Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Swan Song is super fun, you should skill it up because dang it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In what world am I using Grinder and still falling enough to justify Swan Song

the point of swan song on grinder isn't for anything but coupling with aced inspire to get teammates out of situations. lol @ not using aced inspire and swan song to get teammates out of the shittiest of situations when they gently caress up since you don't need many survival skills with grinder to begin with. what else are you going to even take beyond the basic essentials and inspire for grinder anyways that are gonna make a difference when your team is wiping

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
For Death Vox Birth of Sky, how would folks feel about:

1. Gold pallets instead of money pallets?

and/or

2. Additional loot in the Murkywater containers on the plane, which you have to throw out the door before you jump?

I'm trying to come up with ways to add more loot variety and more variable activities to the heist.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Imagine thinking Swan Song is a bad skill. Imagine sharing the same opinion of that skill as Reddit.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Regenerating health is just absurdly useful. Health used to be a coveted resource, and it's no wonder DW used to be considered incredibly difficult: after one down, you were basically resigned to playing at 10% health until you needed to hit the medic bag. Between FAKs, Muscle, Grinder, and Gambler, though, health is basically the new armor. For Rogues, using health as armor and topping off with FAKs makes sense, but the continued influx of ways to regenerate your health without expending resources has probably really heavily tipped the balance.

That was back when speccing into Aced Berserker actually made sense, since you were already being pushed into that range anyway and having to ration doctor bags meant you might as well increase your damage output. It also forced you to learn how to move around maps smartly. The introduction of FAKs alone made health management way easier, and then Gambler came along. Everything else since is just tipping the scales way in our favour.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 8, 2015

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Anyone have the link to the goon-created mod that gives Overkill difficulty the Deathwish spawns but not the increased enemy health?

*edit* found it!

Basticle fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 8, 2015

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

As is, I don't really go down on maps much anymore, and my regular group is a bunch of kill-happy mongos to the point where any time one of us has had Swan Song activated, it mostly just results in someone just kind of looking for enemies and being shouted back up again. I wouldn't call Swan Song a bad skill, it's certainly a useful one if you're pubbing, but I'd hesitate to call it a necessity if you're going up the Fugie tree unless it suits your playstyle.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Skunkrocker posted:

Didn't someone come up with a build based around Swan Song Aced that let you keep your infinite ammo going as long as you were clicking cops?

I thought you just went down in front of a bunch of tasers and then just never killed the tasers?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm trying to come up with ways to add more loot variety and more variable activities to the heist.

Have one of the pallets be full of antique samurai stuff, and it falls into a martial arts replica store (replaces diner).

Instead of a sewer escape via RHIB, have players drive a HMMWV that was stowed on the plane while being chased by FBI minigun SUVs.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

For Death Vox Birth of Sky, how would folks feel about :

1. Gold pallets instead of money pallets?

Remove pallets. Replace with cargo containers of mystery loot.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Goredema posted:

Good points. I'll have to keep Low Blow aced or else I don't have the points to unlock the top tier, and for some weird reason Trigger Happy doesn't apply to Akimbo.

And sacrifice what in its place? I played with Swan Song last go around, and it never felt as incredible as everyone seems to advertise. For the same 12 points I could ace Uppers, have a billion first aid kits, and not have to Swan Song all the time in the first place.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying Grinder right now. The ability to regen Armor and Health feels really good.

EDIT: In an attempt to not be THAT INTERNET GUY, I'll give the following build a try. And yes, I included Swan Song. :rolleyes:

Aced swan song is like aced inspire. If you're doing really well, you never realize how good it is, but when poo poo goes down, boy howdy does it's value show.

Also, what DLC do you have? Akimbo has always felt like a gimmick to me, especially with the new pistol changes, because the secondary heavy pistols (like the deagle/baby eagle) are tremendously good.
http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mSomHiJEFGbcDa:eDa:ghECda:fqroKMJEGCda:iba:pr8N8::w84-1:s18-20-32-34-12-39-8:a1 (requires the Wild west dlc)
or
http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mSomHiJEFGbcDa:eDa:ghECda:fqroKMJEGCda:iba:pr8N8::w93-1:s18-14-32-34-12-39-8:a1 (requires the Medieval Pack DLC)

Are really good cop killing dodge/grinder builds. Again, these builds don't use akimbo, but they do have a way to kill shields on the regular, which is always nice.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I made a tutorial video for an unusual FWB stealth strategy, I hope you like it!

Tempest_56 posted:

Remove pallets. Replace with cargo containers of mystery loot.

While that seems appealing at first glance, there are some issues- aside from implementation difficulty, cargo containers offer a lot more cover from enemy fire, and would make the heist generally easier. I'm also trying to limit the variance caused by different dropped loot locations as much as possible.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 8, 2015

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I haven't played this game in months and am a bit behind on keeping up with the latest DLC. Is there any DLC released since June that's considered absolutely essential? I had a build focussed on the rattlesnake + shotgun, I'd probably go for something similar again.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Stick Insect posted:

I haven't played this game in months and am a bit behind on keeping up with the latest DLC. Is there any DLC released since June that's considered absolutely essential? I had a build focussed on the rattlesnake + shotgun, I'd probably go for something similar again.

You've missed five DLCs.

Sokol Pack - new character/gun, most importantly has the Grinder deck, which is super awesome and gives you health for shooting cops. Very nice as Grinder is a unique playstyle and crazy powerful.
Ninja Pack - A semi-auto sniper, the pistol crossbow (with explosive bolts), and poisoned shuriken throwables. Can be fun but not must-have.
Yakuza Pack - New gun (that is bad), the katana (which is probably the best high damage melee weapon right now) and Jiro (who is an old man who talks only in Japanese). Your mileage may vary.
Chivalry Pack - Crossbows, longbow, axes and swords. Generally skippable.
Point Break Heists - Just came out. Two pretty cool heists and a nice pistol.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Aha. ha. ha ha ha.

The prototype you steal? It's got another HL3confirmed barcode on it, but what's more, Locke tells you, to the mile, how far away the lab was that you stole it from. 238, 606 miles. Portal 3 confirmed.

The masterpiece you steal (previously owned by a south american dictator) has a nazi UFO emitting lightning to some sort of vajra-esque rod, held by Moses. :psyduck:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I actually think Ex-Presidents is better than I originally thought. I agree that it is not as good as Grinder, especially as far as ease of use goes, and it is vulnerable on DW after getting downed. However, I think it holds a substantial amount of potential for people willing to learn how to play it.

The main hangup is definitely how you lose your whole health battery to heal any amount of damage. I think this mechanic actually ends up nudging you to play the perk deck the "right" way, though. When you lose your armor, you shouldn't duck back into cover immediately. Stand out in the fire and soak up damage that is about equal to the size of your battery, and kill as many cops as you can in that time. Why? Well, because health regeneration is tied to armor regeneration, and killing cops makes your armor regenerate faster, if you kill enough cops after your armor breaks, you will regenerate all your health and armor practically instantly the moment you step into cover. That's fairly impressive, I think.

Consider also that you can achieve pretty respectable dodge values in an LBV while doing this. I think a gimmick FugiTech might be an interesting approach to the perk deck.

This is in line with what I found after messing around with it. It's really hard to decouple from the "take cover as soon as you hear the armor break sound" mindset and it's hard to leverage that on DW since just about anything will shred your health quickly. But if you can keep a good rhythm, you're constantly bouncing back from half health to full like you have infinite FAKs.

Plan Z posted:

As is, I don't really go down on maps much anymore, and my regular group is a bunch of kill-happy mongos to the point where any time one of us has had Swan Song activated, it mostly just results in someone just kind of looking for enemies and being shouted back up again. I wouldn't call Swan Song a bad skill, it's certainly a useful one if you're pubbing, but I'd hesitate to call it a necessity if you're going up the Fugie tree unless it suits your playstyle.

Yeah, I'm in the same camp. I'm far and away more likely to get downed by Cloakers than anything else (I wish I could fit Counter-Strike into more builds) and even when I do proc Swan Song, I rarely get a chance to room clear with it and usually just use it to crawl closer to the team, which half the time isn't vital anyway because everyone takes Inspire (except for me).

Stick Insect posted:

In part thanks to the big rebalance, all of the recent DLC boils down to good-but-not-essential. Golden Grin comes with the Cavity, a high concealment heavy rifle, and the Buzzer, which is a fun melee weapon. Sokol comes with a fantastic perk deck, but these days you're spoiled for choice when it comes to those. The Ninja pack got hit pretty hard by the rebalance and is simply okay. I think Jiro's melee weapon is still technically the best in the game? Chivalry pack's only real popular element is explosive crossbows, which are only a big deal on DW anyway.

Be prepared to weather the inevitable storm of goons mocking you for using the fastest firing and best sniper rifle, but know that I am your friend and comrade through these trying times.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Micro Uzi is pretty good now. All it needed before was just way more spare ammo, which it has in spades. The damage normalization pushing it closer to 39.9 was just a bonus.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

I think Jiro's melee weapon is still technically the best in the game?

The ice pick out of the point break heists is exactly the same (same swing, damage, charge, knockdown, etc), minus 25 points of range, BUT +3 points of concealment. The finest hanzo steel is 27 conceal, and the ice pick is 30.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Drewjitsu posted:

The ice pick out of the point break heists is exactly the same (same swing, damage, charge, knockdown, etc), minus 25 points of range, BUT +3 points of concealment. The finest hanzo steel is 27 conceal, and the ice pick is 30.

Its just a matter of taste whether you want to behead cloakers in honorable combat or if you want to kill cops like Trotsky. One is somehow more stealthy than the other.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Aha. ha. ha ha ha.

The prototype you steal? It's got another HL3confirmed barcode on it, but what's more, Locke tells you, to the mile, how far away the lab was that you stole it from. 238, 606 miles. Portal 3 confirmed.

The masterpiece you steal (previously owned by a south american dictator) has a nazi UFO emitting lightning to some sort of vajra-esque rod, held by Moses. :psyduck:

Finally, we're getting laser moon guns.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In what world am I using Grinder and still falling enough to justify Swan Song

The world where PSA: Grinder best represents my overall gameplay experience. :/

Long ago, before the Fugitive tree was added, I used to run Pistol Messiah along with Inspire Ace for a similar reasoning people now take Swan Song: to prevent a wipe when the entire team goes down. The skill became useless once Cloakers were added, as those are by far and away the number one cause of me getting downed. Being tazed down is a distant second, and Pistol Messiah won''t trigger for those instances. Neither does Swan Song. So much as I love infinite ammo on the HE Judge, unless you extensively play on Death Wish Swan Song Ace is 12 skill points that you're rarely ever going to actually see use out of aside from the occasional sniper or Bulldozer.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Its just a matter of taste whether you want to behead cloakers in honorable combat or if you want to kill cops like Trotsky. One is somehow more stealthy than the other.

It kills me inside that my gorgeous blood-splattered chef's knife (thanks Goonmod!) has worse concealment than a loving ice axe! :argh:

EDIT: Jumping back to the topic of Fugimind builds... If I'm going to take Grinder anyway, could it be viable to just skip Dodge entirely? Here's a build I slapped together that skips the 10% dodge from Sneaky Bastard, and instead aces Low Blow. A Light Ballistic Vest + Thick Skin aced = 50 armor, 15 of which regens every 2 seconds due to Bullseye. In addition, having Low Blow aced means that the cut-off for detection risk is 25, which means there are a ton of weapons you can bring along if you feel like some variety, including some high-damage stuff that can't quite squeeze in to the normal Low Blow / Sneaky Bastard build.

Is the trade-off worth it? No dodge at all, but extra armor and more weapon variety? I doubt I'll try it out right now, but thought it might be an interesting thought exercise.

Goredema fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 8, 2015

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Excuse the likely dumb question but I'm phone browsing on lovely internet so it's making life difficult.

Infamy, am I missing something? You reset at level 100 and get perks like increased exp gain and vanity items/lobby animations but is there something else you get also? Not overly fussed about the items and perks if it's just get to level 100 faster each time with the exp perks.

I'm sure there's something else cool that makes it worth while but it's taking ages to load anything but a forum.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Infamy 2-5 reduce the amount of points you have to spend in each of the four original skill trees to unlock each tier, otherwise it's just so you can have a bigger number and feel better compared to other people.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So by infamy 5 I can have more skill points spread out over various trees?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tai posted:

No, but you can get higher up some trees without wasting as many points on crummy skills further down the tree.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Tai posted:

It makes the tier 6 unlock go from 40 points to 36 which means you you can ace a tier 6 skill in one tree, basic a tier 6 in another, and still have ~20 points for flexibility/quality of life in other trees

Aka Inspire ace, ICTV basic, and movespeed in ghost/fugitive. You can do that before infamy 5 but its a little more clunky because of the additional points you need to pump into enforcer/mastermind

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Elliotw2 posted:

Infamy 2-5 reduce the amount of points you have to spend in each of the four original skill trees to unlock each tier, otherwise it's just so you can have a bigger number and feel better compared to other people.

From Infamy 2 upwards you also automatically get the tier unlock discount for Fugitive.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Some of the infamy masks and materials are quite good but if you don't give a poo poo about that then there's no reason to go past infamy 5. If you want to get all the masks you can do it by infamy 17. Infamy 25 is for people like myself who just loooove Jewelry Store.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

It took me way too long to figure out you can just drive the truck all the way into the train yard on Aftershock and thus skip 1/2-2/3 of the safe-lugging entirely.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dr Cheeto posted:

Some of the infamy masks and materials are quite good but if you don't give a poo poo about that then there's no reason to go past infamy 5. If you want to get all the masks you can do it by infamy 17. Infamy 25 is for people like myself who just loooove Jewelry Store.

Your post-infamy rotation includes that?

By late teens infamies, you can get to 40ish by doing two Deathwish Mallcrashers at the start, 50ish by following with two DW Shadow Raids, and then 60+ with one good Overkill Rats.

chairface posted:

It took me way too long to figure out you can just drive the truck all the way into the train yard on Aftershock and thus skip 1/2-2/3 of the safe-lugging entirely.

Just lug them to the wall. You're not making any use of the time waiting for C4 anyway. Then you drive the truck up 10 feet, load it up, back it in.

And for some reason lately this has had the effect of making Bile show up for evac almost instantaneously (unless everyone's getting that.)

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Your post-infamy rotation includes that?

By late teens infamies, you can get to 40ish by doing two Deathwish Mallcrashers at the start, 50ish by following with two DW Shadow Raids, and then 60+ with one good Overkill Rats.

Where were you three months ago???

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Just lug them to the wall. You're not making any use of the time waiting for C4 anyway. Then you drive the truck up 10 feet, load it up, back it in.

And for some reason lately this has had the effect of making Bile show up for evac almost instantaneously (unless everyone's getting that.)

I really see no reason to lug em to the wall and expose myself to rappeling cops coming off the overpass the entire time when I could be hanging out in a fairly well-protected subway car. :colbert: Besides, with your methodology there's no driving the truck back through that squashing cops both ways. I'll stick with the methodology that involves more running cops over with a truck and less safe-lugging.

And yeah, since the first day Bile's seemed to show up in a minute or less once the flare's lit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That's a general map change to deal with the yard holdout/escape jankfest. Thanks to its removal, aftershock is now the moneygrind hotspot du jour, at about a million dollars a minute for a good team on overkill.

chairface posted:

I really see no reason to lug em to the wall and expose myself to rappeling cops coming off the overpass the entire time when I could be hanging out in a fairly well-protected subway car. :colbert: Besides, with your methodology there's no driving the truck back through that squashing cops both ways. I'll stick with the methodology that involves more running cops over with a truck and less safe-lugging.

Moving the safes all the way is a much better option- the rappelling cops along the causeway leading to the wall are set to a much lower spawnrate until the C4 arrives. The intensity of spawns generally appears to pick up once the wall is blown.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 8, 2015

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dr Cheeto posted:

Where were you three months ago???

On break from Payday like everyone

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

If they ever add another difficully they should just make it exactly the same as Deathwish (becaus3 honestly how can they add more cops) but make it disable your perk deck.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Basticle posted:

If they ever add another difficully they should just make it exactly the same as Deathwish (becaus3 honestly how can they add more cops) but make it disable your perk deck.

look at this guy who's never played National Guard Response

John Murdoch posted:

and the Buzzer, which is a fun melee weapon.

buzzer's a little more than fun giving that you can (usually, this is Overkill after all) interrupt a cloaker charge with it. Once you get used to how to tap a cloaker about to jumpkick you, you'll never go back.

For a non-stealth heist and a non-melee build there is literally no better option.

I mean, unless you enjoy poking cops with your ... flagstaff. In which case, go for it. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 8, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The peacemaker would be the best pistol if it reloaded faster. :shepface:

Just let me toss away the empty and draw an entirely new gun overkill. :tfrxmas:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Coming back to this after a while, is there a mod to change the iron sights zoom back to the pre crimefest way and is HUDList completely hosed or do I need to keep fiddling with it?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Klaus88 posted:

The peacemaker would be the best pistol if it reloaded faster. :shepface:

Just let me toss away the empty and draw an entirely new gun overkill. :tfrxmas:

The Bronco would be the best if it had a laser grip and the Mateba would be better if it had +2/+3 concealment. But this is Overkill hating fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Psion posted:

look at this guy who's never played National Guard Response

buzzer's a little more than fun giving that you can (usually, this is Overkill after all) interrupt a cloaker charge with it. Once you get used to how to tap a cloaker about to jumpkick you, you'll never go back.

For a non-stealth heist and a non-melee build there is literally no better option.

I mean, unless you enjoy poking cops with your ... flagstaff. In which case, go for it. :v:

National guard breaks the spawns and cops get stuck in doorways off map. My point stands.