Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Kharmakazy posted:

what happens in those missions if you don't take the dog?

You got the scent Piper? Good girl

nick knows of a dog that can help! dogmeat! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Dogmeat is cool and I'd keep him around if I could set his aggression threshold

Another good New Vegas gameplay thing, completely ignored for this game

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The companion relationship stuff is kind of hamstrung by the fact that as soon as you max out their affection you're kind of incentivized to ditch them for another companion so you can work on maxing their affection.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

muscles like this? posted:

The companion relationship stuff is kind of hamstrung by the fact that as soon as you max out their affection you're kind of incentivized to ditch them for another companion so you can work on maxing their affection.

I agree, but if you're doing this as kind of a min/maxing thing there are a lot of ways to cheese affection for most of the companions, so you can kind of do this for all of them and then just stick with the one(s) whose company you enjoy more. But... I hate doing stuff like that, even though I want to have all the perks (including ones that will never be useful to the way I'm playing). It also involves shooting a dog in the head a lot which I'm not a huge fan of.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dogmeat is the only companion that deserves my affection. The rest can gently caress off and grow crops.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Dogmeat is the only companion that deserves my affection. The rest can gently caress off and grow crops.
drat shame that Dogmeat doesn't provide a perk, besides being the best dog ever, of course.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

What you don't think constantly getting in your way or charging blithely into danger before you are drat well ready is enough of a perk?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sylphosaurus posted:

drat shame that Dogmeat doesn't provide a perk, besides being the best dog ever, of course.

Dogmeat has perks built in already that you can use level up points to get.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sylphosaurus posted:

He lets you pick Lone Wanderer though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Most of the perks are garbage other than the 2000% headshot accuracy and the DR/damage perk Preston gives you. I like Deacons perk because I am basically playing a full sneak silenced pistol run but his is really specialized.

Curie's perk is so bad :I

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

Most of the perks are garbage other than the 2000% headshot accuracy and the DR/damage perk Preston gives you. I like Deacons perk because I am basically playing a full sneak silenced pistol run but his is really specialized.

Curie's perk is so bad :I

Balances out the fact that she is the best waifu.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sylphosaurus posted:

His perk is being able to use the lone wanderer perks with him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nick gives you an extra attempt at hacking.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Nick gives you an extra attempt at hacking.

So does quickloading

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Krowley posted:

So does quickloading

:airquote:quick:airquote: loading.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I mean, you can just back out of the terminal.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

I mean, you can just back out of the terminal.

There are so many perks and bonuses that are just pointless after a while. Stuff like not gaining rads from eating food or drinking water doesn't matter since you're flooded with tons of RadAway and RadX through most of the game and you don't really suffer any real problems as far as I can tell beyond lower max HP anyway. Damage resistance is also mostly useless since if you ever run into enemies that deal tons of damage you can just hop over to your power armor. Healing from sunlight might seem nice, but I've got something like 80+ stimpacks lying around, why would I bother? Luck perks, beyond the regular sneaking, crafting and damage perks, seem to be the only ones with some real proper use (unless you've decided to make settlements).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Dogmeat perks:

1) Getting in your way constantly when you're trying to do poo poo
2) Conversely, getting loving lost, I'm constantly saying "where's that loving dog" when trying to arm settlers because he carries like a shitton of crappy leathers and raider gear that I just throw on settlers because it's not worth selling that poo poo
3) Being a loving idiot and when you're hiding in a corner running out to greet the enemy you just entered "caution" mode on.

That being said dogmeat owns. I briefly used Codsworth as a companion to Greygarden because I thought there might have been special dialogue for him. Of course, there wasn't. I keep him there now and he just sadly sits behind the greenhouse doing nothing.

evilmiera posted:

There are so many perks and bonuses that are just pointless after a while. Stuff like not gaining rads from eating food or drinking water doesn't matter since you're flooded with tons of RadAway and RadX through most of the game and you don't really suffer any real problems as far as I can tell beyond lower max HP anyway. Damage resistance is also mostly useless since if you ever run into enemies that deal tons of damage you can just hop over to your power armor. Healing from sunlight might seem nice, but I've got something like 80+ stimpacks lying around, why would I bother? Luck perks, beyond the regular sneaking, crafting and damage perks, seem to be the only ones with some real proper use (unless you've decided to make settlements).

Yeah, I invested a point into the perk that makes radiation regenerate you and it was the worst point I spent. Earlier on, I was really feeling like I was going to have to invest heavy into lead belly but now I just cook loving everything and oh look no more rads. Aquaboy was totally worth it though.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Also what is the game trying to tell me when there's a ! mark by a settlement but none of their resources are marked? I don't get it.

I should probably actually play the game sometime soon. I just wander around helping settlements and occasionally clearing out a building. If Preston asks me to take on the Castle one more loving time....

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sylphosaurus posted:

His perk is that you can use him with the Lone Wanderer perk without penalty.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

evilmiera posted:

The radiation stuff might not seem like much, until you run into a posse of Children of Atom all armed with Gamma Guns that hit for 50 rads each.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So maybe it was missed before, or maybe I just missed the answer - do you need to give settlers ammo when you give them a gun? I've been arming them with institute rifles and a single power cell assuming the game just runs a check to see if they have ammo.

Speaking of, the second dog I bought appears to have died to a raider attack of super mutants. :smith:

The radiation stuff might not seem like much, until you run into a posse of Children of Atom all armed with Gamma Guns that hit for 50 rads each.

:monocle:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I already did. I popped a RadX and a few Rad-Aways and killed them all easy. Then I had no use for that for several ingame days.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Hazmat suit is made for fighting those guys.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah Rad-X is all fine and dandy until they start hucking nuke grenades at you. I know that's not relevant to the rad resistance discussion but seriously holy poo poo that was a thing.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

JetsGuy posted:

So maybe it was missed before, or maybe I just missed the answer - do you need to give settlers ammo when you give them a gun? I've been arming them with institute rifles and a single power cell assuming the game just runs a check to see if they have ammo.

Seconded. I've also got a full-on rank system running in my settlements so I need to make totally sure of this, because each settlement has a Captain of the Guard with a Missile Launcher, and a Sheriff who has the heaviest weapon available at that settlement (that isn't a missile launcher). I once ran into a Captain who didn't have any missiles on her, which I found weird but wasn't sure if I'd given her missiles before, so I gave her a few. Sheriffs have been getting Miniguns and whatnot.

Will settlers use the specialty heavy weapons? i.e. Rail rifle, etc., but especially the Junk Jet. I wanna equip a Sheriff with the Junk Jet and just give them, like, a few bowling balls to shoot forever.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Entropic posted:

His perk is that you can use him with the Lone Wanderer perk without penalty.

That's a bug.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If you guys think Dogmeat is bad about getting in the way, then clearly you haven't rolled with Codsworth.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Seconded. I've also got a full-on rank system running in my settlements so I need to make totally sure of this, because each settlement has a Captain of the Guard with a Missile Launcher, and a Sheriff who has the heaviest weapon available at that settlement (that isn't a missile launcher). I once ran into a Captain who didn't have any missiles on her, which I found weird but wasn't sure if I'd given her missiles before, so I gave her a few. Sheriffs have been getting Miniguns and whatnot.

Will settlers use the specialty heavy weapons? i.e. Rail rifle, etc., but especially the Junk Jet. I wanna equip a Sheriff with the Junk Jet and just give them, like, a few bowling balls to shoot forever.

Yes, I have Sheffield all patrioted up using the Broadsider.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

With normal firearms and energy guns you only need to give one round and they will shoot that forever, but heavy weapons like missile launchers they do use up ammo with. Not sure about the Junk Jet and other gimmick guns, but I would assume they fall with the latter.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nordick posted:

With normal firearms and energy guns you only need to give one round and they will shoot that forever, but heavy weapons like missile launchers they do use up ammo with. Not sure about the Junk Jet and other gimmick guns, but I would assume they fall with the latter.

awwwwwwwwwwww loving BOO that's bullshit

Welp, guess it's time for the General and Quartermaster Major of the Minutemen to realign officer standard-issue armament in light of this new information.

Ugh.

edit: on the other hand, free scrap I guess.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

awwwwwwwwwwww loving BOO that's bullshit

Welp, guess it's time for the General and Quartermaster Major of the Minutemen to realign officer standard-issue armament in light of this new information.

Melee weapons don't use ammo. Just sayin'

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

VulgarandStupid posted:

If you guys think Dogmeat is bad about getting in the way, then clearly you haven't rolled with Codsworth.

codsworth is better imo. he's pretty tanky, and his buzzsaw will gently caress people up. he's probably the best character to take along when you're low level and reluctant to spend too much ammo. outside of a car going nuclear i generally don't have to worry about him outside of really hairy situations.

dogmeat has some kind of dog ai that has him running directly ahead of you rather than following behind. it's fun to watch him drag someone down to the ground and rip their throat out but god is he a dumb dog that gets taken down too often.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It is standard for guards in Minutemen Sans Frontieres to be expected to be able to gun down a deathclaw with an unmodded pipe pistol and only road leathers for protection.

The guard of the Sunshine Tidings Work Camp Scrap Procurement Farm is allowed a plasma rifle, however.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Gravy Jones posted:

Melee weapons don't use ammo. Just sayin'

drat right they don't. I think it's time for settlement leadership to align with the Minutemen General and start training in the Tao of Punch.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This Deacon guy is really getting out of hand.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Obviously he had Tinker Tom burn his fingerprints off. Just got a little overenthusiastic is all.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This game makes a really good job of making every single one of the factions seem like assholes or idiots.

I dont really want to side with any of them.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Really? I always liked the Railroad guys, surely they're suspicious at the start but that's understandable considering their situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Paul Zuvella posted:

This game makes a really good job of making every single one of the factions seem like assholes or idiots.

I dont really want to side with any of them.

Yeah Jesus Christ, I ran into the Brotherhood last night and I immediately hated them. I googled for like 20 minutes to see if I could safely take rear end in a top hat's stupid mission before I said yes. Like he doesn't even try to hide his true intentions. WE BELIEVE IN RESPONSIBLE USE OF TECHNOLOGY. RESPONSIBLE MEANS WE USE IT AND NOT YOU.

But I also want his power armor even though I don't really use power armor.

Also I cannot wait to get something better than bladed knuckles for my punchman. It's shocking how much fun just punching everything is.

Though if I play this game again, I'm definitely going with lone sniper rogue lady. Seems like it would have been a fun pick too.

• Locked thread