Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Remember how I said that what Hillary meant by "disrupting" terrorism was voluntary self-censorship of users? Well, that may yet happen, but Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) has revived another equally bad proposal that was killed earlier this year: compel social media outlets to report suspected terrorists to the Feds.

I don't see a problem with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I can only treat this as sarcastic, because any other way would be :catstare:

We're talking about beating ISIS, right? Which is so large that it's essentially a state. They get tons of revenue from oil, taxes, and they run things down to the local government. But more than that, they're a caliphate, which can't exist without land to rule.

Not saying *we* should do it solo. But ISIS will continue to be a threat until they no longer control territory.

If we're talking about reducing the number of Islamists who hate the west worldwide to like double digits or something - good loving luck.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

yeah I don't see what's so objectionable about supporting the SDF/ISF in their quest to push ISIL back and re-secure their territory.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't see a problem with this.

It's a slippery slope from "report all suspected terrorists" to "report anyone who disagrees with my political views."

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In other news, the lecturer who said that Yale students should have room "to be a little bit obnoxious, a little bit inappropriate or provocative or, yes, offensive" in their choice of Halloween costume has resigned.

Good riddance.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did Trump say how we should identify Muslims to keep them out, or is that just left to the imagination of his supporters (skin color, devil horns hidden under turbans, etc)?

Anyone wearing this goes on a watch list:

:ssh: Muhsin Muhammad is actually a Christian, his father converted to Islam and Muhsin converted to Christianity

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

The Iron Rose posted:

yeah I don't see what's so objectionable about supporting the SDF/ISF in their quest to push ISIL back and re-secure their territory.

Because Syria is ran by a brutal dictator who gassed his own people?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

CommieGIR posted:

The troll rule: If they are trolling, its not to much of a jump to say they actually believe it.

There is no sarcasm, no comedy. Everything is serious business.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

TheDisreputableDog posted:

We're talking about beating ISIS, right? Which is so large that it's essentially a state. They get tons of revenue from oil, taxes, and they run things down to the local government. But more than that, they're a caliphate, which can't exist without land to rule.

Not saying *we* should do it solo. But ISIS will continue to be a threat until they no longer control territory.

If we're talking about reducing the number of Islamists who hate the west worldwide to like double digits or something - good loving luck.

Yeah they really fit the Montevideo Convention definition of a state: it's big!
How big? THIS BIG DUDE ITS A STATE :rolleyes:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Nosy_G posted:

It's a slippery slope from "report all suspected terrorists" to "report anyone who disagrees with my political views."

there's a pretty big difference between "kill the kuffars" and "full communism now the US is murdering brown people for oil"

about the only similarity between the two statements is that they're both stupid as poo poo.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Eh, Vader Sessions was better.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Because Syria is ran by a brutal dictator who gassed his own people?

ah yes. The Syrian Democratic Forces, made up of CIA/DoD backed rebels, the Free Syrian Army, and Kurdish groups. Totally the same thing as the SAA.

The Iraqi Security Forces are a disaster in the making, but support Assad they do not.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm just gonna start calling Trump Il Duce from now on

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Il Douchey?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

:ssh: Muhsin Muhammad is actually a Christian, his father converted to Islam and Muhsin converted to Christianity

Hmmm an apostate....

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

I'm just gonna start calling Trump Il Duce from now on

Pronounced douche-y.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

The Iron Rose posted:

ah yes. The Syrian Democratic Forces, made up of CIA/DoD backed rebels, the Free Syrian Army, and Kurdish groups. Totally the same thing as the SAA.

The Iraqi Security Forces are a disaster in the making, but support Assad they do not.

My apologies. I misread the acronym.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My apologies. I misread the acronym.

No worries, it's a bit of an alphabet soup and misreading one acronym on a comedy internet forum is not the end of the world :v:

And that was more abrasive than it needed to be, so my apologies as well.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Yeah they really fit the Montevideo Convention definition of a state: it's big!
How big? THIS BIG DUDE ITS A STATE :rolleyes:

I mean "big" from an organizational perspective - they have a council, secretaries, and local leaders, and are basically set up to rule (from a secular perspective) any land they can grab.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/09/16/world/middleeast/how-isis-works.html?_r=0

So yes, it's run like a state.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I mean "big" from an organizational perspective - they have a council, secretaries, and local leaders, and are basically set up to rule (from a secular perspective) any land they can grab.

That also describes Model UN.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The Trail of Tears sounds bad, but you can't pass judgement without having lived there.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

That also describes Model UN.

Also the Amish. And Exxon/Mobil.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The Trail of Tears sounds bad, but you can't pass judgement without having lived there.

The Holocaust sounds pretty bad, but you never saw it so how would you know?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I wish somebody would ask Trump about this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's pretending to be a state but they don't have the infrastructure of a state, the taxes they collect are probably not at sustainable levels, and they're hamstrung by the need to wrap everything in fundamentalist Islamic dogma.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We're not talking about America.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Plus they banned the teaching of chemistry but want to subsist as an oil state :shrug:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I guess the term "liberal" has finally finished its long transition to "descriptor for thing I don't like".

Honey, this roast was excellent, but if I can be honest... the carrots were a little liberal.

Liberal has been supplanted by "politically correct." Now you don't have to even be a liberal to be hated and it provides all kinds of neat cover for political bullshitery you could never get away with before.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "I might oversleep that day." ~ Bob Dole, on whether he'd vote for Ted Cruz if he'd the nominee.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

zoux posted:

Hmmm an apostate....

Or taqqiya. He will lure Christians to their doom with his sure hands and effective downfield blocking.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

"When we come to that conclusion you don't want to jam any members," McCarthy said,

:quagmire:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Liberal has been supplanted by "politically correct." Now you don't have to even be a liberal to be hated and it provides all kinds of neat cover for political bullshitery you could never get away with before.

You're like 15 years late on that one. Politically correct is now SJW.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/09/16/world/middleeast/how-isis-works.html?_r=0

So yes, it's run like a state.

No, you meant a state (because it's in their name, lol). Just admit it was a dumb thing to say and not move your goal posts further.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

computer parts posted:

You're like 15 years late on that one. Politically correct is now SJW.

Maybe online, but your typical 'fire up the computer and start The Google' Uncle from Butte or Tuscon is keen on using 'PC.' They have no loving clue what an SJW is.

People were, for example, calling highly decorated, highly conservative soldiers supporting the two female Rangers who passed their tests "PC" as a way to disarm them.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Moktaro posted:

"When we come to that conclusion you don't want to jam any members," McCarthy said,

:quagmire:

I love that when Ryan was elected he was championing that they were not going to do short-term funding shenanigans anymore and that wasn't the right way to govern.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Maybe online, but your typical 'fire up the computer and start The Google' Uncle from Butte or Tuscon is keen on using 'PC.'

And they've been doing so for 15 years.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Shes Not Impressed posted:

No, you meant a state (because it's in their name, lol). Just admit it was a dumb thing to say and not move your goal posts further.

Well, one meaning of the word is a meaningless non seq, the other supports my underlying argument wrt keeping land, but go with whatever you need to feel good about that SICK eyeroll I guess.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay but lemme gently caress with you here.
What if.
What if.
There's a terrorist attack between now and the election, or worse, between Trump getting the nomination and the election?
What happens then?

Seriously, if you don't think Daesh is watching this and doing all the moves you're just not thinking this through.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Moktaro posted:

Seriously, if you don't think Daesh is watching this and doing all the moves you're just not thinking this through.

I severely doubt they're watching anything American other than the planes overhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

THE BOMBINATRIX posted:

Who?

And that statement is just about as puriile as what Trump said.

Calling for prohibiting all Muslims from entering or returning to the US is equally puerile as calling the person who said that a jagoff?

It's not worse?

• Locked thread