Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't know whether I love or hate this May character. Although I can't really judge her impossible luck, as I also happened to find a random cave on the shore of Oblivia with like ten million collectibles and level 5 mechanical treasure. Marked that one down mentally for later. Way later.

There's a similar cave in Noctilus, it has some level 40ish crab enemies that pop up after awhile, but other than that it's just an ocean of collectibles and a level 70+ Tyrant that despite saying it has aggro based on sight has never aggroed me as I did donuts around the cave grabbing all the loot repeatedly.

Also having taken down the Telethia's life bar three times in a single battle now, I'm pretty sure the fight just goes on until you run out of retries or time runs out, with it not actually dying until it runs out of those rp points or whatever they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Looper posted:

do they sound like that in japanese too

Yep

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Where is the best place to get Kiweggs in Oblivia? I swear they should have just gone the full way with buying resources as this item spawn RNG has it in for me.

Also, as much as I don't really like or hate Lin, Alexa should have been a main cast character over her. They both are insane engineers that love giant robots but she's older and uses spears.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What are the names of the affinity missions I should avoid until later in the game? I want to get some of these out of the way but don't much care for swimming across an ocean because I don't have a Skell yet.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
An NPC told me where to find california sunsets and spherical EM rotors (west of Biahno Lake near the caves in Primordia, and in the Weeping Whitewood in Noctilum) which is pretty cool, but it'd be way cooler if that information got added to the collectopedia or the mission marker or something

especially since I still haven't found a sunset :(

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Augus posted:

What are the names of the affinity missions I should avoid until later in the game? I want to get some of these out of the way but don't much care for swimming across an ocean because I don't have a Skell yet.

hope springs eternal is one. i can't remember the names, but also the one in the outfitters hangar and the bar in the industrial district

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Looper posted:

An NPC told me where to find california sunsets and spherical EM rotors (west of Biahno Lake near the caves in Primordia, and in the Weeping Whitewood in Noctilum) which is pretty cool, but it'd be way cooler if that information got added to the collectopedia or the mission marker or something

Usually an NPC involved in the mission will tell you where the stuff you need for it is if you talk to them again. They can be a bit vague though and god help you if they reference a landmark that you haven't visited yet. I spent like an hour wandering around Noctilum trying to find out where the gently caress the "Great Nail" was.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The Affinity missions all tell you where you'll be going before you even accept it, and you can always check with the gamepad

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I always seem to find at least one in that little cave, but that's just me, I suppose. Place is also good to find those pearls.

In other news, I REALLY like how lively the city gradually becomes as more and more xenos get recruited. Lots of fun little sidestories going around that only crazy people like me who talk to every character between every major sidequest will tend to see.

On the negative side, holy poo poo I'm never leaving chapter 5, I'm being crushed under the weight of a million sidequests with collectible requirements. My tickets only took me so far here!

I wonder if I should at least do one more story chapter so I have access to Skells before tackling my monstrous quest log. Probably.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Looper posted:

I'm pretty sure the California Sunsets only spawn inside caves.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Looper posted:

I found a sunset in a cave at the top of one of the tall rocks off the north east coast of Primordia. It's connected to the mainland by a long rock bridge above the ocean.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TurnipFritter posted:

Your best bet is the cave north of uh, something mire. It's the cave where you have to plant the tourist probe for that one quest. It's north of nla.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

TurnipFritter posted:

I can confirm this; the guide shows it as a reasonably common drop in caves, and nowhere else. I got like 3 stealthing around in a cave with a ton of level 40 Grexes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Looper posted:

That Rock Cavern that you go to in The Probe-fessional has California Sunsets and those pearls from one of the gathering missions.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Y'all are cool :)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The guide has range from 1 (I'm pretty sure you can look at a crystal, and suddenly have five in your inventory) and 5 (Fire Tarantula) and it's a 2, so, just run in a cave and you'll be good.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Calaveron posted:

Your best bet is the cave north of uh, something mire. It's the cave where you have to plant the tourist probe for that one quest. It's north of nla.

Yeah, the one north of the Silent Mire is great because you can explore it at your leisure in the day. The Beast's Lair is a good one too if you can run fast enough to get past the guard monster.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I have no idea what it did, but there's this level 30 Tyrant in north eastern oblivia that's some bullshit. It destroyed 2 of my team's Skells in what seemed to be a single attack each, and this right after my team took down a level 50 Tyrant in Primordia with only a single loss.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Eopia posted:

I have no idea what it did, but there's this level 30 Tyrant in north eastern oblivia that's some bullshit. It destroyed 2 of my team's Skells in what seemed to be a single attack each, and this right after my team took down a level 50 Tyrant in Primordia with only a single loss.

Maybe your team is particularly weak to a certain attack type, like Gravity? I dunno.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My fun tyrant encounter was I warped into the Weeping Whitewood (looking for an EM Motor), only to suddenly be face to face with a level 72 or 92 or either way well up there spider.

He noticed me trying to grab a crystal and one-shot my entire squad.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't know whether I love or hate this May character. Although I can't really judge her impossible luck, as I also happened to find a random cave on the shore of Oblivia with like ten million collectibles and level 5 mechanical treasure. Marked that one down mentally for later. Way later.

Yo that cave will save your rear end later for the skell. Beagflys beatles or something of the sort idk

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So, uh, the Lailah's vehicle mode is loving terrible. It controls like a drunken toddler in comparison to the Heavy and Formula Skells I've also bought.

Anyone know if that's just like, a thing for the Medium Skells? I hope not, but goddamn I can't pilot this thing.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Looper posted:

Change the thread title to Read the Manual

You know it's almost like I tried that. Maybe I didn't look deep enough.

Sustentacular
Aug 27, 2011
Heh, I had a squad mission with endless honkbirds. No joke, we were fighting them for like 5-10 minutes straight. They kept trying to summon the final monster and we kept knocking them around and killing them, so the game kept spawning more. We'd all nearly run out of skell fuel (and time!) before we figured this out :doh: It was a hilarious honking mess and lots of fun, and we got it in the end.

Is there a list somewhere of what each skell's overdrive does? I figure I'll get a heavy one with an overdrive I like and then put bunny ears on it. You can do that right?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mastered a class, it feels really strange to branch into a new class and immediately override everything with my old weapons and art set up. Like I swear I am going to try new weapons as soon as I get some decent arts for them but somewhere deep inside I feel like that's a lie I'm telling myself and inertia is going to make me end up using the same weapon until overpowered hybrid builds start getting posted to the internet.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
tying to walk to the Dorian caravan without getting my poo poo wrecked by higher levels. Also need to find an easy way to those spherical motors in noctilum.

Guess I'm in the minority but I love the Ma-non. A race of little engineer amphibians is awesome.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Med School posted:

tying to walk to the Dorian caravan without getting my poo poo wrecked by higher levels. Also need to find an easy way to those spherical motors in noctilum.

Guess I'm in the minority but I love the Ma-non. A race of little engineer amphibians is awesome.

I like them too. They could have gone a bit easier on the voice synth though, maybe an octave lower and they'd be alright. But their whole character is super fun.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Monolith. posted:

You know it's almost like I tried that. Maybe I didn't look deep enough.

Yeah I'm dumb, the elemental symbols aren't in there. But they are listed on the status menu!

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

zedprime posted:

Mastered a class, it feels really strange to branch into a new class and immediately override everything with my old weapons and art set up. Like I swear I am going to try new weapons as soon as I get some decent arts for them but somewhere deep inside I feel like that's a lie I'm telling myself and inertia is going to make me end up using the same weapon until overpowered hybrid builds start getting posted to the internet.

Yeah, I've spent my entire time as a Blast Fencer just using my Mastermind setup. Black Butterfly and Ether Blast are too good to pass up.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
A link to the manual has been added to the OP.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Anybody who has the Prima Guide can you tell me if it is worth getting?

Specifically does it have listings for what monsters drop which materials, does it explain how potential works with Skells, and does it have anything on optimal probe placement and locations of sightseeing points?
Oh and does it explain what items are required to build augments? Since I have a bucketfull of them that say "???" and give me no hints.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
"Whole caravan get loopy on pollen orbs tonight!"

Nopon just tripping on mushrooms all the time. Haha...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think after I master Astral Crusader I might go for a range-heavy Full Metal Jaguar build with the javelin supporting the pistols. I still love the mobility/animations of dual guns but the dual sword abilities seem kind of assy as support for a range damage build. Javelin has some stuff that seems like it'd synergize well.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Ten hours in and the lack of polish on the systems are starting to wear on me. Why do I need to find my teammates in the city as opposed having them in the barracks or easily accessible via menu? Why aren't their names a different color? Why are story missions gated by affinity quests without providing a really clear pointer to where to find them? Why does interacting with the AM's crafting systems require so many menu deep dives? Why do quests ask for specific resources without giving a great indicator on where to find them?

Although I don't agree with the trade-off, I'm willing to understand the appeal of switching from a more story and character driven game to one that focuses on broad, free range exploration. But really, any time I play I feel like there's a japanese designer standing behind me just continually flicking my ears with all these small yet really annoying interaction points.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The monster index could stand to be a little more specific too. They just tell you the zone but not where in the zone. C'mon man, these places are huge!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Brackhar posted:

Ten hours in and the lack of polish on the systems are starting to wear on me. Why do I need to find my teammates in the city as opposed having them in the barracks or easily accessible via menu? Why aren't their names a different color? Why are story missions gated by affinity quests without providing a really clear pointer to where to find them? Why does interacting with the AM's crafting systems require so many menu deep dives? Why do quests ask for specific resources without giving a great indicator on where to find them?

Although I don't agree with the trade-off, I'm willing to understand the appeal of switching from a more story and character driven game to one that focuses on broad, free range exploration. But really, any time I play I feel like there's a japanese designer standing behind me just continually flicking my ears with all these small yet really annoying interaction points.

The inventory is going to be my most hated feature when it's all said and done, there's just a glut of poo poo and it's all thrown in with stuff I actually want to keep and if I don't stay prune it every fifteen minutes it becomes unmanageable. I killed five pigs last night testing out a new ability and got seven pieces of gear.

At least with weapons I can junk obsolete stuff but for armor I want to dress up my dudes so I keep a lot of old armor as well as the stuff that's purely cosmetic like the tank tops/suits/etc, and that all gets clumped together with stuff I actually want to equip. Let me throw stuff in a storage bin!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is the preferred starting division still Reclaimers for the increased drops? Is there some benefit to doing something like Pathfinding and scouting a shitload and then switching over and "continuing" the game as normal? (for Solo Play, still can't figure out if the bonus applies to solo play, no consensus on it)

I've heard you can cheese some of the Pathfinding by cloaking and running deep into high-level zones.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 8, 2015

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Is Sakuraba the only company that is going to sell me Prime gear? Best everyone else can manage is Green or Blue junk even when they are at the same AM rank (five) as Sakuraba.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's funny hiring a level 60 NPC to help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are the ten-bear-rear end kill/gather missions from the board necessary or worth doing or should I be looking elsewhere for stuff to do?

I wandered into a gray tyrant segment yesterday--I think it was where you meet Tatsu--but never found any tyrant, just got killed a lot by purple con spiders. :(

• Locked thread