Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

computer parts posted:

And they've been doing so for 15 years.

Yea, it's not new, so I am not really sure the point you're making. If you don't think it's taken new life though in the last few years, I don't know what to say. I can't escape the loving term whenever people on my feed or in the news/blogs are talking about what to call terrorism and those responsible, academic freedom or marriage equality. 5 years ago even that was absolutely not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Erik Erikson is actually correct here. I agree that far from sinking his campaign, this Muslim ban poo poo is actually going to boost him.

quote:

Set aside the merits of what amounts to at least, in part, an unconstitutional position.

This is actually brilliant politics for the here and now. Immediately, every other Republican candidate except Ted Cruz rushed out to attack Donald Trump. He’s unhinged, hateful, etc. And the responses all amounted to “we must let muslims [sic] enter our country,” which sounds a whole lot like “we must allow all Mexicans in our country,” which everyone knows is blatantly untrue on both counts.

We do not have to do it, but the other candidates, unable to nuance their spittle, went all in with “no religious tests” and “yes we must do this because it is who we are.”

So, to put it another way, the day after the President failed to reassure a scared public following the second worst terrorist attack since 9/11 on domestic soil, Donald Trump not only got himself to the right of all the other candidates, but also got every single one of them save for Ted Cruz to align themselves with Barack Obama.

Remember that he's not trying to appeal to anyone but an extremely small and extremely influential voting bloc of GOP primary voters, and they love this poo poo.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

computer parts posted:

I severely doubt they're watching anything American other than the planes overhead.

Part of their social media presence is to elicit feedback so I'm not too sure on that.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Shes Not Impressed posted:

No, you meant a state (because it's in their name, lol). Just admit it was a dumb thing to say and not move your goal posts further.

I don't understand why there is so much pushback and what he trying to convey though. Goons repeating the thought that ISIS is unsustainable make it seem like ISIS is on the brink of collapse so gently caress it, you know? They've already defeated themselves, they just don't know it.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Moktaro posted:

Seriously, if you don't think Daesh is watching this and doing all the moves you're just not thinking this through.

EACH MORNING I OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT'S THE SIEGE AND I START DOING THE MOVES...

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

zoux posted:

Erik Erikson is actually correct here. I agree that far from sinking his campaign, this Muslim ban poo poo is actually going to boost him.

Remember that he's not trying to appeal to anyone but an extremely small and extremely influential voting bloc of GOP primary voters, and they love this poo poo.

I can't take the author seriously so I disagree with everything he said.

Attacking Muslims like this is not going to play well in a General Election whether or not he wins the primary.

Also ISIS is sustainable as long as the West focuses on it and makes it it's primary goal to attack it. They are falling into the very prophesy that ISIS is trying to fulfill. If they lose against ISIS they will also fulfill the prophesy so completely that it may as well be true and the end times will be upon us and most muslims will follow ISIS for realz tho.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CalmDownMate posted:

I can't take the author seriously so I disagree with everything he said.

Attacking Muslims like this is not going to play well in a General Election whether or not he wins the primary.

Yeah no poo poo, but he's not trying to win a general right now. It's canny as hell.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

It's hilarious how hard everyone is trying to discredit Trump. Some of the things he is suggesting, like having a list of immigrants and what religion they practice, are things that we are probably already doing. I mean, Americans are fine with the government keeping lists of ever website every citizen views, and keeping the track of every cell phone call ever made but somehow its reprehensible to propose that we track what foreign visitors are doing? 100% guarantee we're already doing that.

Been catching up with the thread and this post caught my eye. I think there's been a general lack of info, not about Trump's idea being awful, but why exactly they would be.

Racial profiling doesn't work. Number one: it wastes resources. 67,000,000 million people visit the US a year. Since Muslims make up 1/6 of the world's population, they would constitute a large percentage of that number. Estimates for Muslim immigrants and citizens living in the States vary between 2 to 7 million. While Christians make up the majority of this number, we are still talking about tasking the US government, already straining to keep eyes on jihadis, to enlarge that scrutiny from a few thousand, to a few million. That's not too mention the fact that many, many Muslims are African-American. Do we turn the eyes of our intelligence bureas to black people as well? Add a few million to that as well.

Number two: it wouldn't do anything. Pretend the government security appartus was able to do the above by, I don't know, the biggest injection of funds and manpower since the TVA was around. Think about it statistically. We've had 350+ mass shootings this year so far. We've had one involving a "radicalized" Muslim. And for that particular case, the only way that would have been prevented (well, perhaps, more on that on point 3), was for the family coming forward. THE BEST WAY TO CATCH THESE ASSHOLES IS FOR THEIR COMMUNITY TO WORK WITH THE GOVERNMENT. You don't alienate the precise people you need to foil these attacks. This is just stupidity. The FBI, CIA, and even Mossad, have said the same thing. This won't stop any attacks. What it's meant to do is attack a whole class of people based on their beliefs and skin color. Which goes to point 3.

Number three: it goes against everything America stands for. There were Muslims here before the Constitution was written http://arabsinamerica.unc.edu/history/muslim-immigration/. They've done more than their share in uplifting and enriching the States, whole-handedly saving entire cities and regions through their commerce and participation in American life. The above proposal would be a slap and a cold negation of that long history, a reducing of millions of people to second class status and automatic suspicion and targetting based on something they were born into and spiritually enrich their lives. Its unworkable, useless, racist, as mean spiritied as it gets, and the stupidest loving thing that can be imagined.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

zoux posted:

Yeah no poo poo, but he's not trying to win a general right now. It's canny as hell.

Then he's an idiot setting his party up for failure three times in a row and damning it to total destruction.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

zoux posted:

Well yeah, but this kind of poo poo would linger like crazy during a general and it'd be way too late to walk it back at that point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senf posted:

Well yeah, but this kind of poo poo would linger like crazy during a general and it'd be way too late to walk it back at that point.

So we hope. Maybe we're all wrong about how well Islamophobia plays in the general, we've been wrong about pretty much everything w/r/t Trump to this point.

CalmDownMate posted:

Then he's an idiot setting his party up for failure three times in a row and damning it to total destruction.

The Republican party is gonna be just fine. They're still going to control 32 governorships, at least one house of congress and most of the state legislatures.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

CalmDownMate posted:

which is why he's obviously a plant by the Hillary campaign.

wake up sheeple.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Shageletic posted:

Number three: it goes against everything America stands for. There were Muslims here before the Constitution was written http://arabsinamerica.unc.edu/history/muslim-immigration/. They've done more than their share in uplifting and enriching the States, whole-handedly saving entire cities and regions through their commerce and participation in American life. The above proposal would be a slap and a cold negation of that long history, a reducing of millions of people to second class status and automatic suspicion and targetting based on something they were born into and spiritually enrich their lives. Its unworkable, useless, racist, as mean spiritied as it gets, and the stupidest loving thing that can be imagined.

If anybody gave a poo poo about what america stands for we wouldn't have a massive international torture program or local black sites for the chicago police department

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CalmDownMate posted:

That's how the modern GOP works. FYGM in a national context. It's inertia that has allowed them to continue on that path for so long.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

Calling for prohibiting all Muslims from entering or returning to the US is equally puerile as calling the person who said that a jagoff?

It's not worse?

No, we must always be civil and not use words like liar, facist or racist; those are taboo.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

CalmDownMate posted:

yeah, if there's anything politicians hate it's getting paid to serve corporate interests regardless of whether they're on the "lesser" or "greater" evil team

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

zoux posted:

So we hope. Maybe we're all wrong about how well Islamophobia plays in the general, we've been wrong about pretty much everything w/r/t Trump to this point.

The Republican party is gonna be just fine. They're still going to control 32 governorships, at least one house of congress and most of the state legislatures.

If you lose the presidency 3 times in a row your party will be going into crisis whether you like it or not. The party will split between the Business Wing and the Crazies. You know it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

UberJew posted:

If anybody gave a poo poo about what america stands for we wouldn't have a massive international torture program or local black sites for the chicago police department

And how much worse would those thing be if the government with no shame state that certain races of American citizenry would have de facto shrunken rights?

The whole conversation is pushing things to a worse and worse state of affairs regardless of Trump becomes President. Its disgusting.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Goons repeating the thought that ISIS is unsustainable make it seem like ISIS is on the brink of collapse so gently caress it, you know?

Ummm, I believe it's Goons *plus* that Slate article....

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Moktaro posted:

"When we come to that conclusion you don't want to jam any members," McCarthy said,

:quagmire:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CalmDownMate posted:

If you lose the presidency 3 times in a row your party will be going into crisis whether you like it or not. The party will split between the Business Wing and the Crazies. You know it.

Look at the history of liberal prognostications about the demise/fracturing of the Republican party.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

Look at the history of liberal prognostications about the demise/fracturing of the Republican party.

Then again, Reagan/Bush kind of wiped out the Democratic Party of the 1970s and earlier.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

CalmDownMate posted:

There are no ideological differences within the GOP, it's all disagreement on tactics. It's not going to split.

And no, the party that controls the supreme court, house, senate, 70% of state governments is not going to go into crisis mode. And if they lose the presidency their share in government will only grow more in 2018.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

Then again, Reagan/Bush kind of wiped out the Democratic Party of the 1970s and earlier.

It could happen sure, but it's useless to try to predict. Liberals have been predicting that the latest GOP atrocity is at last the ne plus ultra, that this is as far as the American public can stomach and finally the Republicans have woven the rope they will hang themselves with. Yet here they are. Again, a party that controls as many offices and legislative bodies as the GOP is not a party in crisis.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Ryan, Reince and Romney have all condemned Trump in various forms. But I think until they disavow him as being acceptable as a Republican nominee, that only helps him.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

zoux posted:

Eventually the business wing is going to get sick of not getting many of the reduced regulations and taxes they've been lobbying for. The crazies have benefited from the relationship because it funded their campaigns, but the business guys have gotten very little out of it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

It could happen sure, but it's useless to try to predict. Liberals have been predicting that the latest GOP atrocity is at last the ne plus ultra, that this is as far as the American public can stomach and finally the Republicans have woven the rope they will hang themselves with. Yet here they are. Again, a party that controls as many offices and legislative bodies as the GOP is not a party in crisis.

So would you say in 2008 they actually were in crisis? Since present conditions are the only measure of that, apparently.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Eventually the business wing is going to get sick of not getting many of the reduced regulations and taxes they've been lobbying for. The crazies have benefited from the relationship because it funded their campaigns, but the business guys have gotten very little out of it.

I've read this exact post probably 100 times.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ryan, Reince and Romney have all condemned Trump in various forms. But I think until they disavow him as being acceptable as a Republican nominee, that only helps him.

The strategy works really well taken in context of his other business ventures, ie to use as little of his own money as possible.

Everyone else is doing his coverage for him.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

uh...

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

TyrantWD posted:

At the state level businesses have gotten huge reductions in taxes and regulations. Once again at the federal level it's a disagreement on tactics- they will still be heavily supporting the GOP.

It's also safe to assume that a GOP-led house has prevented regulations.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Mitt Romney posted:

There are no ideological differences within the GOP, it's all disagreement on tactics. It's not going to split.

Um yes there is. The business wing is mostly gay friendly and aren't flat out xenephobic bigots? They're also not super duper christian fundies.

gently caress there's a lot of differences.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CalmDownMate posted:

Um yes there is. The business wing is mostly gay friendly and aren't flat out xenephobic bigots? They're also not super duper christian fundies.

Then what happened to all the moderate Republicans?

If this mythical "business wing of the GOP" could do anything about the Tea Party, they already would've.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

This is the second worst terrorist attack since 9/11 now?

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

zoux posted:

And what pray loving tell makes it any less valid?

The business wing always got their candidate every presidential election. If trump wins this time around they will not have gotten that. They will move to the Democrat Party or split off. It's that simple.

It's not been the loving crazies that have been in danger of leaving if they didn't get their way. It's been the actual people with money. This is very loving simple. So far they have always gotten their way. If thy don't get their way this time and lose for a third time in the row it's game over. Very loving simple.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

zoux posted:

Then what happened to all the moderate Republicans?

well like serious adults they accept the compromise of only killing half the gay muslims, and only doing so when it benefits half the rich

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

zoux posted:

If this mythical "business wing of the GOP" could do anything about the Tea Party, they already would've.

They already have done things about the Tea Party. They've ruined non-establishment politicians time and time again to ensure that Romney and McCain get the nomination.

Are you even loving paying attention?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

CalmDownMate posted:

Mitt Romney is probably referring to the actual office-holders and other party officials, not voters. There's not too much split among the party, and they'll probably stuff their differences and mush like the good doggies they've always been. Among voters, yeah there's everything from evangelical preppers to centrists who want gay rights but also lower taxes—those opinions just aren't reflected by the people in power.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Yeah and it ended up the other way around with the Kochs astroturfing the Tea Party and the crazies breaking off. And yeah that was years ago.

If anything the crazies will split off even more but the thing is that they can't get any of their poo poo done without the big money business types they claim to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

CalmDownMate posted:

"Erick son of Erick is an idiot" has to be among the least controversial things one can say at this point.

• Locked thread