Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Kimmalah posted:

So is anyone playing the PC version of this with an older controller? I have a 360 controller I use but obviously this game wasn't designed with that in mind so I wondered if it was going to cause major issues. I don't mind doing stuff like menus and the settlement building with mouse and keyboard, combat is mainly what I'm concerned with.

Apparently instead of the +10 melee damage, it ends up giving you something like a 500% increase. On the other hand rank 5 of the Big Leagues perk is bugged and may reduce your damage so melee is really messed up. :v:

I play with a wired 360 controller. The main problem I have is that I always hit left bumper out of habit to switch between 1st/3rd/workshop view instead of select and kill settlers by accident. Also I play melee and hammer the poo poo out of right trigger, it doesn't feel like as many swings register as they should. This might be because I have a poo poo laptop though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RBA Starblade posted:

Idiot Savant Melee builds are insanely easy holy poo poo. Just enter vats and hammer the left mouse button.
I swam across a lake and then hit up sushine co-op and found two legendaries - the first dropped a bleeding 10mm pistol and the second one killed me.

Ten reloads later I still haven't seen two legendary enemies but I settled on the 40% VATS reduction combat knife since I was melee specced. Holy poo poo I added serrated and this thing is ABSURD and I've only got like 3 or 4 AGI.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Internet Kraken posted:

He'll keep saying it before various lines throughout the game. Its...not so great. The tone he says your name often varies wildly from that of the line he follows it with. But yes, he will try to give an emotional speech about how much he cares for your family and then say MR. FUCKFACE during the middle of it.
It annoyed me to a surprising extent that he calls me "MISS JENNIFER" on my she-hulk character, when I'm obviously loving married and not a "Miss" or "Mizz"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

coyo7e posted:

It annoyed me to a surprising extent that he calls me "MISS JENNIFER" on my she-hulk character, when I'm obviously loving married and not a "Miss" or "Mizz"

He knew what was coming. Codsworth was in on it :aaaaa:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

No you can't. Your back story for New Vegas is "courier." That's exactly the same as the main character in this game being in the army or a lawyer.
I guess I missed the part where my amnesiac "courier" (as you say) woke up and WAS ENTIRELY FOCUSED ON FINDING HIS/HER MISSING SON

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

coyo7e posted:

I guess I missed the part where my amnesiac "courier" (as you say) woke up and WAS ENTIRELY FOCUSED ON FINDING HIS/HER MISSING SON SHOOTER

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm getting a little confused about my settlement building. I assign settlers to spots, like stores and then they just wind up not keeping that post, causing my happiness to go down. I keep going from 82-83-82 and have no clue how to consistently improve it or have settlers stay at their posts.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I guess I missed the part where my amnesiac "courier" (as you say) woke up and WAS ENTIRELY FOCUSED ON FINDING HIS/HER MISSING SON
p.s.
i'll find my son
who took my son
who found my son

nick makes me think of that flash tub.
if only the game supported that...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Toriori posted:

I'm getting a little confused about my settlement building. I assign settlers to spots, like stores and then they just wind up not keeping that post, causing my happiness to go down. I keep going from 82-83-82 and have no clue how to consistently improve it or have settlers stay at their posts.
Stop caring. Only assign settlers to food when it's not going up on its own (most settlers will autoassign themselves to farm if they have no other job, although you MIGHT need to manually assign one to it first). Only assign settlers to a shop when you need to use it. Turn off the radio recruiting beacon after you get three or four extra because the more, the buggier.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
how do I get my 100 though?

Also I really miss how New Vegas ended where you got a little cutscene for each companion and how things turned out for them. Enjoying the game but it's not without its flaws for sure.

also what's this with Ruth Bader Ginsberg and the silver shroud quest?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Toriori posted:

Also I really miss how New Vegas ended where you got a little cutscene for each companion and how things turned out for them. Enjoying the game but it's not without its flaws for sure.

Same :(

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

coyo7e posted:

coyo7e posted:

Stop caring.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Here's the fun part, you don't get to use those things on me because I never took up a failed flag like "the courier beginning is exactly like having your wife/husband murdered and child stolen", that would be idiotic, and nobody with more than a kindergarten level education would fail to see the massive gaps between the two which you seem to feel are equivalent. :crossarms:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i really, really wish you could remove the ceilings to get indoors shots 'cuz they'd look really amazing

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't see how "find your kid" is a less flexible backstory than "save your vault/save your village/find your dad". New Vegas gives the player a lot of freedom to come up with their own background, but its an outlier compared to the other games, not the standard.

I'd say the forced background of soldier and lawyer are a bigger issue but those are barely relevant so they haven't gotten in the way of my RP at all.

DwarvenZombie
Aug 3, 2014

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Make fallout 4 play like Diablo 3.

Uhh baby yes... isometric goodness.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fereydun posted:

i really, really wish you could remove the ceilings to get indoors shots 'cuz they'd look really amazing

drat, these are great.

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches
I don't think simple fixed backstory ruins being able to make up silly poo poo in your head for your character.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fereydun posted:

Are you using some kind of camera cheat/mod or did you just capture these naturally? They look like screenshots from an HD remastering of the old isometric Fallout games.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't see how "find your kid" is a less flexible backstory than "save your vault/save your village/find your dad". New Vegas gives the player a lot of freedom to come up with their own background, but its an outlier compared to the other games, not the standard.

Agreed. While it isn't the absolute blank slate that NV gives you, there's TONS of opportunity for good roleplaying.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

CasualMaleXL posted:

I don't think simple fixed backstory ruins being able to make up silly poo poo in your head for your character.
it doesn't really, but the purpose of a game is to reinforce that silly poo poo in your head through gameplay mechanics, allowing for player expression of what they want- that's ultimately where fallout 4 fails since it's streamlined both in the quest solution/dialogue and character building system to where you don't have that kind of specialization or character archetype specific stuff that folks will have in their head if they're doing so. this has been retread a bunch in the thread so i won't go more into it 'cuz it feels cyclical at this point haha

but yeah if anyone's interested, rope kid's gdc conference presentation talkin' about dialogue/choice in rpgs covers it:
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1015758/Do-%28Say%29-The-Right-Thing
edit:
skip to "step 2: define character/player expression" for that if you just wanna get to it i guess

King Vidiot posted:

Are you using some kind of camera cheat/mod or did you just capture these naturally? They look like screenshots from an HD remastering of the old isometric Fallout games.
camera cheat through the console- changing the field of view to 18 degrees or so and then freecam alongside freezing the game with 'tfc 1' so i can zoom out super far after making the fov so tiny.
apparently that super low fov + zoomed out view is key for isometric view? that's what that some image said about the difference between perspective view and isometric view

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 8, 2015

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

There really isn't much room for role playing because you're role is canned. You're either a lawyer or veteran whose looking for your son. :shrug:

At least in New Vegas you could role play whatever the gently caress before you wound up in a shallow grave with a moonroof in your dome piece.

didnt they retcon your character to being some ncr courier who created the divide?

ive decided that the sole survivors are both war criminals. male ss participated in the annexation of canada. the guy in power suit who executed the canadian in tne street in the first fallout intro is totally him. the female ss helped to organize the show trials that shipped chinese americans into internment camps including the one in big mt where they were used as human experiments. dlc will be a band of vengeful ghouls from pre war days hunti g you down, israeli nazi hunters style

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

khy posted:

Agreed. While it isn't the absolute blank slate that NV gives you, there's TONS of opportunity for good roleplaying.
"What do you want?"

"FIND SHAUN"
"MY SON IS MISSING"
"KIDNAPPING"
"NEVERMIND"

I guess if you think that's good writing then, well, you should buy my new sci-fi trilogy which involves the protagonist's child being murdered/stolen immediately, before the protagonist wanders off to plant tatos and get radio deejays laid.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mr. Pumroy posted:

didnt they retcon your character to being some ncr courier who created the divide?

ive decided that the sole survivors are both war criminals. male ss participated in the annexation of canada. the guy in power suit who executed the canadian in tne street in the first fallout intro is totally him. the female ss helped to organize the show trials that shipped chinese americans into internment camps including the one in big mt where they were used as human experiments. dlc will be a band of vengeful ghouls from pre war days hunti g you down, israeli nazi hunters style

Sort of. They didn't really specify NCR or not but as a courier you DID create a community in the divide, you DID spend enough time and return there enough for Ulysses to be able to make the claim that you must have held a deep affection for the place, that it must have become a home to you. And you WERE the one who eventually destroyed it by activating the nukes, inadvertently or not.

In my game, here's how I've been playing my character :

'The man who came out of the military wasn't the same man who went into it'. His time in the military changed him - when he came home from service, he went through the motions but everything felt fake to him. He never felt like he belonged, only like he was pretending to. On the surface everything seemed fine but just underneath his marriage had been crumbling as distance grew and grew between him and his wife. She couldn't understand him after all he'd been through. The pressures of a polite, modern society were so different than the military that he never felt like he belonged in the tranquility of urban life. That's why his wife left him the holotape, trying to bridge the distance that had grown between them, trying to draw him back to her as he'd been pulling away.

When the world ended he felt the initial shock of seeing civilians - american civilians specifically - dead around him. As he stepped out into the wastes he felt a stab through his heart as he realised that the country he'd pledged to was ash; but as he explored more, he started to feel better about things. His home was always with his squad, out on the front lines. If anything the new world suited him more. As he stepped forth from the vault he felt his old training coming to the fore - establish a base of operations, secure supply lines throughout the area, gather intel about the area, about his missing child, the factions vying for control, and so on.

It would be even more enjoyable if the enclave were in this game. If they were antagonists he could be torn between their atrocities and his loyalty. And if they were a joinable faction he'd be with them in a heartbeat. Ah well, you can't have everything.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Fereydun posted:

it doesn't really, but the purpose of a game is to reinforce that silly poo poo in your head through gameplay mechanics, allowing for player expression of what they want- that's ultimately where fallout 4 fails since it's streamlined both in the quest solution/dialogue and character building system to where you don't have that kind of specialization or character archetype specific stuff that folks will have in their head if they're doing so.
This is the problem, not the backstory

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Mr. Pumroy posted:

All they really said is that you delivered packages to a town in what became the divide for a while (maybe a few years?). Ulysses just reads a lot into that.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly, I don't think it's a bad idea in and of itself, it's more the implementation that falls flat. Between the blase voice acting ("They... they took my son. I have... to find Shaun. :geno:") and some very bland dialogue options, it doesn't really resonate as much as it seems like it could.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

coyo7e posted:

"What do you want?"

"FIND SHAUN"
"MY SON IS MISSING"
"KIDNAPPING"
"NEVERMIND"

I guess if you think that's good writing then, well, you should buy my new sci-fi trilogy which involves the protagonist's child being murdered/stolen immediately, before the protagonist wanders off to plant tatos and get radio deejays laid.

So why can't I play New Vegas as a guy who wants to leave Benny alone? Why do I HAVE to find some guy that shot me? I mean, if he wants the chip that badly, let him have it. It was only worth 250 caps to deliver the drat thing. The guy already shot me in the head once, why the hell do I HAVE to chase him down? Why can't I tell him "Just take the chip, I don't care. Here, a package from NCR Outpost bravo. Sign for it and I'm gone."

You play a game with a main story you're GONNA get railroaded down that story. I can't think of a single game for which that isn't true. At least Bethesda games let you deviate from them in the form of 'just go do sidequests and enjoy yourself'. Hell, in that regard Fallout 4 is better than 3 and NV. Eventually, though it might take a looooong time, you're gonna run out of quests to do in NV. You're going to explore all there is in the Mojave. You're going to be forced to do the main quest simply because there's nothing else left. At least in 4, the radiant quests (While awful and repetitive) will continue on as long as you want them to. I will grant you that eventually you'll get sick of them but it's more than NV gave you.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

khy posted:

So why can't I play New Vegas as a guy who wants to leave Benny alone?

You can. :crossarms:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's cool how in the Brotherhood quest to find the missing scout team you find a guy who has been surviving on his own for 3 years and has gone all kooky, yet there are TWO characters who have been locked in tiny rooms for 200 years but its had no effect on them whatsoever.

P.S. The courier did not have amnesia you dumb motherfucker stop saying that or I'll go super saiyan.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fereydun posted:

camera cheat through the console- changing the field of view to 18 degrees or so and then freecam alongside freezing the game with 'tfc 1' so i can zoom out super far after making the fov so tiny.
apparently that super low fov + zoomed out view is key for isometric view? that's what that some image said about the difference between perspective view and isometric view

By moving far away and zooming in with the FOV you flatten out the perspective. That makes it look more similar to old isometric games where there was no perspective at all.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fereydun posted:

nah, the main launcher now does that. it edits the plugins.txt or whatever located in your appdata/local folder to only load the main esm
you can bypass it just by editing that back and launching directly from the exe, though

Your plugins.txt should always be read-only until you manually edit it

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

khy posted:

So why can't I play New Vegas as a guy who wants to leave Benny alone? Why do I HAVE to find some guy that shot me? I mean, if he wants the chip that badly, let him have it. It was only worth 250 caps to deliver the drat thing. The guy already shot me in the head once, why the hell do I HAVE to chase him down? Why can't I tell him "Just take the chip, I don't care. Here, a package from NCR Outpost bravo. Sign for it and I'm gone."
ok i said i'd avoid it but i couldn't resist b/c of this specifically 'cuz this is actually what happened in my first playthrough since i'm a goody two-shoes

i forgave him and he peaced out/sent his goons after me in the room and that's pretty much it for him
he tried to continue with his plan and got grabbed by caesar- it converges at that point but you have that option to let it happen rather than blowing his brains out and taking the chip right there.
hell, you don't have to run into him ever after that if you go on the NCR path iirc because you never have to actually go to the fort/meet caesar for it

blue squares posted:

Your plugins.txt should always be read-only until you manually edit it
the gently caress? really? that wasn't the case for me.

7c Nickel posted:

By moving far away and zooming in with the FOV you flatten out the perspective. That makes it look more similar to old isometric games where there was no perspective at all.
ahh, that makes sense. that's cool!

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 8, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I will never understand how 'You can gently caress off and ignore the quest to find your son to plant crops and babysit people for 250 hours like some sort of sociopath' and 'I don't like how the game railroads you into taking this specific path around the map, following the main story the entire way' are seriously criticisms of the same game franchise.

What. Do. You. Want.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah you could totally ignore Benny if you didn't really care about getting revenge. Though most factions did give you a quest to kill/deal with him since he had the platinum chip which was pretty central to their goals.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Magmarashi posted:

I will never understand how 'You can gently caress off and ignore the quest to find your son to plant crops and babysit people for 250 hours like some sort of sociopath' and 'I don't like how the game railroads you into taking this specific path around the map, following the main story the entire way' are seriously criticisms of the same game franchise.

What. Do. You. Want.

The criticism is that the game is trying to have it both ways.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fereydun posted:

the gently caress? really? that wasn't the case for me.

Thats why you click on the little box that says "read only" on the properties tab of the file

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

blue squares posted:

Thats why you click on the little box that says "read only" on the properties tab of the file

oh derp, i misread what you posted, haha.
i thought you meant "the file should already be read-only", rather than "you should make the file read-only so the launcher can't mess with it"

for my stupidity here is another dumb screenshot because i can't stop

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

The armor mods that "decrease explosive damage" - what are the actual numbers on those? Does anyone know? I'm just wondering how much benefit I get from having one piece of armor with it versus all my pieces of armor with it, weighing it against paint mods and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Can't you choose your code name for the Railroad? I mean, that even changes what is written on a chalkboard. If that isn't some serious agency and roleplaying material, I don't know what is.

• Locked thread