Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Is the Ramjet Rifle any good? It has 99 upgrades, but nothing to upgrade...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The scale and depth of this game is amazing, but I cannot stand the intense amount of pop-in in NLA, even with the data packs.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Alright Yardley, I won't tell anyone about plastic surgery operation. I hope Commander Vandham won't notice that I'm suddenly a little girl.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

zedprime posted:

If you want to jump off into a dark abyss, it could really be tuned per party you set up because its all about setting up pitches to everybody else. I just split the call outs to balanced based on how useful some of the results are, and then set up your custom triggers based on what your class can do regarding debuffs or the other situational call outs.

Also some item iconography stuff like the resistance icons are oddly not in the manual, but is spelled out in the character status menu.

It looks fun to customize it all but i've no idea where to start. I'll start with balanced and change it according to my party.

Related question: do I always have to go find the person I want to join me or is there a terminal or menu option i'm missing to quick add folks? Story characters that is.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
For the Social circle thing on log-in, I've just been picking Story Mode since I'm just getting a handle on exploring and the game in general, but since we're doing the goon list, is everyone just logging in to the Friends List social circle?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
How are the side quests in this game? Are they better than the original? Skippable?

My issue with the original was that sidequests were boring, obtuse, and necessary to unlocking the other skill trees. I hated sitting there with a FAQ trying to collect random poo poo for random people to unlock new abilities.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got Noctilum to 19% and have hit a wall. Tried to do the quest "A friend in need" and got to the boss of it and when it hit like 10% of it's HP it did something(?) to lower everyone to red if not straight up kill them.

It's super weird, there was no animation or sound just suddenly dead.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Senerio posted:

Is the Ramjet Rifle any good? It has 99 upgrades, but nothing to upgrade...

I used it for a while after I finished Galactic Knight, was running around with photon saber/assault rifle while leveling Striker. I still can't figure out how to use its 99 upgrades, but the fact that you can generate up to 900 TP every 10 seconds just by switching to it and popping off 3 shots sold me on it. Photon saber is all about melee combos so you generally don't need/want ranged arts, and they kind of have trouble generating TP in a hurry to fuel all their auras, so it was a decent fit.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I took on level 28 chicken robot dick enemies when I was level 20, so you can do it, just learn the mechanics, focus fire appedages, don't dump all attacks. You're better off auto attacking and waiting for soul voice chances.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There really should be something in the op about the questline to unlock character editing because it's actually a fairly annoying, if short questline with no indication of its final purpose.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Cannot stress how many questions can be resolved by reading the manual even a bit. It's covers everything fairly well.

How have people been laying out their soul voices? I took one look at the menu and kinda got lost.

It's actually not nearly as complicated as it looks - basically it's just a list of trigger conditions (break a part, attack from above, etc), and then you can set one of a few different soul voice events that fire when that trigger is fulfilled.

I went through and customized them all to fire off buffs/debuffs that would benefit the direction I was progressing in my class skills/arts.

You can focus on melee/ranged damage, inflict stagger or topple, boost overdrive, improve healing, all kinds of stuff.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is it worth getting a wii u for this game?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

shrike82 posted:

Well, there's also Splatoon, Smash, Splatoon, MK8, Splatoon the upcoming Star Fox Zero, Splatoon and a bunch of other games, but if those don't interest you, then I'd say this particular game might not sell you on the console.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

shrike82 posted:

As someone who bought a Wii U for this game (and Hyrule Warriors), the answer is yes.

I got the game early on Sunday. I, at time of writing, have about 32 hours played in XCX. It has completely consumed my life these past few days.

I don't even have my Skell yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Not a Children posted:

The scale and depth of this game is amazing, but I cannot stand the intense amount of pop-in in NLA, even with the data packs.

It's worst upon initially entering the city, since it's a seamless load. I find it usually straightens itself out after a little while.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If you do get a Wii U for this game, I highly recommend the Smash-Splat bundle. They're both great games. Just as a heads up, though, the game is big, even if you just get the loading packs, so I'd recommend purchasing an external Hard Drive as well.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's worth getting a Wii U, and it's worth getting this game. If you're only going to buy one game for Wii U it's probably not worth it but you're a drat fool if that's the case.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

shrike82 posted:

This game has a lot of weird design flaws but it also pushes a lot of good buttons for me. You should check out of the rest of the wii u's library though because it certainly has tons of gems worth looking at

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought the Pima strategy guide just now, the eGuide version is $10. No regrets, this is a very good guide that gets you through the story missions in way that won't requiring searching all over Google or asking in this thread.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Does "debuff res down" (from Astral Crusader's sidewinder and Psy Corrupter's subterfuge) really lower every resistance on the target? The manual says "decrease resistance to all types of attacks". I take that to mean lower electric res, lower physical res, etc. If so that's really good but I'm skeptical since the name makes it sound more like it lowers resistances to debuffs like stun and topple.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 8, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

horriblePencilist posted:

Alright Yardley, I won't tell anyone about plastic surgery operation. I hope Commander Vandham won't notice that I'm suddenly a little girl.

Oh, so that's how you do that? I was wondering where they hid that option in the game.
Also :lol:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

shrike82 posted:

I bought a Wii-U 2 years ago for this game and it was completely worth it. I also bought the new 3ds for new Xenoblade 3d and that was worth it also, even though I'd already beaten it on Wii. I love me some Xenoblade.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Has anyone done the normal mission Emotion Commotion? I can't find the watch in Oblivia for the second part of that quest, or rather I can't find the sub-area "Devil's Colony" where it's supposed to be.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Calaveron posted:

There really should be something in the op about the questline to unlock character editing because it's actually a fairly annoying, if short questline with no indication of its final purpose.

Then write me up something and either PM me or put it in the thread and putting my name in bold or something so I notice it and I'll get around to adding it. I haven't done that quest line yet so I have no idea what you want said about it.

For anyone who wants a specific thing added to the OP

I got the game a little late and still have one more week of school left and I have an essay due which I can't really ignore. So I'm not playing as much as I would like. That means when the thread gets 200 replies I'm not going to read all of them and will skim some things. If you have come across something super important that should be added to the OP. Just PM me or highlight your post in a way that I can easily notice it, and I will add it to the OP if needs to be there. Thanks.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

i've been to almost every hexagon on the Primordia map yet i'm only at 10% explored, what gives?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MinibarMatchman posted:

i've been to almost every hexagon on the Primordia map yet i'm only at 10% explored, what gives?

That's not exploration, that's survey. An area is only surveyed when you complete the thing the icon on it tells you to. Probes are self-explanatory, little lion heads means a Tyrant to kill, sparkles means a treasure to find, piece of paper means a normal quest and the two hands shaking symbol means an affinity quest.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I bought the Pima strategy guide just now, the eGuide version is $10. No regrets, this is a very good guide that gets you through the story missions in way that won't requiring searching all over Google or asking in this thread.

There's also a 25% off coupon active for any of their guides right now, just put in SAVE25 at the checkout

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's not exploration, that's survey. An area is only surveyed when you complete the thing the icon on it tells you to. Probes are self-explanatory, little lion heads means a Tyrant to kill, sparkles means a treasure to find, piece of paper means a normal quest and the two hands shaking symbol means an affinity quest.

oh ok, that explains a lot.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

Explored doesn't mean simply visited, it means completed whatever the task is in the hex - kill tyrant, harvest specific node, complete mission, complete affinity mission, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5GMD_-y6Iw

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

the one thing I've been confused about : Does the affinity quest symbol mean there is a quest icon somewhere in that segment or does that mean an affinity quest just takes place in that segment?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

This game could be waaay less dense and still make out okay.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lastdancer posted:

the one thing I've been confused about : Does the affinity quest symbol mean there is a quest icon somewhere in that segment or does that mean an affinity quest just takes place in that segment?

The latter.

Just remember to save before accepting an affinity quest, I don't think you can cancel them and if you hit one that's a pain in the rear end, you're locked into it and can't change or progress the story.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Ma-Non are intentionally made to reference the Chipmunks, the first three you meet are wearing red, blue, and green. The One that's wearing red has his gear highlighted in a dull yellow so it resembles an A.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tip for surveys: Normal missions and "hunt a specific monster" missions are almost always tied to survey hexagons, as well as the affinity missions in NLA. If you're having trouble getting the 15% in Primordia do those.
Surveying gets easier later on when you have more places you can access

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Looper posted:

Also those dumb hornbirds are so STUPID and I love them

also also it's really impressive how every new xeno race is worse than the last

Seriously

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't know whether I love or hate this May character. Although I can't really judge her impossible luck, as I also happened to find a random cave on the shore of Oblivia with like ten million collectibles and level 5 mechanical treasure. Marked that one down mentally for later. Way later.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Ma-Non are intentionally made to reference the Chipmunks, the first three you meet are wearing red, blue, and green. The One that's wearing red has his gear highlighted in a dull yellow so it resembles an A.

do they sound like that in japanese too

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't know whether I love or hate this May character. Although I can't really judge her impossible luck, as I also happened to find a random cave on the shore of Oblivia with like ten million collectibles and level 5 mechanical treasure. Marked that one down mentally for later. Way later.

I dunno, finding 2 super rare items for her that can only spawn in rain in early morning only kind of made me hate her. 3 loving hours for those 2 god drat items

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
So am I missing something, or does Bozé's unlock quest not make much sense? You save the Ma-Non's life after Bozé is adamant about letting it die and shouting about how humans don't need xeno friends, and then it thanks...him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Saigyouji posted:

So am I missing something, or does Bozé's unlock quest not make much sense? You save the Ma-Non's life after Bozé is adamant about letting it die and shouting about how humans don't need xeno friends, and then it thanks...him?

That's kind of a recurring thing with Ma-non. I'm not sure what the joke or point is, but they seem incredibly oblivious to negative social cues.

• Locked thread