Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning,

"Donald Trump is standing on the platform of hate. And I’m sorry to say that it’s a platform that the Republican Party built for him. Last week I came to the floor and said that that Republican Party is running on a platform of hate. Yesterday, Donald Trump provided the strongest evidence yet that this is true. Trump’s proposal to bar Muslims from entering this country is hateful, despicable and vile.

We are a country founded on religious liberty, not a country that imposes religious tests. Trump’s statement is a slap in the face to the millions of peace-loving Muslims living here and to those who want to travel and live here. We welcome them all, and to them I say: Donald Trump is not America. Sadly, however, Donald Trump is the Republican Party.

Because it’s not just Trump. Many of the leading candidates for the Republican nomination have said hateful things. Especially about Muslims. Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz proposed religious tests for refugees. You can’t condemn Trump when you want to impose a religious test on women and children fleeing death and persecution. Ben Carson has called Muslims “rabid dogs.” Chris Christie has said they should be tracked.

Today, Donald Trump offered the only true statement he’s made in some time. Referring to some of his fellow Republican presidential candidates: “They have been condemning almost everything I say and then they come to my side.” That is disturbing, but true. Republican candidates condemn Trump’s remarks, and then adopt his racist policies as their own.

Let’s not fool ourselves. This sort of racism has been prevalent in Republican politics for decades. Trump is just saying out loud what other Republicans merely suggest. Political leaders must condemn these hateful, un-American statements with their words and their actions. Silence only empowers the bigots."

~ Harry Reid

Wait, they have a rebuttal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mitt Romney posted:

If you look at the facts ISIS is in very bad shape and we should stay the course.

Yeah this.

Hop into the ME thread and ask Fade5 for the tweets about AQ mocking the gently caress out of ISIS commanders for wishing they never tweeted for the US to bring on the air strikes because they weren't scared of them.

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm not advocating we send in ground troops by any means. But let's be realistic: we're playing Whack A Mole here and not much more.

Not really, we're running pretty much the same play we ran in Libya where we're the airforce for the local moderates, only the Kurds are actually way better than the anit-Qaddafi forces in Libya.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Notable RINO Donald Trump.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I love how desperately they're trying to disown the man who has plurality support among Republicans. Just call him a liberal enough times and nobody will notice the most far-right 30% of Republican voters adore him

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

foobardog posted:

Sadly, my fear is that it'll be in the sense of "DEMOCRAT Reid uses Trump's beliefs to attack THE REPUBLICAN PARTY! (That's you!)".
REID WHINES ABOUT REPUBLICANS LIKE A loving PUSSY

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

FAUXTON posted:

A lump of coal, as in she fired 30k people and couldn't handle the pressure required to really shine.

:drat:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oh sure, people jump on Trump for saying 'insane' things, but praise Obama when he says truly insane things like 'climate change is real' . :rolleyes:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm really not looking forward to the possibility of Christmas politics chat when I visit my parents in SC.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah this.

Hop into the ME thread and ask Fade5 for the tweets about AQ mocking the gently caress out of ISIS commanders for wishing they never tweeted for the US to bring on the air strikes because they weren't scared of them.

Not really, we're running pretty much the same play we ran in Libya where we're the airforce for the local moderates, only the Kurds are actually way better than the anit-Qaddafi forces in Libya.

Let me clarify. When I say we're playing Whack a Mole, I'm referring to the fact that we're doing nothing about Syria (and Vienna is a joke), and it's the enduring presence of the Assad regime that has spawned ISIL, Al-Nusra and her allies, the Saudi-funded Islamic Front, and so on and so forth.

The fact that the regime in power gives jihadists almost as great of a recruitment pitch as OIF. Sure, JDAMs will pound ISIL into the ground eventually, the tide's been turning ever since Ayn al-Arab (Kobani) last year. Just like at Fade5 or another Kurdish subject matter expert to see the results of that.

But the other unpleasant fact that we have to deal with is that we're not actually striking at the source of the problem - Syria.

Now, don't get me wrong, if no one in Langley or Foggy Bottom has a even remotely workable option for Syria no one in the entire USG does. I certainly don't. But the fact of the matter is that despite all the legitimate good we're doing bombing the poo poo outta ISIL, we're striking at symptoms.

Which is fine. But again, let's not pretend we're addressing the root of the problem when we're just treating the symptoms of an underlying disease.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I guess the term "liberal" has finally finished its long transition to "descriptor for thing I don't like".

Honey, this roast was excellent, but if I can be honest... the carrots were a little liberal.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

The Iron Rose posted:

Which is fine. But again, let's not pretend we're addressing the root of the problem when we're just treating the symptoms of an underlying disease.

Yup

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The root of the problem doesn't have a military solution.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

zoux posted:

Time to build schools in Raqqa.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

THE BOMBINATRIX posted:

Who?

And that statement is just about as puriile as what Trump said.

He's bald as a cue ball, oddly tattooed, big and tall and scraggly beard, mayor of a poo poo town with probably a 50% poverty rate, and he's attained something of a very small cult of personality because he says exactly what he thinks and acts like about the farthest thing possible from a politician, and he's actually remarkably not a complete idiot. Sort of a local Robin Hood figure.

Google a picture of him and see if you think he looks like a guy with an MA from Harvard in public policy.

Edit: holy poo poo, he's running for Toomey's Senate seat. loving spectacular.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 8, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

THE BOMBINATRIX posted:

Who?

And that statement is just about as puriile as what Trump said.

Senate candidate from Pennsylvania who I am unsure has been polled yet? :shrug:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Yeah this.

I agree that Assad needs to be gone before there can be a meaningful peace but doing that militarily is impossible because of all the player making Syria a dick waving proxy war, the US included.

The ME won't be stabilized unless global warming gets fixed (it wont) and Israel stops being assholes (they won't) so treating the symptoms is pretty much the only option.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
The problem though is the inconsistency of saying "we're doing nothing!" "Obama doesn't have a clue!" then when pressed saying "Well what we're doing isn't working!" or "no one knows what to do!"

Those aren't the same things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

That you think it's a joke shows how far we are from a solution and how long this is going to go on.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bip Roberts posted:

Yes, this is legitimately what we should do.

We should be subtly support moderate clerics while targeting extremists. We should be investing in infrastructure, healthcare, education while bombing as many members of extremist or terrorist groups as possible.

zoux posted:

Exactly. We're not going to be way to bomb radical Islam away. What we must do is provide a credible alternative that supports USG interests and secures a more stable future.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Pig’s Head Found Outside Philadelphia Mosque

quote:

According to the report, the animal's head may have been thrown out the window of a vehicle, with surveillance footage showing a red pickup slowing down in front of the mosque Sunday night. The truck circled back around the block, and at that point an object could be seen being tossed out of the passenger window and rolling along the sidewalk.

The caretaker said that he found the head near the door of the Al-Aqsa Islamic Society around 6 a.m. Monday.

According to AP, Mayor-elect Jim Kenney slammed the gesture, saying that it had "no place" in the city. "The bigotry that desecrated Al-Aqsa mosque today has no place in Philadelphia. The City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection has a long history of coming together in the face of challenge," Kenney said in a statement.

At least they didn't shoot the place up or burn it down.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Yes, this is legitimately what we should do.

We should be subtly support moderate clerics while targeting extremists. We should be investing in infrastructure, healthcare, education while bombing as many members of extremist or terrorist groups as possible.

Exactly. We're not going to be way to bomb radical Islam away. What we must do is provide a credible alternative that supports USG interests and secures a more stable future.

I agree that a youtube video where a bunch of moderate clerics get beheaded is my kind of thing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

The ME won't be stabilized unless global warming gets fixed (it wont) and Israel stops being assholes (they won't) so treating the symptoms is pretty much the only option.

Actually, it may be easier to stabilize the Middle East if we don't stop Global Climate Change http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/11/persian-gulf-temperatures-may-be-at-the-edge-of-human-tolerance-in-30-years/

:getin:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually, it may be easier to stabilize the Middle East if we don't stop Global Climate Change http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/11/persian-gulf-temperatures-may-be-at-the-edge-of-human-tolerance-in-30-years/

:getin:

If Europe thinks the refugee crisis is bad now...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MariusLecter posted:

how far has this country fallen when muslims are beheading the police outside of their satan temples...

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

zoux posted:

Their power, money, and influence comes from the land they hold.

Take their land.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nonsense posted:

Senate candidate from Pennsylvania who I am unsure has been polled yet? :shrug:

I didn't realize he was challenging McGinty for the Democratic nomination. John Fetterman in the U.S. Senate! Guy looks like nothing so much as a bouncer at a biker bar and refuses to wear anything but a black T-shirt. It's like the entire geographic region of SW Pennsylvania somehow gained human form.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Take their land.

loving Kurds suck.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Take their land.

Well, people used to argue Sicily should join the USA so Syria isn't too far away....I do think we're overdue for a 51st star.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Take their land.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gotta nuke somethin :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Take their land.

I can only treat this as sarcastic, because any other way would be :catstare:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/12/trump-getting-stronger-in-nc-islamophobia-helps-fuel-that-strength.html

Fully half of polled Rep voters in NC support a Muslim database. 42% believe Muslims cheered in New Jersey on 9/11. 35% want to shut down all mosques. 32% believe Islam should be illegal.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

*somewhere across the sea David Cameron's pulse has quickened*

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

usbombshell posted:

John Fetterman chimes in:

lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CommieGIR posted:

I can only treat this as sarcastic, because any other way would be :catstare:

Yea, he's a troll. Congratulations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Yea, he's a troll. Congratulations.

The troll rule: If they are trolling, its not to much of a jump to say they actually believe it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Remember how I said that what Hillary meant by "disrupting" terrorism was voluntary self-censorship of users? Well, that may yet happen, but Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) has revived another equally bad proposal that was killed earlier this year: compel social media outlets to report suspected terrorists to the Feds.

In other news, the lecturer who said that Yale students should have room "to be a little bit obnoxious, a little bit inappropriate or provocative or, yes, offensive" in their choice of Halloween costume has resigned.

And in Trump news, he cannot criticize Japanese internment "because [he] would have had to be there" to issue judgment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hulk Krogan posted:

People aren't worried about the ban actually happening so much as they are worried about the mobs of scared, angry white people being told that it's perfectly okay to bathe uninhibited in their bigotry and hatred against a minority group, and that their Muslim neighbors are an existential threat.

Neighbors is a bit of a stretch considering the housing practices of the modern American city.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

We can only hope he'll feel compelled to travel to Syria to judge whether ISIS's treatment of prisoners is inhumane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

I would criticize crucifixion but I'd have to see it before I issued judgement.

• Locked thread