

Bethesda still can't write very well but at least this is better than Skyrim

It is pathetically easy to level up, I think I was lvl 40 before the BoS showed up. No level cap was a surprise though, and I'm not certain it's a good one.

Ended up going with the railroad endgame though I can't say I liked any of the factions all that much. May just go minutemen next time.

(institute spoiler) stabbing Paul in the face was very cathartic after systematically undermining his organization a few times

Kind of wish the perks weren't so useless most of the time. Feels like you can get by very well with none of your SPECIAL stats over 4.

Went melee/sneak for this build and my god is it OP as gently caress.

Gonna miss my character though: badass takes no poo poo mom:

Courtenay Taylor really gave a drat good performance on a lot of the lines (minus the psycho lines unfortunately, Brian Delaney's loving KIIIILLL is just great)

gently caress. You. Kellogg. (I am gonna take a wear that sweet jacket though)

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 8, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Truly the most dangerous weapon of all...

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

So is anyone playing the PC version of this with an older controller? I have a 360 controller I use but obviously this game wasn't designed with that in mind so I wondered if it was going to cause major issues. I don't mind doing stuff like menus and the settlement building with mouse and keyboard, combat is mainly what I'm concerned with.

Colgate posted:

Oh, wow, I thought something was up when I was suddenly one-shotting everything on Spectacle Island after taking all my damage increasing drugs/food. Wasn't aware there was a bug with that.

Apparently instead of the +10 melee damage, it ends up giving you something like a 500% increase. On the other hand rank 5 of the Big Leagues perk is bugged and may reduce your damage so melee is really messed up. :v:

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

coyo7e posted:

Or just tell him to fight you and everybody will attack you instead. It is funny how they all just hide in corners and let you kill them anyway after the fight though.

It was a blade runner reference, to screen for synths. :ssh:

Ruth Bader Ginsberg isnt just some elderly judge/lawyer, she's a stone pimp and one of the only things protecting america from itself. :911:

CORRECT.

And on that note, Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Silver Shroud quest is the most amazing payoff I could ever hope for with this gimmick... I'm gonna redo it and take screenshots.

I also renamed the junk jet JUSTICE JET and cheated in a bunch of trifold American flags to murder people with.

:911:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So for those who've completed FO4's main quest, would you say it's better or worse than FO3's epic struggle wherein everyone fights over who gets to be the person who actually turns on the purifier that every single faction wants to be turned on and is inexplicably fighting over who gets to press the buttons and do it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

khy posted:

So for those who've completed FO4's main quest, would you say it's better or worse than FO3's epic struggle wherein everyone fights over who gets to be the person who actually turns on the purifier that every single faction wants to be turned on and is inexplicably fighting over who gets to press the buttons and do it.

Better but now it's three factions falling over themselves to blow up the fourth one and all but one are kind of lovely people (the fourth is just sort of useless people but they get artillery cannons).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

khy posted:

sort of. It's difficult to gauge because while the factions will straight up tell you what they want done they don't really go into much depth as to why or how they're going to go about their goals. The writing is also frustratingly myopic sometimes in the sense that there ought to be a third solution to problems that are presented as binary, but the writers either couldn't or wouldn't accommodate it

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rhjamiz posted:

Viva, you fool. The Brotherhood of Steel is the only true ending. They're competent, they're successful, and they're exactly the heavy-handed assholes the Wasteland clearly deserves, what with what must be easily two-thirds of its population turned psycho-raider or murderous thug.\

Also, they don't immediately make you their leader while simultaneously demanding you do everything personally.

Watch a BoS Vertibird or ground patrol for more than a couple minutes and your opinion of them as "competent and successful" will change real fast.

...and the BoS is like the one faction where putting you in charge really would have been better than the alternative.

khy posted:

I literally can't think of an ending worse than FO3's, so I think you're safe.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 8, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I immensely regret helping Travis grow a spine. Diamond City Radio wasn't the pinnacle of anything, but it was at least amusing when he was a nervous wreck.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i am tim! posted:

I immensely regret helping Travis grow a spine. Diamond City Radio wasn't the pinnacle of anything, but it was at least amusing when he was a nervous wreck.
you can apparently make him go back to bein' a wreck by beating up dogmeat in front of him a bunch (???)

also boy am i excited for fallout 4!!

DwarvenZombie
Aug 3, 2014
That railway rifle babyyyy, love "nailing" chicks on a wall.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

khy posted:

It came out on Gamecube, and it was a very competent port (Minus the VDU minigame). If you have a gamecube or wii you can grab it and play it there.

Still one of my all-time favorite jRPG games. Especially ship combat oh god how I love the ship-to-ship combat once you get the delphinus.

OFF TOPIC BACK TO FALLOUT

Question regarding Codsworth. I picked a name that's on his list of approved names (Sadly it isn't "Mr Boobies") and now I am wondering if he'll call me by name while I adventure in the world, or if it was ONLY that one tiny bit in the prolog.

He will, "Miss/Mister <whatever>" is a separate dialogue line for Codsworth, so basically when you talk directly to Codsworth he says your name, then whatever he was actually going to say.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Watch a BoS Vertibird or ground patrol for more than a couple minutes and your opinion of them as "competent and successful" will change real fast.

No joke, EVERY single Vertibird I have seen out on Patrol has crashed within a minute of engaging an enemy. Every single one.

Deified Data posted:

...and the BoS is like the one faction where putting you in charge really would have been better than the alternative.

Actually according to the scrapped dialogue you could have been able to take over the BoS and made Danse your second in command.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Further thoughts as they percolate:

I wish I could be a raider. I mean, I guess technically you can just go around killing people, but where's that sense of psycho community?

I've got a guilty pleasure in building houses in the sims games, so I liked settlement building, but man building walls for those stupid settlers is a waste of time and resources when they can't be assed to defend themselves if I don't show up to do it for them. What the gently caress's the point of building turrets if they don't do the exact same job when I'm not there as when I stare at them ripping the raiders to shreds?

stealing power armor frames from raiders is funny as hell

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Could be pre-planned DLC too, get all the voice acting out of the way

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Everyone's favorite home base? Mine's still the giant multi-story metal shed I built on top of the red rocket - no settlers allowed!

also am I the only one who down a mirelurk cake and some radx and took a suit of power armor into the crater left by the institute to see if anything was left?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fereydun posted:

you can apparently make him go back to bein' a wreck by beating up dogmeat in front of him a bunch (???)

also boy am i excited for fallout 4!!

That shot makes me feel kind of nostalgic. I haven't played the originals in a while, maybe I'll try and dig them out. I actually have a weird version of F1 that was printed with the CD label for the soundtrack. Wonder if it counts as a collectors item.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

She's kinda like a bad karma companion in that she likes being mean to people and such.

Some of the stuff she likes:

Lockpicking
Rude/aggressive dialog options, threatening people, provoking people to fight in conversations
Asking for more money to do quests
Taking drugs and giving drugs to other people (dislikes it after her personal quest)
Drinking hard liquor
Helping people get clean of drugs (dislikes it before her personal quest)
The player running around naked
Keeping the Drinking Buddy robot for yourself

Pretty sure I maxed her out just stealing everything.
If you want to be cheesy you can quicksave and quickload between each item stolen and you'll get affinity up on each one. Or strip naked and fast travel back and forth and you'll gain affinity each destination.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Azhais posted:

Could be pre-planned DLC too, get all the voice acting out of the way

Thing is though, would Bethesda do a DLC where you were unable to access it because you are Kill on Sight for the brotherhood?

I mean if you think about it, they can't set any of the DLC on the Prydwen because you might have already blown it up, and if they make the BoS not exclusive of the Institute and Railroad endings their quests have to be rewritten or cut post release to remove the Brotherhood conflict. Or it's a DLC available only to players siding with the Brotherhood, which I can't see Bethesda making.

It'd be nice to have that option back in the game,, but I can't see it as DLC when every bit of DLC Bethesda has made other than (at a stretch) Broken Steel was completely independent of your actions and choices in the main game.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Yardbomb posted:

I'm trying to forget the main story and just enjoy side stuff and messing around as it comes, which is working well enough, but holy moly was that still something. More than anything, every faction coming to the same conclusion of "Let's completely destroy the magic super science base instead of using, salvaging or repurposing any of it, screw any and all of our goals it could further, what we need is another radiation hellpit!" is probably still the dumbest moment in the game.

You're dumb and I'm dumb for engaging you on this newest dumb implication. A ton of people did roleplaying stuff in 3, which as it turns out is a previous game in this series, so you can quit with the B-BUT ~BETHESDA STYLE~ SOLD MORE game man.

There really isn't much room for role playing because you're role is canned. You're either a lawyer or veteran whose looking for your son. :shrug:

At least in New Vegas you could role play whatever the gently caress before you wound up in a shallow grave with a moonroof in your dome piece.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Idiot Savant Melee builds are insanely easy holy poo poo. Just enter vats and hammer the left mouse button.

Max out Critical Banker and Grim Reaper Sprint and laugh your way to the (Critical) Bank.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

I just got to The Institute and I don't think I can gently caress them over like I planned to initially. Blood is thicker than water. Gonna go meet the rest of the folks but I think the brotherhood is gonna have to get hosed.

The Institute path is the least worst anyway, you should probably do it.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
More isometric style shots:
http://imgur.com/a/ODV3U

I'm half convinced that Bethesda's artists were secretly designing for an isometric game since everything looks way better that way

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

greatBigJerk posted:

I'm half convinced that Bethesda's artists were secretly designing for an isometric game since everything looks way better that way

It's just a matter of the relative texture resolution being much higher when you zoom out.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

greatBigJerk posted:

yeah i saw that guy's screenshots and wanted to try to do the same- my original attempts came out lookin' more like baldur's gate or more modern 3d perspective stuff though

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

There really isn't much room for role playing because you're role is canned. You're either a lawyer or veteran whose looking for your son. :shrug:

By that standard there has been like 4 RPGs in the entire history of videogames.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there a mod that will make this game isometric and perfect?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The Diamond City Market triggermen attacks are such bullshit. The triggermen can attack you with impunity and the guards will literally say "I'm not gettin' involved" but the second you pull out a weapon they'll fire on you and start a chain reaction where everybody goes hostile. You basically have to lead them to an indoor location and hope there aren't NPCs inside that will go hostile if you fire a gun. Also you have to hope your companion won't fire back before you can run away.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I find it kind of annoying how far the range is to start a random event in the world is. I will be walking down the road and hear gunshots off in the distance and not know which way they came from and never find the aftermath so I can loot the losing side. This gets me especially paranoid because one time I saw one of the random merchants you can run into, I think the name was Dreth, getting shot at and her whole caravan had less than a quarter of their health left. Unless everyone in a caravan is essential I would be pissed if by random chance the game killed off a merchant like that.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

moths posted:

Is there a mod that will make this game isometric and perfect?

People tried to do that with Fallout 3 and it failed miserably, so I'm guessing no.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

By that standard there has been like 4 RPGs in the entire history of videogames.

Yea there's been like 4 good video games ever made.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Idiot Savant Melee builds are insanely easy holy poo poo. Just enter vats and hammer the left mouse button.
I kind of wish the melee speed was similar to Skyrim's for this reason. There's no real way to make it fun other than making melee kill most lesser things in one hit, which is only a very small improvement.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Fereydun posted:

yeah i saw that guy's screenshots and wanted to try to do the same- my original attempts came out lookin' more like baldur's gate or more modern 3d perspective stuff though

Make fallout 4 play like Diablo 3.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I kind of wish the melee speed was similar to Skyrim's for this reason. There's no real way to make it fun other than making melee kill most lesser things in one hit, which is only a very small improvement.

The actual worst thing about melee is how you can't cue up more melee attacks while executing melee attacks in VATS. Gotta exit VATS after most kills and reenter it's so balls and slow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

At least in New Vegas you could role play whatever the gently caress before you wound up in a shallow grave with a moonroof in your dome piece.

No you can't. Your back story for New Vegas is "courier." That's exactly the same as the main character in this game being in the army or a lawyer.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

greatBigJerk posted:

The album title is misleading since the album isn't completely empty. :smug:

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I find it kind of annoying how far the range is to start a random event in the world is. I will be walking down the road and hear gunshots off in the distance and not know which way they came from and never find the aftermath so I can loot the losing side. This gets me especially paranoid because one time I saw one of the random merchants you can run into, I think the name was Dreth, getting shot at and her whole caravan had less than a quarter of their health left. Unless everyone in a caravan is essential I would be pissed if by random chance the game killed off a merchant like that.

Get ready to be pissed, Cricket is dead in my game, got caught up in a raid on Warwick and her caravan was obliterated by Raiders. It doesn't appear as though the caravans are essential, and if they are, there are bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

mackintosh posted:

Get ready to be pissed, Cricket is dead in my game, got caught up in a raid on Warwick and her caravan was obliterated by Raiders. It doesn't appear as though the caravans are essential, and if they are, there are bugs.

they should be essential- i've definitely seen my caravans get blasted around and come out unscathed.
even when i'm the one accidentally summoning an army of synths on them to slowly, slowly kill

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Make fallout 4 play like Diablo 3.

????

• Locked thread