Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

AnonSpore posted:

Maybe because using match heads to dislodge ticks has been a thing in real life (though not recommended!) for decades and you assumed it would work like that?

Must be. Though looking up the Tick lead me to find that it gives you a red heart on entering boss rooms, I thought it only did the HP removal thing. It's nice to know that there's two upsides to accidentally picking it up, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Wait, they removed some of the bullshit rooms? What what what? Did I just step into some alternate dimension where Ed found a smidgen of sanity under his pillow somewhere?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
starting with the mantle was probably just a concession to the fact that most people wouldn't even try to complete lost runs unless they found it in the first two floors

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Toadsmash posted:

Wait, they removed some of the bullshit rooms? What what what? Did I just step into some alternate dimension where Ed found a smidgen of sanity under his pillow somewhere?

It's almost like he's not a nutter personally attacking every single person who ever bought his game or something

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Soy Milk + Ipecac + Car Battery + Box of Friends + Epic Dr. Fetus

The Epic Dr. Fetus reverses the tear decrease of Ipecac, maxing out the tear delay again. And since Incubus is unbound by the 15/sec tear limit like Isaac, and I can spawn multiples...

Let's just say I carpet bombed greed mode. Literally just ran across the bottom of the screen firing north.

Edit: Also, is Nicalis just incapable of fixing the Soy Milk glitch? And if they are, why not change the damage multiplier to something less severe so that it all evens out?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 8, 2015

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
:siren: Afterbirth † update :siren:

Quick overview of the Bestiary and the modding tools that will be available.

Who here likes Lua?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
But if the updates continue to be good who will I blame when I die? :confused:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

JVNO posted:

Edit: Also, is Nicalis just incapable of fixing the Soy Milk glitch? And if they are, why not change the damage multiplier to something less severe so that it all evens out?

The weird part about it is that the Evil Eye isn't affected by it. It'll fire at 30 TPS. So it's apparently doable in some form. (Sadly it doesn't work with Incubus. I tried to see if that was the case.)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I think I hit on why Magdalene absolutely fuckign sucks to play

I'm rewatching an old lp and the thing I'm realizing about vanilla (pre-wrath) isaac is that everything in it was so fast. Default Isaac was fast as gently caress, his tear delay was lower, and for everyone (player and enemy alike) shot speed was really, REALLY fast

So what that meant was that Maggy being slightly slower was actually a blessing in disguise because she inherently slowed the game down. Playing maggy meant you HAD to play more cautiously by default, because it took her longer to do stuff. Default Isaac was twitchy as gently caress and makes the game appear to be a four-way twitch shooter when it's actually a zelda roguelike. and, plus, this was pre-lamb- there was no reason to go quickly. no unlocks or items were tied to the speed in which you completed the game, so there was no real cost to her play

When binding switched over to rebirth Maggy went from balanced to garbage, because everyone and everything's speed was decreased. This was probably to make boss rush an actual achievement to get, so either Ed, Nicalis or both nerfed everyone's speed across the board. Tear delay also got hit, as well- a way to also slow the pace in which players clear rooms, while backdoor making tear delay into a full-featured upgradeable stat. and finally, tear speed got hit, since the old tear speed would've made dodging bullets with every character's decreased speed obscenely difficult to almost impossible.

all these changes also ended up permanently changing Isaac from even intimating that it's some twitch-based four-ray shooter to being a clear roguelike, since the whole pace of the game was slowed and focused more on strategic thinking than pure reflex. overall, this was a good change to binding. the game is slower, and as a result requires more thought and skill to play well. but what this meant was that magdalene is now monstrous to play, since enemies inherently take longer to kill, dodging bullets doesn't really rely on twitch-based reflexes any more (and anyone with even a modicum of skill can do so), but firstly and most importantly magdalene's speed nerf went from taking a really fast game and making it slower to taking an already, if not slow then certainly deliberately paced game and making it feel like you're walking through molasses. and then they bolted on a bunch of loving speed unlocks to all the characters so getting to boss rush with maggy feels nightmarish and like slowly wading through quicksand

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
By jove, folks, I think he's cracked it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Huh. I did forget about how fast the original game was. And that does explain something I was wondering. In the original game, Knights were a massive pain to deal with, but in Rebirth they felt much easier to take down. Guess that explains why.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Toxxupation posted:

So I think I hit on why Magdalene absolutely fuckign sucks to play
cool but keeper also has poo poo speed and eden can REALLY gently caress you over

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Tick can now be removed by picking up The Matchstick.

This was a rumor from WotL I cannot believe this. :allears:

Geight posted:

I can't find anything stating that this was previously possible, so I have no idea why I was so sure that was the case. :shrug:

That's why.

VineST posted:

cool but keeper also has poo poo speed and eden can REALLY gently caress you over

You know Eden tokens aren't like, super hard to get, right? I cannot believe anyone really struggles through a bad Eden start unless they're streaking and even then that's the whole point of streaking.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

The weird part about it is that the Evil Eye isn't affected by it. It'll fire at 30 TPS. So it's apparently doable in some form. (Sadly it doesn't work with Incubus. I tried to see if that was the case.)

Incubus is also not affected :v:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I never played Isaac before WotL so that's interesting to know that the original release of the game was a lot faster at first.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

TheModernAmerican posted:

You know Eden tokens aren't like, super hard to get, right? I cannot believe anyone really struggles through a bad Eden start unless they're streaking and even then that's the whole point of streaking.

I stopped counting a long time ago, I think Edmund may have overestimated their scarcity

I feel like there's more to the issue than speed, I think part of it is that experienced players value red hearts very little after getting a hang of things.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

red hearts still give value in donation machines and for the newly reworked sacrifice rooms, and as more convenient items to give in devil deals then three soul/black hearts

but yeah beyond that they're kind of an albatross

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah I tend to try to stay at 1 red or so, just to make devil deals lucrative and activate things like polaroid/Babylon. I do want to give sacrifice rooms a shot now though.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Toxxupation posted:

there was no reason to go quickly. no unlocks or items were tied to the speed in which you completed the game
I was speedrunning the game back then. going fast was a lot more fun than going slow. that's a good enough reason. it's not necessary to be fed rewards by the developer like you're in a skinner box.

also I think the premise of this post is wrong. I looked at some of my pre-wotl vods and the movement speed seems basically the same as the current game. have you done any measurements to support what you're saying here?

quote:

Tear delay also got hit, as well- a way to also slow the pace in which players clear rooms
THIS part I'm completely sure is wrong. the tear delay formula has been the same since forever.
starting isaac tear delay was 11 frames pre-wotl and it's 11 frames today. (both based on a 30 fps clock; they ported all the delay and damage calculations directly over into rebirth)

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

JVNO posted:

Is there any actual evidence that the soy milk thing is a bug? can someone link me to a developer saying it is? or did like, some streamer speculate on it and ya'll have been treating it like a fact?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well there's the evil eye + soy milk interaction for one thing. If you have both than your eye shots will fire tears at twice the speed that you do.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fun fact: Mega Satan's stages can totally drop a black heart if you kill them with a black heart prducing item (in my case anathame). Of course he'll drop it outside of the stage so it won't do you any good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Still haven't found Kidney Stone though I've gotten Mega Blast like 5 times. Is Kidney Stone unusually rare or am I just unlucky?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RatHat posted:

Still haven't found Kidney Stone though I've gotten Mega Blast like 5 times. Is Kidney Stone unusually rare or am I just unlucky?

You're unlucky. I've ran into it quite a bit, and even got it on a few Eden runs.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Re: the speed thing I'd encourage other people who played a bunch of the original game to boot it back up on steam to check it out. It looks so, so bad.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

RatHat posted:

opposite situation here

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Power of Pecota posted:

Re: the speed thing I'd encourage other people who played a bunch of the original game to boot it back up on steam to check it out. It looks so, so bad.

I did just that after the Eternal update dropped. I was even one of the big babies who disliked that Rebirth look at first, but gently caress going back to flash Isaac is rough.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's like watching a slideshow. Good gravy there were lots of frame drops on that thing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Afterbirths loving up my machines performance with all those pointless and obfuscating screen effects in burning basement etc

Especially since they're strictly cosmetic I really wish there was a way to turn that poo poo off

It's like binding of Isaac can't just be a game that runs well, they have to stick a bunch of unnecessary particles onscreen to hamper performance no matter what engine it's in

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Toxxupation posted:

Afterbirths loving up my machines performance with all those pointless and obfuscating screen effects in burning basement etc

Especially since they're strictly cosmetic I really wish there was a way to turn that poo poo off

It's like binding of Isaac can't just be a game that runs well, they have to stick a bunch of unnecessary particles onscreen to hamper performance no matter what engine it's in

You can turn screen-obscuring effects off pretty easily. Changing those settings should get rid of them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

D10 also got a change. Not sure about calling a buff or a nerf though. Now it only rerolls into enemies on the current floor. No Womb enemies in the Basement, but no more Basement exclusive enemies in the Womb. Oh well, it's probably a better early-game pickup now.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Dr. Fetus posted:

D10 also got a change. Not sure about calling a buff or a nerf though. Now it only rerolls into enemies on the current floor. No Womb enemies in the Basement, but no more Basement exclusive enemies in the Womb. Oh well, it's probably a better early-game pickup now.

Did it really? Used it in a run just now and got lumps on basement 2, and a "not boss" version of a gurgling.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm still not sure what the point of it even is.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

nerdbot posted:

Keeper doesn't need nearly as much help to get through a run as Lost did before Afterbirth, but there are still runs I've had with him that just make me feel like the game wasn't designed for a character who works exactly like this because the game does not reasonably accommodate how you have to play when you're Keeper. I really hope they mess with him soon.

If you want to fix the keeper take both of his negative values and set them at zero. (luck, tears) and then set his speed at one instead of .5 or whatever the gently caress it is.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Grapplejack posted:

If you want to fix the keeper take both of his negative values and set them at zero. (luck, tears) and then set his speed at one instead of .5 or whatever the gently caress it is.
Negative luck seems fair - otherwise you just find a blood donation machine and go to town, right?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Einwand posted:

Did it really? Used it in a run just now and got lumps on basement 2, and a "not boss" version of a gurgling.

Huh. Maybe I just got lucky with the RNG, then. I'll test it more later.

Edit: Fly enemies can only be refilled into other fly enemies. Red and yellow flies can't be rerolled. Enemies with dotted segments like Gemini won't have those segments rerolled into a bunch of different enemies. Most of the time, anyways.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 8, 2015

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

DraconicImpulse posted:

I did just that after the Eternal update dropped. I was even one of the big babies who disliked that Rebirth look at first, but gently caress going back to flash Isaac is rough.

I'm fairly confident that the eternal update made the frame drops much worse than they used to be.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I think the reason people remember vanilla Isaac being faster isn't the mechanics so much as the enemy and room design. Wrath of the Lamb and then later on Rebirth introduced a lot of tanky enemies on the early floors, and now you can run into big rooms or Curse of the Labyrinth as well. Plus, Hard mode increases the number of champion spawns, further boosting enemy tankiness. All that combined means the early game can take a lot of time if you don't find a DPS upgrade.

On a somewhat related note, gently caress the Mulligans in the Flooded Caves who spawn maggots. It's a huge pain to kill a room full of those if you have low damage.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hey don't use the forget-me-now on the chest after you've opened the megasatan door on the last run you need to unlock mega during a lost run because the door shuts itself again :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Samuel Clemens posted:

On a somewhat related note, gently caress the Mulligans in the Flooded Caves who spawn maggots. It's a huge pain to kill a room full of those if you have low damage.

If you run into that small room with four of them in the corners without damage you may as well restart.