Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Mercurius posted:

It hasn't actually been confirmed yet but we're expecting Rank 10 for the new ships because it's +3 from the existing stuff. Rank 10 is Post Commander (which is one rank up from where you are) and Earl (which is one rank below where you are) so you're pretty close. If you want to finish grinding out that last Fed rank you can head over to Arexe and stack kill missions from the Fed factions for pirates in Orrere (easy but bad money) or do hauling from Robigo (boring, great money and can be annoying if RNG is not on your side).

Been hauling from Robigo for quite a while as Tycoon, and must have just rolled a 20 on the RNG 'cause my last run was 72/88 cargo slave smuggling missions (the rest just bonus legal goods going to the same stations), all for 4-7M at each drop-off, and the last one involved a frantic firefight I should not have picked with a fed gunship pirate at the station I should have just run for. One of these stations:

and I missed the spinny arms wiping me out with 20% hull and no shields by a mere whisker! (it's Smith Reserve, if anyone wants to see this monstrosity)

If they ever introduce some sort of negative 'karma' stat for slave trading I am so screwed...

Stacking pirate kills at Arexe sounds like the same deal as Kui 11/LFT 269, which I have been doing occasionally in a FAS for a bit of variety - must have turned in 50+ pirate killing missions, most of 'em for Fed factions. Still no rank up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Me and a friend bought this game on the last steam sale. We wanted to stop being poo poo before bothering anybody else, but what's with the Multiple Servers for this game?
As far as I can tell and what the Internet says there is no way to switch servers to play with friends? All the posts I can find about people discussing this issues are a year or more old.
Is there really no way to reliably play with someone else? Having a friends list or being in the same Group/Wing doesn't do anything?

Playing with people uses a lot of peer to peer networking. If you have a terrible connection to someone else due to distance or bad internet or whatever then you will have a very hard time getting into a group with them. There are ports you can forward on your router and other tricks which can help though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There aren't multiple servers, it's peer to peer. There were some issues with the matchmaking early on, they've ironed a lot of those out though, don't pay attention to older posts.

It's not perfect, but I play with IRL friends and we're matched together with practically 100% regularity. We are quite close geographically though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

xiansi posted:

Been hauling from Robigo for quite a while as Tycoon, and must have just rolled a 20 on the RNG 'cause my last run was 72/88 cargo slave smuggling missions (the rest just bonus legal goods going to the same stations), all for 4-7M at each drop-off, and the last one involved a frantic firefight I should not have picked with a fed gunship pirate at the station I should have just run for. One of these stations:

and I missed the spinny arms wiping me out with 20% hull and no shields by a mere whisker! (it's Smith Reserve, if anyone wants to see this monstrosity)

If they ever introduce some sort of negative 'karma' stat for slave trading I am so screwed...

Stacking pirate kills at Arexe sounds like the same deal as Kui 11/LFT 269, which I have been doing occasionally in a FAS for a bit of variety - must have turned in 50+ pirate killing missions, most of 'em for Fed factions. Still no rank up...

Man, every time I feel bad about being a poo poo-tier pilot, I remember other people faceplant into large structures like this and suddenly I feel better. :allears:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You don't faceplant into those things, they faceplant into you.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

longtimelurker posted:

Ah this must be what is going on. Does solo play & open play use the same pilot?

[...]

Yes, all stats pertaining to you are retained regardless of which mode (Solo, Private, Open) you're playing in.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

tooterfish posted:

You don't faceplant into those things, they faceplant into you.

Yeah those High-G arms swing around at an absolutely terrifying speed, it's really just best to fly around their arc completely than to risk getting tagged by one.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Last night I found out some poor Diamond Frog had left his gold all by itself on the surface of a planet with only some robots to keep it company, and the robots had gone mad with loneliness. So I disabled the robots, scooped up the gold, and returned it to Mother Goat for a nice finders fee.

In all seriousness, does destroying DF robots and stealing the gold do damage to DF on the BGS, or should we 'retrieve' their booty to 'return' to Mother Goat?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Sky Shadowing posted:

Last night I found out some poor Diamond Frog had left his gold all by itself on the surface of a planet with only some robots to keep it company, and the robots had gone mad with loneliness. So I disabled the robots, scooped up the gold, and returned it to Mother Goat for a nice finders fee.

In all seriousness, does destroying DF robots and stealing the gold do damage to DF on the BGS, or should we 'retrieve' their booty to 'return' to Mother Goat?

I highly doubt it matters in the Beta.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Me and a friend bought this game on the last steam sale. We wanted to stop being poo poo before bothering anybody else, but what's with the Multiple Servers for this game?
As far as I can tell and what the Internet says there is no way to switch servers to play with friends? All the posts I can find about people discussing this issues are a year or more old.
Is there really no way to reliably play with someone else? Having a friends list or being in the same Group/Wing doesn't do anything?

Having a friends list or being in a private group helps a lot. It's based on instancing that strongly, strongly favors friends lists. It also tries to match up wings. And if you're all in the same private group, that also all but guarantees being in the same instance.

The problem is that there seem to be certain factors that will guarantee a split instance, and there's nothing that can be done about them. Generally, very high P2P pings are the main culprit. You can also get "blocked out" in Open, as instances tend to be "sticky" and need to be emptied before it will switch you between them unless you log out and log in.

But basically, there's not a bunch of servers you can't get between, it just generates instances based on P2P connections, and if you're playing with friends on other continents, it just fucks you.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Sky Shadowing posted:

Army rules, motherfucker, if it wasn't under lock and key, they must not have cared about someone carting it away.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
can someone bottom line the money/time for the Rorigo thing?

and what's the best ship/setup for it?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Asp is king. Optional extras include: 1) a discovery scanner so you can honk the horn during your travels and get some cheap explorer ranks, 2) guns so you can shoot the idiots who pull you over instead of running away all the time.

All you need is good jump range, a decently fast fuel scoop and a bit of cargo space though. You could do it fine in a rares fit Cobra. Some people go space mad and do it in a Python.

Money/time entirely depends on how long you spend stacking missions (either by resetting the board, or by travelling to different systems), and how efficient you are at doing them. It's good money even for a casual run though, the only way to tell for sure is to give it a try for yourself.

e: explorer loadouts in coriolis disable utility slots. Silly coriolis.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 8, 2015

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Hoping I don't lose my "top 40%" tier in this exploration thing- that infusion of cash would be much welcomed to buy that A5 FSD. I don't have the time to spend to go all out and hand in like 5000 reports like a lot of the dedicated explorers will be doing.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Just in case anyone was wondering, an Asp does not in fact fit through a mail slot sideways.

alr
May 14, 2009

hakimashou posted:

can someone bottom line the money/time for the Rorigo thing?

and what's the best ship/setup for it?

tooterfish posted:

All you need is good jump range, a decently fast fuel scoop and a bit of cargo space though.

That's all you need to know, I spent maybe 10 mins resetting the mission board (grab anything with a high payout, switch to open play, grab anything with a high payout, switch back to solo, etc) with no prior rank ups from trading. It took maybe an hour and a half to drop all my cargo off, made around 20 million. Was using an Asp, had around 12 mil assets before that run, and went from "Penniless" to "Merchant". The higher your trade rank, the more missions will be available, so it only gets easier. It's boring as batshit though considering you're doing nothing but supercruising to systems ~20 jumps away and dodging the occasional interdiction.

The way I saw it was I do this a couple times and have enough to A-fit an Asp for Horizons and planet exploration.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Is there a way to unequip stuff o your old ship so you can install it on a new one?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

tofes posted:

Is there a way to unequip stuff o your old ship so you can install it on a new one?

Sell the parts at the outfitter you're buying the new ship at. It'll be held there until you travel away from the station.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

tooterfish posted:

Asp is king. Optional extras include: 1) a discovery scanner so you can honk the horn during your travels and get some cheap explorer ranks, 2) guns so you can shoot the idiots who pull you over instead of running away all the time.
Alternatively you could laugh at fuel scooping and go with this Asp. Refuel at Robigo/your first dropoff station out of there and then refuel before heading back and you're fine. Lots of running from interdictors and chip damage but you're making enough bank to completely offset the costs.

On average each of my runs takes around 2-3 hours (board scumming included) and nets me 30-40 mil a run. Quality of life stuff: keep your station visits per system as close to 1-1 as possible. It's faster to warp to another system and go to a station there than it is to supercruise between two stations in the same system. Taribes and LP 195-25 are great systems to grab missions for since they only have a single outpost in them. Once you can afford to be picky with smuggling missions, don't grab them unless they're above 4 million (or are really good cargo/payout ones, IE 1 slave for 1+ million.)

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Can you guys critique my Cobra Robigo build? Up to this point, I've only copied exactly the OP ship building newbie guide so far so I want to make sure I didn't forget anything glaringly obvious.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/04D4D4A3D3D3D4C----020003033401012f.Iw1-kA==.Aw18gTMDMQ==

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 8, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Xtanstic posted:

Can you guys critique my Cobra Robigo build? Up to this point, I've only copied exactly the OP ship building newbie guide so far so I want to make sure I didn't forget anything glaringly obvious.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/04D4D4A3D3D3D4C----020003033401012f.Iw1-kA==.Aw18gTMDMQ==
Pretty decent. You should drop the power plant to a 2A for a lot less weight while still having a B efficiency rating. Can do the same with the Power Distributor but it's a toss up if you want your boost to recharge slightly faster while having a slightly longer jump range.

Not sure what the heat sink launcher is there for, the only time you'd approach overheating is while fuel scooping so I'd drop that. Chaff launcher is debatable with the crazy speed the Cobra has but since you're going shield less there's some merit to it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Pretty decent. You should drop the power plant to a 2A for a lot less weight while still having a B efficiency rating. Can do the same with the Power Distributor but it's a toss up if you want your boost to recharge slightly faster while having a slightly longer jump range.

Not sure what the heat sink launcher is there for, the only time you'd approach overheating is while fuel scooping so I'd drop that. Chaff launcher is debatable with the crazy speed the Cobra has but since you're going shield less there's some merit to it.

Thanks for the tips. The Heat Sink launcher is because I am bad at fuel scooping and don't want to blow up halfway between Robigo and the Bubble. That and the chaff don't seem to affect my jump distances so might as well slap them on.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I finally bought this game and amazingly crashed my space boat into many marvelous objects. This is going to take some time.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

2DCAT posted:

I finally bought this game and amazingly crashed my space boat into many marvelous objects. This is going to take some time.

Let me tell you about the absolute first thing I did when I started playing :v:

The first mission I took was just to deliver 2 tons of silver like the next system over from my starting station. As soon as I dropped out of hyperspace, I immediately flew into the sun's gravity well, because I didn't realize it would be so close to me. It was my lovely starter Sidewinder, plus I had no idea what I was doing. By the time I found the escape vector, the heat had already damaged my ship to the point that my cargo hatch malfunctioned and dumped my 2 tons of silver into the sun.

I was so mortified that I reset my save.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

xiansi posted:

It's not easy to tell which way is 'backwards' when docking at an outpost, especially when you are a long way out and can't see the number. You should always dock with the number the right way round, at the end of the pad where your ship's nose will point.

As a general rule of thumb though, if there is a big tall structure one end of the landing pad that would block an approach from that direction, whilst the other side is clear, then you can be sure the correct landing orientation is the dumb one.

Coming back to this:

As you approach an outpost the thing to check for is a) number orientation and b) number location. If you can see the holographic display of the pad outline you can see where the numbers are. The numbers will always be at the front of the pad when you are approaching it from the correct orientation (furthest away from you as you dock).

Just look for the numbers and make sure they're going to be in front of your ship, not behind it, when you touch down on the pad and you'll never approach the pad from the wrong side again. At least that's what works for me and I'm not trying to eyeball the blast deflectors or station architecture at the last second on approach.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I just check the little landing UI once I'm lined up, and if I'm facing the wrong way, I do a sweet space backflip, and then roll over. It is super unprofessional.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I am a big fan of twisting and flipping and poo poo as I come in at full speed then splashing down, but people who are trying to get it right every time will fly straight down towards the pad from above, then just do one rotation to the correct alignment when the orientation control arrives on the HUD.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
If you don't take shields damage, you aren't docking properly. :colbert:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Gonna be real interesting when I start playing again this week. I don't remember much of anything about how I had my 360 controller laid out. Triggers controlled the throttle, and I think I was using the B-button as some kind of controller shift-key? I think like B-LT toggled Frame Shift and B-RT was a hyperjump? I would not be able to tell you which button shoots my guns without checking the options menu first :v:

I stopped playing like right as we were moving to Goatsec. I think I relocated there and then started playing unhealthy amounts of Monster Hunter, or something.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I am a big fan of twisting and flipping and poo poo as I come in at full speed then splashing down, but people who are trying to get it right every time will fly straight down towards the pad from above, then just do one rotation to the correct alignment when the orientation control arrives on the HUD.

http://gfycat.com/PleasedCapitalCod

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

speedometer betrays this is sped up, landing gear down betrays he didn't boost, 1/5.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

radintorov posted:

If you don't take shields damage, you aren't docking properly. :colbert:

Paramemetic posted:

I generally come in at top speed and pop landing gear in the last 100 or so meters. If I know I'm coming in from the wrong side I'll line up over the pad and FA off so I can flip in progress and then boost to kill momentum over the pad.

If you're not using the light poles to stop yourself from speeding past the pad on an outpost you're wrong.

My personal hatred and pure rage is reserved for when my landing pad coming into a large station is the first loving pad in the lineup. God I hate stopping and backing up/flipping around to because the Python is a god damned land whale when it comes to maneuvering.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

That's not always possible, especially at outposts. Sometimes the pad is at such a weird angle in relation to you, you'll be coming in every other way except straight down.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

LCL-Dead posted:

My personal hatred and pure rage is reserved for when my landing pad coming into a large station is the first loving pad in the lineup. God I hate stopping and backing up/flipping around to because the Python is a god damned land whale when it comes to maneuvering.

tbh anything bigger than a Vulture I put a landing computer on it, boost through the slot, then zero the throttle and let the computer figure it out.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

tbh anything bigger than a Vulture I put a landing computer on it, boost through the slot, then zero the throttle and let the computer figure it out.

No room for one in my current FDL fit or I'd think about doing it.

I've also always kind of thought of the docking computer as cheating/lazy. I only use it for poo poo like Robigo runs when docking at outposts and I want to go take a piss or something.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What's a Robigo

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A system 300-ish LY from The Bubble (inhabited space) where you can go to grab "normal" courier or smuggling missions that pay out in the high hundreds of thousands or low single-digit millions because of how far the "nearby" planets are.

There are a few systems like this scattered around. Its a boring, if effective way to grind up credits.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

What's a Robigo

Come with me
And you'll be
In a world of
Pure compensation

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just slam down into the pad going about 50-100 and then right yourself. It has worked for me in the past and will continue to work :colbert:

Yesterday I boosted into some guy who was smuggling coming into a station at high speed while I was boosting out, killing him instantly and leaving me at like 20% hull and blowing through my shields (I was in a type-6 heading to Fehu). He seemed very agitated when my response to his misfortune was "Beep Beep I'm a Truck"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just slam down into the pad going about 50-100 and then right yourself. It has worked for me in the past and will continue to work :colbert:

Yesterday I boosted into some guy who was smuggling coming into a station at high speed while I was boosting out, killing him instantly and leaving me at like 20% hull and blowing through my shields (I was in a type-6 heading to Fehu). He seemed very agitated when my response to his misfortune was "Beep Beep I'm a Truck"

You're doing the Lord's work, Nuclearmonkee.

• Locked thread