Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Cat Mattress posted:

"Either you're racist, or you have to admit the terrorists are right."

Do you believe that the west is in an ideological war with Islam and it's followers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

NippleFloss posted:

Do you believe that the west is in an ideological war with Islam and it's followers?

No. I believe that some elements of Islam are at war with the West though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Frosted Flake posted:

so are some elements of the west. thankfully these elements are most likely to have 'hunting accidents'

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so are some elements of the west. thankfully these elements are most likely to have 'hunting accidents'

Both this and the post you quoted are very true.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

What would it take to start an Islamic Enlightening? The Peace of Westphalia and the horror of religious wars, as well as the state taking power from the church started the European one, could similar circumstances exist in the Middle-East after ISIS?
Speaking as a Muslim, albeit one in the US so not involved in the clusterfuck, I see a couple of nearly-impossible conditions needing to be met for that to even be possible: First, the cutting off of monetary support for religious establishments and learning from Gulf states in particular; the amount of money the Saudis spend funding schools and such that preach Saudi-brand Islam is insane. Second, a solution to Israel/Palestine that the majority of Muslims (living in the Middle East particularly) feel is a just one, enough to the point where that particular conflict calms down. Third, an end to the sectarian violence that has us murdering each other depending on whether we're Sunni, Shi'a, Ahmadi, etc etc.

Finally, I don't know how you can take power from a thing that is not nearly as centralized as the Catholic church was in Europe. Someone takes power away from Khameini? I shrug because I'm not in Iran, he's not a scholar I particularly follow, I'm not particularly Shi'a. It has absolutely no bearing on my spiritual well-being, and he has no spiritual authority over me. How do you start an enlightenment or reformation of a faith that is almost entirely un-unified except for people who choose to follow this or that scholar, but who can change their mind for whatever reason at any time and that's not a big deal?

Frosted Flake posted:

What do you mean by "elements of Islam" exactly? Elements of the faith itself? Like a concept is at war with the West? Or some people who practice it?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tendai posted:

What do you mean by "elements of Islam" exactly? Elements of the faith itself? Like a concept is at war with the West? Or some people who practice it?

The people. As you said explaining why the conditions are not 1-to-1 with the Enlightenment, people can choose whatever interpretation they want, so I don't think it is a fundamental issue of the faith. Albania and Turkey certainly aren't at war with the West, and arguably are themselves part of the Western world.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

The people. As you said explaining why the conditions are not 1-to-1 with the Enlightenment, people can choose whatever interpretation they want, so I don't think it is a fundamental issue of the faith. Albania and Turkey certainly aren't at war with the West, and arguably are themselves part of the Western world.
Okay, just making sure. I was about to ramp up into argue-mode but now I'm glad I checked first.

Because people do say and mean the other part and then I get to be sarcastic about my ongoing war with the west based out of New Mexico.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cat Mattress posted:

"Either you're racist, or you have to admit the terrorists are right."

Please source your quotes. :D

An Enormous Boner posted:

We're talking about allusions made within a sub-section of a single sentence in ISIS's statement. It's very important, yes, but there's other stuff there and it's also significant. I mean there's stuff in the same sentence, even, that isn't just about France in Syria.

The vast majority of it is cruft. It's like emphasizing the use of articles and prepositions and poo poo. They're also not "allusions", it's outright statements that this is in response to/revenge for French interventions in Syria. The other clause, meanwhile, is plainly about contextualizing French interventions as being a new Crusade against all Muslims. This is entirely in keeping with ISIS's particular worldview, but it's also not some kind of "they hate us for being sexual libertines" or whatever culture-war poo poo.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Manic X posted:

Why is it when you question the compatability of certain cultures together, the automatic response by SJWs is the race card.

I can 100% say that as long as a person abides by the one human law that everyone agrees on (treat others as you would like to be treated) then I am happy to mix with that person.

However certain cultures apply that rule only to people of the same culture, and everyone else is a demon or a heretic or inferior etc...

Until people put their values as a human first, cultures will always be incompatible in some way.

Because people don't seem to threat culture as the nebulos concept it is, in scope, effect not even deffinition.

If we identify a Muslim culture we will have a heck of a time explaining away discrepancies between Bosniaks in Balkans and the Saudi Royal family.

And people who have embraced the idea of monocultures have had the tendency to be the least likely candidate for "human first" values....ironicly towards people of their own "culture"

Also what the gently caress in an SJW again? Can people who unironicly uses the term give me a headsup?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

54.4 crowns posted:

Also what the gently caress in an SJW again? Can people who unironicly uses the term give me a headsup?

"Politically correct", more or less.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

54.4 crowns posted:

People who enjoy outrage to the point of sexual gratification.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is a fun watch on this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEnWw_lH4tQ

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Frackie Robinson posted:

People who enjoy outrage to the point of sexual gratification.

Essentially that is everyone I've met that bitched about SJW

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

computer parts posted:

"Politically correct", more or less.

I always thought that was a much more effective slur anyway. It ties it closely to politics, which everyone hates, and the notion that there is one "correct" thing is bound to generate resistance as well. Whereas those people fighting for social justice? Sound pretty cool to me.

A bit like the "human rights brigade". Where do I sign up for that?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Isn't modern Japan extremely secular? It's sexist and xenophobic as hell.

Well, I'm convinced by the staggering amount of evidence you've brought to bear for your "the japanese are gross, for realz" thesis.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Or is it also somehow under the "secretly religious" umbrella because blah blah Shinto blah?

Are you aware that within living memory Japan's emperor was considered a living god and was an object of cult adoration during fascist rule? Because if you did not then you should probably not be accusing the dreaded "new atheists" of theological ignorance.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
An Enormous Boner is correct, it's wrong to look at what ISIS says about themselves, and then turn around and go "well clearly they don't believe any of that, the real reasons are the more limited goals of retaliation/whatever". The answer is Yes and No. If it were purely a tit-for-tat affair, then none of their other actions make sense (artifact destruction, brutal & broadcasted beheadings, ethnic cleansing, taunting of western leaders etc). Wouldn't they be trying to keep a lower profile? That and just pure terror attacks are usually not the way to go.

You want a good contrast, think of the Moscow Theater Crisis. The people perpetrating that acted very differently; their procedure, the way they treated hostages, their bargaining positions, totally different. Their mistake was their enemy was Putin, who could not give two shits about being either moral or about the welfare of his own citizens, so he gassed them. But the terrorist's goals were limited, clearly explained, and their actions matched those goals - withdrawal from Chechnya, these hostages are our bargaining chips.

That isn't how ISIS operates. Would a mass-slaughter terror attack in the tourist hot spots of France reduce or increase the motivation of France to intervene? It's a really obvious question, with a just as obvious answer. Are we supposed to believe that they didn't ask themselves that? Are we to believe that they're that stupid? No, they can't be - so the assumptions we have about their motivations must be wrong.

This doesn't mean that ISIS is what Islam is really about, or any trash like that. But if you want to understand these kinds of groups, you have to think about them on their own terms. You can't project your own, modern understanding of the role of warfare (the Clausewitzian 'achievement of limited political goals that cannot be obtained by other means') onto them, because that's not how everyone else throughout history actually thought about war.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 7, 2015

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

54.4 crowns posted:

I think it's short for Sinister Jew, since a significant number of people who use it also complain about cultural marxism poisoning west civ.

edit to be productive:

This is an excellent book about ISIS, published earlier this year (before the Paris attacks, but obviously it predicts them)

http://jessicasternbooks.com/books/isis-the-state-of-terror/

Get thee to thine book depository

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 7, 2015

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tesseraction posted:

It's almost as if Islamophobia is a particular strain of reactionary political thought.

I don't agree that it's inherently reactionary, though a lot of things involved under the umbrella term 'Islamaphobia' would be such. Things such as racism and flailings about "Sharia law" or other such nonsense are pretty typical of reactionaries. But the "phobia" itself, as in the fear of Islam and more specifically radical Islam, is a response to decades of news stories on Hijackings, murders, suicide bombings, beheadings and other such barbarism, without themselves knowing much about the religion itself or the people here in western nations who follow it. When someone hears nothing but that sort of violence in regard to Islam, and especially as we have international terror groups specifically threatening to commit horrible acts in the west, it's not irrational to be afraid of such a thing (people do not take statistics into account when fear comes into play). Stories of seemingly quiet and nice individuals "sponteneously" radicalizing and attacking public places only cement that fear. "It could be anyone with a beard and a funny name..." one might think. It then becomes a problem, when the usual suspects prey on that fear and whip people into a frenzy over it. Racism and persecution follow shortly behind.

What's the solution though? Because clearly denying people's fears hasn't been helpful in the least. It's actually emboldened the right further, as they'll be the ones to tell people just what they want to hear. Who they should be afraid of and how much. Fighting Islamaphobia with facts is a good start, so long as it's put in a way the average, scared person can understand and isn't inherently combative. There seems to be a tendency to belittle the frightened for having that fear, and citing statistics. Sometimes even alluding that the individual is racist or a bigot in the process.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://gawker.com/donald-trumps-new-policy-no-more-muslims-1746717703

On Monday afternoon, Donald Trump announced a new policy platform: No more Muslims. The ensuing nonsensical statement is, incredibly, not a joke.

In the statement, which was apparently emailed to reporters, Trump proudly tosses aside “various polling data,” explaining that instinct is telling him what this country needs is a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on.”

(That shutdown applies to Muslim immigrants and tourists alike, Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski tells the AP.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This makes nearly as much sense (and is as possible) as Qatar's promise to detect gay people and bar them from the country. Which is to say it makes no sense, and is also not possible.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
What would be the proof that someone is a Muslim to bar them entry into the US?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rip Testes posted:

They will place korans on the floor and force people to walk over them

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Rip Testes posted:

Something to do with whether they float or sink in water, I forget which.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Something to do with whether they float or sink in water, I forget which.

No, we will outfit every border crossing with a duck and a set of scales.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Aren't most Muslims in the USA African-Americans citizens anyways, as opposed to Middle Eastern visitors? I don't know, something I heard somewhere.

Talmonis posted:

I don't agree that it's inherently reactionary, though a lot of things involved under the umbrella term 'Islamaphobia' would be such. Things such as racism and flailings about "Sharia law" or other such nonsense are pretty typical of reactionaries. But the "phobia" itself, as in the fear of Islam and more specifically radical Islam, is a response to decades of news stories on Hijackings, murders, suicide bombings, beheadings and other such barbarism, without themselves knowing much about the religion itself or the people here in western nations who follow it. When someone hears nothing but that sort of violence in regard to Islam, and especially as we have international terror groups specifically threatening to commit horrible acts in the west, it's not irrational to be afraid of such a thing (people do not take statistics into account when fear comes into play). Stories of seemingly quiet and nice individuals "sponteneously" radicalizing and attacking public places only cement that fear. "It could be anyone with a beard and a funny name..." one might think. It then becomes a problem, when the usual suspects prey on that fear and whip people into a frenzy over it. Racism and persecution follow shortly behind.

What's the solution though? Because clearly denying people's fears hasn't been helpful in the least. It's actually emboldened the right further, as they'll be the ones to tell people just what they want to hear. Who they should be afraid of and how much. Fighting Islamaphobia with facts is a good start, so long as it's put in a way the average, scared person can understand and isn't inherently combative. There seems to be a tendency to belittle the frightened for having that fear, and citing statistics. Sometimes even alluding that the individual is racist or a bigot in the process.

Fear is an emotion, which is irrational. You cannot rationally fear something, any more than you can rationally love or hate it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PT6A posted:

This makes nearly as much sense (and is as possible) as Qatar's promise to detect gay people and bar them from the country. Which is to say it makes no sense, and is also not possible.

Trump will be the Republican nominee and his policy will then become a plank of the RNC. The only news source that matters Breitbart, will promote his policies and the soundness behind them every day, conservatives in the media call the president a pussy, and there is literally nothing between now and November 2016 to counter their narrative, because the media doesn't question Trump beyond insulting him, which doesn't work. We only have a vague sense that there will be more Democratic voters in the general next year, but Trump continues to stump all analytical intellectuals.

I can only hope there is something to counter the islamophobia in Trump's campaign, but it seems he found something really hot with the conservative voter.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 7, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Black Bones posted:

Aren't most Muslims in the USA African-Americans citizens anyways, as opposed to Middle Eastern visitors? I don't know, something I heard somewhere.

Most converts are, but what I'm seeing is about 30% each of Arab, Black, and South Asian.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Black Bones posted:

Fear is an emotion, which is irrational. You cannot rationally fear something, any more than you can rationally love or hate it.

This is a curious assumption for a whole slew of reasons, not the least of which being that it renders the entire concept of a phobia meaningless. Emotions are not inherently irrational.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Frosted Flake posted:

What would it take to start an Islamic Enlightening? The Peace of Westphalia and the horror of religious wars, as well as the state taking power from the church started the European one, could similar circumstances exist in the Middle-East after ISIS?

Honest answer? Heavy sanctions against Saudi Arabia, in lieu of a full scale military intervention.

If we can't do that, then at the very least stop sucking their cock constantly seeing as how they're the single biggest funder and exporter of "Radical Islam" in the entire world.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ddraig posted:

Honest answer? Heavy sanctions against Saudi Arabia, in lieu of a full scale military intervention.

If we can't do that, then at the very least stop sucking their cock constantly seeing as how they're the single biggest funder and exporter of "Radical Islam" in the entire world.

As long as they sit on that sea of oil, they're bulletproof. If we put sanctions on them we'll be going back to the gas shortages of the 70s, until we get off of fossil fuels we are stuck with them.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tezzor posted:

until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on
What the gently caress does that even mean? As far as I can tell, we know what is going on vis a vis ISIS and Syria and the like, with the exception of things we cannot predict because it's impossible to say "I know some random guy is going to shoot up a place because of ISIS."

Ddraig posted:

This. The fact that we claim to be supporting democracy or freedom or whatever the hell the rhetoric is now while acting as a prop to the al-Sauds and their government is ridiculous.

Mulva posted:

As long as they sit on that sea of oil, they're bulletproof. If we put sanctions on them we'll be going back to the gas shortages of the 70s, until we get off of fossil fuels we are stuck with them.
Is it this at this point or just a desire to not totally destabilize the region? For all that the Saudi government is horrible, they're somewhat more stable than others at this point in the area, not to mention what I've said before about things going properly shitshow if Mecca and Medina go up for grabs.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 8, 2015

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Tendai posted:

Is it this at this point or just a desire to not totally destabilize the region? For all that the Saudi government is horrible, they're somewhat more stable than others at this point in the area, not to mention what I've said before about things going properly shitshow if Mecca and Medina go up for grabs.

I'm sure it's part of it, but I personally think we only care about that stability as far as it keeps the oil flowing. That said, in point to you we have invaded stable oil producing countries before, so who knows at this point.

EDIT: Not to mention that while the Saudi regime is stable they are literally destabilizing the rest of the region.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

PT6A posted:

They could use those "golf ball finders" that guy was selling as bomb detectors as gay detectors. (This isn't a "The Onion" article. I just wish it was.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651

This whole situation sucks. I'd love to visit the Middle East someday...

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin

Nonsense posted:

Trump will be the Republican nominee and his policy will then become a plank of the RNC. The only news source that matters Breitbart, will promote his policies and the soundness behind them every day, conservatives in the media call the president a pussy, and there is literally nothing between now and November 2016 to counter their narrative, because the media doesn't question Trump beyond insulting him, which doesn't work. We only have a vague sense that there will be more Democratic voters in the general next year, but Trump continues to stump all analytical intellectuals.

I can only hope there is something to counter the islamophobia in Trump's campaign, but it seems he found something really hot with the conservative voter.

Getting non-whites to vote republican on the back of Islamophobia is probably a winning strategy to be honest.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

I'm sure it's part of it, but I personally think we only care about that stability as far as it keeps the oil flowing. That said, in point to you we have invaded stable oil producing countries before, so who knows at this point.

EDIT: Not to mention that while the Saudi regime is stable they are literally destabilizing the rest of the region.
I was more wondering just because I thought our oil consumption from Saudi Arabia had dropped pretty far; from what I'm reading it's less than 2% of the oil we import. I wasn't sure how much effect that small a percentage would have (or if that's really that small a percentage, it seems like it to me but I'm not an oil baron)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tendai posted:

I was more wondering just because I thought our oil consumption from Saudi Arabia had dropped pretty far; from what I'm reading it's less than 2% of the oil we import. I wasn't sure how much effect that small a percentage would have (or if that's really that small a percentage, it seems like it to me but I'm not an oil baron)

We don't purchase Saudi oil, but other countries do. And if THEY are blocked from Saudi oil, they'll be competing with us for the same non-Saudi reserves. Just because we don't buy from them doesn't mean their presence or absence in the world market doesn't affect the prices we pay.

Hooray for globalization!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's cool that the thread about Islamophobia is largely dominated by people arguing that maybe Muslims really are subhuman monsters and all, but back in the real world the political hysteria being whipped up over Islamophobia is driving some really frightening political developments.

quote:

Trump Calls For Total Ban On Muslims Entering The U.S.

ByTIERNEY SNEEDPublishedDECEMBER 7, 2015, 4:29 PM EST 7203 Views
GOP frontrunner Donald Trump released a statement Monday calling for "a total and complete shutdown" of Muslims immigrating into the United States in light of recent terrorist attacks.

"Without looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred is beyond comprehension. Where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine," Trump said in the statement. "Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life. If I win the election for President, we are going to Make America Great Again."

Trump spokesman Corey Lewandowski confirmed to the AP the proposal would apply to Muslims who are tourists as well as those seeking immigration visas. Another campaign spokeswoman told The Hill the ban would also apply to Muslim-Americans traveling abroad.
The White House, through spokesman Josh Earnest, quickly condemned the comment. Earnest told MSNBC Monday afternoon that the proposal is "entirely inconsistent with the kinds of values that were central to the founding of this country."

"Not only is it contrary to our values, but if we actually want to have a comprehensive strategy for combatting extremist elements in the Muslim community, then we actually need to work with the Muslim community, work with Muslim leaders to root out those voices and to root out that messaging," Earnest said.

In the full statement (below), Trump quoted polling by the Center for Security Policy, an anti-Muslim think tank whose founder, Frank Gaffney is known for raising alarms about "creeping Sharia law" and for accusing U.S. officials of having ties to the Muslim Brotherhood. The poll itself was widely discredited.

Trump's statement comes as recent attacks in Paris and in San Bernardino, California, have inflamed anti-Muslim rhetoric and prompted fears about immigrants, particularly concerning the U.S.'s Syrian refugee program. Trump's statement to end all Muslim immigration goes further than previous GOP proposals, including Sen. Rand Paul's (R-KY) call that immigration from the Middle East should be halted.

quote:

Group Trump Cites Has Been Whipping Up Extreme Anti-Muslim Fervor For Years

ByTIERNEY SNEEDPublishedDECEMBER 7, 2015, 6:46 PM EST 1190 Views
Donald Trump's call to halt all Muslims from entering the United States was, in typical Trump style, a ratcheting up of xenophobia fervor simmering just beneath the surface. Two of his rivals, Sens. Rand Paul (R-KY) and Ted Cruz (R-TX), had already called for moratorium on refugees from Middle East countries with an Islamic State presence.

But it also was the fulfillment of a long-held fever dream of an anti-Muslim think tank with ties among the hard-right Republicans. In his statement Monday, Trump cited a poll by the Center for Security Policy to argue that "the hatred is beyond comprehension" and that "until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad."

A spokesman for Center for Security Policy told TPM via email that none of its members had been in contact with Trump as he crafted his position. But those connected to it have invoked logic similar to Trump's in the past, including proposals to ban granting Muslims entry visas to the United States.

CSP's founder Frank Gaffney is a former Reagan administration official who has suggested U.S. officials have ties to the Muslim Brotherhood, that the appointment of Justice Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court was a move by the "stealth jihad" movement and that President Obama is secretly a practicing Muslim.

CSP's outside general counsel is David Yerushalmi, who according to a 2011 New York Times profile, has also represented Pam Gellar, of the anti-Muslim bus ad fame. The Times credited Yerushalmi for spearheading the legal battle against so-called "creeping Sharia" which has, in turn, rippled into presidential politics -- not just this cycle, but in 2012, when Newt Gingrich and Michele Bachmann were railing against Sharia law from the campaign stump.

Yerushalmi pushed back at the Times profile for suggesting he has called for discrimination against Muslims. But ThinkProgress surfaced a 2008 blog post in which the lawyer called for "the Muslim youth be taught from the cradle to reject the religion of their forebears."

Furthermore, as ThinkProgress highlighted, Yerushalmi's other organization, Society of Americans for National Existence (SANE) posted draft legislation banning Sharia "adherents" from entering the United States and requiring those who wish to enter from a country that "advocates or implement" Sharia to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that he or she is not Sharia "adherent."

In 2013, the Anti-Defamation League published its own report accusing Yerushalmi of "demonizing Islam" in his crusade against Sharia law.

Gaffney himself, as well as his think tank, maintain some connection to Washington's neo-con universe, while being ostracized by other Republicans. He was banned from the conservative confab CPAC for accusing other participants -- specifically Suhail Khan and Grover Norquist -- of bringing about a Muslim Brotherhood infiltration.

But that hadn't stop the GOP 2016ers -- some of whom who are now decrying Trump's anti-Muslim immigrant stance -- from appearing at a forum in New Hampshire over the summer hosted by Gaffney.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Helsing posted:

It's cool that the thread about Islamophobia is largely dominated by people arguing that maybe Muslims really are subhuman monsters and all, but back in the real world the political hysteria being whipped up over Islamophobia is driving some really frightening political developments.

If he wins, we're hosed.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ComradeCosmobot posted:

We don't purchase Saudi oil, but other countries do. And if THEY are blocked from Saudi oil, they'll be competing with us for the same non-Saudi reserves. Just because we don't buy from them doesn't mean their presence or absence in the world market doesn't affect the prices we pay.

Hooray for globalization!
Yeah, I will openly admit that economics and that sort of thing are definitely not an area I know a lot about. That makes sense.

~

Something interesting that relates to the Trump nonsense above -- well, more sad than interesting: A lot of fellow Muslims I know have said point blank that they feel that the attitude towards Muslims in the US at this point is as or more hostile than it was after 9/11. This ranges from both "Muslim-looking" people to white stealth agents like myself. I'm almost to that point, though somewhat more insulated where I am geographically since it's a tiny place and everyone knows either me or my family. The level of vitriol that I see online and in articles, the specific calls I see getting actual press and positive attention demanding that Muslims be essentially turned into non-citizens even in their own country is kind of horrifying me.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

If he wins, we're hosed.

Define "we", a Trump presidency would be the greatest thing to happen to the left in the US in decades.

• Locked thread