Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The Pope is Climate Change Pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

DaveWoo posted:

I wonder how far back you have to go in American history to find another example of a presidential frontrunner openly espousing rhetoric as vicious and hateful as the sort of stuff Trump is saying now. Any historical exports want to weigh in here?

I'd posit that Joe Lieberman's 2000 campaign came pretty close but he still wasn't quite as open about it.

The thing about Trump's rhetoric is that it is like doping in baseball in the 90's. There is a gentleman's agreement that nobody will do it because anyone who does will obviously gain a massive advantage over everyone else. So the only time anyone gets upset about it is when you have enough proof to show that the doping is why a certain person is so far ahead of everyone else. So that is my sports analogy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Radbot posted:

In a literal sense this is now true yes

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Incidentally, this is the post that finally convinced me you were a troll and not a true believer, because the proper term is "climate change skeptics"

Look I'm never sure which liberal buzzwords will trigger the mods here, so consider it protective coloration.

Anyway take a look at this hateful rhetoric, worthy of the Donald himself:

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/11/us/the-2000-campaign-the-ad-campaign-attacking-bush-on-pollution.html

quote:

ON THE SCREEN -- The Houston skyline shrouded in smog. An image of Mr. Bush signing papers gives way to smokestacks churning out white clouds, and children's empty swing sets. The Seattle skyline appears and grows hazy.

Of course, air quality continued to improve during GWBs Presidency....

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

Yeah, the new pope is cool and good.*

*compared to the last several popes

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Radbot posted:

GOP is doing their damndest to stick their fingers in their ears and ignore that, though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

CommieGIR posted:

If Hillary wins and Donald comes up on stage and high five's her, the GOP will explode.

Sydin posted:

p.sure the whole country would explode.

when this inevitably happens, this will be me irl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DcqnkzGEFQ

I will basically never stop rocking out, even if Tom Hardy or Charlize Theron punch me off a moving vehicle

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I always love that Gore is the go to guy for the Climate Change Denial guys.

Because nobody gives a poo poo about Gore's views, we're more interested in the NOAA/IPCC/NASA/EPA/etc.

It is much easier to attack a person than an idea that supported by mountains of evidence. People still attack Darwin as if the truth of evolution depends on what an English guy wrote 150 years ago.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Internet Webguy posted:

The thing about Trump's rhetoric is that it is like doping in baseball in the 90's. There is a gentleman's agreement that nobody will do it because anyone who does will obviously gain a massive advantage over everyone else. So the only time anyone gets upset about it is when you have enough proof to show that the doping is why a certain person is so far ahead of everyone else. So that is my sports analogy.

You're right, though. Trump isn't really saying anything differently than the other GOP candidates. He's just refusing to use the agreed-upon dog whistles, which the media isn't used to and is thus eating up. It's also putting the other candidates in a tight spot, because now they have to walk the line of using the dog whistle while immediately talking down the what Trump is saying, despite it being the underlying message of said dog whistle. It's also why the crazies are all flocking to Trump - to their ears he's the only one with a consistent message that appeals to them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Don't forget years of being told that being a True Conservative means being unafraid to 'tell it like it is'. So now we've got a guy dropping the dogwhistles and they've all been primed to respond to him strongly.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Sam Wang says that it's not just population clustering favoring the GOP in the house, but that redistricting gave about 11 house seats to the GOP post 2010.

http://election.princeton.edu/2015/...tes/#more-13110

quote:

It is possible to quantify the effects of population clustering and partisan redistricting separately. In my SSRN paper, I estimate that population clustering was responsible for a net shift of 9-10 House seats towards Republicans. The total effect of post-2010 redistricting added a net gain of 11 additional seats for Republicans. (this combines 14 seats in seven GOP-controlled states with 3 seats in two Democrat-controlled states). In other words, partisan redistricting in just seven states created a distortion that exceeded the effects of population clustering in all 50 states combined.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Yeah I remember Texas was expecting like 2 seats and got 4 instead. A side effect of people moving South plus the relatively fertile immigrant population.

I think I remember seeing that black people are heading back south en mass too because there's better work opportunities and they have familial connections to support them too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mitt Romney posted:

Sam Wang says that it's not just population clustering favoring the GOP in the house, but that redistricting gave about 11 house seats to the GOP post 2010.

http://election.princeton.edu/2015/...tes/#more-13110

Independent redistricting commissions are legal now, at least. It's a baby step, and no red states in their right mind are going to let it happen to them barring legislation at the federal level, but it's something. Hopefully by the time the next census has rolled around we can roll back a little bit of this bullshit.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Local radio was trying to blame the liberals for Trump's comments somehow.

It was a hilarious damage control tail-spin about he's really a liberal and doesn't represent republicans.(Same guy has supported Trump on the air multiple times before)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

It was a hilarious damage control tail-spin about he's really a liberal and doesn't represent republicans.(Same guy has supported Trump on the air multiple times before)

I've seen three articles from three separate sources today to the same effect.

It goes towards the mentality that conservative ideas and conservative politicians cannot be bad, so if something is bad it must be liberal.

imgur is loving up so I can't post the tweet pic but here's the text

quote:

Ben Carson's campaign is canceling TV in huge numbers in IA & SC. In IA so far, $343k canceled.

Cancelling half a million in ad buys is deffo something a serious candidate for president does.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 8, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

Has Trump become too transparent with his :godwin: ing?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CalmDownMate posted:

In order for progressives to achieve things they have to learn to use populost rhetoric. Bernie has done ok with it but he's not very interesting.

FDR lived, breathed, and died on that stuff.

The current progressive candidates are too smart to appeal to the population. In another country that wouldn't matter.

Check his twitter, he has a lot of punchy messaging honestly. It's just that TV/Radio etc won't broadcast it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

2016 is gonna be great!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Cancelling half a million in ad buys is deffo something a serious for president does.

Carson had his 15 minutes and made a complete rear end of himself, and not in the good Trump way. He's eating poo poo and the fact that he's only just realized it is pretty sad.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Nonsense posted:

2016 is gonna be great!
I wanna question how scientific this poll is

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Nonsense posted:

2016 is gonna be great!

Am I reading this correctly, that Hispanics and blacks are more likely to support Trump's idea? :psyduck: I guess as a whole those demographics are typically Christian and/or socially conservative.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

Its powered by Bing, how can it be wrong?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Assuming that "other" includes Muslims, they should have a comfy majority in that particular bar of the chart, so I'm going to say it's probably not very scientific at all

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nonsense posted:

2016 is gonna be great!

Is this a phone/text vote thing? If so then why worry. About as reliable as a gun show background check.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nonsense posted:

2016 is gonna be great!

can we put some kind of primer on polls in the op next time

because jesus christ dude, live tv polls are the definition of meaningless

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Is this a phone/text vote thing? If so then why worry. About as reliable as a gun show background check.

It appears to be some kind of voluntary online feedback service, so garbage.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nonsense posted:

2016 is gonna be great!

Uh yeah pretty sure this is totally wrong lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

It appears to be some kind of voluntary online feedback service, so garbage.

But this online poll says that Bernie is ahead of HRC by 80 points?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

can we put some kind of primer on polls in the op next time

because jesus christ dude, live tv polls are the definition of meaningless

Better than talking about Al Gore garbage pope or whatever.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Top notch floor chart game from Chuck today.

so if guns are planes would guns be able to lift off after you put them on a giant treadmill

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

2016 is gonna be great!
If I had any reason to believe these numbers were even close to an accurate representation of the American electorate I would kill myself, so I'm glad they're from a live cable news poll.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think we're all gonna be pretty loving dismayed when the actual polls start coming out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

On American soil, he claims.

So I made the mistake of looking up a list of major shootings. This is up to 2012 by the way. http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/12/14/1337221/a-timeline-of-mass-shootings-in-the-us-since-columbine/

It literally gave me a psychosomatic headache made from depression.

EDIT: Here's another list from 2015-1985. http://ktla.com/2015/12/03/san-bernardino-rampage-is-6th-most-deadly-among-us-mass-shootings-since-1949/

If San Bernandino is the 2nd worst, then its neck and neck with about a dozen other shootings.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 8, 2015

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Nonsense posted:

2016 is gonna be great!

Id say no i want him to go further and wreck his party

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Shageletic posted:

So I made the mistake of looking up a list of major shootings. This is up to 2012 by the way. http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/12/14/1337221/a-timeline-of-mass-shootings-in-the-us-since-columbine/

It literally gave me a psychosomatic headache made from depression.

EDIT: Here's another list from 2015-1985. http://ktla.com/2015/12/03/san-bernardino-rampage-is-6th-most-deadly-among-us-mass-shootings-since-1949/

If San Bernandino is the 2nd worst, then its neck and neck with about a dozen other shootings.

And don't forget Oklahoma City. Not a shooting but was a terrorist attack.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think it's amazing how quickly we forgot about Virgina Tech. Much more deadly than San Bernardino, though possibly less emotional impact than the Sandy Hook shootings.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

And don't forget Oklahoma City. Not a shooting but was a terrorist attack.

I literally didn't even know about half of these horrors. I wish I still didn't. The only killings that reverberate are the ones used to oppress other innocents.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah of that list, only the Hasan shooting would count for him.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Radbot posted:

I think it's amazing how quickly we forgot about Virgina Tech. Much more deadly than San Bernardino, though possibly less emotional impact than the Sandy Hook shootings.

It isn't that we've forgotten, it's that our collective consciousness is habituated by a sea of gun-related violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't you understand you fools!! It's me you should be covering!! Meeeeee!!!!!!

• Locked thread