Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Teflon Don posted:

It's pretty clear the government has not been able to change their policies fast enough to deal with the changing strategies of terrorists.

As evidenced by...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The Onion does it again:

http://www.theonion.com/article/will-be-end-trumps-campaign-says-increasingly-nerv-52002

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Teflon Don posted:

It's pretty clear the government has not been able to change their policies fast enough to deal with the changing strategies of terrorists.

Are you going to ignore the wildly successful U.S. led military campaign against ISIS? http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-12-03/u-s-targets-islamic-state-s-baghdadi-as-special-forces-gear-up

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

As evidenced by...

The ability for terrorists in other countries to connect with citizens and radicalize them, as seen in France and California.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Teflon Don posted:

The ability for terrorists in other countries to connect with citizens and radicalize them, as seen in France and California.

I don't think you can really compare what was going on in Belgium (where the attackers were from) with what happened in California. But that does not really indicate a "wide-spread failure" by the intelligence communities writ large to adapt.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Teflon Don posted:

I hear Putin and Obama are gonna each pilot a drone and bomb the gently caress out of isil targets. Then bro five.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Teflon Don posted:

*checks scoreboard*

US: like 6000 isis
Isis: like 15 americans and another 100 frenchies.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Radbot posted:

Do we have any evidence that this surveillance is effective, or that it does indeed need to be done to "run a nation of this size"?

It's really good after the fact at identifying the networks that terrorists used. It's pretty bad at prevention.
All in all it's a joke because it's like trying to find needles through the mass acquisition of haystacks.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

It's really good after the fact at identifying the networks that terrorists used. It's pretty bad at prevention.
All in all it's a joke because it's like trying to find needles through the mass acquisition of haystacks.

Especially if it's like the dude in California who decided the ISIS facebook page was good and his coworkers were dicks.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Bip Roberts posted:

*checks scoreboard*

Yes and it's only cost us hundreds of millions of dollars to blow up some brown retards in the desert! We're winning terrorism!!!!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

:lol: if you think acting as the SDF's airforce and sending in SAD/SOG or special forces guys is anywhere near enough to categorically defeat ISIL and eliminate the threat that radical islamist beliefs pose to the west and liberal democracy.

I'm not advocating we send in ground troops by any means. But let's be realistic: we're playing Whack A Mole here and not much more.

Which is all fine and good. The more members of ISIL we kill the better, but let's not pretend we're doing "winning" the war on terror by any means.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

THE BOMBINATRIX posted:

Yes and it's only cost us hundreds of millions of dollars to blow up some brown retards in the desert! We're winning terrorism!!!!

Hahaha you loving suck.

Better than trillions to blow up and kill hundreds of thousands who didn't deserve it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Teflon Don posted:

If you nuke Daesh anyone abroad with sympathies will lash out and get themselves killed - how is that for a strategy?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

THE BOMBINATRIX posted:

I forgot, we also totally gunned down the ISIS couple in the street, which was pretty rad.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Teflon Don posted:

this is a far more significant problem with right wing white supremacists and the like, except we pretend it isnt because first amendment

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

How much have we spent on bombing and shooting Afghanis, Iraqis, etc. and what sort of infrastructure improvements (education, power, whatever) could we have made in the same areas for that price?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

:lol: if you think acting as the SDF's airforce and sending in SAD/SOG or special forces guys is anywhere near enough to categorically defeat ISIL and eliminate the threat that radical islamist beliefs pose to the west and liberal democracy.

I'm not advocating we send in ground troops by any means. But let's be realistic: we're playing Whack A Mole here and not much more.

Which is all fine and good. The more members of ISIL we kill the better, but let's not pretend we're doing "winning" the war on terror by any means.

What exactly is the threat ISIS poses to liberal democracy.

Are they going to...what...send a few hundred thousand soldiers over here to occupy half a continent of 330 million people and convert us to their weird-rear end branc of Sunni Islam by the sword?

Are they even going to exceed the American body count we inflicted on ourselves in a decade of pointles ground wars?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Bip Roberts posted:

*checks scoreboard*

They don't have to kill a lot of people, they just have to inspire fear and make the administration take action, which so far they have accomplished quite well. This "no fly list" thing is a complete farce and shows how weak they are in this area.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Iron Rose posted:

Bu...bu...but "Mission Accomplished" :ohdear:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning,

"Donald Trump is standing on the platform of hate. And I’m sorry to say that it’s a platform that the Republican Party built for him. Last week I came to the floor and said that that Republican Party is running on a platform of hate. Yesterday, Donald Trump provided the strongest evidence yet that this is true. Trump’s proposal to bar Muslims from entering this country is hateful, despicable and vile.

We are a country founded on religious liberty, not a country that imposes religious tests. Trump’s statement is a slap in the face to the millions of peace-loving Muslims living here and to those who want to travel and live here. We welcome them all, and to them I say: Donald Trump is not America. Sadly, however, Donald Trump is the Republican Party.

Because it’s not just Trump. Many of the leading candidates for the Republican nomination have said hateful things. Especially about Muslims. Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz proposed religious tests for refugees. You can’t condemn Trump when you want to impose a religious test on women and children fleeing death and persecution. Ben Carson has called Muslims “rabid dogs.” Chris Christie has said they should be tracked.

Today, Donald Trump offered the only true statement he’s made in some time. Referring to some of his fellow Republican presidential candidates: “They have been condemning almost everything I say and then they come to my side.” That is disturbing, but true. Republican candidates condemn Trump’s remarks, and then adopt his racist policies as their own.

Let’s not fool ourselves. This sort of racism has been prevalent in Republican politics for decades. Trump is just saying out loud what other Republicans merely suggest. Political leaders must condemn these hateful, un-American statements with their words and their actions. Silence only empowers the bigots."

~ Harry Reid

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Teflon Don posted:

They don't have to kill a lot of people, they just have to inspire fear and make the administration take action, which so far they have accomplished quite well. This "no fly list" thing is a complete farce and shows how weak they are in this area.

I'm confused what action the administration is taking because their hand was forced by ISIS.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

What exactly is the threat ISIS poses to liberal democracy.

Are they going to...what...send a few hundred thousand soldiers over here to occupy half a continent of 330 million people and convert us to their weird-rear end branc of Sunni Islam by the sword?

Obviously, duh.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Teflon Don posted:

How do you let one shooting shake you to your core? 540% more people die every day from car accidents than died in that shooting.

It's better for the US to not become debilitated in light of small terrorist attacks. I'd rather policy not be dictated by a couple wack-jobs.

If you look at the facts ISIS is in very bad shape and we should stay the course.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hahaha you loving suck.

Better than trillions to blow up and kill hundreds of thousands who didn't deserve it.

What are you even taking about? Are you assuming I was for the Iraq war you dim tool?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

What I am waiting for is how long until one of the bigger names says they won't support Trump if he wins.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning,

"Let’s not fool ourselves. This sort of racism has been prevalent in Republican politics for decades. Trump is just saying out loud what other Republicans merely suggest. Political leaders must condemn these hateful, un-American statements with their words and their actions. Silence only empowers the bigots."

~ Harry Reid

:chanpop:

Oh Reid, you are a piece of work.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning,

"Donald Trump is standing on the platform of hate. And I’m sorry to say that it’s a platform that the Republican Party built for him. Last week I came to the floor and said that that Republican Party is running on a platform of hate. Yesterday, Donald Trump provided the strongest evidence yet that this is true. Trump’s proposal to bar Muslims from entering this country is hateful, despicable and vile.

We are a country founded on religious liberty, not a country that imposes religious tests. Trump’s statement is a slap in the face to the millions of peace-loving Muslims living here and to those who want to travel and live here. We welcome them all, and to them I say: Donald Trump is not America. Sadly, however, Donald Trump is the Republican Party.

Because it’s not just Trump. Many of the leading candidates for the Republican nomination have said hateful things. Especially about Muslims. Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz proposed religious tests for refugees. You can’t condemn Trump when you want to impose a religious test on women and children fleeing death and persecution. Ben Carson has called Muslims “rabid dogs.” Chris Christie has said they should be tracked.

Today, Donald Trump offered the only true statement he’s made in some time. Referring to some of his fellow Republican presidential candidates: “They have been condemning almost everything I say and then they come to my side.” That is disturbing, but true. Republican candidates condemn Trump’s remarks, and then adopt his racist policies as their own.

Let’s not fool ourselves. This sort of racism has been prevalent in Republican politics for decades. Trump is just saying out loud what other Republicans merely suggest. Political leaders must condemn these hateful, un-American statements with their words and their actions. Silence only empowers the bigots."

~ Harry Reid

:drat:

I hope that gets some media attention.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

What I am waiting for is how long until one of the bigger names says they won't support Trump if he wins.

And risk Trump calling them a bozo on twitter :ohdear:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Like just how insecure are you guys that you think we need to literally need to round up every Muslim in this country and enact a religious test before we let them in? Like jesus mother of god you people are cowards.

zoux posted:

Historically speaking, it was caused the rift within the Democratic party, re: George Wallace

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cruz and Abbott are giving a presser in DC about Syrian refugees that I should be watching but there's only so much ignorant bigotry I can stand. Anyway:

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!
John Fetterman chimes in:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like just how insecure are you guys that you think we need to literally need to round up every Muslim in this country and enact a religious test before we let them in? Like jesus mother of god you people are cowards.

ISIS is so crafty that it's impossible for a two-year investigation to vet refugees, but they'll never think to lie if we ask them what religion they are.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Well, I mean George Wallace etc

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mitt Romney posted:

How do you let one shooting shake you to your core? 540% more people die every day from car accidents than died in that

Except I never said that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

ISIS is so crafty that it's impossible for a two-year investigation to vet refugees, but they'll never think to lie if we ask them what religion they are.

"We'll just know" - Jeb Bush

I kept waiting for Bush to suggest checking for moles and dunking them in the river until drowned. Then again, they made it the US, so obviously they floated and are witchesMuslims.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

What''s even more hilarious is you're the same assholes who cling to the Second Amendment.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Edit: nm

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

usbombshell posted:

John Fetterman chimes in:

Who?

And that statement is just about as puriile as what Trump said.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

It's funny watching all the other candidates furiously repudiating and criticizing Trump while no one pays attention to them. The man knows how to dominate a media cycle, which may be the only currency that matters anymore.

A lump of coal, as in she fired 30k people and couldn't handle the pressure required to really shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Mitt Romney posted:

:drat:

I hope that gets some media attention.

Sadly, my fear is that it'll be in the sense of "DEMOCRAT Reid uses Trump's beliefs to attack THE REPUBLICAN PARTY! (That's you!)".

• Locked thread