Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Every time I hear or read someone got "fired" I rage out because that's not how termination works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Cojawfee posted:

This is the worst part about the military. Sometimes you have to fire someone but it's not possible.

We had a maliciously incompetent LPO (E-6 in charge of daily divisional affairs for you non-navy folks) and leadership (both officer and enlisted) knew it but no one wanted to be responsible for "ruining her career" so they just let poo poo slide. She made chief and was terrible at it so then she became an officer and at least if you're a terrible butter bar that's really all that's expected of you.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

seems fun until you have to do it for hours on end. range 400 loving sucks

and then when it is dark as poo poo after you've been doing dumb poo poo for 14 hours (10+ hours of just sitting around) you go police your brass and don't get home until after midnight, and since your platoon sergeant knows you will come up short on brass weight, sends the platoon back out to the range at 6am to get the rest. and then you get yelled at anyway because the next unit that has to do the live fire is already there, and you have 12 swinging dicks from your platoon standing in the middle of where they are trying to shoot.

and the cycle continues endlessly.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ranges suck and the policing brass poo poo sucks mainly because the ASP requires a certain amount of weight to be turned in, and they scan for rocks, sand filled brass and live rounds. If you don't hit that mark you have to go back out to the range and do it again. Also no more ranges for me.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Thump! posted:

That's a shame. We're the instructors just not aware that you're not supposed to give airmen guns or what?

The vast majority of people there were army infantry and scouts, they had 2-3 marines there and then half a dozen air force people. Leave it to the air force to ruin the one cool thing that the guard let a few privileged people do once. Not to rag only on the air force, there's plenty of dumb servicemen and women in each branch, but on that day specifically. :(

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

heh, picking up brass isn't even all that bad

how about having to find

heh

grenade pins on maneuver lanes

:shepicide:

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 7, 2015

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cole posted:

and then when it is dark as poo poo after you've been doing dumb poo poo for 14 hours (10+ hours of just sitting around) you go police your brass and don't get home until after midnight, and since your platoon sergeant knows you will come up short on brass weight, sends the platoon back out to the range at 6am to get the rest. and then you get yelled at anyway because the next unit that has to do the live fire is already there, and you have 12 swinging dicks from your platoon standing in the middle of where they are trying to shoot.

and the cycle continues endlessly.

some shithead will almost invariably lose their a barrel or peq2 or their nods or some other piece of serialized gear and wont tell their team leader until hours later when it comes up missing during accountability :suicide:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

This reminds me of the time a guy in my unit tried to steal an m16 during AT. Another soldier had reported it missing after he assumed it was secured in his bunk and the brigade wide search party began until, for some really odd reason, in the ceiling tiles above the dude who stole it, there it was. They ended up rummaging through all of the guys equipment and found a bunch of bayonets, 2 CLS bags and whatever optics that the army uses, aimpoints I believe?

Yeah, that was the talk of the AT.

The last AT was neat, where we had our new guy who transferred units pop hot for Meth and he didn't get kicked out for about 2 months but was forced to drill with us. Like he didn't participate in anything but he went with us to the chow hall and in the barracks, but was essentially on lock-down. Halfways through AT he was acting even weirder than usual, and we found him filling up his camelback in the chow hall with orange juice.

hoooooooaaaahhhhhhhhh

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Reminds me of the time we went to Ft. Pickett and lost an M4. The Marines were there too doing their own thing, and everyone was out of the barracks doing whatever except for sniper section, who was pretty much just chilling out for the day. Everyone had their M4s slung on the bedposts while they were in, and I guess whoever was watching things went to take a poo poo. When he came back, no M4.

According to the story, some upstanding young never-do-foul Marines simply found the M4 magically in a ditch next to the barracks and figured hey, this is probably important, should probably take this back to the barracks. Apparently they had the M4 for a day or two while our unit was having the wrath of god brought down on us- the ATF was about to get involved if it couldn't be found by the Army since I guess Pickett is so close to the state line and it would have made it be in federal jurisdiction had it been smuggled away. Word got out to the Marines that the Army wasn't just doing hands across America and duffel dumps every hour on the hour because it was fun, and they realized that hey, this M4 might be the one missing!

I guess whoever had it got really loving scared of possible consequences, so instead of being like "here you go, here's your M4 back that we found and totally didn't steal", they hid it in a rusty locker in the middle of the woods and assumed we would find it eventually. Which was interesting, because we had checked over this random-rear end locker in the middle of the loving forest like 3 times already so it obviously was put there by somebody who knew what was going on. Only problem was the M4 had been stripped of its laser and optic.

I think we ended up just writing it off since everyone was a little fatigued from the stress of having the Feds potentially coming down on the unit, but I know deep down the Marines stole that poo poo. It was funny, command was getting so desperate they ended up treating everyone like a suspect and had both an anonymous tip box, 24/7 confession tent, and CID interviewed each and every person in the unit. Towards the end, if I remember correctly, the CO even promised amnesty even if you did purposefully steal it. It was the most intense lost sensitive item buttfuckery I have ever witnessed.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 7, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

some shithead will almost invariably lose their a barrel or peq2 or their nods or some other piece of serialized gear and wont tell their team leader until hours later when it comes up missing during accountability :suicide:

We had a guy hand his NODs off to someone to use. And then that guy handed them off to someone else to use. And three hours later in the dark we are looking for NODs on the range even though somebody has them, we just don't know who.

And nobody had the foresight to make the HQ guys that came with us bring their own poo poo.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
CO left his M9 on the redeployment plane after 12 months in Afghanistan, it turned up in Alaska 18 hours later which we spent dumping our bags and rucks in the company HQ, under lockdown, as our families waited outside.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Cole posted:

We had a guy hand his NODs off to someone to use. And then that guy handed them off to someone else to use. And three hours later in the dark we are looking for NODs on the range even though somebody has them, we just don't know who.

And nobody had the foresight to make the HQ guys that came with us bring their own poo poo.

This is why things get dummy-corded! :v:

Zeris posted:

CO left his M9 on the redeployment plane after 12 months in Afghanistan, it turned up in Alaska 18 hours later which we spent dumping our bags and rucks in the company HQ, under lockdown, as our families waited outside.

I'm still not sure why they even bother giving officers a pistol.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
And to think they used to let you take pistols and poo poo off your vanquished foes and just toss it into your duffel bag when you got sent home

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It's all fun and games until you find a bag of gold teeth in pop-pops foot locker.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Zeris posted:

too bad it was a couple days too late to frag that sorry gently caress

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

LingcodKilla posted:

It's all fun and games until you find a bag of gold teeth in pop-pops foot locker.

And then it's even more fun and games. Have you seen the price of gold lately?

You just KNOW some dude at one of those cash-for-gold places got a package full of 1930s and 40s dental work some vet's grandson sent in and just went "what the gently caress"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My dentist straight up told me he saves any gold fillings he has to remove for part of his retirement.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey their former owners weren't using them anymore!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

gear adrift must be a gift

i hope the dude who was suppose to be gear guard for that m4 was crucified

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

We had a maliciously incompetent LPO (E-6 in charge of daily divisional affairs for you non-navy folks) and leadership (both officer and enlisted) knew it but no one wanted to be responsible for "ruining her career" so they just let poo poo slide. She made chief and was terrible at it so then she became an officer and at least if you're a terrible butter bar that's really all that's expected of you.

Did her last name start with a P and end with an N?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I remember reading a story here about a lost M9 in Iraq/Afg that lead to something like 2 deaths and a crashed helo searching for it. Does anyone remember that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty sure someone posted it in this thread somewhere.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Dingleberry posted:

Did her last name start with a P and end with an N?

I only remember her last name but it was windham and she sucked. Also doesn't surprise me that it's a common thing in the military.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not exactly a lost gun story (and I know I've posted it before) but I knew a captain who, during an argument with a SNCO set his M9 on the table between them and said something to the effect of "Well I'm an officer."

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure someone posted it in this thread somewhere.

Google points to about here may require archives? I liked the part where it was easier to crash two helicopters and kill a bunch of Americans than to do the "poo poo got lost" paperwork.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

pkells posted:

I remember reading a story here about a lost M9 in Iraq/Afg that lead to something like 2 deaths and a crashed helo searching for it. Does anyone remember that?

http://www.socnet.com/archive/index.php/t-83469.html

Two OH58Ds (Kiowas) were tasked to search for a lost M9 in the dark, received enemy small arms fire and crashed into each other during evasive maneuvers. It was my old unit on the deployment before I joined them.

For reference, the thermal optics on Kiowas are late Cold War-era tech calibrated to Soviet tank heat signatures. You know the drill -- Kiowa scouts the tanks, conducts handoff to an Apache which pops over a crest to shoot a hellfire and dips back down. Kiowa optics weren't worth poo poo in OEF, and according to the pilots I worked with, OIF wasn't any better.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

The Slithery D posted:

Thanks for reminding me of this bit of epic stupidity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/world/middleeast/27iraq.html

Here's what happened. My battalion was being moved mid-tour from the area south of Kirkuk to Mosul. Blackhawks land at a COP to pick up some soldiers and move them to FOB Warrior for further onward movement. En route, one of the pilots or crew drops his loving M9 pistol outside the helicopter into the moondust at night. (Rumor said it was a pilot who hadn't secured it with his lanyard after taking a piss.)

My company, already living at FOB Warrior and pulling the QRF mission gets the dumbest loving assignment of all time. Go to the specified grid and look for the M9. At night. In a desert crisscrossed by irrigation canals. Care to guess how many seconds after dropping the pistol they though to grab a grid, and how fast they were moving? Yeah.

So one of my buddies and his platoon go out look for the thing for an hour, and head back.

So then some genius, and I would love to know if it was at my BN ops or the aviation BN/BDE, TASKS TWO loving KIOWAS TO GO LOOK FOR THE M9 FROM THE AIR, WITH THEIR OPTICS, AT NIGHT. I don't know how long they tried this asshattery, but at some point they crashed into each other. The same loving platoon from my company went back out, secured the aircraft and bodies, and waited for EOD to come take care of the hellfires and other fun stuff sitting near/in burning fuel and then the recovery vehicles.

I would have heard if they ever executed anyone over this, so I guess no one was sufficiently punished. The most infuriating thing about the Army is leaders who can't adapt TTPs to different situations or understand why we do things a certain way and why it's completely asinine in changed circumstances. Some dipshit decided he needed to do the closest thing to a hands across the desert he could for a missing sensitive item, and four men died.

A week later the insurgency found that M9 and that's why we have ISIS now.

(The above based on testimony of the QRF platoon leader and what he was told at the time. I suppose it's remotely possible some enemy action was actually responsible, but in any case it happened while they were circling on a fool's errand someone ordered them to perform.)

From the proverbial horse's mouth.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

That Kiowa story is a wonderful thing, minus the casualties.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I don't even get angry about it anymore.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Not exactly a lost gun story (and I know I've posted it before) but I knew a captain who, during an argument with a SNCO set his M9 on the table between them and said something to the effect of "Well I'm an officer."

Is that your "and then the crazy officer pulled a gun on the SNCO" story or is there another one? Because I feel like you've got another one but maybe I'm mashing Godholio's Wild and Wacky AWACS Adventures together

Discount_Bees
Aug 1, 2007

How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

Justin Tyme posted:

heh, picking up brass isn't even all that bad

how about having to find

heh

grenade pins on maneuver lanes

:shepicide:

This is terrible. I shot 10,000 rounds of 7.62 in a day and I didn't have to clean up poo poo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I had one where a private went Ricky Bobby when deployed and flagged a bunch of NCO and Brass. I posted it earlier I am sure.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Also, the Netherlands shooting range as loving tits. Better than the Germans. We were out there with nothing except a LBE. We got a demonstration by the officer, like a LTC or something in our system, smoking loving cigar the entire time. 20/20. poo poo was amazing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Is that your "and then the crazy officer pulled a gun on the SNCO" story or is there another one? Because I feel like you've got another one but maybe I'm mashing Godholio's Wild and Wacky AWACS Adventures together

Same story. But that guy factored into several other stories...making GBS threads directly in front of his SERE team, almost starting a fire at FL290, losing his qual for almost causing a midair...

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
https://www.facebook.com/dan.gardner.961/videos/10101038800913374/

some context:
-theyre all mormons so they dont curse
-this is in afghanistan on the helmand river. 2nd lar arrived in july when the river was at its lowest. by december or january(when the video was shot), the river was higher and faster to the point that it couldn't be swam.
-a few days earlier, a 7ton had sank in the same area. it wasn't recovered while i was there.

these guys are trying to go from the bn fob to their companys cop across the river with laundry, muffins and ripits. except the guy in charge wasn't school trained so he didn't know what the gently caress he was doing. left the hull plugs of the bottom of the vic and sank it in the helmand. the vehicle didn't leave bn maint the rest of the deployment and the ssgt vehicle commander somehow avoided an njp. he just spent the rest of the deployment as the camp guard sgt.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

some context:
-this is in afghanistan on the helmand river. 2nd lar arrived in july when the river was at its lowest. by december or january(when the video was shot), the river was higher and faster to the point that it couldn't be swam.
-a few days earlier, a 7ton had sank in the same area. it wasn't recovered while i was there.

these guys are trying to go from the bn fob to their companys cop across the river with laundry, muffins and ripits. except the guy in charge wasn't school trained so he didn't know what the gently caress he was doing. left the hull plugs of the bottom of the vic and sank it in the helmand. the vehicle didn't leave bn maint the rest of the deployment and the ssgt vehicle commander somehow avoided an njp. he just spent the rest of the deployment as the camp guard sgt.

thanks 4 their service

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

some context:

Wait shouldn't there be a bridge or a ford or something? Seems like a bad idea if a company is separated from support by an hard to cross river, or there is a bridge just out of shot but they decided for funsies to use the boat mode on their vehicle.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It seemed like it was riding low as soon as it entered the water...is that how it's supposed to sit?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well, I suppose that's one way to stay inside the wire the rest of deployment.

There's no way he didn't destroy that for funsies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Chillyrabbit posted:

Wait shouldn't there be a bridge or a ford or something? Seems like a bad idea if a company is separated from support by an hard to cross river, or there is a bridge just out of shot but they decided for funsies to use the boat mode on their vehicle.

after they discovered that 6 months out of the year the helmand is too deep to ford and fast to swim, they got some army bridging company to run a pontoon bridge. when the unit we relieved got there in july, the water was lower.

not caring here posted:

Well, I suppose that's one way to stay inside the wire the rest of deployment.

There's no way he didn't destroy that for funsies.

dude was pretty dumb.

Godholio posted:

It seemed like it was riding low as soon as it entered the water...is that how it's supposed to sit?

yes